| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Those Of You Who No Longer Drink Caffeine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:57 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Mr. Shankly wrote:

One of the problems with something like hot chocolate is that it's not as instant (for vegans anyway) and it's not as convenient for me to make at work.

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I'm wondering if it's actually caffeine or the fact that I need to get myself up and do things. It's especially difficult for me on days when I don't work because I become instalazy and don't really do much. That's when I get the headaches the most.

I am a committed lazy person. This is how I make hot cocoa. Put an inch of water in a mug. Microwave 30-40 seconds. Stir in a big spoonful of cocoa powder and a spoonful of sugar or sweetener. A splash of vanilla can go in, too, but it's optional. Once everything is really well stirred, add milk to the top. Stir again. Microwave another 30-40 seconds.

There are vegan hot chocolate mixes, though I don't like them as well. http://www.rabbitfoodgrocery.com/produc ... coamix.htm

The ultimate lazy hot chocolate is to just buy chocolate plant milk and microwave a cup.

Other hot things I drink at work, herbal tea, bouillon, miso.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

interrobang?! wrote:
I always find these discussions (in general, i mean, not on ppk) interesting because I never ever found any issue with giving up caffeine/coffee. Not that I've ever purposely given it up at all, but when I'm at work I've drunk, say, 6 big mugs (of black coffee) a day... and when I'm not at work... zero. So I can spend 6 days a week for many months doing so... and then a couple weeks at home not even thinking about it. Like, at all. And when there is no coffee available at work, well, that's fine too. Is that strange? Or am I just not trying hard enough? Man, I wish my actual addictions were so easy to be rid of.

This! Me too, I can go off and on without issue. I went off for a whole year after drinking way too much strong coffee in Portland. I might one or two days of low energy but thats about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:59 am 
WELFARIST!

interrobang?! wrote:
I always find these discussions (in general, i mean, not on ppk) interesting because I never ever found any issue with giving up caffeine/coffee. Not that I've ever purposely given it up at all, but when I'm at work I've drunk, say, 6 big mugs (of black coffee) a day... and when I'm not at work... zero. So I can spend 6 days a week for many months doing so... and then a couple weeks at home not even thinking about it. Like, at all. And when there is no coffee available at work, well, that's fine too. Is that strange? Or am I just not trying hard enough? Man, I wish my actual addictions were so easy to be rid of.

Well I've been drinking coffee since I was 8 years old so that could be a pretty big reason! And in some of my crazier days I would drink 2 pots a day. I also went through a couple years of a crazy energy drink addiction.

I really like caffeine. Oddly enough, I can't really drink energy drinks anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:02 am 
WELFARIST!

mollyjade wrote:
I am a committed lazy person. This is how I make hot cocoa. Put an inch of water in a mug. Microwave 30-40 seconds. Stir in a big spoonful of cocoa powder and a spoonful of sugar or sweetener. A splash of vanilla can go in, too, but it's optional. Once everything is really well stirred, add milk to the top. Stir again. Microwave another 30-40 seconds.

There are vegan hot chocolate mixes, though I don't like them as well. http://www.rabbitfoodgrocery.com/produc ... coamix.htm

The ultimate lazy hot chocolate is to just buy chocolate plant milk and microwave a cup.

Other hot things I drink at work, herbal tea, bouillon, miso.

I like your first idea best. I can bring a snack bag of pre-mixed sugar and cocoa powder to work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:13 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

When I switched, going to decaf definitely helped. I gave up caffeine for about three months completely but my symptoms that I was trying to get rid of seemed not affected at all so I drink caffeine again now, since it makes no difference. And actually my symptoms have randomly stopped anyhow (used to get odd-feeling heart palpitations).

But back to the switching. I ended up realizing that a big part of coffee-bliss for me is the heat! I love love love cold coffees but it's totally different, I still feel like I need at least one hot coffee every day. Hot tea didn't cut it (though I love it, too) because it's not... rich enough flavored? So a mix of the rich, full flavor with it being really hot!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:16 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

paprikapapaya wrote:
Half-sweet no-whip soy hot cocoa from Starbucks is my jam.

Me too, but I like to replace the pump of vanilla with toffee nut.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:05 am 
WELFARIST!

I actually accidentally quit caffeinated coffee--I bought decaffeinated coffee and didn't notice for, like, three weeks (I'm no conneisseur-sp?-but I'd been drinking caffeinated coffee for maybe about fifteen years at the time). I had a terrible headache for maybe two or three days--caffeine headaches are terrible and I am a headache conneisseur I'm sad to say--migraine, tension, sinus, caffeine all feature their own distinctive pain--but anyway, yeah I didn't notice my error and I've just kept drinking decaf ever since and my morning coffee ritual is as pleasurable and unchanged. I used to believe I needed my caffeinated boost to stimulate my morning writing ideas, for example--false! I do just as well with decaf--it's the ritual aspect I enjoy.

Also, I'd have to give up caffeine when I was taking a trip, for example, and just didn't know if I'd be able to maintain my coffee intake where I was going and so I'd suffer through a headache for three days before I left just to ensure that caffeine withdrawal didn't ruin my travel time. Yeah, I don't miss that.

I love decaf! You can do it! You unfortunately will have to suffer some, though. It's the rite of giving up caffeine, apparently. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:37 am 
WELFARIST!

So I have another question for everyone. When you stopped drinking coffee, did you just stop drinking coffee or caffeine all together?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:35 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Mr. Shankly wrote:
So I have another question for everyone. When you stopped drinking coffee, did you just stop drinking coffee or caffeine all together?

I stopped drinking coffee and moved to black tea in the morning. It gives me a very gentle perk up and let's me indulge in the morning ritual.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I switched to green tea and I still drink it daily. Much easier on my digestion, and I enjoy whatever little perk-up I may be getting from it. I don't remember headaches from this switch like I got when I tried to quit cold turkey, which I've done several times. I find I can have a coffee once a month or so when I crave it and not get re-addicted. You know, it's hot- I need an ice coffee; it's drab and cold- I need a latte.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I went straight to decaf coffee (and dropped the caramel syrup at the same time) and Dragonfly brand vanilla or chai malay rooibos tea.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:48 am 
WRETCHED

Mr. Shankly wrote:

I had given up caffeine a few years ago but didn't drink coffee. My recent departure from coffee, is mostly giving up coffee and somewhat limiting other caffeine. Lots of herbal tea but some regular tea too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:14 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I gave up all caffeine (except chocolate). I didn't reintroduce the occasional decaf latte until I was no longer hooked, and I still only drink herbal teasans.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

Mr. Shankly wrote:

No, I still take in caffeine in things like tea, chocolate, whatever trace amounts exist in my decaf, you know, incidental sort of ingestion, I don't consciously avoid caffeine as a rule, I just avoid the coffee caliber caffeine addiction. I have no caffeine withdrawal problems or symptoms at all anymore when I just restrict my intake to teas, chocolates and the like.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:41 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

JillW wrote:
I switched to green tea and I still drink it daily. Much easier on my digestion, and I enjoy whatever little perk-up I may be getting from it.

That's probably because it still has caffeine in it... Not as much as coffee, but enough that it probably helped you ramp down easily.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

solipsistnation wrote:
JillW wrote:
I switched to green tea and I still drink it daily. Much easier on my digestion, and I enjoy whatever little perk-up I may be getting from it.

That's probably because it still has caffeine in it... Not as much as coffee, but enough that it probably helped you ramp down easily.

For me, the differences are pretty pronounced. With coffee, depending on the strength, I can feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest, and my insides ripped apart. Whereas with green tea, I can skip having it and not really notice it's gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

rentaghost wrote:
I went straight to decaf coffee (and dropped the caramel syrup at the same time) and Dragonfly brand vanilla or chai malay rooibos tea.

I still eat plenty of chocolate but never did cola drinks etc. I had a red bull once and it made me vomit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 am 
Chard Martyr

I switched coffee for home-brewed kombucha for a morning pick-me-up. So the tea I use in the brew does still have caffeine, but it gives me a WAY different kick than coffee did, and it's so refreshing!

I was exhausted the other day and it was really hot so I bought a double-shot iced Americano and it made me feel like I was going to explode, I was so jittery. Oh and at Vida Vegan I drank a cup of coffee in the morning because I wanted to try the coconut creamers and have something in my hand (I know, weird), but I was shaking all day after. I don't understand why I am SO sensitize to coffee now in my thirties when I pretty much had it flowing through my veins in my twenties.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

JillW wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:
JillW wrote:

For me, the differences are pretty pronounced. With coffee, depending on the strength, I can feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest, and my insides ripped apart. Whereas with green tea, I can skip having it and not really notice it's gone.

This is off topic a bit, but I drink loads of coffee, and it doesn't affect me much in terms of making me jittery or anxious or sleepless or whatever. Green tea? forks me right up. I cannot deal with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

JillW wrote:
With coffee, depending on the strength, I can feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest

This is what I experience, too. My heart races, my hands shake, I talk too fast, I feel anxious, and I won't be able to sleep, even if I had it in the morning. I used to be fine, I drank coffee every day from my late teens and during most of my twenties, but a few years ago it became too much.
I love tea more than coffee so I just continued drinking tea and then I found that 3-4 cups of black tea was also making me feel that way. I switched to decaf tea, and sometimes I will have a decaf long black. While in the USA I started having coffee because a friend would go to Starbucks every day plus Vida Vegan Con, and now that I'm home I've been having one coffee a day but I want to kick it.

vijita wrote:
I was exhausted the other day and it was really hot so I bought a double-shot iced Americano and it made me feel like I was going to explode, I was so jittery. Oh and at Vida Vegan I drank a cup of coffee in the morning because I wanted to try the coconut creamers and have something in my hand (I know, weird), but I was shaking all day after. I don't understand why I am SO sensitize to coffee now in my thirties when I pretty much had it flowing through my veins in my twenties.

Damn you, VVC! Those coffee creamers were so good and I was having 1-2 cups of coffee a day while there. I am more sensitive since going vegan, that's for sure (but I don't know if those two things are related).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

Coffee doesn't do anything crazy to me but soda does. When I drink soda I end up feeling so sick and can't sleep, it's terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:49 am 
Nailed to the V

I quit drinking coffee in 2009 and didn't drink tea either for a couple of months. I was tired of being addicted and had the perfect opportunity to quit: a) I was at an SCA-type event, so I had been drinking only one cup a day for a week, and b) I had a stomach bug when I came home, so I couldn't drink any without vomiting for a couple of days. I had a headache for about five days (days 1-2 were the worst). I started drinking tea instead a few months later. I'm glad I did, because the headache I get if I miss my morning cuppa is nowhere near as bad with tea, you can really tell it's weaker!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:20 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm not trying to give up coffee completely but the amount I drink keeps creeping up and I want to get it back down. (I'm on about 3 big cups a day right now)

I busted out the Teaccino french roast sample I'd been ignoring in my vegan cuts stash and it's pretty good with some soy creamer and agave - definitely could fill that "drinking mug of hot beverage" void.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't drink coffee /caffeine every day but I always knew I was a bit sensitive to it. Lately whenever I drink coffee or coke I can't fall asleep at night. I'll go to bed but after 15 minutes I will wake up fully awake and itching. I haven't noticed it with green tea yet and I hope I can drink that one safely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive given up coffee twice in my life.
the first time was for a cleanse i was doing. i drank mostly peppermint tea when i needed something hot to drink as that was part of the ritual for me i think. peppermint tea prolly has some caffeine in it but im guessing less than coffee??

for awhile i had realy bad withdrawal headaches and was really stabby and the thought of peppermint tea still makes me angry beause i just wanted some coffee damnit.

the second time i gave it up was early in my pregnancy so it was actually easy to give it up because the thought of putting coffee in my mouth made me want to retch every where.

after giving it up i slept SO MUCH BETTER.

i didnt realize drinking coffee in the morning contributed to my insomnia at night but it totally did.

the only thingi can say is the stabbyness and headaches DO go away. and you DO feel better. it just takes a bit to get there