| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silent reflux disease
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I just figured out that some symptoms I've been dealing with for the last few years are the result of silent reflux disease. I attributed the symptoms to allergies, but they are most likely this form of reflux. I'm dealing with a lump in my throat that I can't swallow away, coughing/gagging, phlegm, and needing to clear my throat a lot. I don't have heartburn, but apparently that isn't the only sign of acid reflux. I'm going to see my doctor about it this month, but in the meantime I need to start dealing with it.

The biggest bummer is that all recommendations say to follow a low acid diet. No spicy food, so fried food, and a lot of things I have read say no tomatoes! I also love sparkling water and cocktails, which are out.

My uncle who also deals with the disease said I should raise the head of my bed and not to eat after 7 pm.

I'm bummed. I want these symptoms to stop. I've gotten used to them over the last few years, but there are risks of cancer and long-term esophagus damage, so I need to deal with it.

Anyone have tips or ideas about dealing with this? Meal plan ideas that are low-acid?

Post subject: Re: Silent reflux disease
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hm, why can't you drink sparkly water? Isn't it the same as carbonated water? I know not all of them are, but some sparkly water here in denmark is PH-neutral(like Ramlösa), and isn't it the PH-value you should worry about?
I hope you feel better soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I used to get reflux quite bad but with no heartburn. It got to the stage where the acid was coming up as far as my mouth even if I did everything right. For a while I had fairly severe nausea with it and basically lived on ginger tea and ginger snaps. I really don't envy you. It took years of expensive tablets to get my stomach back to some sort of normality.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Shamini wrote:
Hm, why can't you drink sparkly water? Isn't it the same as carbonated water? I know not all of them are, but some sparkly water here in denmark is PH-neutral(like Ramlösa), and isn't it the PH-value you should worry about?

It's not the pH of the water, but rather the bubbles themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
I used to get reflux quite bad but with no heartburn. It got to the stage where the acid was coming up as far as my mouth even if I did everything right. For a while I had fairly severe nausea with it and basically lived on ginger tea and ginger snaps. I really don't envy you. It took years of expensive tablets to get my stomach back to some sort of normality.

What kind of medication were you on? I am trying to avoid that at first if I can, but I know it might have to happen. I realize that the amount I eat has a lot to do with it. Too much and I nearly vomit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:59 am 
Ninja Master

I was given omeprazole for acid reflux. Of course it was no help because I didn't have reflux, I had gallstones, haha. But I didn't have heartburn for 3 years which was nice!! You can normally buy omeprazole over the counter, at least you can over here. It's only if you need a stronger dose that you need a prescription.

I read everything about reflux when I was told I had it and a lot of people said to raise the head of the bed and not eat within an hour or 2 of going to bed. And also cut certain things out. It might be that not all of them will be triggers for you. Maybe try keeping a food diary because when I get heartburn it's normally after white wine or fatty/crappy food. Spicy food and tomatoes, usually absolutely fine.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:01 am 
Ninja Master

pickledtreats wrote:
I realize that the amount I eat has a lot to do with it. Too much and I nearly vomit.

Also, yes this is another one for me. I cannot eat massive meals anymore or I have some real stomach pain.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:05 am 
Huffs Nooch

pickledtreats wrote:
Shamini wrote:

It's not the pH of the water, but rather the bubbles themselves.

Ah ok. What a shame, I was hoping that you could at least have one of the things you miss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:41 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

My allergist diagnosed me with this and I have been helped by taking omeprazole it seems. I've not yet bothered with the diet fixes but I may get around to that. Of course the last few weeks I think it HAS been my allergies causing the biggest problem (because of sinus headaches as well), but anyway.

But fatty and spicy seem to be my worst. My breathing was best when I was on Eat to Live.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

baps wrote:
I was given omeprazole for acid reflux. Of course it was no help because I didn't have reflux, I had gallstones, haha.

Yep, same here! I switched to Nexium and it helped (compared to Prilosec - which is basically the same thing, not sure why it really made a difference) - but only for so long because it was actually my gallbladder.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

Bumping this up because, lucky me, I've got this now too!

I also thought it was related to some kind of allergy or asthma because it felt like the top of my top of my lungs were stuffed with cotton balls. It was getting so bad that sometimes I would wake myself up in the middle of the night coughing because I was trying to get the breath out. Eeek! So I went to an ENT, she did the scary scope thing down my nose, and ta-da, reflux.

She has me on Zantac in the morning and Carafate at night, plus some nasal sprays since my nose is kind of a mess too (but that's a whole different story). They seem to help a little, but like you, pickledtreats, I'm not excited about all these possible food/lifestyle changes. I think my biggest problem is eating late at night and I'm getting a little better at curbing that. But cut out alcohol? Tomatoes? Coffee?? I've been keeping a food journal but it's hard to pinpoint what exactly is triggering the worst attacks. It could be any of those things but I also fear it could be peanut butter or even wheat/gluten.

I'm thinking about doing an elimination diet to narrow it down but I don't know if I have the stamina to last through the elimination phase. Has anyone ever tried this?

Also: for those of you taking antacids, do you take them every day or just as needed? I'm hoping I don't have to take pills for the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:29 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I suffered from reflux a few years back, but I'm pretty sure mine was from eating too much junk food. I worked at a pizza joint at the time, so there was plenty of tomatoes, spices, and even dairy involved. Changing my diet helped immensely and I haven't had it come back since. In other words, the diet sounds pretty harsh, but it might be enough to reset your system?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have silent reflux but mine just feels like an eternal sore throat.

My doctor put me on over the counter prilosec, which I took for a month and stopped drinking alcohol, and it healed up.

BUT and this is a major BUT for us vegans - it gave me a severe B-12 deficiency! I was feeling weird tingling type pains in my extremeities and couldn't figure out why, then one day I happened to take a methycobalamin and within 30 min I felt much better so that's how I realized what was going on. Unfortunately i didn't notice soon enough and I am pretty sure I now have permanent nerve damage in my thigh.

They just had an article about it in the NY Times.

Normally it takes years, but I must have been deficient already or something, since it happened to me so quickly. My doctor was obviously extremely knowledgeable and she listened to me very closely (unlike most drs) but even she didn't think it would happen. When I told her what happened at my follow up visit then she totally 'got' it, but didn't even think to warn me about it beforehand. I guess she just didn't have much experience with vegans.

So be really careful if you take stomach meds!!

The honest truth is I think my biggest problem was cocktails, and eating before bed. Once I cut those out the symptoms greatly reduced even without meds, and while still eating acidic foods. So you may want to just experiment with different levels of how much you cut out.