| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

have you successfully used FAM
yes, as contraception 35%  35%  [ 28 ]
no as contraception (we were abstaining during fertile phase) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
no as contraception (we were using condoms during fertile phase) 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
no as contraception (we were taking risks during fertile phase) 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
no as a pregnancy aiding method 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
yes as a pregnancy aiding method 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
other 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 80
 Post subject: Re: the Fertility Awareness Method thread - birth control +
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

that's true. i've recently (for the past 6 months or so) started spotting for a few days prior to my dip. (actually this cycle was completely confusing, but i did have some medical issues and 2 new piercings, so the weirdnesses do have some explanations, and i eventually figured out the pattern. there were 2 dates where it appeared that i had ovulated, but then once my temp stayed up, it was more obvious that it was the 2nd date, and not the first date which was only 5 days after funtimes.) but i had a few very out of the ordinary spotting sessions. here's hoping this cycle goes more smoothly.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

my temp is still high-ish (mid 98s). but i have none of those preggers symptoms anymore! is it possible that my bedroom is just hotter since the temperature outside has risen, and so i'm just hot when i take my temp? if it doesn't go down after this weekend, i'm gonna take a test, but i really don't think i'm pregnant.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:26 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I just bought a new basal thermometer to start charting for the first time because my regular thermometer always seemed to be too low a temperature to be correct-last time I tried it I was 96 degrees, but even my basal is saying I'm 97.5 (I just tested it now to try it out). I haven't had anything to eat or drink recently, do I just have a slightly lower temperature than normal, or am I really that bad at taking my temperature?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

chiveggie wrote:
I just bought a new basal thermometer to start charting for the first time because my regular thermometer always seemed to be too low a temperature to be correct-last time I tried it I was 96 degrees, but even my basal is saying I'm 97.5 (I just tested it now to try it out). I haven't had anything to eat or drink recently, do I just have a slightly lower temperature than normal, or am I really that bad at taking my temperature?

That sounds normal to me. I just looked it up in TCOYF, the bible of this method, and it says that before you ovulate (first part of cycle) the temp is usually 97 to 97.5. After ovulation, the range is 97.6-98.6. I often have temps of 96.9.

If you don't have the book, I recommend it. I'm always referring to for one reason or another.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:54 pm 

yeah, some people on the livejournal community were saying that their temps are consistently in the 96's during the first half of their cycle. no need to worry. :-)

my base temp is usually around 97.4

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:40 pm 

thanks! I did get a copy of TCOYF from the library, guess I could have looked there for answers. It is sad that I rush to the internet for answers so quickly.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:45 pm 

mouth needs to remain closed for 5 full minutes after (preferably) 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

My temp has been at 98 or 97.9 for the last 5 days. It never went back down, but this morning I had eggwhite cervical fluid. Weird cycle so far..

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm currently trying to chart my basal temps in preparation to try to conceive in August or September. I am wondering if my really irregular sleep patterns aren't screwing with temps. I rarely sleep in 3 hour intervals (I'm ready for a baby already, right? :P). I generally sleep for 8-9 hrs and wake up twice a night to pee. My temps are all over the place. I take it somewhere between 5:30 am and 8:30 am every morning when I first wake up. In the 5:30 case, it's because my husband's alarm goes off at 7 and it wakes me up at least half of the time, so I know I won't get a long interval of sleep after that point. How much is this poor sleep nonsense going to screw with my charting?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:02 pm 

ohhhh! no, make sure the temperature is taken at the same time every day.

i would just naturally choose the 7:00 time to coincide with your husband's alarm. tell him to give you a nudge if he doesn't see you grabbing for the thermometer. (or just have the alarm on your side, and you can turn it off, and nudge him if he doesn't wake)

having gotten up at 5:30 to pee won't mess up the temp toooo much. i often get up and pee in the night, and i have a relatively easy to read chart. just write the inconsistencies on the chart and it'll help you interpret better if it looks off.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
ohhhh! no, make sure the temperature is taken at the same time every day.

i would just naturally choose the 7:00 time to coincide with your husband's alarm. tell him to give you a nudge if he doesn't see you grabbing for the thermometer. (or just have the alarm on your side, and you can turn it off, and nudge him if he doesn't wake)

having gotten up at 5:30 to pee won't mess up the temp toooo much. i often get up and pee in the night, and i have a relatively easy to read chart. just write the inconsistencies on the chart and it'll help you interpret better if it looks off.

My concern is that I sleep so bad that if he wakes me up, I won't get back to sleep and I'll be unable to function during the day. I am that bad of a sleeper. There have been a few times where I've unconsciously taken it when his alarm goes off with no memory of doing it. My chart just looks really jumpy... though by counting days, I should have ovulated on Tuesday or Wednesday this week, and my temp jumped up Thursday and is up even higher this morning so it may be functional though spastic.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:01 pm 

hmmm. :-( that sucks. you should definitely record the times and adjust the temperature to lie in the correct time. (if i end up taking it at the wrong time, i'll draw a circle with dots at the temp indicated on the screen and then adjust the solid circle down to my normal time, so i'll have 2 circles on the chart, but only pay much attention to one.)

TCOYF wrote:
In general, waking temperatures tend to creep up about two-tenths of a degree for every extra hour you sleep in.

http://www.tcoyf.com/content/FertFAQ-3signs.aspx

definitely rely more on your other symptoms. (cervical fluid, cervical softness and height and opening of the os. try to pay attention to your guts and record every weird twinge of pain.)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
hmmm. :-( that sucks. you should definitely record the times and adjust the temperature to lie in the correct time. (if i end up taking it at the wrong time, i'll draw a circle with dots at the temp indicated on the screen and then adjust the solid circle down to my normal time, so i'll have 2 circles on the chart, but only pay much attention to one.)

TCOYF wrote:
In general, waking temperatures tend to creep up about two-tenths of a degree for every extra hour you sleep in.

http://www.tcoyf.com/content/FertFAQ-3signs.aspx

definitely rely more on your other symptoms. (cervical fluid, cervical softness and height and opening of the os. try to pay attention to your guts and record every weird twinge of pain.)

I think this method wasn't designed for people who have sleep issues!

Though this is what I've got so far this month (with the two missing days being ones in which I forgot my temp, and was up half the night due to a sick cat). The temp spike at the end these past two days makes sense in terms of days and cervical fluid. I also had minor cramping tuesday/wednesday. Before that though it's just all over the place. I'm not horribly concerned with precision. We are using condoms regardless of what the chart says! I was more curious to see if I would start ovulating again off birth control, and approximately when.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Rabidchild, are you trying to use FAM for birth control right now? If you're not, I'd be tempted to completely stop charting and just learn what your cervical mucus looks like in preparation for trying to conceive later.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

helbury wrote:
Rabidchild, are you trying to use FAM for birth control right now? If you're not, I'd be tempted to completely stop charting and just learn what your cervical mucus looks like in preparation for trying to conceive later.

Nope! Using condoms for birth control. I'm also trying to figure out the cervical mucus thing... trying to work with multiple pieces of the puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:48 pm 

it looks like it is kinda readable. i'd draw the coverline at 97.8 and calculate the peak day as wednesday.
(is this the adjusted temps or the actual temps? cause fertility friend adjusts for you if you put the times in.)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:09 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
it looks like it is kinda readable. i'd draw the coverline at 97.8 and calculate the peak day as wednesday.
(is this the adjusted temps or the actual temps? cause fertility friend adjusts for you if you put the times in.)

I inconsistently put the times in. I'm a bad note taker. Today was 97.9 again and it put the crosshairs on Wednesday this morning. The first half just seems so spastic to me, but I guess I can see the difference now that my temp is staying up. It *seems* I am ovulating.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:02 am 

yeah, it's fascinating how jumpy it can be, but if you take a step back, you'll see the overall pattern.

it actually looks worse than it actually is on fertility friend because they draw the Y axis just a little taller than the X axis is wide.

i'm happy that you're ovulating! :-) keep up the good work, rabidovaries!
(now we need to root for your progesterone levels and a good long luteal phase) <3

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:27 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
yeah, it's fascinating how jumpy it can be, but if you take a step back, you'll see the overall pattern.

it actually looks worse than it actually is on fertility friend because they draw the Y axis just a little taller than the X axis is wide.

i'm happy that you're ovulating! :-) keep up the good work, rabidovaries!
(now we need to root for your progesterone levels and a good long luteal phase) <3

Haha. Do they make a greeting card for that? "Congratulations on ovulating!" If the pattern of last month (aka "month one without birth control") continues, I should start spotting late Tuesday next week into full blown period on Wednesday, which would give me a 13-14 day luteal phase depending on what you're counting as day 1. Progesterone is anyone's guess! It's one step closer to rabidbaby anyway!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:51 am 
WELFARIST!

rabidchild - i'm a horrible sleeper, too, and at first waking up to take my temperature made me wake up completely, but after a little over a month of charting, i just wake up (i've set my temp taking alarm at about an hour before i regularly get up because i noticed that i was waking up a lot in that last hour anyway, and my temps were getting wonky), pop the thermometer in my mouth, and 9 times out of 10, i doze for the 9 minutes that it takes my snooze button to run. then i just take it out, set it aside, and fall back asleep if i'm still tired. i never in a million years thought i would doze with a forking thermometer in my mouth, because i am a crazy light sleeper, but i think you just get used to the routine after awhile.

also, update on me, i definitely ovulated again this cycle! but i'm not sure exactly which day because i went out of town the day after my eggwhite cervical fluid and woke up at least an hour earlier than normal for 3 days straight. when i got back and went back to my regular temp-taking time, they were way up from the beginning of the month. i dunno if my body waited to ovulate until i got home (i was gone 3 days), or if i ovulated the day i left, but the temp just looks low because it was taken 2 hours before i normally take it. (meaning, i don't know when to start counting for my luteal phase.)

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:28 am 

do you remember which day you had the most stretchy abundant CF? i'd choose that day.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:27 am 
WELFARIST!

that's what i figured. i just remember the book saying that travel can delay ovulation.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:07 am 

usually when ovulation is delayed due to stress/travel, it'll be a week or more after the first incidence of abundant CF. (at least in my experience)

are you saying that because travel can delay it, that it's most likely to have happened the first morning or the night before? that makes sense. especially since it was lower. (did you adjust for the early waking? i'm guessing the .1 degree per half hour works the other way too.) if you adjust it and the dip is still there, then you'll know.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:04 pm 

so I started charting in the middle of my cycle (because that's when my copy of TCOYF came off reserve at the library, and when I bought my basal thermometer). My temps are not following a complete pattern, but I figured I'd give it a go and hopefully next month, I'll be more familiar with CF and will be better about temping at the same time each day, so it'll be a bit more accurate. Anyways, since I started charting in the middle, I didn't notice a great temperature shift, but I think I can guess my O date. Can I double check this by counting backwards from when I get my period to see if my prediction is right? Also the book talks about various things affecting temperature (exercise, alcohol, traveling etc) but doesn't explain further. Should this stuff make my temp go up or down? I also feel like a huge dork for looking forward to my period this month. First to see if it arrives when I'm predicting from my chart, and second to use my diva cup for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:47 am 

most peoples' luteal phases are between 12 and 15 days, so you can more or less estimate your ovulation date. (but because this is your first chart, you wouldn't know your own personal typical luteal phase length. :-) 14 days is typical though.

as for the exercise, travel etc. it is mostly a personal observation thing. sometimes travel will make it higher (especially if travelling to a place where you would wake up later than usual) and vice versa. exercise would usually raise it (unless you're running in the winter outside) and alcohol generally raises it, but some people are anomalies. also, another point about the exercise, your mouth would most likely be open, so all the heat would escape, so maybe it would reduce it. i never experimented.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next