| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More B12 stuff.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:42 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My sister sent me this link, and asked for an opinion. I don't feel like I'm informed enough to respond. Help?

The point of the article seems to be that people are more B12 deficient than tests report because B12 swimming in the blood is not the same as B12 which can be used by blood. (Or some variation of that; like I said .... details.) Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts.

http://chriskresser.com/what-everyone-e ... deficiency

Post subject: Re: More B12 stuff.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

the article says at the end to take 1000mcg of sublingual b12 daily, which is (give or take) what most of us choose to do anyway. so, there's nothing new here really

(though the methylcobalamin vs hydroxycobalamin vs cyanocobalamin is new to me. alas.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:02 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Right, and that's the stuff I already knew about. But the rest of it had so many other details I normally don't pay attention to that it threw me off.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:14 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

ah right. yeah, I've heard that b12 testing in general is fairly flaky. such that folate can mask b12 deficiencies and so on (though, that might not be truth, but merely a wive's tale). in any case, it seems clear that supplementing will provide enough to keep you in the clear generally. hrm.

I should ask more about the tests I get done for b12. I know they do 'a special test' for it, but who knows what that really means, heh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:33 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Hmm, it would be interesting to get comments on this article from a professional nutrition expert. It looks like the website advocates a paleo diet, so the author could be biased in a way that is difficult to assess for lay people like us.

For instance
Quote:
one review using serum B12 indicated that 52% of vegans and 7% of vegetarians are B12 deficient. (2) But a study using the more sensitive techniques found much higher rates of deficiency: 68% for vegetarians and 83% of vegans, compared to just 5% of omnivores.

To me, these numbers seem disproportionately high (am I right?). Is the author cherry picking studies where high percentages of vegans and vegetarians were found to have B12 deficiency? If that's the case, I wouldn't put much credit on his conclusions, other than that it's a good idea to take a B12 supplement (but we knew that already).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, sounds like he's trying to make it sound like B12 in meat works "magically" better than B12 pills.

This or there's really not enough vegans taking supplements :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:29 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

joshua wrote:
the article says at the end to take 1000mcg of sublingual b12 daily, which is (give or take) what most of us choose to do anyway. so, there's nothing new here really

(though the methylcobalamin vs hydroxycobalamin vs cyanocobalamin is new to me. alas.)

Taking 1000mcg of cyanocobalamin every day is completely different from taking 1000 mcg of methycobalamin as I understand it. Methycobalamin recommendations are that hight because it is an unstable form of B12. Recommendations for cyanocobalamin are much lower.
http://jacknorrisrd.com/what-b12-supple ... ld-i-take/

The author of the article in the OP claims that methylcobalamin is superiour to cyanocobalamin. I would doubt that.

Jack Norris wrote:
Methylcobalamin is promoted by some alternative health practitioners and the supplement industry as superior to cyanocobalamin, primarily because it is a co-enzyme form of vitamin B12.

[...]

I must admit that I’m a bit wary of methylcobalamin supplements. They are not regulated with any significant scrutiny. Cyanocobalamin supplements are ubiquitous, cheap, and well-studied, while methylcobalamin is much more of an unknown entity. Unless you have a good reason to be using methylcobalamin, I recommend cyanocobalamin.

Personally, I have a hard time trusting articles who recommend supplements and use affiliate links.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:41 am 
***LIES!!!***

For context, this is the same website someone sent me to the other day to prove raw milk is less dangerous than pasteurized. I would listen to Jack Norris.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:04 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

This guy is a paleo "expert" I believe. He seems to be following me around on the internet lately while people try to convince me that I need to eat meat and be grain free to be healthy with my gluten sensitivity. No thanks.