| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Questions About Hypothyroidism
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Got my results and they are still within the normal range. Sigh. But I've made an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow morning anyway, because I feel horrible. I've got a list of symptoms to take with me. I'm hoping he either refers me out or decides to test other things. I can't accept that this is normal!

The numbers were TSH: 3.2 and T4: 18.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sorry PT. If you look on the Stop the Thyroid Madness website there is a list of suggested blood work to have done that goes above and beyond the norm. Hopefully your doc won't scoff at you for wanting extra testing done. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:37 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ive been feeling better since I've lowered my dosage. My levels are now too low again but my hair is full, I dont feel like someone is choking me all the time and I can sleep most nights. I dont know, maybe my body prefers a slow metabolism or something...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Ive been feeling better since I've lowered my dosage. My levels are now too low again but my hair is full, I dont feel like someone is choking me all the time and I can sleep most nights. I dont know, maybe my body prefers a slow metabolism or something...

That seems to be the more important part - that your body feels better at these levels. Normal is such a dangerous word. I used to experience it a lot with fevers. My brother and I have naturally low body temps, so when we get a fever - even a low grade one - we feel horrible and it's a sign that we're sick. However, docs just assume it's nothing too big to worry about because it's so close to "normal".

I seem to have every side effect of hypothyroidism except for the hair thing. My hair grows so fast. My throat is a problem and has been for some years now. I clear my throat and gag/cough a lot. I thought it was my allergies or maybe even reflux, but I've noticed from pictures that my goiter is getting bigger, so it could be the thyroid after all.

I only have a ten minute appointment with the doc tomorrow, but I'm going to be really clear with him. I have a list if symptoms - a number of which I've seen him for in the past.

I have tried to get him to test my b12 numerous times now, but he says I don't have symptoms necessitating it. He sent me to get something checked to see if I was anemic, which I wasn't, so he decided the b12 wasn't necessary. I've told him numerous times that I'm vegan and I learned recently that hypothyroid people can also be at risk for b12 deficiency. I'm hoping this time I can convince him, because I've been vegan for 8 years and have never had a b12 test and I'm not good at remembering to take a supplement.

If worse comes to worse, I can pay 50 euro to have it tested through one of those private companies.

The Stop the Thyroid madness site lists a ton of tests that I'm not sure he would ever agree to, but maybe I can convince him of at least getting a full panel with the t3 and b12. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Any luck PT?

I saw the endocrinologist on Tuesday and it was a total waste of time. She refused to test me for cortisol, insulin or any of the other thyroid functions. She re-order me a blood test for TSH only which I'm not going to get done. I almost punched her and walked out at one point. When I was asking her about insulin levels being a concern she said "well at your weight...". I wanted to ask for my 40 dollar co-pay back.

A friend of mine did some research for me online and I found another doctor to see who has a lot of really good reviews online and I'm seeing him next week. So hopefully he will be better!

Meanwhile, I'm still feeling totally run down and this brain fog thing is a bisque.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

GK, please file a complaint with your doctor's office. The comment she made about your weight is totally unprofessional. Health care providers are supposed to provide care, compassionately, and listen to their patients' concerns. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, and I really hope that your next provider will be much more professional and in-tune with your needs.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks Scooter. I was doing research on websites that provide doctor reviews today. I plan to leave reviews on lots of websites! I went to a leading university hospital in Philadelphia, not good.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GraciaKai wrote:
Any luck PT?

I saw the endocrinologist on Tuesday and it was a total waste of time. She refused to test me for cortisol, insulin or any of the other thyroid functions. She re-order me a blood test for TSH only which I'm not going to get done. I almost punched her and walked out at one point. When I was asking her about insulin levels being a concern she said "well at your weight...". I wanted to ask for my 40 dollar co-pay back.

A friend of mine did some research for me online and I found another doctor to see who has a lot of really good reviews online and I'm seeing him next week. So hopefully he will be better!

Meanwhile, I'm still feeling totally run down and this brain fog thing is a bisque.

shiitake, GraciaKai...I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience! I hope you have better luck with the new doctor you found. It's bad enough to have to chase down doctors when you're feeling like shiitake, but to have them treat you poorly makes it so much worse. :(

I saw the endocrinologist this past week and he ran a bunch of bloodwork and did a chest x-ray. I didn't have all of the blood results back on Tuesday, but they are ready now and they are going to mail them to me so I can see the rest. The doctor ordered a CT scan, which I have to do on Thursday.

I'm so glad he finally tested my b12, though, since my GP refused to do it unless I was anemic. I'm at 237, which to me is getting pretty low. I read online that people between 200 and 500 can experience deficiency symptoms. Not sure what to do about this other than to take more b12?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Are you taking a chewable b12? Add more nooch to your diet?

Glad to hear your doc was cooperative and helpful!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GraciaKai wrote:
Are you taking a chewable b12? Add more nooch to your diet?

Glad to hear your doc was cooperative and helpful!

I'm taking a sublingual b12, but I've admittedly just started taking it regularly. Before I would take it now and then, forget for a while, then remember to take it. Repeat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:22 am 
BAD PASS

I finally made an appointment to get my thyroid checked out, but it's not until December 8th. I'm trying not to get my hopes up that they'll find something with an easy solution, but... god, I hope so.

I've been overweight since I was a kid, but I've gone through a couple of major weight losses (and re-gains/partial re-gains), and I think my metabolism is just shot at this point. For the last 3-4 months I've been running nearly every day (usually 2 miles at lunchtime), doing some weight exercises when I get home, eating much healthier (tons of produce, limiting processed foods), and I haven't lost an ounce (I have quite a bit to lose). I don't know what the problem is. Losing weight has always been hard-ish for me, but now it seems like it's impossible, no matter what I do.

I'm not sure what to expect when I go in to talk to the doctor, but I am keeping a food/exercise journal to give him. GraciaKai's experience makes me nervous. If I go to a doctor for help with my weight, and he makes a snide comment about it, I'm not sure I'll be able to handle it.