| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best scalp treatments
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:13 am 
WRETCHED

So, when I was a teenager, I had horrible flaky scalp. Traditional dandruff shampoos did nothing. I used lots of smelly shampoos for years to keep it at bay until it did eventually go away. Of course I have no idea what those were anymore although I know they weren't prescription.

Well now I have flaky, sensitive scalp again and nothing I've tried is doing anything.

I've tried scalp/dandruff treatments from the following
Lush, Jason, Avalon Organics, Tea tree oil shampoo (this made it seem worse), Yes to Carrots, Aveda (old bottle I had, also seemed like it was worse).

I also plan to go to the dermatologist but I had no luck with that when I was young and I will be seeing my gynecologist next month so I can talk about hormones/whatever and how that might be affecting my scalp but until then, I'd just like to have a pain free scalp.

So help?

Post subject: Re: Best scalp treatments
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:35 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I have this problem atm and haven't found anything to help. I find a lot of the vegan shampoos either wreck my hair or my scalp, I never seem able to get anything that is good for both. I hope you find something that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:37 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my husband had this for a while and the derm gave him a zinc bar soap. it didn't do much.

we all have flaky scalp, especially in the winter. Mine used to get really bad, like embarrassed to go to the salon bad. A hair stylist friend told me about gentian violet and it has been great. Breastfeeding women use it to treat thrush in babies, so you might need to ask the pharmacist where to find it. It's usually pretty cheap. It stains like crazy with no hope of removal from anything, so be careful handling it.
I put about 5 or 10 drops inside a full bottle of shampoo and then shake it well (if your hair is processed light you might want to try 3 to 5, just in case. don't worry, diluted that much mixed in shampoo it washes off of everything). I read that many people use it to stop blond hair from getting yellowy, but we all noticed after I started using it that all of our scalps were less flaky and nasty. At this point now I just buy a huge jug of super-neutral generic shampoo and add the violet and scent we can all tolerate. It costs almost nothing, it's an accepted topical antimicrobial, and it's worth a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:30 am 
***LIES!!!***

I use the Jason 2-in-1 and it seems to do the trick.

My understanding is that dandruff is actually caused by yeast, so torque's rec of gentian violet makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oh, i had horrible flaky scalp for years. (it would come off in sheets. so gross. going no-poo would occasionally clear it up, but it would always come back, and i would have no idea what made it disappear.

now, i haven't had it for the past couple of months, and i'm still no-poo. i mostly do water only, but maybe once a month, i'll use either a small amount of shampoo+conditioner (not focusing on my scalp. just enough to cleanse the hair itself.) or maybe i'll use a little shikakai powder in water with an apple cider vinegar rinse (1 oz in 8-16 oz water) and scrub my scalp really well. and if i'm feeling somewhere between shampoo and shikakai on the laziness scale, i'll use baking soda. (1 tsp in 8 oz water) and the ACV.

other factors that might have helped:
i cut off 3 feet of my hair, now it's just above shoulder length (now it dries in only a few hours as opposed to the whole day)
i mostly only get my hair wet once a week
i haven't henna'ed my hair pretty much since i cut it. (i'm so lazy)
i've been taking vitex and B6 to help regulate my hormones. (i know for sure i was low in progesterone)
i've been taking "thyroid support" from now vitamin. (iodine is a precursor to thyroid hormones, and i know i hadn't been consuming much for... my entire adult life? and i never think to add salt to my food, so this is a compromise. bonus, it has B12 too.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:54 pm 
WRETCHED

I looked up the gentian violet and it seems like it has potential.

This really all started when I stopped shampooing my hair as frequently, I was washing it once/week, using lush shampoo bars. So then I slowly started shampooing more frequently and I thought I was getting better. Except yesterday, I decided to get my hair cut and I realized how sensitive my scalp was by someone else handling it. So I figured I need to do something about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:10 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I think this is the product I used: http://www.lavishproducts.com/treatments-1/

You may want to give them a call. I asked about a scalp treatment and the product they recommended could be used overnight, which is why I think it is this one (even though this seems like more of a hair thing than a scalp thing.)

I also have the Lush one, but since that one needs to be rinsed out after 20 minutes, I don't like it as much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had terrible flaky scalp recently, and thought I'd just use a tea tree oil shampoo and all would be well. Well, nothing worked, I tried everything that's been mentioned above.

I switched to a basic shampoo, not tested on animals, but with the standard SLS type ingredients and started washing my hair more frequently and bingo, dandruff gone, after a year of trying everything else. My hair is very dry, so I never suspected oily scalp - turns out that's what it was. I just can't use the Nature's Gate type shampoos anymore, and I need to wash my hair every second day. I think it's changing hormones. I'm over 40, and in my twenties tea tree oil shampoo worked a treat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:33 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Whoops. Scratch the above. The Lavish product I have is called Scalp Rx.

Here you go: http://www.lavishproducts.com/products/ ... tment.html

It is excellent, and again, can be kept on overnight. It smells awesome.