| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keeping Smoke Out and the Air in Your Home Healthy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:19 pm 
Semen Strong

So I'm trying to find ways to keep our neighbor's smoke out of our home. They set up their fire pit and barbecue under our window and the smoke goes straight in, even when we have the airconditioners on and the windows closed. I am asthmatic and basically on the days they barbecue, I can barely breathe. I have a HEPA filter on in my bedroom and an AC running (recirculating) but it still doesn't get rid of the smell or the asthma triggers for me. Our neighbors refuse to move their barbecue and fire pit and it looks like I am out of any resources that could make them do so.

I've been told to use box fans pointing out (but I wonder whether that is actually better than just having the window closed). Another friend suggested using essential oil diffusers to make it smell better (though again, it doesn't really get rid of the smoke itself).

Any other ideas? Has anyone else dealt with this and if so how did you manage it?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Post subject: Re: Keeping Smoke Out and the Air in Your Home Healthy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:37 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Secondhand- ... -Apartment

This might help you out, it's more for cigarette smoke in apartments but my boyfriend's been dealing with that recently. It's odd because the smoke from the front of his apartment - barbeque, cigarette, or otherwise doesn't ever come in - but if someone smokes in the stairwell from the back of his apartment, the whole place will reek. The door seals suck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I suggest hanging bags of dog turds right outside your window to encourage them to move said fire pit.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:47 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't want to escalate things or else I'd buy bottles of deer urine and spray them on their grill. But I do think about it.

Plus I'd probably smell the poop worse than they would!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:03 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Charcoal filters. I have them at air intake points in my flat because the neighbour's smoking was making me sick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:08 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Tofulish wrote:
I've been told to use box fans pointing out

I have a window fan in my bunny's room that can be set either on intake or exhaust. It fits snugly in the window. That might work better than sticking a box fan in the window, since it's more airtight to keep the smoke out. When my parents smoked, we had some of those "air sponges" around the house to help remove odor from the air. They helped a little bit.

Sorry you have to deal with this!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Do you have a link fruitbat? I find a bunch of different things when I google charcoal filters, and I'd love to see what you mean.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:25 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
Do you have a link fruitbat? I find a bunch of different things when I google charcoal filters, and I'd love to see what you mean.

Not really? My landlord was nice enough to put them in when I complained, since the problem started when they changed the ventilation system in my building. Basically they are sort of spongey black sheets made with activated carbon. Does that help?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:30 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Also keep in mind that filters are not a one-and-done sort of thing. They need to be changed regularly (every few months?) and ours need to have kitty cat fur removed from them more often than not. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:36 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Sounds to me like you need to figure out exactly where the smoke is coming in. If your windows are closed then it's not possible that it's coming in through the window. Look around the outside of your house for vents. Then I'd just DIY some kind of activated charcoal filter for all the vents, intake and out even, because sometimes it's hard to tell which is which and who knows, maybe air can go in some of the out vents when they aren't actively being used. And the reason I say DIY for the vents rather than a bought filter sheet thing, well, I think you should definitely get one of those too, but honestly I don't think they grab all the air. In my house anyways. So I feel like if you stuck some charcoal fluffy stuffing kind of stuff in the holes like a mad person it would be a great first defense. (I have no idea what this stuff is called but I'd just look around in the hardware store and try a couple things)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:38 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh and maybe a lot of open boxes of baking soda around the house.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:

They usually look something like this,
Image , when they're used in like an HVAC system. The black stuff inside the frame is the charcoal filter, and I'm pretty sure you can get all sorts of sizes/shapes for it if you look in the right place. I've definitely seen small ones (like for freshening shoes or diaper pails) at the Japanese twoonie store/$2 dollar store.

I also agree with Mars. You should try closing all your windows and doors, and see if you (or maybe your husband) can figure out where else the smoke might be coming into your home. ETA: By this I meant, so that you don't have smoke seeping in even more places than just your windows. I don't mean you should just seal everything up and never open your window again! (Though it probably feels like the only option, right now. :( I hope your situation improves soon!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:13 pm 

A fan pointing out and another one pointing in from a different area without smoke will work better than closed windows, since it will keep air moving out of the house. Just because you have the windows closed dosen't mean they don't leak drafts around the windows, and with the ac on and all the windows closed it's probably trapping air in the house. You need to ventilate, so if you don't like the fan blowing out idea, how about an attic fan or leaving bathroom ventilation fans going to suck out the air in your house?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you! We do have an attic fan, but that often ends up just sucking all the smoke upstairs.... I want to try the extractor fan - I bought a small one and we are going to move the AC.

We looked all around the house for possible ways for the smoke to get in and I really don't see any besides the AC on that side of the house.

Thank you all for the input. I really don't know what to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My dad used to work for Carrier (he didn't install, but he knows quite a bit). He suggested perhaps having a HVAC guy come out and check things out and maybe work up some solutions and estimates. Find someone who has experience helping people deal with allergens and airflow/ventilation issues. He also suggested the in/out fan system. You could get someone to install that too.

(fun fact: he once delivered a tractor trailer size unit to the white house and the state department, plus a bunch of embassies)

Karma. I hope it bites your neighbors on the asparagus. With really, really sharp teeth.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]