| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: How is your body betraying you?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Why is it doing that?! Also...that is a cute picture if you don't notice the bloody eyeball. Is it a popped blood vessel?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:15 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ermegerd. airplane weirdness? (this happened to me on our trip back, i guess the 4 flights and my skyrocketing blood pressure made me blow a gasket. it itched like the dickens while it healed up and made me nuuuuuuuts)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pickledtreats wrote:
Why is it doing that?! Also...that is a cute picture if you don't notice the bloody eyeball. Is it a popped blood vessel?

yep! it's usually due to something like getting hit in the face or sneezing too hard, but this one is apparently due to the cold! hooray! eyeball nosebleed.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:05 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Apparently my body has decided I'm never to enjoy food again, but I'm still allowed to pile on weight like a well fed pup. The strain of having my Dad seriously ill all last summer seems to have triggered Fibromyalgia syndrome and IBS(D), now I just seem to limp along with intermittent flare ups of IBS, joint problems & fatigue. Everything I eat seems to end up with upset & nausea and insoluble fibre is an absolute no. As if it isn't bad enough, the constant acidic nausea has increased my appetite but with the absence of insoluble fibre makes it very difficult to fill up for any length of time.

Food has become such a misery I've considered eating rescue hen eggs, I'm having trouble taking in protein right now, lentils are iffy for me and beans can leave me in a fair amount of pain. My mostly vegan, very supportive Mr has suggested I try quorn products for a few months until things settle down and go back to veganism when I feel well enough. I've been vegan 9yrs and, while have no moral problem with eating rescue hen eggs, eggs do squick me out fair a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:57 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

fezza wrote:
Apparently my body has decided I'm never to enjoy food again, but I'm still allowed to pile on weight like a well fed pup. The strain of having my Dad seriously ill all last summer seems to have triggered Fibromyalgia syndrome and IBS(D), now I just seem to limp along with intermittent flare ups of IBS, joint problems & fatigue. Everything I eat seems to end up with upset & nausea and insoluble fibre is an absolute no. As if it isn't bad enough, the constant acidic nausea has increased my appetite but with the absence of insoluble fibre makes it very difficult to fill up for any length of time.

Food has become such a misery I've considered eating rescue hen eggs, I'm having trouble taking in protein right now, lentils are iffy for me and beans can leave me in a fair amount of pain. My mostly vegan, very supportive Mr has suggested I try quorn products for a few months until things settle down and go back to veganism when I feel well enough. I've been vegan 9yrs and, while have no moral problem with eating rescue hen eggs, eggs do squick me out fair a bit.

Oh man, I'm sorry Fezza.

I don't know if you have it there, but maybe have a look around for Tu Zen probiotics. They're specially formulated for IBS. I've only been on them for a week but I've had more normal, healthy, poops in that week than I have in probably three months prior.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:08 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Quorn can be digestively difficult for people, so I'm not sure that would be successful. I'd approach that with caution.

Sorry you are feeling poorly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:20 am 

Thanks J-Dub, I couldn't see Tu Zen here but have ordered a UK brand with the same probiotic in it.

Yeah LW, I was saying I don't do well with too much mushroom, so it might not even be a solution.

I've just received delivery of Isa Does It, I wanna eat all the good things dammit!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think a combination of the constant cold weather, my lack of exercise, and eating poorly last week is really making my body unhappy. We went bowling on Sunday and just…everything hurt. I've got a shoulder injury that flares up from time to time (like 8ball!), and it's been really bad the past few weeks. It's gotten to the point that every deep breath I take feels like a sharp jab, and even lifting things with the opposite arm (my bowling arm, specifically) makes that shoulder hurt like the dickens. And my hips hurt? And I'm bloated? And my skin is breaking out like crazy? Ugh. I cooked yesterday, so at least I'm getting vegetables in my diet this week, so hopefully that will help with the skin and bloated-ness. I just wish I had time/energy to exercise and that this dratted shoulder would just quit it already. I told T all this on the drive home from the bowling alley, and he was like, 'Dude, you're 31, you shouldn't be feeling so crappy!' He's right, and I need to take better care of myself. I'm just not ready to give in to all these aches and pains.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

fezza wrote:

Fezza, I am going through something so similar, down to the maybe I should consider eggs/eggs are gross and I've been vegan 9 years too! Last week the gastro told me to try the FODMAPS diet, and I'm so worried that I won't be able to handle beans anh more. Soy and gluten are already off the table for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:42 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Fezza would a protein powder work for you? Maybe hemp?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:01 pm 

Oh man, Kiddo! What would we eat! I already have to avoid migraine trigger foods and have a bell pepper sensitivity (hot hole anyone?).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:02 pm 

I'll look into that, thanks dropscone xx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

fezza wrote:
Oh man, Kiddo! What would we eat! I already have to avoid migraine trigger foods and have a bell pepper sensitivity (hot hole anyone?).

I don't know! I have been making a smoothie in the mornings with rice or hemp protein powder which helps. "Meals" are not really happening, I feel like I'm living on snacks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:27 pm 

I'm the same atm, I'm mostly too sick to eat 3 meals a day. Unfortunately, when I feel sick I can't eat "wet foods", fruits & veg can sometimes turn me (love them the rest of the time!), so I'm left snacking carby foods like toast & biscuits. I think I'll try the FODMAP diet as much as possible, it might mean breaking veganism for a few weeks though :/ I hate the idea of that, but I don't think I can cope with this for much longer, I'm weak with hunger because I'm digesting food so quickly I'm not absorbing much in the way of nutrients or carbohydrate energy (seem to be absorbing aaaaallo'the fat though >.<). When it's really bad I'm passing undigested food, meals are through me within 4 hours, I thought I had worms after eating noodles one day ::the shame::!

If I can find any recipes suitable for FODMAP foods I'll share them with you (might start a new thread for them).

I have picked at whatever I can stomach today and now I'm bloated and uncomfortable... and still hungry.. beh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:36 pm 

Oooohh! http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/thoug ... ion-phase/

Quote:
There are no FODMAPS in gluten. This is an important distinction for those trying to navigate the wheat free ways of being fodmaps-free. Wheat free doesn’t mean gluten free. They are not equal. Gluten is a protein. Wheat is a carbohydrate (with sugar and fiber).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:33 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

fezza wrote:
Oooohh! http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/thoug ... ion-phase/

Quote:
There are no FODMAPS in gluten. This is an important distinction for those trying to navigate the wheat free ways of being fodmaps-free. Wheat free doesn’t mean gluten free. They are not equal. Gluten is a protein. Wheat is a carbohydrate (with sugar and fiber).

A friend of mine has IBS(C) and FODMAPS is the best thing she's found to manage symptoms. She can eat seitan (as mentioned above) but no wheat. She did, ultimately, decide to include some animal foods because her list just got ever smaller of trigger foods and reports feeling a lot better than she has in a long time.

Have you tried psyllium fiber supplementation? I've had nutritionists and RDs recommend it to me. It doesn't seem to help for me but apparently a lot of IBSers see some relief.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:44 pm 

I'm glad it's worked for your friend, it's a pretty miserable condition at times.

I might try adding psylium when I see how I get on with the FODMAP elimination diet. Don't want to try too many things at once or I'll not know what's working and what's not. Thanks for the tips xx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:53 pm 

Fezza, have you tried or considered trying codeine for a while? It noticably slows the passage of food down for me (I take it for joint pain but that is a side effect) and I have seen people on an IBS board saying it helped their symptoms.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:59 pm 

I was on codeine for years and I noticed it helped my IBS, unfortunately I was on it for so long (chronic pain condition), it's better if I limit it these days. I think it increases my fatigue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:05 pm 

Yeah, it's definitely a balancing act! I've taken too many as it got colder and now I've built up a tolerance and it's not working too well. I hate that I don't want to go to Morrisons (10 minutes down the road on a good day) because it'll hurt and because I'm worried I'll look like easy mugging prey with my limp.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:28 pm 

You need to carry a supervillan cane, one with a silver handle that looks like it'd knock someone's teef out ;).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

fezza wrote:
I'm the same atm, I'm mostly too sick to eat 3 meals a day. Unfortunately, when I feel sick I can't eat "wet foods", fruits & veg can sometimes turn me (love them the rest of the time!), so I'm left snacking carby foods like toast & biscuits. I think I'll try the FODMAP diet as much as possible, it might mean breaking veganism for a few weeks though :/ I hate the idea of that, but I don't think I can cope with this for much longer, I'm weak with hunger because I'm digesting food so quickly I'm not absorbing much in the way of nutrients or carbohydrate energy (seem to be absorbing aaaaallo'the fat though >.<). When it's really bad I'm passing undigested food, meals are through me within 4 hours, I thought I had worms after eating noodles one day ::the shame::!

If I can find any recipes suitable for FODMAP foods I'll share them with you (might start a new thread for them).

I have picked at whatever I can stomach today and now I'm bloated and uncomfortable... and still hungry.. beh.

Awww fezza, I'm so sorry. That's rough. A FODMAPS thread is a great idea :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:39 am 

FODMAP/IBS thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30432

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oh, man, I've been having a terrible time with a right leg injury I got from doing a yoga posture I've been doing for years with no trouble until I did it one time in early January and pulled something--I don't know what. It just moved from one point on my leg to all over it, like a traveling pain. It's just been so slow to heal and started on my lower leg, moved up through my knee, which got a bit swollen and was really tight and then moved up to my hip. Argh, I notice I'm slower to heal from musculoskeletal injuries these days than I used to be and it sucks. The good news is that just in the last few days, the leg pain finally feels like it's beginning to heal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

i had a small ingrown hair on my leg, of course i had to pick at it (and pick at it)...now it my whole leg is sore and has been since sunday. i keep telling myself to leave it alone...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next