| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: How is your body betraying you?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:31 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Operation Don't Sleep on My Left Side in order to make my shoulder hurt less is not going so well. I keep waking up…on my left side. I've also taken all of the heavy things out of my bag and am wearing in on my right shoulder instead of crossways from my left shoulder. And stretching it and massaging it when I have time/am alone. Still hurts really bad.

8ball, did you go to the doctor for yours? If so, what did they say? (Even though I'm unsure whether we have the same injury, I'm going to adopt your method of getting better since I can't go to a doctor myself. Seems like a solid plan.)

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:58 pm 
Impressive boner

I didn't this time as it seemed to improve with rest. It might be worthwhile using a backpack if you can, so you don't have a sore right shoulder as well.

I found that a foam roller can help, as can a hockey ball between your shoulder and the wall and rolling it about a bit. A hot water bottle could also help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

8ball wrote:
I didn't this time as it seemed to improve with rest. It might be worthwhile using a backpack if you can, so you don't have a sore right shoulder as well.

I found that a foam roller can help, as can a hockey ball between your shoulder and the wall and rolling it about a bit. A hot water bottle could also help.

Thanks for the advice! When I hurt it in high school, I just remember doing a certain stretch and they hooked up my shoulder to electrode things and made my muscles jump around in PT.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:43 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I have a nagging shoulder injury. It responds pretty well to lying on a heating pad, muscle relaxers, and using a lacrosse ball to work out the tension/knots (you lie on the ball and kind of move it around, settling in a bit where it's really tight). I've done PT, and it helped some, but the best thing for it has seemed to be eliminating things that aggravate it as much as possible, and the heating pad/lacrosse ball.

Also, don't beat yourself up for not being perfect about taking care of yourself. We all have weeks when we just feel like crepe, whether it's because we're too busy or tired to cook and eat badly, or aren't sleeping, or are fighting off a cold or something. Looking after yourself is important, but that includes not holding yourself to unrealistic or unreasonable standards. I read about your two jobs and how much time you spend at T's place, and I'd be goddamn exhausted too if I had that schedule!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thanks, jopa. I have a hard time letting myself off the hook.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:33 pm 
Impressive boner

jordanpattern wrote:
(you lie on the ball and kind of move it around, settling in a bit where it's really tight)

You expressed what I meant much better than I did! This can temporarily loosen up my bad knots and even stop pain.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:47 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

How big is one of these balls? Like tennis ball sized? (Meaning, can I use a tennis ball?)

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:27 am 
WELFARIST!

jordanpattern wrote:
Also, don't beat yourself up for not being perfect about taking care of yourself. We all have weeks when we just feel like crepe, whether it's because we're too busy or tired to cook and eat badly, or aren't sleeping, or are fighting off a cold or something. Looking after yourself is important, but that includes not holding yourself to unrealistic or unreasonable standards. I read about your two jobs and how much time you spend at T's place, and I'd be goddamn exhausted too if I had that schedule!

Yes, thanks for saying that. I've been beating myself up mentally because I haven't really been exercising or doing much yoga for a month (every time I tried, I'd reinjure myself) so I have to realize that my body needed time off to heal and I'm not shirking my duties to my fitness or cardiovascular health or whatever to take the time I needed. Time to give myself a break and be glad that the rest period finally helped my injury (mostly) heal!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:27 am 
WELFARIST!

allularpunk wrote:
How big is one of these balls? Like tennis ball sized? (Meaning, can I use a tennis ball?)

Yes, I've heard of those shoulder-back rolling exercises using a tennis ball.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:47 am 
Semen Strong

I had brownies for breakfast and my brain feels woozy from the sugar. DAMN YOU BODY!!!! I have chocolate to eat! Stop messing with my brain!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:41 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

allularpunk wrote:

Roughly tennis ball sized. They're a little smaller, but the biggest difference is that they're harder than tennis balls. For me, my muscles are so insanely tight that I needed that, but you might get great results with a tennis ball.

I also use a foam roller some, which I forgot to add earlier, and that helps some. I don't know if I'd bother buying one just for shoulder stuff, but if you have access to one or have one already (I had one because I need it to work out the cycling pain in my legs), you can give it a try!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:06 pm 
Semen Strong

You can use pool noodles as cheap foam rollers fwiw.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:36 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I need something hard (that's what she said!), so I use one of these: Image

Pool noodles are really soft, which is fine some people, but doesn't give enough pressure for others. BUT if you have one of those around, you may as well try it out!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:56 pm 
Impressive boner

Those metal core foam rollers are great. I sometimes use one like that and sometimes a solid foam one. Rumble rollers are a bit ouchy -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

my stupid toes are betraying me! why can't they be invincible? i broke one of my toes, and it is at the point where everyday movement is ok, skating is ok because my boots are very stiff, but i still can't do most working-outy things that like to do. and all my toenails are screwed up from friction in my skates (i've managed to remedy most of the issues at this point) and soccer-type running where you change direction a lot. so at this count, the only toes that are wholly ok are the ones right beside my big toes.

those rollers look like they would hurt in a good way. now i want to rumble roll my entire body.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Stupid ulcer pains. Started minor, mostly annoying and uncomfortable, last night, but today getting really super painful. I had some tofu scramble and that made it way worse. Sometimes eating helps since an empty stomach can make it worse, and the tofu generally goes down easy.

Ow. Sad face. Took codeine and have heating pad but not helping yet. I do have a snuggly Molly though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Husband has had a cold all week and I appear to be catching it, on top of that I'm starting new BC pills and coming off citalopram and I feel teeerrible. My stomach feels so delicate and icky and my poor head hurts :(
--rant over

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:47 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I had a flare up of whateverthehelliswrongwithme yesterday. Had to have a daytime sleep, was like a zombie all evening & my IBS is iffy. In the early hours I woke up with pain, the joints in my right arm & leg have gone again & there is o comfortable way to sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:10 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Ugh, when the pain stops you sleeping it's just so unfair - groggy on top of everything else just seems like insult to injury. Sorry you're dealing with that fezza.

This weather is shitty for my joints, I feel like the tin man!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:25 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Thanks dropscone, sorry you're feeling it too. I think it's the recent wet weather here that's flared things up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:34 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm aching in so many muscles at the moment. I take magnesium every day and eat potassium rich foods. Maybe more Udo's would help, I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:09 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My boobs keep on growing. They are giant now (for me) and I hate how everything hurts and gets in the way because of it. I blame the maca in my chocolates (which I can remove) and sexy nipple action (which I'd rather keep). Does anyone have any suggestions for non-invasive reduction? I've jumped from barely a B to definitely a C in the past couple of months.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:10 am 

Bonus complaints about terrible post-concussion headaches, and achey ladybits.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

lutin wrote:
My boobs keep on growing. They are giant now (for me) and I hate how everything hurts and gets in the way because of it. I blame the maca in my chocolates (which I can remove) and sexy nipple action (which I'd rather keep). Does anyone have any suggestions for non-invasive reduction? I've jumped from barely a B to definitely a C in the past couple of months.

Are you on hormonal birth control?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:08 am 

Nope!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next