| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Being a lady and infection prone (ie UTI, etc)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Quote:
I had a slight UTI for six weeks now... mild issues, went away when I drank a lot.
Didn't want to go to the doctor because I hate antibiotics.
But yesterday the pain really got me. Luckily I remembered this treatment for home:

Cook stinging nettle leaves, horsetail, sage and yarrow ( about 2 handful in 2 l) for 10 min in water.
Put the hot water with the herbs in a bucket and sit over it for 10 min: the steam is an immediate relief.

Of course I will go to the doc today and will take my medication.

Great idea: First doc tortured me (urethra smear). Then I had to wait another week for the results. Finally I got some antibiotics and voilà: candida. So another strong medication against candida. My lady parts are sore and hurt like hell.

Fork them all. Back to my bucket.

Next week I have an appointment with a traditional chinese doctor - hopefully accupuncture, evil tasting herbal tisanes and some advices about diet will help.

Last edited by ladyofchaos on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:42 am 
Huffs Nooch

I am very prone to UTIs, love my life, NOT.

Along with always peeing before and after sex (as hot as that sounds, rawrrr!), I have some urinary tract health tea ready at all times and if I ever feel a UTI coming on (I know the feeling VERY well), I purchase the 100% cranberry juice and chug the whole small bottle. It's pretty gross and superbly sour, but better than going to the doctor because my insurance has deemed my UTI predisposition as a pre-existing condition not covered. Freaking effers!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:31 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Mushrooni wrote:
It's pretty gross and superbly sour, but better than going to the doctor because my insurance has deemed my UTI predisposition as a pre-existing condition not covered. Freaking effers!

What the heck?! That is insane. What if your uti turns into a kidney infection?

Heads' up that my doctor wrote me a scrip for treatment antibiotics, just to have in case I get a uti. Maybe if you're at the doctor sometime, you could mention your predicament and get a scrip? I didn't even ask for it, just mentioned that I usually get them at 3 a.m. Sunday morning when the only thing that's open is the emergency room, and he said, "let me give you this so you don't have to worry about going to the doctor. you know if you have one."

But holy shiitake, I can't believe that was deemed a pre-existing condition.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:43 am 
Huffs Nooch

Good idea . . . my mom used to do that with our old family doctor. I'm a little hesitant about asking him for just-in-case antibiotics since my mom still sees him, but maybe I need to charm my doctor into hooking me up . . . but she likes to tack on charges . . . hmm . . .

Yes, Aetna can suck it, for real. Last time I've ever being truthful when applying for health insurance. Apparently admitting you've had a UTI within the last year = preexisting condition to them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:15 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Mushrooni wrote:
Yes, Aetna can suck it, for real. Last time I've ever being truthful when applying for health insurance. Apparently admitting you've had a UTI within the last year = preexisting condition to them.

Yikes...that is the student health insurance that I have... Good thing it has been over a year since I first got it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:21 am 
So Totally Yiffy

For some people, taking baths can cause chronic UTI. For some it is caused from not showering and cleaning up before the bath (i guess the bacteria on your body getting in the bath water you sit in?) For others it is caused by the soaps they use in the bath water (or salts or oils, etc).

For those complaining of the recurring yeast infections... Check your sugars!!! I had a constant yeast infection for like 2 months before they finally tested my sugars and found out I was diabetic. Once my diabetes was until control they were able to get rid of the yeast infection.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey all...some great stuff on this thread. I've been having issues similar to simplybecause, boyfriend and I have been together for ten months (same level of sexing throughout) but I've been getting chronic yeast infections for the past five months. Doc tested and confirmed it was a raging yeast infection, and after some diflucan and monistat didn't do it, she put me on a 6-month suppressive treatment of weekly diflucan. To no avail, so far.
Will try the garlic for sure tonight, after oink's testimonial. I guess I was wondering if it'd be worth it to try taking out my IUD to see if that helps. It's a hormonal Mirena IUD (wanted copper but got talked out of it) and I've been having insane erratic painful cramping and the yeast infections don't stop. I saw that tinglepants! was getting infections because of hormonal BC, so i figured, while I'm not having sex while on suppressant therapy and waiting for this stuff to get better anyway, maybe I could try that too.
I'm feeling like the oral thing could be a big issue too. The boyfriend (bless his perfect little self) spends a lot of time with his mouth, um, down there - so maybe that's a big factor. He also has to use a steroid inhaler a few times a day - steroids apparently cause thrush in peoples' mouths sometimes, and he doesn't appear to have symptoms, but I don't know if that has anything at all to do with causing the stuff in my ladyparts.
If it makes any difference - never had infections down there before my IUD, sister and mom have a history of being prone to similar infections, I've never been tested for allergies...

Ugh.
Had to vent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Yeah, I'm definitely an infection prone kind of girl. It's either a yeast infection or UTI brewing down there...sometimes I feel like I need my own defense system for those parts. I pretty much try to do what everyone else has mentioned, drink lots of water (though I need to do better), pee after sex, etc, but the tendency is still there. I have found tea tree oil helpful in dealing with yeast infections. I put a couple of drops on a tampon and leave it in overnight. Sometimes I do this two days in a row. It works well and is not as messy as OTC creams. I have done the garlic thing in the past and have had success as well, though if a foreign scent has to eminate from these places I do prefer the tea tree...

I try to drink a lot of cranberry juice (100% no sugar if possible, meaning if I can dish out the $8 vs $3) but think I might just start taking pill form supplements everyday.

These kinds of problems are just teh fail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:40 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

1st UTI ever and I'm a month into not having health insurance! gah! I'm chugging water and cranberry juice.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:11 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Rust&GoldMachine wrote:
1st UTI ever and I'm a month into not having health insurance! gah! I'm chugging water and cranberry juice.

But if it doesn't go away within a eday or two, or gets worse, please see the doctor anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:29 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

tinglepants! wrote:
Rust&GoldMachine wrote:

But if it doesn't go away within a eday or two, or gets worse, please see the doctor anyway!

I will! My body likes to wait for the second I don't have health insurance and then fork me over. When I actually have access to a doctor, everything's kosher. Thanks, body.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:01 pm 

I'm wondering if I have the beginnings of one (again)...which is unfortunate. Does sexy time aggravate things if you are starting to develop one but don't know it? I was at the boy's house last night, so I didn't have any cranberry pills with me to take after and this morning, but I don't think that I could develop one that quickly. I'm going to take the pills when I get home from work, and I've increased my water intake today. I'll drink some cranberry juice when I get home as well. This had better not be happening for a 3rd time in just as many months...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

simplybecause81 wrote:
I'm wondering if I have the beginnings of one (again)...which is unfortunate. Does sexy time aggravate things if you are starting to develop one but don't know it? I was at the boy's house last night, so I didn't have any cranberry pills with me to take after and this morning, but I don't think that I could develop one that quickly. I'm going to take the pills when I get home from work, and I've increased my water intake today. I'll drink some cranberry juice when I get home as well. This had better not be happening for a 3rd time in just as many months...

In my experience, yes, having sex definitely aggravates a UTI. I had a very mild one once, had sex, and three hours later was in urgent care.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Around 80% of UTI's are caused by e-coli. The best thing to do as others have said is to wipe front to back, and try to avoid contact with the anal region during sex.

And as far as the yeast infections go, they can also be caused by washing too much down there. Some people say to just use water, but I use summer's eve wash since it's ph balanced. The vagina is acidic which keeps bacteria and yeast from growing. If you wash away all of the acid with soap, you are creating a great environment for these substances to grow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Kelpy wrote:
I guess I was wondering if it'd be worth it to try taking out my IUD to see if that helps. It's a hormonal Mirena IUD (wanted copper but got talked out of it) and I've been having insane erratic painful cramping and the yeast infections don't stop. I saw that tinglepants! was getting infections because of hormonal BC, so i figured, while I'm not quietly playing chess while on suppressant therapy and waiting for this stuff to get better anyway, maybe I could try that too.
I'm feeling like the oral thing could be a big issue too. The boyfriend (bless his perfect little self) spends a lot of time with his mouth, um, down there - so maybe that's a big factor. He also has to use a steroid inhaler a few times a day - steroids apparently cause thrush in peoples' mouths sometimes, and he doesn't appear to have symptoms, but I don't know if that has anything at all to do with causing the stuff in my ladyparts.
If it makes any difference - never had infections down there before my IUD, sister and mom have a history of being prone to similar infections, I've never been tested for allergies...

It's worth asking your doctor--especially if, aside from the infections, you're having painful cramps. That's where I'd start, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:52 am 

Holy hell. I'm traveling and get home to the parents today, and I think I may have another UTI. Definitely had some weirdness when peeing this morning. If it continues today I'll be so pissed because I'm not near my normal student health care provider. PLUS I've been peeing before and after sex, washing off in the shower, and taking cranberry pills pretty much the day after it happens. I'm trying to take so many precautions, so if it turns out to be a UTI again I'm going to be so mad. I've never had one until 3-4 months ago, so this is driving me crazy!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks tinglepants, I had a followup with my OB and we had my IUD removed, so I'll see how it goes. I think based on my hormones going a little crazy right now and all of the bleedy insanity that it'll probably take a few weeks for the infection to clear up, if that's what it is. Pretty mild at the moment, still on weekly diflucan. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i've seemed to become more prone in the last year.. 2 yeast infections, 3 UTIs. one UTI was so bad that i had to get 2x antibiotics and it lasted almost 10 days. i felt horrible.. even got a fever and everything. ugh.

i woke up 2 days ago with the starting UTI-feeling, luckily i managed to flush it away with insane amounts of water and cranberry juice. otherwise christmas eve would not have been fun..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

I think I have my first yeast infection. I've been feeling weird for a day or two but hoping that it will just go away. Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:05 pm 
Impressive boner

I have a tendancy to develop UTIs and thrush after sex, which doesn't happen very often because I have lichen sclerosus too. My lady garden hates me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:33 pm 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

So I have a UTI from hell right now. I know exactly how I got it, and it's totally my fault (note to self: hot tub sex, baaaad idea) we were on vacation last week and Thursday I started showing symptoms. So I started taking Vitamin C pills since I knew I couldn't get to a doc until this week. New Years festivities plus traveling means not enough water, so I think I made it even worse. I had to get back to work yesterday, and so I still haven't gone to the dr. and the pain when I pee is killing me. It's blinding sharp pain every time. Ugh! At least I got coverage to get to the Dr. tomorrow morning. I'm so annoyed right now, not how I wanted to start my year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh Shiitake wrote:
So I have a UTI from hell right now. I know exactly how I got it, and it's totally my fault (note to self: hot tub sex, baaaad idea) we were on vacation last week and Thursday I started showing symptoms. So I started taking Vitamin C pills since I knew I couldn't get to a doc until this week. New Years festivities plus traveling means not enough water, so I think I made it even worse. I had to get back to work yesterday, and so I still haven't gone to the dr. and the pain when I pee is killing me. It's blinding sharp pain every time. Ugh! At least I got coverage to get to the Dr. tomorrow morning. I'm so annoyed right now, not how I wanted to start my year.

Holy shiitake! I've never been able to wait more than 45 minutes before rushing panic-stricken to the doctor. I usually go to urgent care because I can't stand to wait for an appointment. Hope you get meds and start feeling better soon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:55 am 
Can ride a bike, drink a Blue Sky, and eat some Stonewall's all the same time (bad ass)

Thanks pop. I know, I really didn't want to have to wait this long to get some meds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:12 pm 

Planned Parenthood saved the day. I left them a nice donation today, I wish I could give more. They've gotten my asparagus (ha!) outta trouble many times.

So it turns out I went and got myself not just one, but two infections! Good job! A UTI and Cervicitis (inflammation of the cervix). Just took my meds, and I was able to get the rest of the day off. Phew. Thanks for listening, it's nice to know there's a place to go to vent about my, ahem, lady issues.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Kelpy wrote:
Thanks tinglepants, I had a followup with my OB and we had my IUD removed, so I'll see how it goes. I think based on my hormones going a little crazy right now and all of the bleedy insanity that it'll probably take a few weeks for the infection to clear up, if that's what it is. Pretty mild at the moment, still on weekly diflucan. Sigh.

I used to get yeast infections almost every month, but when I switched my main form of contraception from condoms to an IUD, they WENT AWAY. I suspect it's more that my body hated condoms* than the antimicrobial properties of copper, but if you ever want to try an IUD again, Paragard (the copper one) has been a miracle for me.

*-Though I used to get them often even when I wasn't sexually active. So maybe it's that copper and I are BFFs.