| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small Meals/Large Snack Ideas for GERD/Insulin Resistance?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

While pregnant with my daughter a few years ago, I had issues with gestational diabetes, and then had to have my gallbladder removed after giving birth. Since then, I've been diagnosed with GERD, PCOS, and insulin resistance. My doctor recommended eating several small meals over the course of the day, which I've been trying to do, but I'd like more variety. I do well with large snacks, since trying to split regular meals into thirds or halves did not work so well for me (I work in a public library and don't have a lot of time off the desk, and need something I can quickly grab.). Has anyone had issues with GERD, PCOS or insulin resistance, and done well with small meals? Or do you just do small meals/large snacks in general? I'd love to hear some ideas. My current go-to snacks are peanut butter toast, almond butter and apple slices, banana-based smoothies, celery/carrots and hummus, and seitan or tofu wraps. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Small Meals/Large Snack Ideas for GERD/Insulin Resistanc
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:57 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I don't have GERD, but I'm hypoglycemic (and have PCOS). I'm a teacher and have to eat snacks quickly and discreetly during passing periods every day, so maybe I can help! I have the best luck controlling my blood sugar *and* my appetite when I eat every 3 hours like clockwork (okay, maybe 3 1/2 hours, but no more). Definitely try to combine proteins and sugars; I feel like I don't get sugar spikes or lows when I do that.

Since convenience can be a major issue, try to plan your meals and snacks during the weekend so you don't get caught feeling shaky and having to eat whatever is nearby. On the weekend, I prep my breakfasts: I make scrambled tofu tacos and freeze them so I can pop one in the microwave as I'm fixing my coffee and eat it in the car if need be. Mid-morning I have apple slices and peanut butter or some kind of granola bar. Lunch is almost always a small portion of leftover dinner (veggies, pasta, soup, whatever). Then another snack. Then dinner... something I can whip up in 30-45 minutes (and weekend planning is crucial to making that happen).

When you're out of options, a plain pb&j sandwich is awesome. Always have a couple granola bars in your purse. Hope that helped a little.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:30 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you so much, BluePooh. This is so helpful!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:56 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I did this when I pregnant with type 1 diabetes. I find it a pain in the asparagus to eat that many times a day, but it did help. I tried to have a protein-heavy food and a fruit or vegetable at each minimeal. I ate lots of hummus with whole wheat crackers and vegetables, spoonfuls of peanut butter, handfuls nuts, unsweetened soy milk (either with coffee or cereal), unsweetened soy yogurt with fruit, edamame, tofu, and vegan sausages. Occasionally vegan jerky, though that gets expensive. A few of the Kashi Go Lean cereals are vegan, so those are easy. Salads were actually really good, too, since I could load them with beans and tempeh.

FYI, banana smoothies (and most smoothies) are going to be hard on you if you have insulin resistance. People with normal insulin response can deal with them fine, but they're rough on people like us. Bananas digest pretty quickly, and blending them makes them digest even more quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Re: smoothies - what works for me is unsweetened soy or almond milk, a protein powder (not a meal replacement powder which is carb heavy, but a straight up protein powder, I prefer chocolate), ice, and peanut or almond butter (or the dry peanut butter which blends very easily). Chocolate protein powder + ice + cold coffee also makes a tasty smoothie. And then if I'm hungry in 15 minutes a whole piece of fruit. But I never blend fruit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:33 am 
Tofu Pup

Great ideas! Thank you very much. I hadn't thought about the insulin issues with bananas, mollyjade, and was solely thinking of potassium intake, but a good replacement for that might be a little avocado.

Coffee smoothies sound good, Ariann! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:48 am 
Tofu Pup

Oral contraception has greatly reduced all my PMS and period woes EXCEPT that I get horrible gas for days leading up to my period. Since it doesn't seem to be caused by the specific foods I'm eating, I'm at a loss for what to do about it. Any suggestions for magical teas or redies? I've never taken commercial gas medications because it seems an unnecessary fix to a relatively harmless problem. But yeah, thoughts appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:03 am 
Tofu Pup

Have you tried gently massaging your stomach or using a heating pad? Those things sometimes work for me, along with taking a warm bath. I have heard peppermint tea is helpful, but it gives me heartburn, so I avoid it. I've also heard good things about ginger and yogi teas, but haven't tried them.