| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gallbladder Diet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hey gallbladder people,

I may have gallstones (went to the ER Sunday with tons of pain) and while I'm waiting for my ultrasound I was told to go on a low-fat diet. The doctor advised against the regular meat, dairy, eggs, but since that doesn't really apply, I'm wondering what low-fat even means... I've never counted fat grams, so what's a low amount of fat in a meal? Can I have soymilk and tofu? Tofurkey slices? Seedy bread? Flax seed? A Clif bar (5g)?

I know this is individual, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Gallbladder Diet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Hiya. I had my g-bladder removed in December and my diet leading up to that was very, very restrictive. The things that caused attacks included:

Daiya
Nuts and seeds (except peanut butter for some reason)
Deep fried anything
Oily food
Coconut milk based curries and ice creams
Tofurky sausages

For what it's worth, the only thing that helped with the pain, other than a restrictive diet and eventual removal, was medicinal marijuana. I tried several prescription drugs and none of them touched the pain.

I hope you feel better soon!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had mine removed a few years ago. Low fat was helpful in keeping attacks at bay, but removal was the ultimate fix. I stayed away from nuts, seeds, oils, nut butters, and vegan snacks like coconut and almond milk ice creams, earth balance, veganaise, vegan cheeses, etc. It sucked for a while, I missed peanut butter so much! But after the surgery I didnt have to restrict those things anymore.

A helpful rule of thumb is to look at how many of the calories in something are coming from fat. If more than 40% or so (guesstimate) of the calories are from fat you should hold off on eating it. So I dont think a clif bar would fall under that category.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Okay, that sounds tolerable (though annoying). I'm basically eating fruits, veggies, grains and beans right now, so while healthy, it's a bit restrictive. I'm at a loss for snacks since I'll usually have nuts and/or hummus. Also, what on earth do I put on salads?! This is only the first super bad attack I've had in a while, so I'm not even sure it's gallstones, but I might as well play it safe. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:54 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm unusual in that going vegan helped me, I've only had minor issues with overeating nuts. I have had gallstones for 8 years or so and things like hummus doesn't bother me. It is pretty individual though. I thought I was dying when I had an attack when i still ate meat though and an ultrasound confirmed gallstones. It has probably been 4 years or so since I've had any attack.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 am 
Bathes in Braggs

How about low-fat hummus?

I got mine removed last year. I still get pain when I eat super-greasy stuff but not as quickly as before it was removed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 am 
Bathes in Braggs

mine* = my gallbladder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:50 am 
Impressive boner

Be aware of chilli, alcohol and vinegar too. Pickles were the worst thing for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh yes, I never drank alcohol but my doctors told me to forget about it. And vinegar still makes me puke-y sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:32 am 
WRETCHED

Oh I stopped drinking years before I had gallbladder issues but I am a spicy lover, it doesn't cause me issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:56 am 
Ninja Master

Ugh I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

By the time I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago, I was having attacks pretty much every day and everything I ate set it off. I was literally reduced to only eating mashed potato and plain rice. When I first started getting attacks the culprits were always fatty food, sugary food... junk food basically, not eating for a long time and then eating something crepe, or eating too much in one sitting.

The first attack I ever had was after a massive thai meal. I'd been getting bad (what I though was) heartburn attacks for a while, but then this one night I had the worst pain I'd ever had until that point and it lasted for about 7 hours.

I had 3 years of the docs telling me it was acid reflux, giving me super strong pills that were doing nothing except giving me a load of nasty side effects, before I ended up in A&E with the pain. I had a couple of endoscopies before I got sick of begging them to scan me for gallstones and took my mum into the docs with me in case I burst out crying when they waved me out their office again. Having my gallbladder out was the only option for me because I was too far gone. If they'd left it too much longer it could've become very serious, it was so distended.

So yeah, I digress. If you can control it with diet, great. I'm sure the triggers are different for everyone but usually it's fatty food, booze and spicy food. Funnily enough, booze didn't seem to be a trigger for me.

Also, I'm sure I heard that sometimes they can break up the stones if they're not too bad.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:00 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Do you guys still get pain similar to the attacks if you eat too much fat or do you just get some stomach issues? The surgeon told me I would have to stay on a low fat diet forever but it doesn't really seem to give me any problems, unless I just naturally eat less fat than most people. But I'm def not trying to cut any out! Yesterday I had 35 grams.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:03 am 
Ninja Master

Not really but if I eat too much then I sometimes get heartburn like pain, which is similar to some of what I used to get during a gallstones attack, but I don't get the pain in my ribs and the middle of back anymore really. I definitely don't get affected by fatty, sugary or spicy food anymore, unless like I said I eat way too much.

What I have had is funny stomach pain a couple of times, once about 6 weeks after the op. Where it felt like I ate too much and it was painful when I stood but ok when I sat down. I've had that once again since then. I don't know if it's related or if I just was struggling to digest what I'd eaten.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:12 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I got mine removed a few years ago. The surgeon told me that I would want to take it easy with fats at first, but that I could add them as I feel comfortable. No problem eating mac-n-cheese or curries now! Of course leading up to it, a peanut butter and banana sandwich made me throw up. Also, tomatoes made it worse for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

GraciaKai wrote:
Do you guys still get pain similar to the attacks if you eat too much fat or do you just get some stomach issues? The surgeon told me I would have to stay on a low fat diet forever but it doesn't really seem to give me any problems, unless I just naturally eat less fat than most people. But I'm def not trying to cut any out! Yesterday I had 35 grams.

35 grams is low-fat, so yeah, you're probably just naturally eating low-fat.

i still have attacks and digestion issues. It's not after one "bad" meal, though, but after days of too much crepe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:28 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

almiratanner wrote:
Okay, that sounds tolerable (though annoying). I'm basically eating fruits, veggies, grains and beans right now, so while healthy, it's a bit restrictive. I'm at a loss for snacks since I'll usually have nuts and/or hummus. Also, what on earth do I put on salads?! This is only the first super bad attack I've had in a while, so I'm not even sure it's gallstones, but I might as well play it safe. Thanks!

When my husband had to do this diet, we ate lots of pretzels, since they're fat free and snacky. Our favorite was pretzel crisps (the ones that look like chips) with homemade low fat hummus. For the hummus, we didn't use any oil or tahini, but added a few drops of sesame oil for flavor. Check out Fat Free Vegan for salad dressings and hummus-like dips.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:32 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

This is one salad dressing I loved from her site: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/01/two-salads.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I'm sad to hear booze is no good. I RARELY drink one more than one drink, but I do love a nice dark beer :( I also hope I'm one of the lucky ones that can tolerate spicy. I have my ultrasound on Saturday, so I guess I'll find out what this is all about then.

Good call on the pretzels and fatfreevegan, by the way!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Well... it's not gallstones. I'm relieved, but also annoyed because no one has come up with an explanation for my symptoms yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well that is some good and not so good news! Hopefully the docs will come up with some more tests that can be run. What are your symptoms?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've had really unspecific stomach things for a while (nausea, bloating, pain, heartburn), but then last week it was super intense pain in my gallbladder area. I've had every blood and urine test possible. My GP is now sending me for a pelvic ultrasound (I guess in case it's referred pain?)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

For what it's worth I didn't have stones. I had "sludge" and every test I had (ultrasounds, MRI, some radioactive one I can't think of right now) kept coming up borderline. Finally I was told I had a cyst in my gallbladder that wasn't the cause of the pain (but who really knows) and I could either have a duct bifurcation that would have a 25% chance of success or have it removed which I would eventually have to do because of the cyst so I had it removed and problem solved. I really did have to advocate for myself though.

The pain and other symptoms I was experiencing were classic gallbladder though (the excruciating pain that started in the gallbladder region and then traveled down my GI tract, the creepy clay-coloured poo that smelled like rubber, the fat-as-trigger).

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had sludge too but it showed up on the ultrasound so they didnt hesitate with my diagnosis. Not everyone has stones.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:57 am 
Ninja Master

My gallbladder was "massive and full of stones". That was the registrar's post op description! haha

When I had the scan there was apparently at least one the size of a pound coin.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 am 
Tofu Pup

The appropriate follow-up test if you've been found to not have stones would be a HIDA scan. It measures the ejection capacity of the gallbladder. Or said another way, how well is the gb able to squirt out the bile it holds. If there is low ejection factor then sludge with symptoms identical to gb stones is experienced. It's refered to as cholestasis and Sam-e seems to be specific for it. The Mayo Clinic has a protcol for the cholestasis in pregnant women. Works fine for other folks too.

Shared with the best of intentions.