| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Those Of You Who No Longer Drink Caffeine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

If you didn't drink caffeine before then this is not the thread for you. I just want to hear from those who used to drink caffeine but no longer do. I have had constant headaches lately even though my sleeping has been fine so I'm considering (no promises!) not drinking it for a while to see if that's what may be causing my headaches and if it is, maybe....maybe.....MAYBE quitting.

How did you do it? What did you do? I know this sounds terrible but in order for me to be nice and patient with people, most of the time it rely's on whether or not I've had coffee. It's not even caffeine in general, it has to be coffee, sometimes soda. How do I overcome that part? How do I not have headaches (drink a ton of water?), how do I not get angry and bisque-y, how do I concentrate, all without coffee? I think the most difficult part is going to be how I get through work without it.

Post subject: Re: Those Of You Who No Longer Drink Caffeine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

You are going to have headaches no matter what during withdrawal, since it _is_ withdrawal from an addiction.

They may last 3-5 days, depending. During this time your concentration will suffer since your brain is used to working with caffeine and works less hard without it. This too will pass after a couple of days.

Caffeine itself typically doesn't cause headaches, although in some cases it can:

http://www.livescience.com/35949-caffei ... aches.html

(I've kicked and restarted caffeine a bunch of times.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I changed to decaffeinated tea and only one cup of coffee on occasion in the morning with no difficulties. I think switching to decaf took the psychological side out of it. Only thing I noticed was it took me a while longer to come around in the mornings so I started walking first thing when I wake up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm wondering if it's actually caffeine or the fact that I need to get myself up and do things. It's especially difficult for me on days when I don't work because I become instalazy and don't really do much. That's when I get the headaches the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Try the more exercise route first then. I find that helps most of the time if I have a headache especially if there is fresh air involved.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've been running at night when I can but a lot of the times my feet are killing me from work or, like lately, it's been raining and storming like crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:43 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

heh, I think I had the opposite: I didn't have any headaches when I stopped caffeine, but I've had a mustard of a headache pretty much ever since. life, you forker.

for me it was as simple as finding alternatives if I needed to keep a routine (tea, hot chocolate, etc). I had pretty good reason to stop though, so succumbing to temptation was never really an option. that probably helped a lot - forced me into the new habits, you know?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I've been running at night when I can but a lot of the times my feet are killing me from work or, like lately, it's been raining and storming like crazy.

I hear ya. Thanks to the mutt I have to go out regardless of the weather and it gets pretty darn wet over here. I find best option is to wear super good wet gear, then have the water heated up and clean pjs by the bath for when I get back in. Sometimes those walks are the best because I am forced to unwind in the bath afterwards and sometimes it is exactly what my body needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:01 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Hot cocoa! I gave it up in 2009 when I developed panic disorder, and it was really hard at first but now I don't miss it at all. My drink of choice is hot cocoa or kombucha or just water, and it gets me through the day. Try it out! But be prepared to go through bad headache hell for a few days. Wait that out though, and see how you feel. I'd never go back.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've quit before, and the biggest thing for me was the ritual. I find drinking coffee a social experience, a comfort, and really just a pleasing sensory activity. So I replaced it - first with drinking decaf, because I kept all of my mental and emotional habits the same, and only had to think about the difference in caffeine intake. After that I just drank it less times per day until I wasn't drinking it anymore. I'm not much of a tea person, but I did up my water intake (and for morning, I would have increased my green smoothie intake, but had no decent blender at the time).

(I did, in the end, return to drinking coffee, because it's part of my job these days. Literally. But even a barista can quit coffee if necessary! Good luck! Hopefully it's a smooth change for you!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, that's the thing- coffee isn't just a drink, it's a lifestyle. It reminds me of the time my nan tried to quit smoking and she said it was really hard for her being with my family at parties when they would sit and drink coffee and smoke and talk together. She said that's the thing that really made her go back to smoking. The lifestyle change is really hard.

One of the problems with something like hot chocolate is that it's not as instant (for vegans anyway) and it's not as convenient for me to make at work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:35 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

So uh, y'all know that chocolate and (black/green/white/pu-erh, basically everything but herbal) tea have caffeine in them too, right?

If you're having caffeine withdrawal headaches, even a relatively small amount of caffeine can help.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:12 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I gave it up a few weeks ago!! It was super hard and I had bad moods and headaches for a bit but now I am happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:58 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

solipsistnation wrote:
So uh, y'all know that chocolate and (black/green/white/pu-erh, basically everything but herbal) tea have caffeine in them too, right?

If you're having caffeine withdrawal headaches, even a relatively small amount of caffeine can help.

yarrrr, but the caffeine in chocolate is pretty marginal. it has theobromine, which is similar to caffeine but (somehow) interacts with the body differently. I had a Milhouse moment once when I found someone else that has huge caffeine (ie from coffee problems) that has no problem with chocolate, haha. until the day I sprinkled nibs on my ice cream. that ruined me. anecdata!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

http://kathrynvercillo.hubpages.com/hub ... e-Headache

are you drinking lots of water? thought of peppermint tea?

sorry about your headache ... I seldom get them but when I do it feels that ALL of me is aching.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:46 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I used to be a diet coke fiend which was basically a caffeine addiction. I switched to seltzer (for the bubbles) and decaf. I think decaf can really help with the long term psychological switch you have to go through. The physical stuff is just a few days of suffering and then you are done.

I agree, work without coffee pretty much sucks. Coffee is an appetite suppressant form me; if I don't have it, I tend to snack too much. Decaf has filled that void for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:56 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I saw a BBC experiment where two morning radio presenters who were convinced they needed coffee to function with their 5am starts gave up coffee and were filmed. They were tested throughout as they gave up and there was no actual change at all in their alertness and abilities, regardless of what they thought. They had a few days of coffee withdrawal symptoms like headaches but after that they felt just the same as with coffee so it might take a few days til your impression of how you are adjusts to how you actually are.

Quote:
"If you're not a regular consumer, you might get something out of one or two drinks. But once you're a regular consumer, you're in a cycle of withdrawal reversal."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6422279.stm

I gave up without any problem but I never felt caffiene had any beneficial effect on me, it was more a habit and liking the taste of a syrupy coffee drink. I mainly drink Dragonfly rooibos tea now but sometimes have a decaf Costa when I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:09 am 
WRETCHED

Giving up caffeine can be painful but as others have said, you can drink some to lessen the withdrawl. In the last few months, I thought it was a great idea to start drinking coffee regularly. Turns out, that was a bad idea. I still drink some tea (herbal and caffeinated) but if I go a day with caffeine, I don't get headaches.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I use to be a caffeine addict. I could take caffeine pro plus & drink a ton of diet coke & still fall asleep. I now find 1 cup of coffee can make me feel anxious, not sleep & gives me palpitations & a racing brain.
I read a Chinese medicine book which suggested that vegans & veggies often become more sensitive to caffeine. I don't know if this is true but it is for me.
I now only drink decaffeinated coffee. I get Taylors of Harrogate Decaf which uses the swiss water method to remove the caffeine. It's delicious. Most cafes also have decaf options & I rarely find it a problem. If I'm not sure if a venue will provide decaf (when I'm working) I'll take my own instant decaf or fruit/peppermint tea.
When you first give it up you might feel worse but give it a week & I bet you'll be sleeping better & waking up with more energy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

joshua wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

yarrrr, but the caffeine in chocolate is pretty marginal. it has theobromine, which is similar to caffeine but (somehow) interacts with the body differently. I had a Milhouse moment once when I found someone else that has huge caffeine (ie from coffee problems) that has no problem with chocolate, haha. until the day I sprinkled nibs on my ice cream. that ruined me. anecdata!

What josh said.

Half-sweet no-whip soy hot cocoa from Starbucks is my jam.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I gave up caffeine maybe three years ago? My husband and I did it together. It was super rough for 5-7 days (we wanted to murder each other, I think) but we've both felt so much better ever since. I sleep better, wake up better, and don't have big dips of energy in the afternoons. And we save so much money!

Weirdly enough, I'm pretty sensitive to chocolate now too. If I eat or drink too much I'll start shaking!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I added green juice twice a day and Teecino for the ' coffee' cravings. Mocha Teecino is actually pretty good if you make it strong in a French press. If you can do it, have a green juice in the morning and then go exercise like you have no choice. Set out your clothes and everything and do it on autopilot. You should feel better about 10 min into your exercise, and when you finish you'll feel like you accomplished something.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:31 pm 
WRETCHED

I like teechino, I was actually mixing that with coffee when I started having 'issues'. I think I've read that tea has about the same amount of caffeine as decaf coffee? Tea doesn't affect me or my husband the way coffee does but some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others.

Oh and I did have a period for about a year where I gave up caffeine entirely then I did it irregularly until a few months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I always find these discussions (in general, i mean, not on ppk) interesting because I never ever found any issue with giving up caffeine/coffee. Not that I've ever purposely given it up at all, but when I'm at work I've drunk, say, 6 big mugs (of black coffee) a day... and when I'm not at work... zero. So I can spend 6 days a week for many months doing so... and then a couple weeks at home not even thinking about it. Like, at all. And when there is no coffee available at work, well, that's fine too. Is that strange? Or am I just not trying hard enough? Man, I wish my actual addictions were so easy to be rid of.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:55 pm 
WRETCHED

It seems you just may not be sensitive to it? The first time I gave up caffeine (soda related mostly, some iced tea), I felt like I was dying for nearly a week.

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next