| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yeast infection woes.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

I started to get what I thought was a yeast infection in the last couple of days of my period. I was pretty sure it came from a contaminated Diva Cup (ordered a new one, needed the bigger size anyway) because I felt yeasty at the end of my last period as well. Last month, a clove of garlic overnight worked fine. This time, that didn't work, so I got a Monistat 1 day thing, which sort of helped, but not really. My friend gave me a Diflucan, and I felt better over the weekend and into Monday, but then yesterday I started feeling ick again and now I'm burning full force. I'm wondering if maybe this is bacterial vaginosis instead of a yeast infection? What I've always thought were yeast infections for me have never had that classic cottage cheese style discharge that I've heard about, but definitely lots of burning and itching. My vaginal fluid is definitely white and kind of sticky with this one, but I wouldn't even call it discharge, because I'm not...leaking it.

Could this be BV? I don't think I've ever had BV! Or at least, yeast infection cures have always fixed my problem before. I'm going tomorrow to get one of those OTC tester things that tell you whether it's a yeast infection or BV. Has anyone had experience with those? Are they accurate? There's also an OTC BV treatment that I saw when I went to get my Monistat before, and I'm hoping that works if that's what I've got. But if it's a yeast infection, why isn't it going away? Shouldn't the Diflucan take care of business pretty efficiently? I'm trying to avoid going to the doctor because I don't have insurance and am pretty broke right now. The health department here will only see you if you're in school, and then only for birth control anyway.

The only other thing I can think of that's causing this is that my birth control changed from one generic to another. The pharmacist assured me that all of the ingredients were the same, that just the name and packaging were different. And I don't think it's from T having an asymptomatic infection because we didn't have sex for quite a few days before my period started, so at least a week before my symptoms started.

Help, I need this to go away!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post subject: Re: Yeast infection woes.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:30 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've never used an OTC test (I'm not sure they have them here, and the meds for both YI and BV are by prescription so you have to go to the doctor anyway) but I have had both YI and BV and in my experience, the symptoms are different. When there's been itching and white discharge it's almost always been a YI. BV =/= itchy but does create an unpleasant fishy odor.

I know you say you can't go to the doctor, but if you're having a recurrent yeast infection that's not responding to treatment, it could be a symptom of other problems, so please do get it checked out if it doesn't go away.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:47 am 
WELFARIST!

Thanks. I knew about the odor with BV, and there is none with what I'm having. If it's not gone by Monday, I'll have to call and make an appt, I suppose.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i used to have some seriously stubborn reoccuring yeast infections. turns out condoms weren't helping the matter, and the only thing i could use that actually nipped them in the bud was that gentian violet extract. it was prescribed to me (and this was years ago), but i know they sell it on amazon. i would check to make sure it's okay for vaginal use if you order it online, but the idea is you "paint"/swab the inside walls of your vagina and most of the labia and such for a few days and this kills the yeast. warning: consider a pantaloon liner and wear old underwears, 'cause your shiitake will be purple for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had a yeast infection that wouldn't go away for weeks for a while (a few years ago), it was horrible. Every time I thought I'd gotten rid of it, it came back.
I ended up getting rid of it with very consistent use of the garlic method. Changing it once a day (new clove in the morning, new clove at night), and using for a whole week until two days after my symptoms had disappeared. I found that if I only used garlic for a day or two, then it came back.

Gentian violet could be worth trying too, although I never tried that. But definitely with garlic, it pays to do it for a few days, not just overnight. Good luck getting some relief, it's just so horrible having a yeast infection!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:12 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

violet is sold in old-timey pharmacies and often normal ones too, it's super cheap, so just call around and see if your local one carries it. it's commonly used for thrush infections in breastfeeding infants (and is pretty effective).
i will say though that it can be burney on tongues, so you might want to test it out a bit first. although if you're already burning, what the hell (so to speak). and seriously, that shiitake does not come out for love nor money, get out your all-black or purple clothes, sheets, towels, and everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This probably sounds crazy, but I had a recurrent yeast infection that was localized around my clit so the suppository things weren't so helpful and diflucan didn't touch it. I wound up using athletes foot cream on it every day for a while and that was the thing that kicked it. Next time I'll try gentian violet, although that wasn't helpful when my daughter and I had thrush (diflucan worked then, but I had to take it for two weeks).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've only had one yeast infection and I never had the white chunks people talk about. I just had blindingly awful burning and itching. In fact, I scratched to the point of making myself bleed. I had to go to the dr. to get it diagnosed and then she gave me one of those 3-day suppositories.

The other thing you can do for some relief is to swab with an apple cider vinegar solution or take a vinegar bath (1 cup vinegar in a full tub of water). BV and yeasties don't like acidic environments and I've done that when I have had some serious itching around the labia. I've also heard you can use a tea tree oil solution for relief but I've never tried it myself. I only use TTO on my ear piercings.

ETA: if you're prone to chronic infections, I've read people use a vinegar wash frequently to ward off problems. Might be worth looking into a bit!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Since you don't have insurance, is Planned Parenthood in your area, or have they left WV? I think you need to get this checked out professionally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:26 am 
WELFARIST!

There's a planned parenthood about an hour from me, but I went ahead and called my regular gyno and made an appointment yesterday and she's able to see me this afternoon. Of course, it feels a little better today. But I don't want to mess around with it any longer.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:48 am 
WRETCHED

Good luck!

I'm so amazed at the garlic stories, I wasn't sure if that was something people really did. It'd seem like it'd sting.

Which reminds me of a story that I feel I need to share somewhere as a cautionary tale. I thought I had my first yeast infection a few weeks ago as I was experiencing some unusual pain which went away within a day or 2. Then I realized (and this is the cautionary part) that I had inserted my diva cup after chopping some jalapeños. I had washed my hands really well but yet, I guess not well enough. So yeah there is that. Luckily, the pain wasn't that intense but just uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

Turned out to be BV. Apparently my manifestation of it does not produce a nasty smell. And that explains why none of the yeastie treatments were working. Good to finally know and get some medicine.

Bonus: My doctor gave me the meds for free and didn't charge for my visit. WUT.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:43 pm 
WRETCHED

Yay! Is BV something that can be prevented by drinking cranberry juice? I mean I know I read that cranberry juice can change the pH of your vaginal region to inhibit growth but I'm not sure if that means growth of bacteria as well.

I had try taking the cranberry emergen-c and it made me sick to my stomach, cranberry juice is supposed to be good overall but I don't do it myself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

I super hate drinking juice and this is the first time this has happened, so hopefully it's just a fluke!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

allularpunk wrote:
Turned out to be BV. Apparently my manifestation of it does not produce a nasty smell. And that explains why none of the yeastie treatments were working. Good to finally know and get some medicine.

Bonus: My doctor gave me the meds for free and didn't charge for my visit. WUT.

That is really good that you went to the doc, then!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:36 am 
WELFARIST!

Seriously. She asked me if I have a sensitive stomach (yes) and if I drink (yes) and then gave me a vaginal cream injection thing instead of pills (she said the pills can cause stomach issues and you can't drink for 10 days). And she said that the OTC BV stuff I told her about just treated symptoms and didn't actually cure it, so I'm glad I skipped buying that as well. Yay for awesome doctors!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That is actually hilarious that your treatment was planned around your drinking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ariann wrote:
That is actually hilarious that your treatment was planned around your drinking.

To be fair, it was her idea! She asked if I drink, and when I said yes, she automatically gave me the other medicine instead. Guess I can't be trusted to not drink for 10 days. (But seriously, she was probably right.)

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

allularpunk wrote:
Ariann wrote:

To be fair, it was her idea! She asked if I drink, and when I said yes, she automatically gave me the other medicine instead. Guess I can't be trusted to not drink for 10 days. (But seriously, she was probably right.)

I've done the no drinking route pill! At first I was like, doh!, why'd I say that? But then it was a good excuse to take a break. Hope yours clears up quick and now you know for the future?

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

fetalexplosion wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Ariann wrote:

I've done the no drinking route pill! At first I was like, doh!, why'd I say that? But then it was a good excuse to take a break. Hope yours clears up quick and now you know for the future?

She said to call her in a few days if I don't get better and then I get to do those pills. Fingers crossed that the cream works. The main issue for me now is that these symptoms were identical to my yeast infection symptoms, so now I feel like I'll never know which one I really have. Maybe this burned a little more than itched...but I didn't have discharge (nor do I with a YI) and it didn't smell, which is supposed to be the identifying factor. Vaginas are annoying sometimes.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

allularpunk wrote:
Vaginas are annoying sometimes.

Girl, sing it. I feel like both are a pH issue so maybe apple cider vinegar and probiotics inside and out are always a good route to take?

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

allularpunk wrote:

She said to call her in a few days if I don't get better and then I get to do those pills. Fingers crossed that the cream works. The main issue for me now is that these symptoms were identical to my yeast infection symptoms, so now I feel like I'll never know which one I really have. Maybe this burned a little more than itched...but I didn't have discharge (nor do I with a YI) and it didn't smell, which is supposed to be the identifying factor. Vaginas are annoying sometimes.

I do think those rule-out-BV pee sticks are not a bad idea to keep on hand.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

Well, it still won't forking go away, so I had them call in an antibiotic. BLEGH. Lucky for me (not), this one causes extreme nausea and diarrhea! Mehhhh. She told me yogurt would help, so I stocked up on those Silk blended ones, even though they're way too sweet. Also gonna take the AZO yeast stuff the whole time so I don't end up with a yeast infection after treating BV.

I hate my vagina this month.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

A regular over-the-counter probiotic pill would probably work just as well or better than yogurt.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ariann wrote:
A regular over-the-counter probiotic pill would probably work just as well or better than yogurt.

I didn't know if any of the ones at Kroger were vegan...plus I already bought all the yogurt. Fingers crossed.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.