| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My experience with acupuncture…slightly unpleasant
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:03 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I’ve wanted to try acupuncture for my rosacea for quite some time now but have had trouble finding places that had experience with skin conditions and would take my insurance. A couple months ago my grandma was raving about this woman who works with her doctor every few weeks and specializes in acupuncture and Chinese herbs for skin conditions. Turns out she also accepts my insurance! I was super excited and on Saturday I had my appointment. I was pretty nervous so my mom tagged along. It didn’t go quite as I hoped. The lady…well I expected it to be different and I’m open minded but she was a bit nuts and I felt extremely uncomfortable and she asked me a ton of seriously personal and very uncomfortable questions, including ones about my love life(and in front of my mom as well.) I just did not mesh with this woman at all. I kept wanting to just get up and run away! I do not doubt her knowledge of acupuncture or herbs, the actual acupuncture session went quite well I think. I couldn’t feel the needles at all and I was pretty relaxed. After she took out the needles she went on this long rant about how I am protein deficient and need to eat eggs and just to “thank the chicken” for the egg and it should be alright and blah blah blah. I was kind of speechless and still a little traumatized from all her questions so my mom (who is also vegan) was just like yeah….sure…we’ll do that and when we got out of the building she was just like we are not doing that! I still scheduled another appointment. I would do anything to improve my rosacea and I think I’m still going to try the 5-10 sessions she recommends and hope things are less awkward next time. This is my first time trying anything like this so I’m curious if this is kinda the typical experience? Anyone else have any uncomfortable acupuncture experiences or any success stories? I’m still feeling mortified!

Post subject: Re: My experience with acupuncture…slightly unpleasant
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ugh, that sounds really like a bad experience and I understand very well why you did not like how she handled things. I certainly wouldn't have either.

I don't have any experience with acupuncture but there is one thing I firmly believe in: for any treatment to be effective, a good relationship between patient and doctor/acupuncturist/whatever is really, really important. If you don't like the person or even actively distrust them, you will probably subconciously also distrust all of their professional decisions. Which I think creates an adverse effect for the treatment (imagine a placebo effect but in reverse, also called nocebo effect).
Also, I find it wildly inappropriate that she asked you all kinds of things that made you uncomfortable and I think that these are things that she should be a lot more sensitive to.

So, if you are not feeling it with that woman, I'd say don't go. But I do understand that this is a difficult decision since you don't have many alternatives.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:41 pm 
Semen Strong

I agree with Lily. I have one acupuncturist whom I love, but she is in NYC, so its such a long trip for me to see her. So I tried another one locally, and she was a bit like yours - lots of questions, pushed the eggs and fish, and generally made me feel not so comfortable. So I just didn't go back.

I would look for other acupuncturists - ask your local friends for recommendations, and see if there is someone who is a better fit for you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Don't go back to that lady! Sounds like more trouble than it's worth to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There are some PPKers with rosacea who might be able to offer some suggestions if you start a thread with that in the title. I can't imagine that you will get anything out of a treatment given by someone who makes you that uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:12 pm 

I'll follow through with my next appointment and if I'm still not feeling it I wont go back. Portland has to have someone better! Thanks everyone for your replies, I don't feel so bad about not going back now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:05 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Does Portland have an acupuncture school? Some of the best treatment I've gotten has been from our local acupuncture institute.

I agree with those who say not to go back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:36 pm 
Semen Strong

I would definitely look for recommendations. One of the worst acupuncture treatments was at a local school, just fwiw. The needles actually really hurt a ton - and the acupuncturist said afterwards that they use cheap needles, which are far thicker than the thin ones that the professionals use.

We have community based acupuncture that is great - you don't get a private room, but the acupuncturists are fully trained and the fee is sliding scale.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:46 pm 
WRETCHED

I had a pleasant experience at an acupuncture school in Denver but it never did anything for me. It was interesting to try but I don't think I'd do it again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I used to get acupuncture done every week when I was younger. It felt nice like a good message or something, but it didn't help and was forking expensive. In the end I figured it's paying isane amounts of money for a placebo effect, I mean, at least every meta study says so and my anecdotal evidence just lines up with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:38 pm 

There is a community based acupuncture place in Portland that a lot of people seem to like. They have great reviews! I checked their website and you pay what you're comfortable with so insurance is not an issue. I think I'll call them up later and see if they have any experience with skin disorders.

I definitely know Portland has acupuncture schools but that may be a last resort for me. Needles scare me and I really want someone who knows what they're doing (and isn't using big cheap needles! yikes!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:51 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Are you on metro gel?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:34 pm 

No, I am on finacea though. I don't have any papules or pustules or even acne, just flushing and redness. But it's painful.