| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Questions About Hypothyroidism
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

GraciaKai wrote:
BUMP

A few weeks ago I went to Urgent Care because I was feeling overall crappy and run down with no real reason why because I wasn't sick with a cold or the flu. The doc said it looked like I might be anemic and they wanted to do some blood test. I finally got the results back and here's what they found.

B12 = OK
D = OK
Liver = OK
Kidneys = OK
Iron = Low but not anemic
Thyroid = High, level 4 (but I'm having a hard time figuring out what that means)

I made a follow-up appointment with my primary and she put me on a thyroid medication to lower my level. She said I should be between 1 and 2. Again, despite all of my questions I still don't have a very clear understanding of what specific thyroid test were done. I think if I call back and ask to speak with a nurse they might be able to help me better. I also have a gyno appt. scheduled in the next few weeks so I'm hoping they will have some insight as well.

I'm not sure that I had ever been tested for my thyroid before but I've basically felt like crepe my entire life and started rapidly gaining weight when I was 8 years old. No idea if kids can be effected by thyroid issues as well. But I'm really hoping that this medication will help me. I have to take it for a month and then get blood work done again to see if it's helping or not.

At the moment I am sick with bronchitis which is another one of my issues, I am always sick or feeling sickly in some way. Fingers crossed that once I kick this I can go back to working out and start feeling better.

Any words of wisdom PPK? I'm feeling mowed over by everything.

Sometimes it can take a few months to find a good balance between feeling good with hypothyrodism and the amount of meds you take. Hypothyrodism is very prevalent in my family and they've all taken a while to adjust to their medication, just wanted to say good luck to you! I hope you'll get your energy back soon and will feel better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:02 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Also, TSH is only part of the story. My internist feels it is somewhat meaningless without the other two tests, although that may be particular to me since I have Hashi's, which is an immune disorder that presents as hypo.

Anyway.

Here is a site that explains the lab work pretty well: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/re ... d-labwork/

The thyroid antibody and reverse T3 help give a more complete picture.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Has anyone ever had the problem that the medicine doesn't make you feel better? My husband is hypo (so are both of his parents) and I just found out last night he stopped taking his medicine he'd been on for a few years because he said it wasn't helping. He is tired all the time and I don't know how to help him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Aubade, maybe there's something else going on beyond hypo? That seems like the kind of thing I'd ask my doc about for further testing before going off meds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I can certainly understand the frustration of not feeling well from hypothyroidism and trying to find the right medication dose. Being hypothyroid is a hormonal imbalance and it not advisable to stop medication without bloodwork to test actual hormone levels.

I've been hypothyroid most of my adult life and have had my thyroid removed. It can take time and experience to adjust the dose of the medication that is medically appropriate and that you feel well on. You also need to monitor bloodwork regularly to make the dose remains accurate. Even after 10 years on the same dose, I recently needed an increase despite dropping 20 lbs.

When you are hypothyroid for long periods of time (months) you can become less active from fatigue and literally lose muscle. It takes time and physio to get back the physical strength and stamina.

There are 3 main readings for testing thyroid hormone: TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone); Free T3 and Free T4. Is your husband still seeing the same doctor ? Could they order bloodwork for him and workout a new treatment plan ? If his doctor is not listening to him, could he see another doctor ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

He was supposed to make an appt with the dr to get more blood work but never did. Then he just stopped taking the medicine.

He is tired all the time; doesn't do much or anything besides work & play with our kid a little. He doesn't exercise or eat very well and has gained a ton of weight. It seems like he is so tired he's just given up.

I tell him all the time it is abnormal and he has to take care if himself but he won't do anything. I guess I'm getting into different territory now but I just don't know what to do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aubade wrote:
He was supposed to make an appt with the dr to get more blood work but never did. Then he just stopped taking the medicine.

He is tired all the time; doesn't do much or anything besides work & play with our kid a little. He doesn't exercise or eat very well and has gained a ton of weight. It seems like he is so tired he's just given up.

I tell him all the time it is abnormal and he has to take care if himself but he won't do anything. I guess I'm getting into different territory now but I just don't know what to do.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband, that must be really stressful. My mother keeps stopping taking her meds as well because she doesn't like her side effects and then she stops seeing doctors etc, she also feels the doctors aren't really listening to her when she talks about her side effects. Unfortunately I can't go with her to appointments living in another continent, but what I do know is there are other medications out there and other combinations that might help as well. I second maybe talking to another doctor, I wonder what the reason is for him stopping with the meds and not wanting to see a doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Your husband sounds like me. I cant speak for him but for me its a vicious cycle of feeling exhausted, unhappy, miserable, depressed, and then I just get to plain old not giving a shiitake. And then on the days where I actually feel good and want to do something productive my bad habits and patterns take over and I normally wind up sabotaging myself by sleeping all day or eating poorly. And then I feel guily and bad about myself.

This whole thing is new to me and I have no idea how long my thyroid has been out of whack or if it is the root cause to how Ive been feeling. But in a pefect world going on meds for this will start to make me feel better and eventually I'll realize what "normal" and healthy is supposed to feel like so I have a comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:03 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Part of having the "right" thyroid dose is about how you feel. It's possible your husband has a doctor who is too focused on the numbers. Or perhaps your husband just needs to do a better job communicating how horrible he's feeling. I know I have a hard time doing that sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:16 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

My hypothyroidism has never made me feel tired but I get a lot of the other symptoms, especially when I don't take my meds regularly. Like recently, I just made a big move and forgot to pack my synthroid so I didn't take it for about a week and a half. I don't "feel" different, my meds have never made me feel better or worse. However, I get those weird side effects of hypothyroidism like my hair will start to thin out or I will bruise easily.

The hardest part for me is taking the little pill everyday. My doctor wants me to take it in the mornings about half an hour to an hour before I eat, and drink a full glass of water with it, except I wake up starving every morning and drinking water in the morning makes me want to throw up!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am so forking exhausted and I'm tired of it. My second blood test came back is being "perfect" in the words of my doctor. But I still feel like complete and total crepe. So I have an appointment scheduled with an endocrinologist.

I was doing good for a few weeks. Was going to the gym three nights a week and overall feeling better. Then this past Saturday I crashed. I slept for 15 hours and was still totally wiped for the rest of the night. Sunday I ok, had some me time with my friends and went for breakfast and a pedicure. But then come Monday I couldn't wake up and get out of bed, so I took a sick day. And then proceeded to sleep for almost 30 hours. I was basically in bed from Sunday night at 10pm to Tuesday morning at 5am when it was time to get up for work.

Trying not to complain and be miserable, but this really freaking sucks. I've been like this my whole life, but now that I have something to blame it on I'm angry. Why is that? Before I would just fight it and be miserable because if I actually slept as much as I wanted or felt like I needed to I would not be able to hold down a job. But now that I actually know what the reason for my life long exhaustion has been I feel really bitter and jaded and mad at all of the people who made me feel like a slacker for sleeping my life away. Sorry, I'm having a ranty kind of day over here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:30 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
My second blood test came back is being "perfect" in the words of my doctor.

Yup, get a new doctor. Are all of your levels being tested? The "normal" range is too wide; people can be experiencing hypo or hashi's with a couple of normal numbers. All the numbers need to be tested to get the whole picture. Some doctor's just don't care enough to look into this holistically and it is a huge disservice to patients.

My university doctor only tests one level and says I should take less thyroid. If I followed this advice I would feel awful.

My holistic doctor is the one who keeps me in check.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks, I'm trying to source new docs. She is my primary which I need for insurance and really I only ever see her once a year for my free routine physical or if I get a cold that won't go away. Hopefully the endocrinologist will be better and helpful, if not I'm on to the next.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:45 pm 

Good luck, GK. I do know how frustrating this is.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ugh. Looks like I need to get tested again and pay close attention to the results and all of that. The last few times I didn't even pay attention - just let the doc renew the scrip based on the results. But the last 6-8 months have been bad and I wasn't even considering them thyroid related until now. It's going to seem obvious when I share the symptoms, but I had been taking the meds for granted and assuming the right dose. I may need a change in dosage.

I've been super tired and in need of a lot of extra sleep. I'm sweating a lot at night. I've developed eczema for the first time in my life. I chalked the energy up to needing to work out, but that's a shame game I play with myself. It's more likely that these things are related to my thyroid.

I'm just wondering if the test could say I'm fine, but I could still need a higher dose. Is that possible? I'm sick of feeling exhausted.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:47 am 

You could be at the upper range of "OK," but would feel physically better at the lower range. A good doctor will take that into account.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mollyjade wrote:
You could be at the upper range of "OK," but would feel physically better at the lower range. A good doctor will take that into account.

I'm hoping so. I'm just seeing a GP, but I used to see an endocrinologist in the states. I'm getting bloodwork on Monday and am going to see the doc as soon as those are ready.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I found my old results. Could someone help me read these? I think I understand, but it seems like you guys have a better understanding of these numbers.

April 2011:
TSH - 2.6
T4 - 17.1

Feb 2012:
TSH - 3.5
T4 - 16.6

I haven't been tested since that last time and they didn't adjust my dose at all so I suppose the TSH could still be creeping up. The normal levels for TSH in the Netherlands are 0.4-4.3 and normal for T4 is 11-25.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:51 pm 

A lot of doctors here use a similar reference range, though some endos think the upper range should be 3. But they also recommend getting retesting once a year.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:33 pm 

pickledtreats wrote:
I found my old results. Could someone help me read these? I think I understand, but it seems like you guys have a better understanding of these numbers.

April 2011:
TSH - 2.6
T4 - 17.1

Feb 2012:
TSH - 3.5
T4 - 16.6

I haven't been tested since that last time and they didn't adjust my dose at all so I suppose the TSH could still be creeping up. The normal levels for TSH in the Netherlands are 0.4-4.3 and normal for T4 is 11-25.

There are lots of explanations on the Stop the Thyroid Madness site I posted about. That's where I go to look at my numbers. I don't have the ranges memorized!

Also, I get checked 2 to 3x per year.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I may talk to my GP about getting tested at least twice a year. I felt like things were better controlled back then when I was getting more frequent tests and seeing an endocrinologist.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Stop the Thyroid Madness website is great, thanks ~Sz!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm so impatient right now. It feels like the symptoms are getting worse faster - if that's possible. I'm so, so exhausted. 10 hours of sleep plus three hours of naps a day. Killer confusion - or "brain fog" as they would call it. I'm on a week of holiday from school and it has been ruined by tiredness, so I'm ready to turn this thing around. The blood results will be back on Thursday and I'm going to make an appointment with my GP who I hope will help me. I'm going crazy! Are there any ways to naturally help some of the symptoms while I'm waiting?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I saw some natural Thyroid supplements at Whole Foods in the vitamins section, but I'm sure it would just be an herb concoction that may or may not do anything.

I'm with you though! Trust me, I wake up every morning and think all I have to do is get through today and then hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow. But then tomorrow comes and I don't feel better, so I wind up saying things like I can't wait for Saturday to come! I'm gonna sleep so hard on Saturday! And then I do and I feel terrible about it because I'm not getting anything productive done and my husband spends his one day off a week alone or napping with me. I can't really handle life right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:06 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

My friend swears by Gaia thyroid support supplement. I've been taking it in addition to my regular synthroid & honestly haven't noticed a difference at all. I've begun to feel exhausted all the time now - slept for 13 hours Saturday into Sunday and then another 11 hours last night. Between going back to full-time 12hour nights and trying to revert to a "normal" sleep schedule on my days off, I'm sure my thyroid is crazily unbalanced right now. I hope you find something that works for you, GK.