| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chest congestion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:58 am 
Semen Strong

I am asthmatic and have chest congestion I just can't shake. I'm using my inhalers, eucalyptus oil, drinking fennel tea and taking Mucinex. I can't take a decongestant because I'm breastfeeding, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with easing chest congestion using herbal or other remedies.

My MD just talks to me for 5 mins, gives me a Z-pack (which doesn't really help much) and charges me $200 so I'd love to try something else first.

Post subject: Re: Chest congestion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I was actually going to post about this a few days ago. well, kinda this. My aunt has ALS. Mucus builds up in her throat, but it is difficult for her to swallow. We've been looking at natural remedies to use as a decongestant. We're still experimenting, but ginger ale (and ginger in general) seems to help a lot. I'm not sure how well this will work with buildup in the chest, but it is worth a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:06 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hey hun, my asthma has gone wild (first time since going vegan) the past few days thanks to a chest infection. My friend is a doctor and she gave me some advice since I won't be able to get to my own doctor until Monday so will pm that now.

Also, get some frankinsense oil and sniff that. It really helps the airways. Burn lemon oil in a burner because that will "clean the air." Gargle water as hot and as salty as you can bare to kill the bacteria in your throat. I read somewhere before that a mixture of onion and lemon in hot water (google it to find the recipe) helps move the congestion. If I think of anything else I will come back tonight x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Nothing cleared it up permanently, so I'm on prednisone. Had to go to the local Immediacenter, because my asthma got triggered to the point that I felt like I was about to die, so yeah.

Between the OP and now I threw everything at the wall - reflexology of the lung points see here: (http://www.chinesefootreflexology.com/r ... allergies/), eucalyptus essential oil rubbed on my chest and in the humidifier, Thieves oil one drop taken on my tongue in the morning bc clove and cardamom are supposed to be very good for congestion, fennel tea was recommended as being good for congestion, lime juice (just one lime in a large glass of water). Oh and I ate lots of spicy foods - with a hefty dose of ginger and cayenne. I also used pounding on my chest and back to mechanically act to loosen mucus as well. Along with a hefty dose of Mucinex, my asthma meds etc....

Funnily enough Immediacenter was cheaper than my PCP - $125 for the visit and $1.34 for the pills. Which are probably the cheapest meds I've ever gotten.