| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arthritis
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:22 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Hi, PPK. Do any of you have arthritis? How are you managing it? Have you noticed any factors that make it better or worse?

I saw my doctor yesterday because I've been experiencing severe joint pain, fatigue, and headaches. He is running blood work to look for underlying causes, and in the meantime prescribed prednisone for the arthritis. I'm really nervous to take the prednisone, the side effects sound worse than the arthritis. :(

Any tips/advice regarding arthritis, or stories of taking steroids and it not being horrible are welcomed!

Post subject: Re: Arthritis
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

since your doctor has prescribed predisone, i'm guessing you're dealing with rheumatoid and not osteoarthritis. if that's the case, you can adjust your diet, add some nutritional supplements and/or herbs and even exercise to help with the systemic inflammation.

there's an informative article on LEF's site - http://www.lef.org/protocols/immune_con ... tis_01.htm

you can also try avoiding gluten for 30 days or so to see if you feel any difference in your joints. many people (including myself) react positively to a no/low gluten diet despite the skepticism surrounding it.

here's a study that reached a similar conclusion - http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/ ... /1175.full

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:47 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Dakini, don't worry about the prednisone. If you are on it for a short amount of time, you shouldn't encounter any serious side effects. I was on a short course of it over the summer and it was no problem, and really helped a lot, so I hope it's the same for you.

Soooo, if you have RA or another autoimmune disorder, you can try supplements/dietary changes, but I did not find that they made an impact for me personally. I saw a naturopath nutritionist last year who admitted (after we tried many things!) that diet doesn't tend to have as great an impact on RA. It's different for everyone, and it's possible that mine is just too severe for that to help.

I decided to take a more aggressive approach to prevent permanent joint damage and have been using Humira for a few months, and I'm not 100% where I was before RA, but it really is so much better. If you do need to go to a rheumatologist, do not be afraid to switch doctors until you find one who takes you and you concerns seriously. My second one told me I was doing fine if I could get out of bed; I am only 31 with two young children and was not okay with just letting my life go by and my joints rot away.

Anyway! Sorry that this became more about me, but I want you to know that you can and will feel better. I hope you get some answers, and best case scenario is that it's not something chronic. Good lucknand pm me if you want to ask or talk about anything :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I have osteoarthritis in my hips and my knees, but the hips are where it is far worse and flares up most often. I was prescribed prednisone during a bad episode - it was a short term dose, about a week or so. It did a great job of knocking out the pain completely and also elevated my mood significantly. I did not experience any negative side effects and the pain relief lasted for months.

Changes in diet haven't been helpful for me, although I've never disciplined myself to eliminate gluten. I find yoga, walking and gentle cycling very helpful for pain management, keeping the joints moving is key. I'm lucky that I haven't had any pain recently. My arthritis is definitely correlated with cold weather, so I'm not looking forward to winter. Basically, over the counter meds and exercise have worked for my situation, most of the time.

I hope your doctor is able to figure this out and get you some long term relief.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:03 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hi Dakini, I know your pain. :(

I have it pretty bad in one shoulder (my left) and my neck. In fact, before I knew what it was, a couple years ago I was convinced I had something seriously wrong with my heart and made my doctor run a bunch of scans and stuff on me. So the good news is my heart is totally fine (and I don't have breast cancer, which is the other thing I was scared of).

That was before I went vegan. As I was transitioning from omni to veg to vegan, I definitely noticed a correlation between eating meat and the ache getting worse. Being meatless in itself has helped curb the worst bouts of it.

Also, remembering to take my omega-3 helps mine a lot.

When it flares up and is really bad, my fingers start to go numb, so I do two things to make it bearable: 1) take a lot of Advil: 3 Advils (600 mg) every 4 hours while it's hurting. My dr says the anti-inflammatory effect of Advil can keep the flare-up from causing too much damage. She says the Advil is safe to take this way as long as it's just a few days, then I back off when I feel better. 2) A muscle relaxer. I take half a pill at bedtime. My doctor says this relaxes all the muscles holding the joint tightly together, and allows more blood flow around the joint to help reduce the swelling faster. The muscle relaxer makes a very noticable difference in how my shoulder feels the next day.