| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

have you successfully used FAM
yes, as contraception 36%  36%  [ 28 ]
no as contraception (we were abstaining during fertile phase) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
no as contraception (we were using condoms during fertile phase) 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
no as contraception (we were taking risks during fertile phase) 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
no as a pregnancy aiding method 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
yes as a pregnancy aiding method 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
other 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 78
 Post subject: Re: the Fertility Awareness Method thread - birth control +
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

there was a dip on day 6. also, i had a little light pink spotting this evening. normally, if i spot before a period, it is dark brown.

i feel like i'm psyching myself up, but it's neat!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I would go ahead and test tomorrow! I didn't have enough patience to wait 18 days. After three days of higher temps, I had to test and got a positive 12dpo. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:23 pm 

I'm just afraid if I test too early, there won't be enough of the hormone and if it says negative I will be disappointed, possibly for no reason. I'm being stubborn haha...

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness! allular, it sounds like the big P and a baby punk might be in your future! I am sending happy, welcoming uterus energy to you and any zygotes who might be thinking about staying!

i totally read this thread tonight even though i have a copper iud i love (it was a sanity saver). I tried FAM before, but it only told me that i wasn't ovulating monthly. Oddly, when i did, i had the ovulation pains, and they were so strong that it felt like i was getting punched, but we never had good luck getting the swimmers and eggs aligned, (or perhaps had implantation probs?? i have never read any books, just web stuff and some stuff ab temp charting from the doc when we were trying to fig out what was going on.) Seriously i just learned more here then my ob every told me.

Lately, i have a very catholic friend who has 4 kids under 5 and is constantly saying 'thank goodness i'm not pregnant', so i'm thinking about recommending it to her.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:20 am 

Well my temp dropped this morning. Not all the way down, but pretty far. Before ovulation, my highest temp was 97.8 and since then it's been in the high 98's. This morning it went down to 98.3 (day 12). In looking at the charts in the book, that looks like my period should be starting soon and I probably just psyched myself up thinking pms symptoms were preggo ones. Boo.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

it's not below the coverline yet! keep your chin up!

jildez, definitely, please recommend this to your friend.
(i'm guessing she's either using "pull and pray" or the rhythm method?)
tell her that the catholic church promotes FAM as natural family planning (NFP) and that a church near her might even offer classes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:33 pm 

I dunno... My spotting has gotten heavier today, like it usually does before my period. Is it possible that the egg got fertilized but didn't implant? I really felt different.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I wouldn't call it until the spotting turns to full bleeding. When I got pregnant, I had spotting like I normally do leading up to my period for a day or two, but then there was no period after that.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:28 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i will definitely recommend it to her- still trying to fig how to get to the topic without offending. I don't think there will be a class here- we live in a very catholic but very rural area. The local priest does the mass in three different towns. But if she's interested, there is always the book, and i wish i had known about the mucus checks when i was charting before.

Allular- i'm still gonna send you good thoughts. It sounds like you are seeing a pattern to your cycles, and i never got that- it has got to make conception so much easier then it was for us. And heck, if i can get preggers without any high tech help, i am sure you can!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

jildez wrote:
i totally read this thread tonight even though i have a copper iud i love (it was a sanity saver). I tried FAM before, but it only told me that i wasn't ovulating monthly. Oddly, when i did, i had the ovulation pains, and they were so strong that it felt like i was getting punched, but we never had good luck getting the swimmers and eggs aligned, (or perhaps had implantation probs?? i have never read any books, just web stuff and some stuff ab temp charting from the doc when we were trying to fig out what was going on.) Seriously i just learned more here then my ob every told me.

I have an IUD, but I started (loosely) charting once I got it, just so in case anything went wrong, I know if my cycle changed right away. (Does that make sense? I mean, I am using the IUD as birth control, but FAM just to be aware of what my body's up to, so I won't freak out if my period seems a day late or something.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vegetalion wrote:
I have an IUD, but I started (loosely) charting once I got it, just so in case anything went wrong, I know if my cycle changed right away. (Does that make sense? I mean, I am using the IUD as birth control, but FAM just to be aware of what my body's up to, so I won't freak out if my period seems a day late or something.)

oh, totally. i mean no one form of birth control is 100% effective anyway. you have the upper hand to know if you need to take further action. (not to mention you can also always avoid on the most fertile day to increase your effectiveness)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:23 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

saw this thread for the first time since it was bumped up to the active posts. I am intrigued. This is my second month nuvaring free, but I'm in the preventing phase until after my Italy trip this summer (dejavu pungalina?) Both my sister and my husband's sister got pregnant the first month they tried so I don't anticipate any problems. I guess I didn't really think about how charting can be a way to be more informed about your body. Think I'm going to see if my library has that book.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 am 

well, my temp dropped more and my period started. so back to my other question: is it possible that the egg was fertilized and just didn't implant? also, at least now i know that i have a 12 days luteal cycle. that's good, right?

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
well, my temp dropped more and my period started. so back to my other question: is it possible that the egg was fertilized and just didn't implant? also, at least now i know that i have a 12 days luteal cycle. that's good, right?

yeah, i was going to say that in my comment on thurs, but didn't want to unnecessarily alarm you. early miscarriages are ridiculously common. a 12 day LP is still short, but it's doable. just keep taking your B6 and crossing your fingers. <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:59 am 

That is kind of what I figured. And it was 13 days, I typo'd that last post. I'll just have to keep on keepin' on.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Its great news that you have a 13 day luteal phase! My MD suspected that I had a luteal phase defect (under 10 days) which would have made implantation so much harder.

Good luck allularpunk!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Now you have so much more information about your cycle to help with timing things next time around. Make sure you have a few glasses of wine while you know for sure you can! Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:50 pm 

Yeah, this is definitely not a normal period. Way heavier than usual. My poor diva cup can't keep up and I finally had to say fork it and get some pads. Annnnnnd I'm at work of course. Crappy day :(

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

:-( *hugs*

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I frequently had 11 day luteal phases, and I still managed to get accidentally pregnant. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:36 am 
Level 7 Vegan

supercarrot wrote:
vegetalion wrote:

oh, totally. i mean no one form of birth control is 100% effective anyway. you have the upper hand to know if you need to take further action. (not to mention you can also always avoid on the most fertile day to increase your effectiveness)

Yes, exactly! (I'm glad that made sense outside my own head.)

One thing I discovered since starting charting is that I have two cycles--alternating 27 days and 30 days every other month. My ovaries and I like to laugh about this.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

that kind of makes sense. i guess one of your ovaries is a late bloomer *badum bum*

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:36 am 

i've got a question about my temperatures. the day of the excessive bleeding that we're assuming was an early miscarriage (especially since i lost all symptoms the day before it happened), my temp was 98.1 (my coverline this past month was drawn at 97.9). i bled for only one day, with spotting the next day. day 2 my temp was 98.6, but i had a couple of beers the evening before, so i nixed that one. day 3 it was 97.9, and today it's 98.2. why are they not low again like last month? all of the charts that i looked at in the book where there were miscarriages, or even just periods, the temps drop back below the coverline and seem to stay there. i'm taking my temp at the same time every morning (9am). are my hormones just out of whack now?

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

it's very possible. (cause your body was preparing to go the long haul.) maybe in a few weeks you should take a pregnancy test if your temp is still up? maybe you didn't have a miscarriage? (or maybe you had 2 eggs fertilized and only 1 implanted?)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:06 am 
Dead by dawn

Sometimes my temps stay a little high into the first few days of the next cycle. I think the book says it's residual progesterone. Like, I get a noticeable dip and know my period is coming, but it's still at or above the cover line for 2 or 3 days.

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next