| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: How is your body betraying you?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:39 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I've been having a lot of gas lately... it's rather embarrassing. Last night it got so bad that my partner had to go sleep in the other room.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:13 am 
Impressive boner

My left shoulder is giving me gip again. I don't think it's connected to the sticky rib joint, probably just a pulled trap from sleeping funny. My first rib on that side has been a bit achy and both bicep tendons have been sore too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Mars wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Minor prob, but every winter for the past few years I would get very dry hands and the skin would start cracking and bleeding. It didn't seem to be happening this year, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed the skin is red and cracked at the base between second and third finger on my left hand. Tried putting dry-skin-specific hand cream on, doesn't seem to have made a difference. Then yesterday I noticed the palm of my right hand is starting to get cracked and just beginning to be a bit painful. Left hand palm totally fine. I've never had it localised like this before, not sure what's going on, but it sure is annoying, especially when putting on tights and the skin catches on the fabric. Ugh!

Just keep being diligent with the lotion! I've not got this from wintertime, but I've got this from being a florist; my hands are wet SO OFTEN. So the key for me is to lotion throughout the day, we have lotion at our desk at work. Definitely lotion-up after every time you wash your hands, and maybe especially for your situation, every time before you're about to go outside. The localized in random spots thing is pretty common, I have no idea why, chance really, I believe.

I feel you dropscone and Mars. Usually I get it on my knuckles, which is annoying but not nearly as painful as I imagine it would be on the palm. I also get these really deep fissures on my thumbs that are like painful, bloody extensions of my nail bed. It also seems cold-weather related because it only happens in the winter when my skin is really dry. It makes it painful to put any pressure on my thumbs or to grasp anything. The only things that really seem to help are - like Mars says - consistently putting on lotion, and what I also find makes a difference is making sure to wear gloves when I go outside. I can be really lazy about this, but it really does help.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Cover your hands in Vaseline - like, smother them, and go to bed in a pair of gloves. It's gross, but it works wonders for dry skin.

My fibre, starch and stress-triggered IBS is at a very nasty peak. I nearly phoned in sick on Friday because I'm so bloated and disgusting-feeling. I've just bought some digestive enzyme tablets and some probiotics (which probably aren't vegan but say they're vegetarian and that's good enough for me because aaaargh I feel awful), so hopefully they will prove to be magic and make me feel like a normal human again. I've even seriously considered suspending veganism for a while to see if a drastic change in diet does anything, but thought against in on the grounds that, ethics aside, I don't really like meat or fish or eggs or milk so it would probably be less fun that planned.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I find foot lotion works better for cracked, dry hands than hand lotion, since it's generally heavier and tends to contain a higher concentration of urea (if it's an ingredient). I also avoid buying hand-wash that contains SLS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:52 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The stuff I'm using at the moment is a cream for dry skin in general (not body-part specific). I'll definitely try to re-apply much more frequently and look at getting a lotion for feet next time I'm shopping. My main problem at the moment is just forgetting to apply anything after I've washed my hands. Maybe I'll write a note on the bathroom mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Diarrhea for 14 days now. Either I got IBS (not just that... it's ... always something), an infection from drinking the tap water here or there's something I need to cut from my diet, but I don't know what it is! Gluten? Soy? Fructose? Sugar? ... :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:47 pm 
Impressive boner

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Diarrhea for 14 days now. Either I got IBS (not just that... it's ... always something), an infection from drinking the tap water here or there's something I need to cut from my diet, but I don't know what it is! Gluten? Soy? Fructose? Sugar? ... :(

14 days seems a long time to have diarrhea. Can you see a doctor?

I once had diarrhea for several days and thought it might have been a lactose problem (pre-vegan times) but it turned out to be a pretty serious problem.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:53 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

my appetite has gone completely insane. I am relying on a bit of a frozen, pre-packaged, convenience food regimen right now, but I am trying to get some fresh fruit and veg and making sure I get a reasonable amount of protein (protein bars, mostly) but I just CAN NOT STOP EATING. I know it is stress and I know this is just how my body rolls with it, but I could totally handle breakfast at 10 filling me up until lunch time!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:20 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Gulliver wrote:
Cover your hands in Vaseline - like, smother them, and go to bed in a pair of gloves. It's gross, but it works wonders for dry skin.

My fibre, starch and stress-triggered IBS is at a very nasty peak. I nearly phoned in sick on Friday because I'm so bloated and disgusting-feeling. I've just bought some digestive enzyme tablets and some probiotics (which probably aren't vegan but say they're vegetarian and that's good enough for me because aaaargh I feel awful), so hopefully they will prove to be magic and make me feel like a normal human again. I've even seriously considered suspending veganism for a while to see if a drastic change in diet does anything, but thought against in on the grounds that, ethics aside, I don't really like meat or fish or eggs or milk so it would probably be less fun that planned.

Have you tried the FODMAPS diet? They aren't my trigger but a friend has had a lot of success with FODMAPS.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:30 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Man I cannot wait to have a root canal on the 11th and have these infected forks drilled out of my tooth. Even if the root canal fails and I lose the tooth, seriously zero forks given. Cannot continue this level of pain.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm sorry your dental woes are still going on. I hope all goes well on the 11th.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

8ball wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

14 days seems a long time to have diarrhea. Can you see a doctor?

I once had diarrhea for several days and thought it might have been a lactose problem (pre-vegan times) but it turned out to be a pretty serious problem.

I'm trying to see a doctor on monday. I'll call in the morning and see if I can get an appointment for that day or tuesday.

It's not just diarrhea, which I tend to have a lot so I didn't freak out about it for the first few days. I upset my digestive system easily. I'll eat something, get cramps, diarrhea and feel like throwing up. I had a Clif Bar as breakfast and 30 minutes afterwards I started feeling horrible again. It kind of makes me not want to eat but I don't know if that's wise.

I hope it's nothing serious. I hate how afraid this stuff always makes me. I also can't do "normal" stuff right now. I'll probably have to cancel my singing lessons, too, because I can't just keep running to the bathroom in between.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:32 am 
Impressive boner

Hope you feel better soon.

I have a repetitive shoulder problem (as mentioned further up the page) that seems to be caused by overhead lifting and made worse by my sleeping position, but most of my lifting is overhead and I can't get to sleep in another position. It's pretty bad at the moment - my ability to turn my head is limited and causes pain due to pulling on muscles in the afflicted area. I've got an appointment with the osteopath on Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

coldandsleepy wrote:
My feet are covered in blisters and callouses from running, which is no thing. They are all painless, because they always happen in the same places and I think my foot nerves have all died in those spots or something. But today I noticed that the spot that I knocked the skin off of with the shovel? Has now blistered. And guess what, I can really forking feel that.

this sounds just like me. i got blisters from wearing fancy shoes last week, and now the entire bottom of my foot seems to be peeling off in shreds. lovely.
aaand as if that weren't enough, i discovered that my black runner's toenail is only half attached. so it's making me completely insane. i could cut the thing off but i can't decide if almost no big toenail at all is worse than a strangely colored broken toenail.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:10 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

torque wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
My feet are covered in blisters and callouses from running, which is no thing. They are all painless, because they always happen in the same places and I think my foot nerves have all died in those spots or something. But today I noticed that the spot that I knocked the skin off of with the shovel? Has now blistered. And guess what, I can really forking feel that.

this sounds just like me. i got blisters from wearing fancy shoes last week, and now the entire bottom of my foot seems to be peeling off in shreds. lovely.
aaand as if that weren't enough, i discovered that my black runner's toenail is only half attached. so it's making me completely insane. i could cut the thing off but i can't decide if almost no big toenail at all is worse than a strangely colored broken toenail.

Once I left a half-broken toenail on and just painted my toenails a dark color. Then when it finally fell off on it's own, there was a brand new toenail underneath!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:26 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I am usually a coffee chugging machine, but the past two days it's been making me jittery. I just had 3 sips of my first cup this morning and I can't finish it. What is up body? I guess I'll be making myself a cup of herbal tea now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:38 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Gulliver wrote:

I tend to just use oil oils, but yeah, that is helpful. I kinda want to get some gloves too, so I can super slather on oils.

I like to use a base of jojoba oil and cover in shea or coconut or cocoa butter (but not mixed with water, JUST the oil). With the gloves, that could be even better too.

If your hands are covered in cocoa butter and coconut oil you might eat them in your sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My ferritin is back down to 4. I can't deal with this now. I definitely can't take days off work to get iron infusions again since I just took 5 days off. I'd most likely lose my job. Fork.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Kiddo wrote:
torque wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

Once I left a half-broken toenail on and just painted my toenails a dark color. Then when it finally fell off on it's own, there was a brand new toenail underneath!

Ha! My kid saw my purple running toe (just one!) the other day and was like "why didn't you paint the rest of your toes?" And I was like actually it's a gruesome disfigurement and he was like "oh, well, I really love that color."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Also I came here to say my body has backed down a bit on the tooth thing. I got through 19 hours without ibuprofen with a very low pain level, so that's exciting. And I have one final dose of the hated antibiotic and then maybe I'll feel normal for a few days!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:39 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i have shingles. i have not had them for awhile. i feel really tired, sore, sick and in pain. :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

coldandsleepy, good news! i was cringing reading that part of your post the other day.

i am going to moan about this elsewhere, but i really wish my libido were slightly less extreme. either it is all-sexytimes-all-the-time or if-you-touch-me-i-will-kick-your-butt-out-of-this-bed-and-throw-all-your-belongings-in-the-street. Monthly cycle, of course. I wonder if this is normal or if uniform levels are normal. Mystery brought to you by spending most of my life on hormonal birth control and only now as an old fart getting to know my bizarre body.

ETA: just for the record, no i'm not complaining, no siree, this is much better than that 4+ years where I was completely uninterested.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I came home from hanging out with some friends and their baby and I have some pretty shitty symptoms: body aches, sore throat, bit of nausea. I feel terrible, because what if I got the baby sick?! Also, I'm a bit paranoid because we had an incident of scarlet fever in our primary school. I haven't been around any primary school kids and never even went downstairs where I could have been, but I'm still thinking about it. Hopefully it's just a freak thing and I'll be better tomorrow, but at the moment I'm miserable and can't fall asleep.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

my eyeball is doing this thing: (under spoiler tags because it involves blood and might be a little gross?)
Spoiler: show

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 526 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next