| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Acne: The Saga continues
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:23 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

doesn't the acne.org regime use benzoyl peroxide? I always hated using BP on my back because it bleaches clothing.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:05 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Quarantined wrote:
I've actually heard of more women getting acne problems in their 20s 30s and 40s than in their teens lately it seems...it's not fair that women have these hormonal fluctuations that cause this shiitake. I'm scared to ever go off birth control- my skin has been fine for years now but who knows what will happen if ever do.

I had fairly normal skin as a teenager. I'm now 26 and it has been freaking out for the past year. I went off birth control and I think that's what initially caused it to freak out, but you would think that after a year it would settle down! Nope. I've been seeing a dermatologist and it's gotten better, but not great.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

luftpost wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
I've actually heard of more women getting acne problems in their 20s 30s and 40s than in their teens lately it seems...it's not fair that women have these hormonal fluctuations that cause this shiitake. I'm scared to ever go off birth control- my skin has been fine for years now but who knows what will happen if ever do.

I had fairly normal skin as a teenager. I'm now 26 and it has been freaking out for the past year. I went off birth control and I think that's what initially caused it to freak out, but you would think that after a year it would settle down! Nope. I've been seeing a dermatologist and it's gotten better, but not great.

I had the same thing at pretty much that exact same age. Though I had acne as a very young teen, it cleared up until my mid-twenties, then I went off birth control and it got bad. Even going back on birth control didn't help for a while, I think it took a couple of years to get better again. Not sure how much it's really linked to birth control or not- acne is so confusing and it seems like it can be linked to so many factors.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:15 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Benzyl peroxide CONSTANTLY. Even when your skin clears up. And Yaz. And Lush products. But BP all the way!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:35 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I use acne.org stuff, and my skin was getting really good in the summer and now it is AWFUL again. And I mean forreals. Really bad. My pimples are short lasting but the pigment lasts a year!!!

In the new year I'm going to try reducing my sugar intake, as well as twice weekly steamings and weekly bed sheet changes. Also,I had a blood test and found out my Vitamin D is very low - my skin was slightly better in the summer, is there any chance Vitamin D supplements help in the winter?

Formerly rad.badger

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

frozenveggies wrote:
I use acne.org stuff, and my skin was getting really good in the summer and now it is AWFUL again. And I mean forreals. Really bad. My pimples are short lasting but the pigment lasts a year!!!

In the new year I'm going to try reducing my sugar intake, as well as twice weekly steamings and weekly bed sheet changes. Also,I had a blood test and found out my Vitamin D is very low - my skin was slightly better in the summer, is there any chance Vitamin D supplements help in the winter?

I take like 8,000 IU of vitamin D all year round because I had low levels and I never get any sun. I think it's especially important in the winter in the northern hemispehere. I'm not sure if it helps acne specifically but if you're deficient it might be worth a shot anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i got a laser treatment about a month ago and it really helped with some of my acne. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with this: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/claro-ipl-a ... n=category

while's it's pretty pricey, it definitely beats the price of keeping up with laser treatments.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:17 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

no! but shiitake, i still haven't bought that zeno i said i would.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:33 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My skin is being aggravating. I've got all these little bumps on my forehead, not full blown acne, but annoying little bumps like milia. I have no idea how to get rid of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:45 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

fupapack wrote:

hm maybe i will get that instead since it's a lot more affordable! have you heard good things about the zeno?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Fee wrote:
My skin is being aggravating. I've got all these little bumps on my forehead, not full blown acne, but annoying little bumps like milia. I have no idea how to get rid of it.

could be an allergy or reaction to something you're using. Maybe try some salicylic acid product on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:06 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I haven't used anything new, the only difference is that I've been wearing less makeup recently because of no school/no job. My regular cleanser has salicylic acid, but I don't know if that's enough. I ran out of toner and haven't bought a new one, maybe my skin desperately needs toner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

hmm, maybe your skin is just adjusting less makeup? yeah maybe a toner and/or lotion with some acid in it would do the trick.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:22 pm 

luftpost wrote:
fupapack wrote:

hm maybe i will get that instead since it's a lot more affordable! have you heard good things about the zeno?

i have read mixed reviews.
i hear it is best for cystic acne, based on makeupalley.com and epinions.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Fee wrote:

I don't know if I had the same thing as you or not, but this toner seemed to help me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:19 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have really good luck with Yes to Carrots brand cleanser and lotion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

my skin is pretty hit or miss in terms of acne but its definitely present and it sucks hard. my face (and skin in general) is very sensitive and tends to be dry when i try to use creams or anything prescribed to me. for the past year or two i've been using proactiv and can see some results for a few days but after like a week of washing with it two times a day my skin gets unbearably peely and dry and rough, and then i have to stop because its just so dry that moving my face kind of hurts. can anyone recommend a good vegan acne scrub, moisturizer or treatment that WORKS? i'm not looking to fork around with this anymore. the worst areas are around my mouth/chin and my cheek bone/directly under my eyes, and parts of my forehead. my mission this year is to really start taking care of myself and that means more frequent showers and a serious attempt to get my acne under control.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Ah! I have been struggling with acne for years, like terrible, terrible acne and it was under control until I went off of HBC... But, I think I've finally got it settled. Here is what has been working for me: I use the Earth Science Fruit Oil Cream Cleanser with a clean washcloth at night to take off make up and wash my face, use Thayer's rose and witch hazel toner, then a vegan eye cream and benzol peroxide on my t-zone and california baby's calming cream on my neck (Because I am approaching 30 and want to be preeettttty in another 30 years!) In the AM I use the Earth Science apricot scrub in the shower, but rub it in with water and scrub SUPER gently!!! Then the same toner and eye cream and the earth science spf moisturizer. It's really, really been working...I'm all clear, no weird splotches, and minimal blackheads!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:02 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

TempestTeapot wrote:
Hi guys!

After battling acne for years, I finally had some extra dough to explore spa skin treatments to try and get this under control. At first, I was getting a peel done every six weeks or so until I found out the one I was using had lactic acid. Now my esthetician is recommending micro dermabrasion as an alternative.

Has anyone tried this? When she described it to me it sounded a little scary, but she says she's had really good results with the type of acne I have; once my skin clears up I can wean myself off of treatments and control it with diet/good skin care products and the occasional maintenance treatment.

Educate me PPK.

It is waste of money according to me. I don't think so. Acne can be control with this method. Just eat healthy food and fruits. It is best method for it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:27 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

This statement may get me shunned by the ppk, but I have to say, Accutane was absolutely the way to go for me. I first started getting acne before the age of ten. It was fairly moderate when I was a teenager, but once I got to college it kept getting worse. I tried proactiv, strong prescription bp and sulfur creams, natural remedies, the lot. Nothing worked for very long, and I bleached more clothes and pillow cases than I care to remember. After more than a decade of struggling, I took a generic form of Accutane for about 5 months, and I felt like I had an entirely different face! No more worrying about being seen without makeup, no more fearing what might pop up every morning, no more painful knots on my cheeks. My skin isn't perfect, I still have blackheads and I still get pimples here and there, but I rarely have more than one at a time. People are always surprised when tell them I used to have bad acne, which is incredible to me.

There are risks, but I think most of them are very rare and have been greatly exaggerated. I'm very prone to depression, but did not experience any increased emotional problems on the medication. The risk of severe birth defects is very real, but monthly pregnancy tests are required for females. On the whole I think the risks are much smaller than the risks of using strong antibiotics. Don't write of accutane immediately, there's a lot to be said for it in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:08 am 

accutane was pulled by the fda, i always held out hope that i would be able to use it if things didn't get better...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:26 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Actually, only the brand Accutane has been pulled. Generic versions are still available.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:58 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Oh jesus, really? I did a round of Accutane (name brand) back in... 2003? My skin problems were moderate but persistent and after trying seemingly everything my dermatologist finally prescribed it. And I have to say, it was awesome. I could have spread Crisco on my face and not broken out. BUT, that only lasted for about a year. I now break out a little (or a lot if I'm being unhealthy).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I also used Accutane as a teenager and I still have acne now (at 29). It's not as bad as it used to be, but I'm also a lot older, so I don't know if Accutane really helped or not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:21 am 
Huffs Nooch

I was on generic Accutane a few years ago, too, and it made a huge difference in my skin. My face was perfect for 1-2 years, my body acne never returned, and my hair takes longer to get greasy. Now I use benzoyl peroxide every night and sometimes around my period I can still get pimples, but it's all very minor. I was thinking the other night how I sometimes feel put out to have to take care of my skin religiously after being on Accutane, but then I realized that when I had bad acne, I would have gladly done whatever it took to have clear skin, so I should just appreciate my situation now.

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next