| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: piercing recovery time
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've been wanting to get a nostril piercing (with a post, not a ring), and want to do this around Dec. 20. I'm heading out of the country on Jan. 1 and will be heading somewhere where I will be swimming in the ocean and a pool. Is this enough recovery time? I don't have particularly sensitive skin, and my ear cartilage piercing healed just fine when I did that. I'd really prefer not to wait till after this trip, but will if that's best for safety/healing. I'd love any thoughts from those of you with more piecing experience--there is a lot of conflicting info on the web. Thanks so much.

Post subject: Re: piercing recovery time
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:48 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Would have been fine for my septum by then, especially if you give a little salt water rinse before bed after being in the chlorine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:26 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

As a trained piercer I would suggest waiting 6 weeks before swimming in the sea or a pool. I definitely wouldn't go swimming with a week / two week old piercing as the chance of infection is high.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:48 am 
Saggy Butt

jojo wrote:
I definitely wouldn't go swimming with a week / two week old piercing as the chance of infection is high.

Especially in foreign countries were regulations and whatnot may not be what you're used to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:51 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my nostril piercing was okay, not horrible or anything, but it was oozy for a few weeks, and didn't actually get so i could take it out for a very long time. like a year.

since this thread is open--- the kid wants to get a cartilage piercing up high on her ear. like an industrial but with one hole only. am i right in assuming that this is much more involved than a lobe piercing and a 14 year old who can barely remember to brush her teeth is not likely to be able to care for it sufficiently?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:52 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I had my nostril pierced with a post last February, and I would recommend waiting. It took about three months before I felt like my piercing was sufficiently healed to do things like swimming. (probably a month over-cautious, but I really did not want to deal with an infection, plus I have seen a lot of people have issues with their piercings.) I had decided at the end of December that I wanted to get my piercing, but I knew that I would be swimming at the end of January, so I waited. I didn't want to wait either, but 2 months of waiting was worth it in my book. Better than walking around with a gross looking infected nose and being stressed out about it, plus do you know what kind of medical resources will be available to you while you are out of the country? If you absolutely can't wait, make sure you clean it really well immediately after swimming. I soaked mine in saltwater at least once a day for 15 minutes, and washed it with dial soap before going to bed everynight and then covering it with a bandage while I slept (otherwise I would get blisters from it rubbing on my pillow)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:31 am 

Haha, yup torque, you're correct! If you thought that baggy would be able to clean it twice a day for at least four months and not twist or play with it then it's a piercing 14 year olds are allowed to get with a parent present, in the UK anyway. I'm sure you know this, but just incase, it's a piercing that needs to be done with a needle and not a gun...I don't think any piercing should be done with a gun but ear cartilage would be dangerous as there's a chance it can shatter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:41 am 
WRETCHED

I never thought about piercing anything other than my ears BUT I was thinking that if I met a personal fitness goal, I'd get a nose piercing next year. My husband's only concern was how easy is it to close up? I'm guessing fairly easy? And does it bother you guys to have something in your nose?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am 

torque wrote:
since this thread is open--- the kid wants to get a cartilage piercing up high on her ear. like an industrial but with one hole only. am i right in assuming that this is much more involved than a lobe piercing and a 14 year old who can barely remember to brush her teeth is not likely to be able to care for it sufficiently?

Yeah for me this was the one piercing I had issues with. I ended up getting one of those big nasty skin bubble things. And I wasn't even that bad at taking care of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I got my cartilage pierced when I was 15, back when aftercare was 'put bacitracin on it'. Luckily my cartilage piercings healed okay (I got both sides done at the same time.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

thanks guys. after having bad gun piercings and then good needle piercings, i would never have anything done other than by a piercer. i might even bring her to my old piercer, i feel that strongly about how wonderful he is and what a great job good piercers do. i just don't think it's a good idea yet. now to convince the kid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:10 am 

Yeah, I mean... even though I think that specific piercing is difficult and might end up gross and/or bubbled up... I also think that I'm glad I got the piercing, the bubble was gone after about a year of not having it in, and as the emotionally unstable teen I was, it just felt good to make decisions about my body and see them through.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

that's cool to hear, Mars. there is a lot of "taking control" going on with her and I think she needs to talk to others about it- her friends are all piercing themselves and i just don't want to go there.
she did just go through a nasty staph infection from an infected splinter (not for lack of care, mind you, but the splinter was straight in and we couldn't see it or get it out, which was why it evaded us for 3 weeks) and i suspect she might not be ready to take on this kind of commitment (or risk).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 am 
Dead by dawn

linanil wrote:
I never thought about piercing anything other than my ears BUT I was thinking that if I met a personal fitness goal, I'd get a nose piercing next year. My husband's only concern was how easy is it to close up? I'm guessing fairly easy? And does it bother you guys to have something in your nose?

I have only taken mine out once, for ~11 hours for a job interview and the cartilege tightened up so much that I had to go to the shop and have the piercer put it back in. Even he had a hell of a time, and you really could hardly see the hole because it's right in the curve of my nostril. So, based on that, if his concern is that you might change your mind and not want a hole in your face later, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I could take mine out now and by tomorrow no one would ever know I'd had it. 99% of the time it doesn't bother me at all to have it there. Even blowing my nose isn't generally an annoyance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:29 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

monkeytoes, my nose is the same way, even 7 years later.
it is 100% no bother, even if i have a cold. once you get the hang of how to take it out it's no biggie. the nose has been such an awesome piercing, i spent so much of my life hating my nose, and the piercing made me realize, hey, my nose is cool. if i had known, i would have gotten it done years ago. also, nowadays, a nose piercing is not the big deal it used to be (i was sure my work would have trouble, but they didn't even notice).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:32 pm 
WRETCHED

My work is pretty conservative, I can't think of anyone who has bigger than earring size ear piercing or other visible piercings (other than me, my ears are at 6g, still a quasi conservative size). I imagine my manager would say something once but he already thinks I'm weird and I only see him a couple times per year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

No one at my work even noticed either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thank you, everyone, and especially Jojo for your expert opinion. It's not worth it to risk infection, so I'll wait.

It's funny how you can go for your life without a particular piercing, and then feel a total immediate need to get one!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:04 pm 

molasses jane wrote:
It's funny how you can go for your life without a particular piercing, and then feel a total immediate need to get one!

I get that feeling a lot! I pretty much only get pierced or tattooed in winter because I wanna swim all summer. I'm screwed if I get to travel somewhere warm one winter time!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mars wrote:
torque wrote:

Yeah for me this was the one piercing I had issues with. I ended up getting one of those big nasty skin bubble things. And I wasn't even that bad at taking care of it.

Yeah, this is a tricksy one. I got both sides done in my early 20's, responsibly with a needle and appropriately sized jewelry and everything: one completely freaked out and the other was fine. It's not like I took care of one side and ignored the other! (I wound up taking the bumpy one out and it eventually recovered but as a teen I would have probably cried for days over my horrible mutant ear bump*.)

*This made me terrified to pierce my nose. What if I got a horrible mutant nose bump? Is that likely with a nose?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I got my cartilage piercings between 13 and 16 (I have 5) and, honestly, I sucked at taking care of them and got three of them done with a gun. None of them became infected or bubbled or anything (I cleaned them once a day, maybe? And I was always twisting the posts).

In addition, my lip piercing has yet to close up (I've had it out for over two years now). Piercers didn't believe me six months ago when I wanted to get a ring put back in, that they didn't need to repierce it. I occasionally slip an earring post through it to see if I still can. It's unnoticeable, though. Nobody has ever mentioned it.

Not that I would ever recommend anything less than what jojo recommends! Definitely aim for that, but it isn't the total end of the world for everyone if it slips by a day or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

torque wrote:
my nostril piercing was okay, not horrible or anything, but it was oozy for a few weeks, and didn't actually get so i could take it out for a very long time. like a year.

I have a piercing like that, done by a professional piercer with a needle. I got it in college, 10 years ago. I had to clean it with special medical-grade antibacterial soap twice a day, and do a sea salt soak in the evening...which was interesting with your ear in a bowl. It healed great but it took a long time. It still gets painful sometimes to lay on that side, for whatever reason...I think just the normal crusty dead skin stuff irritating the piercing. I'm not sure I'd have been ready to care for it properly at 14. It hurt, and moving the water and soap through the piercing with the ring for the first few days was awful, but I knew I had to do it. I do think her ability to care for it probably depends on how badly she wants it. Just let her know it's at least a 6-8 week committment to caring for it twice a day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I was told 6 weeks by the professional piercer who did my belly button. It was the first piercing I got professionally done, the others I had were three in each ear and one in the cartilage, all done by me, so it was the first advice I got. I was told no sauna (it was in Finland, so this was a concern), no swimming, no sweating without cleaning it after immediately with salt water rinse. They said not to clean otherwise except for with soap and water in order to not dry it out and flake the skin though, which seems contradictory to what I see here from some people. Perhaps because my skin was getting dry as it was at the time, and it was also winter cold and dry?

Anyways, it worked because no infections, and no infections for my lip or nipple cared for in the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was told the surgical soap (I was told to use Hibiclens) is too harsh and can cause irritation. I used it when I got my nipples pierced and even ten years later they got irritated. I took them out and redid them, this time using sea salt soak and plain soap and water and they healed just fine.

Piercing aftercare has come a long way. Also, this thread is making me want to redo my snakebites.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:39 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

oh man... i have the piercing itch again... and i blame this thread, partially! and i just had new piercings done a month and a half ago. i like the looks of daiths and conches, but i'm not sure i can deal with aftercare/sleeping, since i wake up several times in the middle of the night to switch sides. we'll see if i still want them next year (when winter/derby off-season coincide again).