| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

have you successfully used FAM
yes, as contraception 35%  35%  [ 28 ]
no as contraception (we were abstaining during fertile phase) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
no as contraception (we were using condoms during fertile phase) 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
no as contraception (we were taking risks during fertile phase) 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
no as a pregnancy aiding method 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
yes as a pregnancy aiding method 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
other 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 80
 Post subject: Re: the Fertility Awareness Method thread - birth control +
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Luteal phase day 10 and I'm spotting. Also having some little crampy pains in my lower abdomen and back. I hate how much pregnancy symptoms are like pms symptoms!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

do you mean cycle day? (cycle day runs the whole cycle starting at the first day of your period, and luteal phase day starts at ovulation.) are you saying you ovulated on the 20th(ish)? did your period start on the 14th? i suppose ovulating on day 6 of your cycle isn't completely unheard of, but it's definitely uncommon. i would think ovulating so early wouldn't allow an egg to implant very well since it had so recently been sloughed off. i don't know any techniques to extend the ovulation date other than stress. :-/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

no, i meant luteal day. i'm pretty sure i ovulated on day 17, after adjusting for those earlier times while i was traveling. it's been 10 days since then.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:38 pm 

ok, let's start from the beginning.

you had 1 day of super heavy bleeding on may 7th and then a few days of light spotting. your temperature stayed high? (it never went back down below the coverline from that previous month?) 17 days after may 7th you had a ton of eggwhite and then your temperature raised again after that?

did you ever take that pregnancy test? this might be a triphasic chart.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:40 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

the temp only went below the coverline from last month sporadically. my temps were all over the place after the heavy bleeding. but it did drop lower than it had been, and then raised again on the 17th day of this cycle (assuming it is a new cycle?). i never took a test, because i just thought the middle range temperatures were a sign of leftover hormones or something. i'm confusing myself, so i'm just going to list my temperatures and my apologies if it's long and tedious, but... i guess my chart is long and tedious.

so. my coverline for last month was 97.9. my peak day was day 15 of that cycle. here's how it's gone since:
98.8, 99.1, 98.6, 98.7, 98.6, 98.4, 98.6, 98.8, 98.6, 98.8, 98.9, 98.3, 98.9, 98.1 (day 29, when i had the heavy bleeding)

taking day 29 and making it day 1 of a new cycle, these have been my temps (will note time changes [i was taking my temp at 9am before] and cervical fluid).
98.1, missed day 2, 97.9, 98.2, 98.2, 98.1, 98.4, 97.9, 98.1, 97.8, 98, 97.9, 98, 98 (eggwhite), 97.8 (eggwhite, temp taken at 7am), 97.7 (7:30am), 98.2 (7:45am), 98 (7am), 98.3 (8am, and all the rest have been taken at 8am also), 98.5, 98.7, 98.6, missed a day, 98.6, 98.8, 98.7, 98.7

any thoughts? sorry i'm so confused all the time.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:36 pm 

iiiiiiiii THINK you should take a test. *fingers crossed!!!!!* <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

really? even with those lower ones? hm! well, hell, ok!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 pm 

the lowest temp that you provided was only .2 degrees below your coverline, and you only had 3 days total below the line, and 2 of those can be explained with having been taken earlier than your usual time. (are those the real readings or are they adjusted, cause if they've not been adjusted, you only really went below your coverline once.)

oh, and just so you know, you can get cheapo pregnancy tests here. (not to mention way more environmentally friendly) http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/ that is, if you still need them after you take this one. (!!!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It was negative. Thanks for the heads up on the cheap tests for next time though! Here is the good news: since I've been taking the b6 and folic acid, my luteal phase is up to 14 days as of today.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:40 pm 

aww shoot. fascinating cycle. definitely not a run-of-the-mill cycle (i guess either your egg was fertilized, or summer really has an effect on you.) yay about your LP having reached 14 days! keep going! keep going!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Boo! Got my period unexpectedly today. This is day 26, second month off BC. Still gives me a 12 day luteal phase, but I hope a few more months off BC helps it get a little longer. Last month was 28 days exactly. I wish I could just try and get pregnant now and not have to worry about my ability to get pregnant anymore... though in the long run that's not such a good idea!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

question about ovulation spotting. And probably TMI (if such a thing exists on these boards).

I've read that spotting a few days before ovulation is normal, but does anyone (FAM guru supercarrot?) know if excessive spotting is something to be concerned about? Like a couple of pantyliners a day worth of clumpy, bloody, grossness for 3-4 days. Everything I read about talks about "spotting" but I don't think the word "spotting" would be the descriptor I would use for this disgusting goop. But maybe that is the polite term people use instead of my reaction of "what the fork is in my underwear". This is only my 3rd cycle sans nuvaring and still preventing this cycle so my body might still be adjusting. On the bright side, both my cycles of charting are following the same pattern and that seems to point to ovulation happening. Seems that babymaking could be a bit messy if this gunk coincides with fertile days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

rabidchild wrote:
I wish I could just try and get pregnant now and not have to worry about my ability to get pregnant anymore..

My friends have often commented that as girls/women we live our lives hoping and praying that we are not pregnant and then one day switch to hoping and praying that we are

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:16 am 

@chiveggie wow. yeah, spotting isn't usually clumpy. i hope this is just a symptom of withdrawing from your artificial hormones. i'm guessing you weren't spotting this much/at all when you were on the nuvaring? is it really dark, or is it watery light pink but clumpy? does it fill the entire panytliner or does it stay in one place usually?

blood clots are actually a side effect of the nuvaring http://www.drugs.com/cdi/nuvaring-ring.html
i'd give a call to the nurses at your GYN and just mention it. they might want you to come in to rule out any dangerous things. (blood clots are no laughing matter.) of course coming from your uterus it's kind of normal, but still. not during that part of the cycle.

the (usually light watery) spotting is from the egg bursting through the ovary wall, so it shouldn't be releasing that much blood, unless you possibly have a platelet issue.

it's possible that your uterus is still sensitive to the external hormones and is just shedding at times of change to your natural hormones. were you on the nuvaring for a while? does the spotting occur during the first few days of your temperature rise?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

chiveggie wrote:
rabidchild wrote:
I wish I could just try and get pregnant now and not have to worry about my ability to get pregnant anymore..

My friends have often commented that as girls/women we live our lives hoping and praying that we are not pregnant and then one day switch to hoping and praying that we are

Very true!

I seem to have ovulated on Day 15 again. At least that's consistent. Now here's hoping I get to day 28 (instead of day 25 like last month) before getting my period. Then I think we'd be in good shape!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Each month around cycle day 7 (generally a day or two after my period has ended), I have cramps. Sometimes a tiny bit of spotting, but not always. It's similar to ovulation cramping, but I ovulate pretty consistently around day 14-15, so... what is going on? Today's day 7 and it's pretty uncomfortably crampy down there!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

vegetalion- i totally get that, too! i only started getting it a couple years into the five years i had a paragard iud. when i had the iud, my period took on a pattern of bleeding for 2-3 days, then stopping completely, then spotting and cramping around days 5-7. since i got the iud out almost a year ago, i still sometimes have a little cramping on those days, but don't really have any spotting anymore. i had read that a pattern like that can be indicative of having fibroids, so i have asked a couple midwives about it, and neither of them were concerned at all. they said, sure, maybe you have a small fibroid or maybe you don't, but in the absence of any other bothersome symptoms, we wouldn't do anything about it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mooo wrote:
vegetalion- i totally get that, too! i only started getting it a couple years into the five years i had a paragard iud. when i had the iud, my period took on a pattern of bleeding for 2-3 days, then stopping completely, then spotting and cramping around days 5-7. since i got the iud out almost a year ago, i still sometimes have a little cramping on those days, but don't really have any spotting anymore. i had read that a pattern like that can be indicative of having fibroids, so i have asked a couple midwives about it, and neither of them were concerned at all. they said, sure, maybe you have a small fibroid or maybe you don't, but in the absence of any other bothersome symptoms, we wouldn't do anything about it anyway.

I have a Paragard too! I didn't connect the two before! Maybe it's something like our uteri have spent this whole period pushing out unwanted stuff, and it's trying to finish off the Paragard. (I have a very non-scientific understanding of how my uterus "thinks.")

I was a little worried about fibroids, as googling it leads to sites saying "SEE YOUR DOCTOR" in the most dire way, but I have no other symptoms of anything like that. So like the midwives say, I won't worry about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm so confused :\ Last two months I've presumably ovulated on day 14/15. This month on day 16 and 17 my temp was up .4 degrees, day 18 it was up another .4 degrees, day 19 was extenuating circumstances and I didn't take my temp. Day 20 I was sick and running a fever and my temp was 100.7 in the morning and so it doesn't count. Day 21 was 97.6, Day 22 was 98.6. Day 21 and 22 were take 1 hr and 1.5 hrs late respectively (before then I was doing REALLY WELL at 7 am). So at Day 18, Fertility Friend said I ovulated at day 15 NOW that those other temps were entered it says Day 17. How do I know which one is right?! Should it really be making changes when I was obviously not well mid-cycle?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Do you know what method fertility friend is using to determine ovulation? I think the default setting is by their rules (whatever their formula is) but you can override it and chose TCOYF rules instead. This worked for me once when they suddenly changed my ovulation day because my cervical fluid didn't match my temps. You can always change the settings to see if you would get a different cover line.

When you are using temp to determine ovulation, it's always after the fact which can be frustrating. Knowing the general range of cycle days along with CF helped keep me sane when trying to figure it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:06 pm 

yeah, when you're sick mid-cycle, the best way to make sure is to examine cervical position/firmness. temp will obviously throw you off, and cervical fluid to a small extent will be messed up. especially if you're taking medicine to dry you up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
yeah, when you're sick mid-cycle, the best way to make sure is to examine cervical position/firmness. temp will obviously throw you off, and cervical fluid to a small extent will be messed up. especially if you're taking medicine to dry you up.

Though I wasn't expecting to be sick a few days after I ovulated.. so I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. I was just really proud of myself for taking my temp at the same time each day!! I guess we'll see what next month brings. Is .4 not enough of a rise in temp? I read it should be .4 to 1 degree higher after ovulation. They were my highest temps since day 1 of my period this month, and continued to rise... until the fever (which, btw, is really funny on the chart)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:21 pm 

oh, no. .4 is fine. you're good. (it's really tough for me to visualize a chart from text. sorry. i get overwhelmed with all the information. i'm definitely right-brained.) 3 days of temps consistently above the previous 6 is confirmation of ovulation. i would keep it at day 14 or 15. (did either of those days have a slight dip? if so, that's the day i would use.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
oh, no. .4 is fine. you're good. (it's really tough for me to visualize a chart from text. sorry. i get overwhelmed with all the information. i'm definitely right-brained.) 3 days of temps consistently above the previous 6 is confirmation of ovulation. i would keep it at day 14 or 15. (did either of those days have a slight dip? if so, that's the day i would use.)

14 and 15 were both dips. This is absurd... but here's the visual... with FF thinking day 17.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:06 pm 

thank you! the visual helps 1000x <3

day 15 was the bottom of the dip, so that's the most likely day. (and you're sure you were feeling okay on day 18?)

this is just unfortunate timing, so you really aren't going to be sure until aunt flo comes. (since the "3 days above the coverline" was obscured by the sickness.) but if it stays up, you'll at least know you're somewhere in the luteal phase, but a pinpoint isn't going to be accurate.

::edit:: was there an outside force making day 13 higher than usual? if so, then you'll have your 3 confirmed non-sick raised temps.

Last edited by supercarrot on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next