| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

have you successfully used FAM
yes, as contraception 35%  35%  [ 28 ]
no as contraception (we were abstaining during fertile phase) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
no as contraception (we were using condoms during fertile phase) 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
no as contraception (we were taking risks during fertile phase) 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
no as a pregnancy aiding method 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
yes as a pregnancy aiding method 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
other 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 80
 Post subject: Re: the Fertility Awareness Method thread - birth control +
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

supercarrot wrote:
alwayshungry, did your doc know that you'd take your temps sometimes in the evening? i remember reading that ambient temperature has a bit of an effect, and since nights are generally colder... yadda yadda. also, i've done experiments where i take my temp at 7:30 like usual, and then i'll go back to sleep, and take it when i naturally wake up, and it'll be higher like TCOYF says.

...but if you naturally wake-up less than 4 hours after your 0730 wake-up (when you temp as usual), is that a true waking temp? Cuz you woke-up at 0730 already, ya know?

When my RE discussed temp charting with me, I told him specifically: I'm a nurse, I work a rotation of 12h days/nights, and that my wake times vary between 0500 (when I'm on day shift), 0700 (when I'm on a day off) and around 1500 (when I'm on night shift), sometimes as late as 1800. He told me it's fine; if I have slept at least 4 straight hours, then I'll have an accurate waking temp regardless of the time of day. I have a few nurse friends who also see fertility docs, and they've been told the same thing.

I'm on CD 31 now, and my temps have followed an appropriate trend this cycle despite working a mix of days and nights since CD 18. Today I woke and temp'd at 0700h, 0.5 degree F fall from the previous 12-day trend, and it's right on time: CD31, my boobs hurt like a sonofabi1ch, all I want is chocolate and potato-chips, so I'll likely get my period tomorrow. So from what my chart is telling me: my waking temps are accurate and reflect an ovulatory cycle.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

fascinating! i don't get out of bed at 7:30, i just wake up enough to temp and go back to sleep. (and i would never do the experiment on a day that i'd gotten up and gone back to bed. reduce as many variables.) i'm such a light sleeper (i even need to wake to shift my sleeping position) that if we were calling a full 4 hours of REM prior to temping the only real 4 hours, then easily half of my temps would be invalidated.

on days that my alarm malfunctions and i wake up at 9:00, i usually clearly see higher temperatures where they wouldn't have been had i awoke at 7:30

but i'm glad you're able to get a pattern. that's good to know.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Aaaand my temp drop was an outlier... back in the high trend this morning.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Nope, turns out I was right and the high temp was the outlier... got my period the day after my temp dropped.

This is kinda cool, actually. I wish I had known about this years ago; I would have saved lotsa money on condoms and lotsa grief over hormonal birth control.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've started charting. I have no idea where I am in the cycle now, since I had my hormonal IUD removed a couple of weeks ago. I'm calling this chart X and will start recording cycle length after I have a real period.

Temping is not as bad as I thought it would be. I've given up on sleeping in on the weekends anyway, since I'm trying to wake my kid the same time every day. I have no idea if my temp and cf are still affected by the IUD though - I guess I will know in a few months.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My library (ofcourse) doesn't have the book, so I'm buying it soon. For now I'll be doing it to get in touch with my cycle / body. Later hopefully as contraception (don't have a partner right now).

I'm just wondering... has anyone that doesn't want to conceive, had fertility testing? A couple of women in my family, including my mother, have fertility issues. So I'm just wondering if I'm even fertile I guess? If I'm not, I'd have to worry even less about getting pregnant...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:47 am 

i haven't, but i have a shorter than normal luteal phase that i've figured out by charting. (and a short lightish period) so although i can feel myself ovulating, that if it had accidentally gotten fertilized, it might not survive in my lining.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Bringing this thread back up to the top!

I am thinking of starting the Justisse method (http://www.justisse.ca) which I believe is very similar to FAM. But I'm totally new to all of this. I found out about Justisse when I was researching other forms of birth control. I've been on the pill for about a year and it has been pretty awful. I've tried two different kinds and I was taking Tricyclen Lo. It took a long time for my "period" to arrive during the week of inactive pills and I would often have a week of spotting before. Also, the pill would make me nauseous...I would take it around 11pm, and it would make me feel a bit nauseous until I would go to sleep, and even when I woke up sometimes! My only week of not having nauseous feelings was during the week of inactive pills when I would feel a lot better. Yesterday it seemed like the final straw - I started a new pack of pills and took the first one, and woke up the next day feeling incredibly nauseous, felt horrible driving in to work...and just thought that I can't handle this anymore!

I talked about it with my boyfriend (longterm, we live together) and I'm not sure if he is totally sold on Justisse/natural birth control, but he doesn't want me to feel like crepe anymore. I've never really liked the idea of putting hormones into my body anyway, especially when I live a very natural lifestyle (try to buy organic food as much as possible, all natural cleaning products, body care products etc.).

So, last night I decided...I'm not taking the pill any longer! So I didn't take it! I've done a bit of reading online and there is a Justisse package that I can purchase online from a local business in Toronto (http://redtentsisters.com/green-your-birth-control/) which comes with audio instructions like a course, the basal thermometer, and some charts.

I am sure I will have more questions but my first question (looking at supercarrot who after reading this thread def is an authority on this topic!) - how long should I wait after stopping taking the pill to start charting, and how long will it take for the hormones to get out of my system so I can chart it properly? Should I just start charting right away anyway or is it not worth it until the hormones are all gone?

Is there any other advice you can offer me right now? I can't wait to start this - you have no idea how happy I was when I made the decision to stop taking the pill (yesterday!) and that there were other safe options out there! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:56 am 
WRETCHED

Good luck! I've been taking birth control for ages and some of them suck and I'm sure some people don't respond well in general. I thought about getting off of birth control a few years ago but we would've gone with a vasectomy. I'm going for menopause at this point though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:19 am 

start charting immediately, get used to the routine (you'll definitely make mistakes in the beginning) wait a minimum of 3 months before you rely on the charts alone. (i.e. use condoms for at least those first 3 months. not only because you need to get used to charting, but also because your body needs to adjust to being hormone free, so those first few months of charts may be wonky and unreliable anyway.)

and because condoms aren't 100%, whenever you notice copious amounts of cervical fluid mid-cycle, it's better to abstain during that time, just to be safe.

we're going on 10 years now, no babies! :-) it makes sense. if you're not having sex at a time where an egg can be fertilized, then you won't get pregnant. (i guess guys have trouble processing it, since they're always producing something that can make a baby. the cyclical nature of releasing eggs doesn't come natural to them)

i am really excited that vasalgel has enough supporters to go forward. (it's the male non-hormonal contraceptive that is effective for 10 years after only one session.) it's revolutionary, and it'll cut deeply into the female birth control market, so none of the pharmaceutical companies want to touch it. and it won't really make any investors money, since it's so inexpensive.
here's the most recent newsletter. http://myemail.constantcontact.com/New- ... k25ZxYUJDg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just finished reading the book, and am going to be done with the pill this month after I finish the pack. I've only been on it 4 months now after having an iud reject itself after 3 years, so hopefully it won't take too long for my hormones to normalize and my chart to be easy to read. I feel confident that I understand the rules, but I have to explain it better to my boyfriend, who at first thought it was the rhythm method and was not super excited for it. I've explained it a bit, but will show him the rules and the book so he can read it himself to get more confidence and information. My parents have used it for 26 years, and only had one mistake (me) a year in, so it must work pretty well. We're probably going to try for a baby in a year or so anyway, so if I did accidentally get pregnant, we could handle it, would actually be nice, just not quite the right timing. I'm so excited, can't wait for my thermometer to get here so I can get off the hormones which make me super nauseous and sick.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 pm 

the easiest way to explain the differences between rhythm and FAM is that the rhythm method uses past data to predict future cycles, whereas FAM uses today's data to determine whether it's wise to have sex that day. it's the difference between guessing and calculating.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10