| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Withdrawal symptoms from zoloft?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I followed my dr's directions for weaning off Zoloft: I was on 2 pills/day and when I had a week's worth left I was to go to 1 a day and then quit when they were gone. I took te last one a week ago today.

When I went to 1 a day (starting ona sunday) I was knocked out aaalll day Tuesday. Same thing happened when I quit: Knocked out all day, but monday that time. Add in dizziness, little electric shock sensations that make my brain buzz, just so tired i could cry. it's a beast. please tell me this will end soon.

I haven't called my dr yet since i only just realised these are probably withdrawal symptoms a couple days ago and figured there isn't likely much she can really do...

I dunno, does this sound normal? anyone else dealt with weaning off zoloft? should i make it priority to call my dr on monday?

(sorry for typos. on phone and i am extra uncoordinated right now anyway)

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Post subject: Re: Withdrawal symptoms from zoloft?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Wow, I would call my MD. Maybe you need to step down by half doses? I had no issues going off Zoloft but was only taking 1 pill and did a super slow step down by 1/4 pills so stepping down to 0.75 then 0.5 then 0.25. And I stepped down over a month.

No one should be giving unlicensed medical advice, but if it were me, I'd probably go back up to 2 pills until Monday if the symptoms were impairing my ability to function. But I am not an MD or other health care provider.

I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by Tofulish on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:36 pm 

Yeah, I thought it seemed weird to not do every-other-day for a while maybe. But, I'm not a doctor... i will see if i can leave a msg at her office

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:10 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Every other day makes it worse from what I have seen. It's like giving your body a bit depriving giving a bit then depriving again. The withdrawals are worst the first week then then they gradually fade over 3 weeks. I withdrew from effexor XL last year and it was near torture. I could barely walk at times because of the dizziness. The electric shocks were horrible. Apparently some painkillers do help but the ones recommended I am not able to tolerate. I tapered down from 225mg over a course of 5 months. Each decrease would be about 4 weeks after the last.

Not sure what the withdrawals are for zoloft but if it is like effexor..... then it does get better and the effects don't last but do consult with your doctor just incase.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:00 pm 

On withdrawing from citalopram I was told to take 1 every other day, when I got to the lowest dose they made tablets in. I'm sure that depends on how the drug is absorbed in your body though, so Zoloft (sertraline) may not be suitable for that.

Check your patient information leaflet- it may list common withdrawal symptoms. I'm sure I remember one which said 'If you get these symptoms, go back up to your normal dose and reduce more gradually.' But that won't have been Zoloft.

Definitely talk to your doctor as soon as possible. Hope you feel better soon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

GreenDuck wrote:
On withdrawing from citalopram I was told to take 1 every other day, when I got to the lowest dose they made tablets in. I'm sure that depends on how the drug is absorbed in your body though, so Zoloft (sertraline) may not be suitable for that.

Citalopram has a longer half-life than Zoloft, so this makes sense. To be sure I'd stick to a smaller dose daily rather than every other day.

daisychain wrote:
I withdrew from effexor XL last year and it was near torture. I could barely walk at times because of the dizziness. The electric shocks were horrible.

I've heard effexor is one of the worst to come off. I take Pristiq (newer version/patent extender) and I get withdrawal symptoms within hours of missing a dose. If I ever have to come off of it completely I know I will be a complete write-off for months :(

But back to the OP
butterbobbin wrote:
does this sound normal? anyone else dealt with weaning off zoloft? should i make it priority to call my dr on monday?

Yes, it sounds completely normal, it is called SSRI discontinuation syndrome and doctors rarely mention it. Personally, I wouldn't start taking it again without talking to your dr first unless it gets really bad, since you've already been off a week and probably over the worst of it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Effexor XL is even worse than regular Effexor, at least for me. I couldn't miss a dose of the XL but when my insurance stopped covering it and I switched to regular Effexor I had no such problems and switched to Wellbutrin with no problems.

I had no withdrawal from Zoloft but everyone is different. If you have withdrawal you will at some point have to bite the bullet and go through it. After a week I would definitely be inclined to try to stick with not taking it rather than starting again, but as everyone else has said really you need to talk to your doctor.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 am 

My friend who sees the same dr reminded me of the patient portal where I canput a message through. I asked how long to expect withdrawal ick and described what's been happening. Hoping they will call back on Monday.

Thanks everyone! It's so nice to know I'm not crazy amd delusional :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:01 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I hear you on the missed dose! If I miss my morning dose I have a headache, diarrhoea and dizzy spells by lunch time. By the end of my work day I am crying. Totally fantastic look for someone who works in an acute psychiatric ward.

I will probably never get to come off meds but if that day ever did I arrive I would try take 2 weeks off of work so I could sit at home in my pjs with a stockpile of panadol, immodium and super soft toilet paper.

I know they are awful and probably the brain zaps are the worst sensation ever but it does pass. Oh and any mood related stuff in the first 3 weeks of discontinuing is probably discontinuation syndrome. So don't worry that you are relapsing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:27 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've withdrawn from a few different SSRIs over the years, including Zoloft, and your symptoms sound like they fall within what is normal for withdrawal. Not that that makes it any less unpleasant. : ) I am surprised that your doctor recommended going from 2 pills to 1 pill to zero. My doctors have always recommended cutting my pills into halves and then quarters so the taper off is very gradual, like what Tofulish said. But I'm sure your doctor had a good reason. Congrats on getting off Zoloft! I'm currently taking 100mg daily and though it's essential for my well being, I'd be happy to be rid of the side effects.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:56 am 
So Totally Yiffy

butterbobbin wrote:
Add in dizziness, little electric shock sensations that make my brain buzz, just so tired i could cry. it's a beast. please tell me this will end soon.

It will end soon!

I have been on anti-depressants a number of times in my life because well.. I get depressed more than I'd like to - but I haaate relying on drugs so I almost always nix them asap! :/

My last bout of the sads was last year and I went on my usual crutch of Paxil. I went off it yet again about 1 month ago.

Expect the zappy thingys for another week or so (depending on your body). This last time, I didn't so much find that they went away gradually or anything, I just woke up one morning to find that they were no longer.

Hang in there!

dakini wrote:
I am surprised that your doctor recommended going from 2 pills to 1 pill to zero.

^ This

Slooowly cutting back the dosage helps oodles, however I think that no matter what you do, you're going to get the zaps if you are prone to them. This last time I did this madness, I was down to 1/4 of a 20mg pill every other day before I broke free and I still had the zaps as bad as I can ever remember having tried various other ways... However, I didn't experience the nausea or other unpleasant type things that I had experienced prior.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:55 pm 

Wellll I have yet to hear back from my dr. On the plus side things seem to be much, much better, aside from the cough garbage that's unrelated. The zaps are much much fewer and it doesn't scare me to drive any more. We'll get through this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:43 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

butterbobbin wrote:
Wellll I have yet to hear back from my dr. On the plus side things seem to be much, much better, aside from the cough garbage that's unrelated. The zaps are much much fewer and it doesn't scare me to drive any more. We'll get through this.

Yay! Hang tight! Almost there! :)