| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what the heck?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:58 am 
So Totally Yiffy

i've been vegan for two months (vegetarian for 3 years) and i've gained 2 kilos (5 lbs) since! i don't eat meat or cheese substitutes (nothing good available in my country) and i don't drink soda. i used to eat a lot of eggs...i guess i just replaced them with flour products? what the hell? help?

Post subject: Re: what the heck?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:05 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Eating a vegan diet is no guarantee of weight loss (or even maintenance). My suggestion is to keep a food log for a while so you can easily see exactly what you are eating and then plan from there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

i wasn't expecting necessarily to lose weight...but gain? i've cut out eggs, milk, and cheese when i used to eat quite a lot of them. maybe i'm just eating more than i used to? i could make a log but i don't know how that could help me unless i had a nutritionist look at it lol..and that's $$

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

What do you usually eat in a day? Breakfast/lunch/dinner? Snacks? I don't buy much meat/cheese subs but I know if I wasn't careful I could very easily eat far too many calories!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:50 am 
Discovered unobtainium

A food log can tell you if you are suddenly eating high calorie snacks or lots of calorie intensive foods without realizing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:57 am 
So Totally Yiffy

vixki wrote:
What do you usually eat in a day? Breakfast/lunch/dinner? Snacks? I don't buy much meat/cheese subs but I know if I wasn't careful I could very easily eat far too many calories!

i know i could be eating more healthy, but i don't eat any differently than i did before (just minus the dairy and eggs)...but i'm pretty sure that my portions have become bigger. i think i just need to commit to eating salad one meal a day

what i ate yesterday:

breakfast: two slices of toast with a roasted vegetable spread
lunch: one roll (8 pieces) of vegetable futomaki sushi and a side of fried potatoes covered in chili sauce (bad, i know)
dinner: eight assorted dim sum and bao rolls, with a glass of wine

what i had today:
breakfast - a big peanut butter and jelly sandwich
lunch - a whole eggplant, sliced in two, hollowed out, and filled with a sauteed mixture of onions, tomatoes, and the eggplant and baked...covered with generous amounts of tahini sauce
dinner - i'll probably have sushi (i work at an asian restaurant)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:01 am 
So Totally Yiffy

oh, and to clarify, those potatoes were definitely deep fried

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Can I also ask... what is so bad about gaining 2 kgs? I mean, if you keep gaining weight I would worry, too. But having your weight fluctuate slightly when you change your diet doesn't sound strange at all.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:14 am 
So Totally Yiffy

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Can I also ask... what is so bad about gaining 2 kgs? I mean, if you keep gaining weight I would worry, too. But having your weight fluctuate slightly when you change your diet doesn't sound strange at all.

because i'm already overweight...these two kilos pushed me over to technically obese on the bmi charts. and also gaining weight wouldn't be so weird to me if i hadn't given up heavy cream in my pasta sauces, butter on everything (no good vegan substitute here), spontaneous ice cream runs, dessert at almost any restaurant, and other things that are now off limits...i thought i'd at least lose a bit of weight by default. i've heard things about soy making women gain weight...could that be a factor?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

And weight just fluctuates sometimes. I know mine definitely goes up and down 5lbs sometimes just on a whim. I wouldn't go crazy over it, it might not be related to diet at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:18 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Where are your beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh? In my experience, I find that eating too little protein will leave me ravenous, even if I get all the calories I need and then some. Same with fat - having a bit of fat early in the day goes a long way. For comparison, my breakfast this morning was a bowl of muesli with soy yogurt (lots of protein) and a latte (more protein), my lunch was broccoli quiche with a tofu/walnut base (protein and good fats). I don't typically feel the need for a snack until dinner time, at 7:30 or so.

But also, I agree with VeganinBerlin. I wouldn't worry about a little bit of weight fluctuation while you are transitioning, and focus on learning new staples for a balanced vegan diet. Once you have that down, it will always be time to reduce if you want to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I never heard about soy making people gain weight (unless you mean by eating too much soy you could affect your hormones... but that sounds unlikely) but if you worry you could always switch to almond milk if you suspect soy not being too good for you.

You did say you eat more than before? Do you know why? Are you replacing your protein with carbs?

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:24 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Also, I'm slightly jealous of you being able to get sushi at work! How lucky.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:31 am 
So Totally Yiffy

yeah, i have to admit that getting sushi at work is awesome. i still have to pay $2 for it as an employee meal though...

i'm definitely replacing protein with carbs. i eat a lot of pasta with nothing healthy, stir fries with tofu and veggies and rice, and lentils and rice. i just wish i knew how to make myself less hungry...so i'd have one bowl of lentils for dinner instead of three...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:38 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Maybe don't wait until dinner to have your protein? We had this thread for breakfast ideas a little while back: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26452

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:22 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

aelle wrote:
Maybe don't wait until dinner to have your protein? We had this thread for breakfast ideas a little while back: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26452

thanks, great thread :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

Maybe when you're super hungry like that, you could round out your meals with extra veggies. 3 bowls of lentils is more calorie dense than 1 bowl of lentils with some steamed broccoli or roasted carrots or whatever. Or instead of 3 big meals, have snacks in between so that you can reduce your portion size. I find that my hunger levels are a lot more controlled when I eat a small breakfast, a snack a couple hours later, a sandwich and some fruit or something for lunch, a snack about 2 or 3 hours after that, then a small dinner. I usually have another snack close-ish to bedtime, because if I don't then I wake up ravenous. Here's a typical day:

breakfast (8am): toast with peanut butter & jam or a smoothie with greens, fruit, and nut butter; tea
snack (10:30am): handful of nuts and dried fruit or a piece of fruit or some veggie with hummus
lunch (12 or 12:30pm): sandwich! Whole grain bread, tofu or chickpea salad, whatever toppings you like...or leftovers from last night's dinner
snack (3 or 4pm): maybe more toast, or a half sized pb&j, or some roasted chickpeas
dinner (7 or 7:30pm): anything goes! But I do usually try to balance protein, veggies, and a whole grain whether it's in a soup, salad, burrito, stir fry, whatever
snack (9ish): chips and hummus or guacamole

I know it sounds like a lot, but most of these portions are relatively small. I tend to eat way too many carbs when I'm not paying attention to what I'm eating (not that I don't LOVE carbs, but for example this week I basically just only ate sandwiches and pasta, which just makes me more hungry and a little puffy feeling). Meal planning helps me a lot too, so that all of the foods are readily available and I don't turn to junk food or easy (carby) things when I'm stressed or extra hungry. All that being said, everyone's different, this is just what works for me when I'm feeling extra hungry all the time. Balances me out. My weight does fluctuate from week to week, as does most people's, I think. The usual crepe, though: drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep, moderate exercise.

Oh, also, I gained something like 15 pounds when I went vegan, so you're definitely not the only one. I went from eating candy and cookies all day to eating a more healthy, balanced diet...but I was eating more (which at the time was best for me), so I gained the weight. Try not to worry too much about it.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Unless you're consistently gaining weight, I would really not put too much stock into 5 pounds. I weigh 145-150 nowadays, and it's not unusual for my weight to fluctuate within a 5 pound range from day to day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:12 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'm with allularpunk, rounding out your meals with extra veggies is a good way to go. veggies add lots of fiber to fill you up, they're lower in calories and they're just so darn good for you.

when i became vegan i gained about 15-20lbs. throughout the years i started incorporating soooo many more veggies, relying less on processed goods and adding in more whole grains and watching my portions. this has helped me tremendously in getting back to a healthier weight.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:26 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

creep wrote:
Unless you're consistently gaining weight, I would really not put too much stock into 5 pounds. I weigh 145-150 nowadays, and it's not unusual for my weight to fluctuate within a 5 pound range from day to day.

I concur with creep. My weight fluctuates at least 5lbs during the course of each day. How hydrated you are, and timing of your last bowel movement (sorry to be gross) make a difference of a few pounds. Also did you use the same scale 2 months ago? Even if you did, I notice if I move my scale over a few inches on my bathroom floor, I get a different reading because they floor isn't perfectly flat and level.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:34 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Tynamite wrote:
My weight fluctuates at least 5lbs during the course of each day. ....

..... if I move my scale over a few inches on my bathroom floor, I get a different reading because they floor isn't perfectly flat and level.

Yes! Weight can fluctuate a lot, especially in regards to water retention. Carbs often make people retain water, so if you've increased your carb intake, those 5 pounds might very well be water weight. Don't freak out and throw in the towel!

And oddly enough, my friend's scale gives really weird readings if her feet are cold.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Word to bulking up your usual meals with extra veggies. I have been eating a ton of carbs and pasta in the last year while in grad school because they were so easy and available. Now I'm trying to cut back, so instead of the usual bowl of peanut noodles with some broccoli I'm making it mostly broccoli with some noodles. I'm surprised how much I don't notice the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

VeganinBerlin wrote:

i was going to say the same thing; five pounds in two months doesn't seem like a lot at all. don't most people fluctuate that much in a single day?
speaking as someone who is currently underweight and expected to gain at least 1 pound per week...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I definitely can fluctuate by 5 lb in a day! If you're eating a lot more fiber, that might also help explain your weight gain because you're retaining more water.