| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Constant hunger.
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:19 am 
WELFARIST!

couroupita wrote:
I'd also be starving if I ate what you wrote. I don't exercise very much but I'm very active at work (lots of walking) and I get low blood sugar easily. I can't eat much in the morning either so I usually start with a cup of tea to wake me up and then while I'm driving to work I eat breakfast.

This is how I am! For example, yesterday before work I could only down about a few strawberries before work and didn't have time for coffee- I was ready punch everyone in the face. Then on my break I was able to eat some cashews and drink coffee and I felt a bit better and more patient after that. Then on my dinner break I was actually able to eat (veggie soup with bread and cold chai latte) and I was back to normal. If I don't eat something like pasta, bread, beans, etc then I get cranky. I need substance to my food.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Toast with pb or almond butter should be pretty light on your stomach, too--if you use a bread that has a smaller carb:fiber ratio, your body will burn through it slower (if you have access to Trader Joe's, the flax and fiber bread is good for this--it's just Rudi's 7 grain flax bread but a few dollars cheaper).

I've been eating a high-protein, low-glycemic diet for a month, and I was really surprised to realize how many headaches/little dizzy spells went away. I'm not suggesting you eat low-glycemic unless your doctor gives you a specific reason to--but I have learned that you don't really have to give up carbs to regulate blood sugar. You just have to make sure you're getting adequate fiber/fats in the same meal (both fiber and fat slow the release of carbs into your bloodstream, so you don't crash).

Another thing I think is hard to remember on a vegan diet: if you're not eating tons of junk food, then you can't really judge by quantity alone whether you're getting enough to eat. You'd be surprised at how few calories are in a days' worth of salads.

I'm only lightly active--I walk about 1 -2 hours a day (not in one go but at a pretty fast pace), and sometimes I do yoga or hula hoop on the wii. I lift some stuff at my volunteer job. Not exactly an athlete. And I still eat a huge quantity of food that ends up being a healthy amount of calories for the day. If you want to pm me, I'll share my myfitnesspal page with you (and all the recipes I have--my partner and I both work from home, so we've had the time to devise meals while looking at our laptops on the kitchen counter).

Eep. I type too much.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If you're used to eating fruit in the morning, I think a change as simple as a handful of almonds would make a difference until you're first snack time.

I was always taught that eating every few hours is normal and healthy. But if you're feeling faint and especially icky around those times instead of just hungry, that can't be good.

I'm always amazed by how few calories veggies have when put them in MyFitnessPal.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:09 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh! You guys! I hate yogurt. But I'm doing my meal planning for the week today and will definitely keep breakfast in mind. I usually don't think about it at all when I do my grocery list and then just grab a granola bar or fruit on my way out the door. I'm obviously doing myself no favors when it comes to that. Much better than I used to be, though...I used to just not eat at all until lunch time, so at least I'm getting something in there. I made a big smoothie with 1/2 a banana, 4 strawberries, 1/4 cup oats, 2 Tbsp peanut butter, and enough almond milk to blend it all up, and that kept me going for about 3 hours saturday. I was all set to do that again today, but I'm nervous about some life shiitake and my stomach is all weird and rumbly and nervous and grouchy, so...I'm failing.

Will report back with my breakfast solutions for the week!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, so I made Chloe's Mazto Brei, and while it isn't particularly good, it was filling and kept me full for longer than my usual breakfasts. I felt a little nauseous after eating it (could have been the weird texture, honestly), but nothing too bad. Hoping the increase in protein and veggies will make for happier tummy times in the future!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

Morning nausea is lousy. I'm so sorry you have to deal with it.

One thing that helps me (sometimes) is eating things that aren't classed as breakfast foods necessarily. I ate lentil soup for breakfast for a while, because it was the only thing I could keep down.

Dealing with nausea and such can be a frustrating process, because as you know, what worked yesterday might not today. Sometimes you just have to do what you need to get through a particularly bad day/week/whatever and move on. I don't think that's failing; it's just the nature of the problem. I hope you're able to find some solutions that work for you.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hmm, there was a particular medicine i was on that made me eat and eat and eat and eat and i was still hungry. It was an anti-depressant, but i can't remember the name of it as i was only on it for a few weeks. Are you on any medicines? That could be it.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:54 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

So, the am nausea could be (drumroll) hunger!
I used to get it too. But now that I am in the habit of eating breakfast I wake up hungry. I like a good granola with lots of nuts and it keeps me full till noon. I think the secret is having nuts, or some good fat with breakfast; it settles the stomach and helps with being satisfied, and protein on an empty stomach with little else would make me feel sad in my stomach.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:55 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Man, I had granola (homemade, with lots of nuts, seeds, and coconut, plus dried fruit) instead of my normal oatmeal and almond butter and fruit, and I was SO HUNGRY, like, 90 minutes later. Normally the oatmeal holds me for 2.5 hours or so at least. I can't figure it out, since it seems like it's about the same amount of calories and the same type of calories (percentage from fat, protein, etc.).

That's not helpful. It's just weird.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:04 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Not weird. The absence of the almond butter probably is the defining factor.

I need to eat more than granola on the days I hike or bike, it's just, well, that's not on the agenda these days so I'm just looking at getting through on regular days.

Workout days require nut butter in addition at the very least.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:05 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Granola NEVER takes me very far. I enjoy granola but feel like I don't get a lot of bang for my buck, energy-wise. Though, for that matter, oatmeal doesn't stick with me either. I need a lot of protein and some fat to take me very far. I've learned this the hard way!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

I always need a lot of carbs.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:29 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

That's the thing - the granola and the oatmeal both have a good amount of protein and fat, roughly the same amount. That's why I'm confused why the granola seems to stick with me so much less.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Yeah, but how much fiber are you getting?

I've become a chia seed junkie... 1 tablespoon added to my oatmeal/granola/smoothie in the morning and I'm full for hours.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:12 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Same amount. The granola has oats, oat flour, maple syrup, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, almonds, chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut, dried apricots, and raisins. Oh, and coconut oil. The oatmeal has oats, almond butter, and fruit. If anything, I'd imagine the granola has more fiber?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I wonder if your granola has more insoluble fiber, whereas the oats are soaking up more moisture and giving you that fuller feeling longer.

I dunno. Just speculating.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:11 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yeah, that could be it.

Sorry for the epic thread derail. I just thought that was weird!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Maybe the granola has more sugar in it? I feel like sweet things are less satisfying somehow.

-alice1drland