| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm sick and I'm also eating like crepe!
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm dealing with some weird health problems lately. My doc has run some blood tests (all normal) and so now I'm seeing an internist this coming week. The internist specializes in endocrinology, which is good because I've been taking meds for hypothyroidism for a few years now. My symptoms could be any number of things - the scariest of them being cancer - but I'm trying not to freak out (easier said than done).

It's frustrating being sick and not knowing what's wrong, because I'm not sure what I can actually do to improve things. I'm a bit of a control freak and want to fix everything right now, which I know isn't possible. However, I at the least want to work hard to help my body where it can be helped.

Which brings me to the food thing. I've been eating total crepe. Lots of carbs, junk, very few veggies or fruits. I've been reaching for convenience and sustenance over actually nourishing my body. I know this isn't the reason for my symptoms, but it can't be helping. I'm trying not to beat myself up about this, but I do want to at least try and work more fruits and veggies into my diet in the coming weeks.

I've been skipping meals and forgetting to pack my lunch for work, because one of my symptoms has been a lower appetite. I've been extra tired and sleeping a lot, which doesn't leave much time for prepping elaborate, healthy meals.

Anyone have ideas for how to manage this part of being sick? I want to help my body, but I'm also so freaking exhausted and my brain sometimes can't even handle the idea of putting together a healthy meal. It seems like all too much. Ughhh. :(

Post subject: Re: I'm sick and I'm also eating like crepe!
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:03 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My first thought is smoothies. Easy to prep and to ingest, and you can cram lots of good fruit and veg in. I go for soya milk, frozen pumpkin, frozen berries, dried apricots, maybe a few green leaves and flax seeds, but obviously there are a million variations.

Also, is getting someone else to prepare meals for you for a while an option while you're feeling so rough?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

dropscone wrote:
My first thought is smoothies. Easy to prep and to ingest, and you can cram lots of good fruit and veg in. I go for soya milk, frozen pumpkin, frozen berries, dried apricots, maybe a few green leaves and flax seeds, but obviously there are a million variations.

Also, is getting someone else to prepare meals for you for a while an option while you're feeling so rough?

My boyfriend would be happy to help, I'm sure, but I'm not the best at asking for that help. He's been doing so much lately (the shopping, the cleaning, etc.), but I suppose this is just as important.

We have an awesome blender and I should eat more smoothies. I'm going to see what we have in the freezer and maybe he can help me put together some "smoothie kits" this weekend so I at least have something to give me vitamins in the morning. Thanks, dropscone!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

pickledtreats, I'm sorry you are feeling so crappy! I totally understand that pull of knowing you need to prepare and shovel down health-giving foods but not finding the time, energy, or want to make it happen!

I'm not sure if this option is available for you, but when I was recently feeling this way (and felt so deep in a rut about not wanting to eat full healthy meals), I allowed myself a budget for the occasional really healthy lunch out. I am lucky in that a local place has this amazingly delicious and nourishing dish with sweet potatoes, heaps of kale and mushrooms, lentils, and a cashew hollandaise sauce that makes me feel like a million bucks and I can crave it even when I'm certain I don't want to eat. Yes, I could easily make that myself, but I would give up and just eat the baked sweet potato before bothering with the really healthy stuff. If you have the budget and access to a place with reasonably priced healthy lunches, even going once a week helps get you back on track for craving healthy meals, or it did for me!

Smoothies are great too, but I find them hard to "crave." Maybe if you find some energy on a day you aren't working you can manage to make a bit pot of soup with plenty of vegetables and freeze/portion it for work lunches if you have access to a microwave. I find soups the cheapest and easiest way to consume all sorts of vegetables, and they are a blast to create without recipes.

I hope you feel much better soon!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:48 am 
Saggy Butt

Here's another thumbs up for smoothies and soup. To kick up the crave factor on smoothies, a scoop or two of sorbet really helps! Can also add a spoon of fortified protein powder for extra nutritional goodness. For soup try something like minestrone, that lets you use a bunch of different veggies. Carrots, celery, zucchini, spinach, squash, tomatoes, etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks, guys! If I was back home in the states I would have plenty of options for healthy, delicious take-out. However, I'm in a town in the Netherlands that just sucks for takeout in general...forget healthy stuff.

I know that I crave peanut sauce and love it. I was thinking about trying to figure out a more healthy, less bready version of the bahn-mi in Isa Does It that is also easy to prep ahead. I'm not sure what I am imagining nor if it's easy, but I want it! I'm picturing something like Kittee's salad rolls in a rice wrapper, but with lots of veggies and pickles and a dipping sauce made of that bahn mi sauce. NOM.

My appetite seems to be working today, thank goodness. I couldn't eat until 3 p.m. today and managed to eat some raspberries before I actually got an appetite. Weird body!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:06 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Not take-out, but Albert Heijn actually has a few vegan salads now. I really like the quinoa salad with edame, nuts and orange dressing. There's also a couscous salad, a bulghur salad with blueberries and a grilled vegetable salad that I haven't tried. HEMA also has a salad with edamame and other healthy goodies. You might be able to find those where you live?

Another option might be a humble tub of hummus and a bag of snack veggies. You can get those in most stores. Add some whole wheat crackers and you have a reasonably healthy meal.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm going to back the soup suggestion like crazy. Especially recipes like this one, who come together super quickly, taste good and are healthy. This one is light but satisfying and makes lots. Add crackers and you're set.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bean-soup- ... etail.aspx

Obviously pretend it says vegetable broth where it says chicken stock. I use bouillon and canned diced tomatoes instead of the fresh making it stupidly easy.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:19 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

What Mars Cooks When He Feels A Complete Lack Of Motivation (Which Is A Lot):

1 package instant Ramen Noodles
3-or-so leaves of Kale
1 scoop Thai Curry Paste (optional)
1 splasheroo of Tamari (optional)
1 scoop Fat Of Choice (coconut is my go-to) (also optional)
1 squirt Sriracha (optional)
1 chunk grated Ginger (optional)
1/4 squeeze of Lemon (optional)
1 bowls worth of Boiling Hot Water

This is actually a pretty healthy meal, depending on what kind of ramen you buy! You just put all ingredients in a bowl and wait a couple minutes for the ramen and kale to get soft. Great quick way to get a hefty bit of kale in your belly. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks guys. I ended up getting takeout last night, which given my appetite, lasted into breakfast. I am going to make a minestrone or something today so I have soup for lunch tomorrow. I need more produce in my life! I know minestrone is supposed to have pasta of some sort (right?), but I'm going to skip that part.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made something! Today I actually have some energy so I've wisely applied it to "laundry mountain" and to making a big pot of veggie soup. I threw everything in there, including shredded cabbage from a languishing half-head in the fridge. A can of white beans for protein and I have a healthy soup on my hands!

Thomas is taking two portions to his ailing grandparents today. His grandma is quite ill and usually does the cooking. It feels nice not only to have today's dinner and tomorrow's lunch sorted, but to help others, too. I wish y'all lived eat me do we could do soup/stew swaps.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:37 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm sorry you're having health issues and feeling like crepe, pickledtreats. I hope that you get answers soon.

Soup is indeed a great idea! I've also been known to do a two minute noodle thing (Conimex Woknoedels from the AH) in broth (bouillon cube) with a bunch of veggies and cubed tofu thrown in. A splash of tamari, a splash of sesame-chili oil. Bingo, five minute soup.

Like Cornelie, I also like a big tub of (store-bought) hummus with slices of cucumbers, roasted peppers, cherry tomatoes and toasted pita as a healthy but easy meal.

I also rely a lot on frozen veggies when I'm too tired to cook. Sometimes I'll just make myself a sandwich and then for on the side I'll throw some frozen broccoli or carrots or brussel sprouts in the microwave with a splash of olive oil and some freshly ground pepper, sprinkle with nooch and eat out of a bowl.

For fruit, I love a big bowl of berries with yogurt for dessert.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks, lepelaar! I hope it gets sorted soon, too. I had a weekend where I had energy and that made me so hopeful, but now I'm dipping again and feeling sick. Oh well one good day is better than no good days. I have an appointment with an internist here on Tuesday and I'm hoping he gets to the bottom of it.

I'll try the quick soup idea. I have some yummy Thai curry pastes that make things special. For now I have some veggie soup cooling for lunches. At least I won't skip meals this week!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:26 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Do you like coconut milk curries? That's my go-to when I don't feel like cooking. I just throw a bag of frozen veggies, tofu cubes, curry paste and a can of coconut milk in a pot and cook it until everything is hot. Make some rice to go with it, and done!

I really hope you find out what's going on and start feeling better soon!