| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gross symptoms freaking me out
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This thread might be TMI, but I'm freaking out a little thanks to google. I have made an appointment with my doctor, but he can't see me until Friday so I have time enough to worry.

For about a week I've had nausea, bloating/hard stomach, gas, and (this is the gross part) light colored, almost greasy stool. I've also had sharp pains in my stomach, right below my ribs. It all gets worse when I eat. I've also been tired and sleeping really hard. I'm sweating through my clothes at night. Not sure if the sleep stuff is related though.

From what I've googled, the symptoms seem liver/gallbladder related. They all came on suddenly. Anyone experienced anything like this? People talk about "gallbladder attacks" - are they like this?

I'm wondering if there's any food I can eat that would be nutritious but not exacerbate the symptoms. Really feeling crappy right now :(

I'm also under huge stress at work and it's report time so lots of deadline pressure, so that's not helping.

Post subject: Re: Gross symptoms freaking me out
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yes, it sounds like your gallbladder to me. Keeping your diet as low fat as possible should help keep the symptoms under control, but you really need to go to the doctor. You'll probably need surgery to remove it.

Stick with fruits, vegetables, beans, low fat veggie burgers, and grains -- very basic. Oil free will probably help too.

You can drink 1 oz of apple cider vinegar mixed in an 8 oz glass of apple cider or apple juice if you experience pain and this seems to actually work...I have no idea how. But don't let that replace going to the doctor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Bf is going to the shop tonight to get things for a salad. About all I can think about eating that won't upset my stomach too much.

I really hope it's not my gallbladder :( I joke around that if it can be removed, I've had it removed! Teeth, tonsils, adenoids, appendix. This is the last on my removable organ list, though. Not ready to give it up!

My grandmother had gallstone issues and I favor her physically/medically, so it could make sense. I have hypothyroidism and a heart murmur thanks to her.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Gallbladder attacks are sharp intense pain that last for a few hours. It feels like something impaled you through the front and back on the right side of your body just below your ribs. Or at least that's how it was for me. But I didn't have any of your other symptoms. And when the pain went away after the attack I had no residual issues. And I went like two months before having it removed. After the first attack I didn't have another one for a few weeks. At that point I went to the doctor. Then went in for an ultrasound where they said that I had sludge in my gallbladder which is very common. Not everyone gets gallstones. So they figured it would be ok to schedule surgery for a later date and that I would be fine. It was also a crazy time for me with weddings I was in and moving. But my body didn't want to wait. I wound up in the emergency room in excruciating pain and needed to have emergency surgery. My levels were all messed up and I had pancreatitis as a result so they had to wait until they fixed that before they could operate. It was miserable and I really hope you don't go through what I went through!

Low fat is the key! No nuts, PB, hummus, oils, seeds, avocados, mayo, or vegan treats. Just for the time being. After I had surgery and recovered I have no problem eating these again. But I had to give them up for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh man! That sounds terrible. I have had what I considered extreme indigestion where I could only walk around hunched over. I had sharp pains in my back and side that sound a lot like those attacks, but who knows.

In the last week I've eaten a ton of PB, cashews, hummus and guacamole. Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

To be honest, if you are having the light colored and greasy stool, you probably do have a pretty serious blockage. Be careful because if your ducts get totally blocked by a stone you can have life-threatening complications. Definitely go to the doctor. You might not have a choice but to give it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Start chugging water like crazy. And if I were you I would be eating some soft easily digestible food that doesn't take a lot of energy to break down. You might have a stone that's big or a few smaller ones. But basically the bigger the blockage the worse it is. And the more fat you eat the worse and more painful it will be. Your gallbladder is trying to produce and push out extra bile to help breakdown the fat and the stone(s) are in the way which = PAIN!

I'm sorry gallbladder pain is the worst. I've had women tell me it was more painful than child birth, but I'm not in the know on that one. :o(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 am 
WRETCHED

I have gallstones, had them prior to being vegan but kept my gallbladder. Low fat will help but I never had greasy stool. I felt like I was having a heart attack when I had my gallbladder attacks. If you notice any yellowing, skin, eyes, etc, go to the emergency room.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The pain right now is not as crazy as people say attacks are, but I'm not going to use that to rationalize myself out of taking it seriously.

What would be easy to digest? I want a light salad - lettuce, cukes, tomatoes, carrots - but maybe even that is too much? I really want to add chickpeas and edamame and sundried tomatoes, but I guess those are out. As for dressing, I wanted to make Isa's Caesar dressing that she posted to the blog, but I guess tahini and nooch are out too?

I am realizing I have no idea how to eat if it's not gas-inducing fiberiffic vegan food. :/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:48 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I would do stir frys and asian dishes. Cooked veggies and tofu will be easier to digest than raw ones and beans. Soups, stews, oatmeal, smoothies, things like that. No Tahini for sure! Think more healthy comfort food, or sick people food. Here's some tips from the internet that may help, I've never tried them though.

1. Garlic helps with liver cleansing but not processed types like flakes or powder.
2. Lemons (lemon juice in the morning with hot water helps to clean the liver)
3. Grapes and fresh organic grape juice apples, berries, papaya, pears
4. Vegetable juices - Beet and cucumber are especially helpful to gallbladder You can add other green vegetables like tender baby greens, swiss chard, dandelion greens, beet greens, celery, carrots -- avoid the cabbage family)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Arabian Rice and Lentil soup from AFR would be easy on your tummy. (And has the garlic and lemon suggested in the post above mine.) Soft rice and lentils are pretty easy to digest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:33 pm 
Impressive boner

Vinegar can be a trigger for the pain. I had gallstones in 2004/5 and eating pickles brought on the worst bout of pain I ever had for eight hours instead of the usual four. Fats, oils, chilli and alcohol were pretty awful too.

My pain would start as a dull ache under my ribs on the right and increase massively then radiate until I had a band of pain all around my torso. I found that holding a hot water bottle in the gallbladder area helped to soothe the pain. Hot baths can help too. I had silt rather than a stone, but it did block the duct once and I was an inpatient with jaundice for a week. The pain when it unblocked itself was something else. My gallbladder was removed in 2005 via keyhole surgery.

If your stools are very loose and pale, almost like hummus, and your urine starts to take on a very dark hue, like Red Bull, you should see a doctor asap. If you see yellowing of your eyes and skin it could be jaundice which can lead to pancreatitis.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:37 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yeah, that sounds like a gallbladder attack. Mine varied from thinking I might literally die to just really awful gas and pain--the light, greasy poop definitely says gallbladder to me. Honestly, for me, the only route was removal and I had to fight for that but I've been fine since then.

In terms of pain, avoiding fat helped (though it got worse and worse and I could eat fewer and fewer foods without an attack), metaclopromide (an Rx) helped a lot, but the best thing for me was medical marijuana. Not sure if you can get it where you are, but it was the only thing that reliably reduced the pain.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

8ball wrote:
Vinegar can be a trigger for the pain. I had gallstones in 2004/5 and eating pickles brought on the worst bout of pain I ever had for eight hours instead of the usual four. Fats, oils, chilli and alcohol were pretty awful too.

My pain would start as a dull ache under my ribs on the right and increase massively then radiate until I had a band of pain all around my torso. I found that holding a hot water bottle in the gallbladder area helped to soothe the pain. Hot baths can help too. I had silt rather than a stone, but it did block the duct once and I was an inpatient with jaundice for a week. The pain when it unblocked itself was something else. My gallbladder was removed in 2005 via keyhole surgery.

If your stools are very loose and pale, almost like hummus, and your urine starts to take on a very dark hue, like Red Bull, you should see a doctor asap. If you see yellowing of your eyes and skin it could be jaundice which can lead to pancreatitis.

I'll never look at poop - or hummus - the same way again.

The pain subsided and I'm no longer having the issues, but this could all be temporary I suppose. I'm going home to visit friends and family and my hometown is vegan junk food heaven, so we'll see how my body handles that. I live in the NL so getting marijuana is no problem, but it's not something I enjoy - messes with my anxiety.

If it happens again I'm going to the doctor, but in the meantime I'm just trying to pay attention to what I eat and avoid stress.