| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Confirmed link between omega 3 and prostate cancer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Study confirms link between high blood levels of omega-3 fatty acids and increased risk of aggressive prostate cancer

There's no indication as to whether the link is present with vegetarian sources/supplementation, although at one point the article refers specifically to "marine" omega 3 fatty acids. I suspect the research has only been done using fish oil, hence the qualifier. I hope that they take the research further to see if the correlation carries through to veg sources.

Is it extra cynical of me that even though this result comes from replicated, randomized, peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled study, I highly doubt folks are going to demonize fish oil in the way that soy is demonized based on squat?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post subject: Re: Confirmed link between omega 3 and prostate cancer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

wow, that's pretty interesting. I'm curious to hear more about this.
lepelaar wrote:

Is it extra cynical of me that even though this result comes from replicated, randomized, peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled study, I highly doubt folks are going to demonize fish oil in the way that soy is demonized based on squat?

I actually don't see why people would be less likely to demonize fish oil than soy. I remember a time when soy was very popular and considered very healthy in the mainstream, I can't remember why now, maybe for menopause or something that? Anyway, I feel like people are very quick to jump on and off nutrition bandwagons, and it doesn't matter whether they're plant or animal based. In fact, if it comes out that it was only fish omega-3's that were harmful, I bet everyone will be flocking for the vegan sources of omega-3's.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My dad saw this and brought it up and wants to try our (mom's and my) vegan omegas instead of his Costco fish oil (his doctor has ordered him to take it because of some of his health issues).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:28 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

"Marine" could mean algal as well though, couldn't it? Its not likely what they used, but anyway, it could mean anything from the ocean.

Though that would leave out flax.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

that's really interesting. If it turns out to only be fish oil, I hope that encourages someone to make therapeutic (1000mg - ish)doses of algae based omega 3s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I wonder how it affects those who don't have prostates?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i wonder if it's not actually the omega 3s, but something else that's ingested because of fish oil. (perhaps mercury?)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

It'll be interesting to hear Jack Norris or Ginny Messina if they weigh in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:10 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about basically always forgetting to take my omthrees.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I have been alternately ignoring and rolling my eyes at the whole omega 3 fatty acids thing. Now I feel totally vindicated for my apathy, and that's the best kind of vindication because you don't have to work for it at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:12 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've been reading up about this to figure out if it's just fish oil. The study is about the risk of prostate cancer with DHA fatty acids. The good stuff about Omega 3s is the DHA and EPA. Apparently the vegan versions like flaxseed, walnuts, canola oil, etc. all have ALA which the body has to convert to those other acids. They get a lot of criticism for bad conversion rates (like 1% in men and 5% in women or something) leading to low levels of usable Omega 3s.

So from what I understand from some internet searches (I'm not an expert in the field) the vegan stuff doesn't work well. Yet, that would also mean it won't give you prostate cancer because it's not giving you much Omega 3 anyway.

As always it seems supplements do both good and bad. Maybe there's some way to get EPA and not DHA that would bypass the problems. I'm sure there will be more studies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:33 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

solipsistnation wrote:
Yeah, I have been alternately ignoring and rolling my eyes at the whole omega 3 fatty acids thing. Now I feel totally vindicated for my apathy, and that's the best kind of vindication because you don't have to work for it at all.

I haven't been paying attention to Omega anything at all. When I was growing up I never even heard the word, and I'm fine. I figure if they are so damn important put an omega 3 line on nutrition labels and tell me how many grams and what % it is. Then maybe I'll pay attention to it, maybe.

To be honest I couldn't even tell you what they are, other than some kind of fat, and why we need them. I'm clueless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tigon wrote:
I've been reading up about this to figure out if it's just fish oil. The study is about the risk of prostate cancer with DHA fatty acids. The good stuff about Omega 3s is the DHA and EPA. Apparently the vegan versions like flaxseed, walnuts, canola oil, etc. all have ALA which the body has to convert to those other acids. They get a lot of criticism for bad conversion rates (like 1% in men and 5% in women or something) leading to low levels of usable Omega 3s.

So from what I understand from some internet searches (I'm not an expert in the field) the vegan stuff doesn't work well. Yet, that would also mean it won't give you prostate cancer because it's not giving you much Omega 3 anyway.

As always it seems supplements do both good and bad. Maybe there's some way to get EPA and not DHA that would bypass the problems. I'm sure there will be more studies.

There's vegan EPA and DHA too - http://www.amazon.com/Amerifit-Nutritio ... ds=ovega+3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My doctor wants me to take an omega 3 supplement because they are supposed to be helpful for treating mood disorders. I haven't because there is no high dose vegan version available yet.