| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Choices and Advice
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:38 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

^Way to go!

I am probably going to be getting into lifting some weights soon. I need to increase my power if I'm going to be competitive racing, and that means weights, which I'm kind of stoked on, but kind of scared of because I know it will make riding feel really, really bad for a while.

PT was great. I bought an extra long foam roller and have daily exercises to work on strengthening the muscles around my shoulder, which should help me quite a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:49 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

you think so, NDP? i was so spoiled by my beloved YMCA and the super cheapness of it that i didn't realize private gyms in the US were pricey too. but it's worth it, especially if i can go there and shower in the middle of my workday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:25 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
you think so, NDP? i was so spoiled by my beloved YMCA and the super cheapness of it that i didn't realize private gyms in the US were pricey too. but it's worth it, especially if i can go there and shower in the middle of my workday.

Yeah! There are cheaper gyms, but for the most part it seems like decent ones are $60-$70 USD a month. I thought my 5 months for $44 USD not bad. I have no idea what the Y rates are though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:13 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

they were about $40US. But I'm not thinking about the dollar equivalent, i'm thinking about what it's worth locally (thinking in dollars gets weird when you realize that although you're doing quite well compared to local standards, you're making starvation wages in US thinking)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My gym is $10/month or $100 for a year. I prepaid for the year and haven't used my membership enough, but I am going to start going more. It's nothing fancy, but it's clean and all the equipment is new. I feel pretty lucky!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:10 pm 
Chard Martyr

Holy crepe, you guys have cheap gyms! I don't use the gym at my rec centre, but I do buy monthly passes for swimming that are about $77 CAD. It's worth it versus the $10 drop-in since I go at least three times a week, but I still feel kinda robbed blind whenever I purchase a new pass. The 77 includes gym facilities, so I guess if I was into that sort of thing I would use it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:39 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

jordanpattern wrote:
^Way to go!

I am probably going to be getting into lifting some weights soon. I need to increase my power if I'm going to be competitive racing, and that means weights, which I'm kind of stoked on, but kind of scared of because I know it will make riding feel really, really bad for a while.

I got on my bike for the first time in months yesterday and I could feel the power my squats gave me! That being said, five months off the saddle means even 10K was forking hard as hell. But truly there is nothing better than riding down a cherry-blossom lined street in the late afternoon sunshine. So much better than going home and lying on the couch for an extra hour post work!

Today I dead-lifted 125 lbs and squatted 80 lbs. Lifting heavy makes me feel like such a badass. NDPittman, good for you! It gets fun when you get the olympic bar involved, I promise!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:04 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

P.S. JoPa, I wanted to say that I am so impressed that you stuck with it. Toughing it out when shiitake gets hard and demoralizing is way more impressive than winning anything.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it! It feels terrible to be so far behind, but I am proud of myself for finishing. I know I'll improve, and I'll eventually be able to finish with the pack no problem. I just need to keep my head down and get through this shitty learning curve.

I did another healthy thing yesterday and bought some actual cross training shoes. I rolled my ankle last week doing a strength/plyo class in crappy 10-year-old running shoes. I came home all limpy, and my boyfriend was all like, "dude, come on," and chucked the shoes in the garbage (something I should have done years ago). Yesterday, I snagged some last-season fancy Nike cross trainers, so I can have lateral support when I'm jumping around like a nutter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:49 pm 
Dead by dawn

jordanpattern wrote:
Thanks, guys. I appreciate it! It feels terrible to be so far behind, but I am proud of myself for finishing. I know I'll improve, and I'll eventually be able to finish with the pack no problem. I just need to keep my head down and get through this shitty learning curve.

And then you'll move up a category and go through the learning curve all over again. ;) Biker boy is in his second season as a cat 2... his last cat 3 season was great, but last year he just got dropped - quickly, sometimes - from almost every race he did. This year is going much better; he's not seeing the top ten finishes he was getting in his last cat 3 season, but he's doing some good work for his team and finishing races with the pack. It's a never-ending progression, which is good if you love what you're doing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

What team is he on? I wonder if I know anyone who knows him...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:01 pm 
Dead by dawn

It's Union Bay Cycling, but their title sponsor is bikesale.com so I think everyone just knows them as "bikesale."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:06 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

jordanpattern wrote:
I need to do some work on my PMA (Positive Mental Attitude). I did crappy in a race yesterday, and I just couldn't shake the feelings of total frustration and being super mad at myself. What made it worse was the fact that I didn't WANT to be in a funk about it, but I could not snap out of it. I shouldn't even be so down on myself, since everyone else in the race that got dropped quit, and I finished. I will tell you what: it takes guts to finish out your laps all by yourself with everyone watching.

In happier news, I'm seeing my physical therapist today, so hopefully I will get on the path to strengthening my shoulder and making it feel better.

Dude PMA is what I pump during races! It totally works, when I get into a negative mind space and berate myself for mistakes it perpetuates the same feeling. The first time I had a podium finish it was because I was pumping PMA and told myself that I deserved that finish and no one else could take it from me! RAWR!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Okay, so I'd like some protein advice please!

I've been trying to eat some high-protein foods after exercise, but I'm not sure what the best things to go for are. People in my group are often on about percentages of protein in certain foods (nearly always meat or fish) and generally won't consider any plant-based sources as good enough, so seeking advice from them hasn't worked. Advice please?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:12 am 
Impressive boner

I normally go for a tofu or bean based dish, such as scrambled tofu or a chickpea curry. I sometimes have a Sun Warrior protein shake too.

I need to work on my PMA too. For short sets I was squatting 115lbs but my sets just got longer and I can't manage that weight for more reps so I've switched down to 88lbs. Same with my deadlifts. I know that overall I'm lifting more as I'm doing more reps, but I can't seem to get over that I'm lifting a lower weight.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

As regards protein percentages, I since found this: http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used ... otein.aspx

Looks like I'll be eating some more kidney beans :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:12 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I use Vega's Sport Recovery Protein powder following workouts. It has 26g per scoop, which is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Love Child wrote:
I'm a skinny and very active guy who's trying to gain muscle. I do cardio twice a week, lift weights four times a week and between that I do yoga.

I try to stick to whole foods and stay away from refined sugar. I eat a lot of peanut butter and tahini, nut based sauces, an avocado every day, huge amounts of beans and lentils, tofu, seitan and TVP. I make my own milk with nuts or almonds or seeds. For carbs I eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole wheat bread and oatmeal.
I don't eat that much fruit, maybe 1-2 a day, but I try to incorporate as much veggies as possible in my meals. I choose organic when i can. I also have a protein drink everyday.

According to this app I use for tracking my food intake, I get more than enough of fat and protein, but not enough carbs? Does that really matter though if I get enough calories in total?

Honestly, I don't think it matters. Unless you're symptomatic (hypoglycemic) getting, say, less than 30% calories from carbohydrates... but I don't think that's even possible as a vegan.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Just wanted to say... I love you guys.

It's so nice to hear people (especially women) get stoked about being strong rather than being a size 4.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm starting to do more bodyweight strength training and I'm hoping once my rent goes down (moving), I'll also be able to afford a gym. I'd love to start doing more strength training with weights and getting stronger. I've got some muscle already from the little amount I've been doing but I'd love to challenge myself in this way and improve my cardio (which I think the strength training will do). I'm going to have to work at upping my protein. I'm hitting 90 today though, so that's pretty cool!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:31 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I should update!

So, the race I posted about upthread is a weekly race that happens at a car racetrack near where I live. I did my first race there in April, and I got dropped after only one lap. I gutted it out and finished, but I felt really discouraged.

Last week, I did that race again, and I stuck with the group the whole time! I don't have much of a sprint, so I didn't finish that great, but I definitely had a HUGE improvement from that first race.

Last night, I did the race a third time, and I did really well! Well, I came in 10th, because again, no sprint, but I raced smart and rode hard. I made a lot of improvements, like staying near the front of the group so I could control the pace and not get strung out and have to work harder in corners, and I took some hard pulls and chased down some attacks. I stuck right on the wheel of some really strong girls, and I'm really, really proud of the progress I've made.

Yay!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:42 am 
Impressive boner

Well done jopa!

I started on a new part of my competition training, aiming for 18-20 snatches per minute. I've identified that I'm weaker on my right arm than my left, but managed to meet the target.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:40 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My big thing lately has been trying to drink enough water. I just don't do it. I drink water, but not nearly what I'm supposed to. I've had several days now that I've gotten about 48 oz. I know it's not much, but it's a step!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ndpittman wrote:
My big thing lately has been trying to drink enough water. I just don't do it. I drink water, but not nearly what I'm supposed to. I've had several days now that I've gotten about 48 oz. I know it's not much, but it's a step!

I think this is awesome! I'm really bad about drinking water- like I'll fill up the water bottle I keep on my desk as soon as I get to work, and some days I look at it way after lunchtime and I haven't even touched it. I've been meaning to do that thing where you draw lines on the bottle and mark each one with an hour, to keep track of what you're drinking, but I'm terribly lazy/forgetful. Actually, I'm going to go find a marker and do it right now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Also, the thing about drinking 8 glasses of water a day -- at the beginning you do pee more, but eventually your body does get used to it and things normalize.

Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next