| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Yeast infection woes.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:58 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Is there any chance that your new birth control has a lower estrogen content than your previous one?

Healthy vaginas should be dominated by Lactobacillus species, which prefer a higher estrogen environment. If your BC has less estrogen than previously, this can create a less favorable environment for them to grow. They produce less acid and the vaginal pH goes up, allowing bad bacteria like Garnderella vaginalis (aka BV) to thrive.

Anyway, science.

I just listened to this vag bacteria expert give a two hour talk about this, and thought I'd share.

So, that might be the source of your issues; not sure how to fix it unless you can go back to your old BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have been assured that the new BC contains the exact same ingredients, but just has a different name. My doctor didn't seem at all concerned about it. I guess that if it comes back after these antibiotics are finished, then I'll talk to her about it again.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:08 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Do you know what the OTC stuff was that she said only treated the symptoms, AP?

My BV was really persistent and I couldn't get rid of it despite a number of rounds of antibiotics. I expressed my concern with my doctor that if I kept taking antibiotics and it kept not going away that we were just creating more and more resistent gardnerella bacteria. He then suggested to me an OTC medicine that's available here; he basically said "There's this stuff that seems to work but there hasn't been enough testing on it to prove that it does, but anecdotally, I hear it can really help." He'd even heard it from a gynecologist that this stuff seemed to work for the most persistent cases.

I can't remember what it's called, but I do remember the active ingredient was citric acid. It was basically a citric acid suppository, which had to be ordered by the pharmacy, but I didn't need a prescription for it. I had to take it one week out of every month (the week after my period) for six months. I have not had BV since then. It seems what was going on was that the antibiotics would reduce the number of bacteria, but my vaginal environment was too hospitable to the ones not killed off. This stuff helped me to restore the right flora to make it inhospitable for the bacteria.

If that's the same stuff that's available OTC there, you might want to talk to her about trying it anyway (assuming the antibiotics don't work, which I'm hoping they will).

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:55 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think she said it was monistat, but I feel like what I saw wasn't that brand. She did say that whatever is available here is just, like, menthol or something to soothe the burning.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.