| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crappy Psych Experiences
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:34 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I didn't see a thread specifically on this topic, so I am starting one. Talk/vent about godawful experiences with psychologists, psychiatrists, therapists, counsellors... anyone in the mental health profession. Because sometimes I feel like there is nowhere to get those negative experiences off my chest that doesn't result in a) making things worse with said mental health professionals, or b) feeding into virulent anti-psychiatry bullshiitake, which isn't what I want at all.

Been prescribed the same medications that landed you in hospital in the first place? Had someone dismiss five years of files because they didn't want to read them? Gone through several sessions only to have your therapist ghost on you? Run into homophobic/transphobic therapists? Gone back to your family doctor after a psych assessment only to see your family doctor completely incredulous that you weren't assessed for the problem for which you were referred in the first place? Been diagnosed with an eating disorder (better yet, personality disorder) just for being vegan? Please, feel free to yell about it. I will be yelling.

I've seen probably too many damn psychs for someone still in university, and not all of them have been good. Quite a few of them have been mediocre or worse. I guess this thread is particularly inspired by one psychiatrist I saw recently, because it turns out my roommate was referred to the same person and had a similarly shiitake experience.

I don't want to take up the first post ranting about that one particular person, though, so. I guess I'll post this and then continue being miffed in the next post of this thread, or something.

Post subject: Re: Crappy Psych Experiences
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:56 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I was depressed for some years before I was formally diagnosed. This was when I was 17 and just a few months away from going to another state for uni. The psych I saw spent most of her time trying to talk to me about dieting and losing weight, as if my depression would go away if I wasn't such a fatty. She then prescribed some meds (can't remember what - started with a P but not Prozac) literally weeks before I left the state but gave me no guidance on what might happen, how they might make me feel, side effects, etc. And she didn't refer me to a mental health professional near my new residence or tell me how I might go about getting refills, or that I would have withdrawal symptoms if I stopped taking my meds. This was early days of the internet so you couldn't find all the answers on your own.

I ended up feeling worse than before (I pretty much stopped feeling emotions and spent all my time eating or sleeping), so I could barely even shower, let alone go to classes or do my coursework. I was unpleasant to be around so even my friends didn't like me much (inasmuch as I had any since I'm terrible at making friends at the best of times) and I ended up failing out of uni and having to move back home.

I really wish I had the resources that I have now so that I could've advocated for myself to first get diagnosed earlier and then recognise that my psych was the forking worst so I could find someone else.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

On Thursday I called my behavioral health department because I felt I needed a higher level of care than a once a month psych appointment. She decided I was a danger to myself so she, unbeknownst to me, called 911 on me.. So the cops and EMS show up and take me to the psych ER . the psych ER was terrible. I admitted smoking legal recreational cannabis in Portland and she lectured me on how CBD strains cause psychosis which simply isn't true, I bought very low THC cannabis to treat anxiety and it worked great. The next day she said my boyfriend said I wasn't a danger to myself (after I told her I had a plan and means to carry it out in my purse.) She also told him I resisted inpatient which was also not true. They also discharged me without talking to my psychiatrist, who I texted later in the day and who was horrified. I didn't go and I'm surviving on klonopin til my outpatient appointment the 26th.. If it becomes necessary I will go but after that I'm hesitant to go to a different ER.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:33 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

rachell37 wrote:
I really wish I had the resources that I have now so that I could've advocated for myself to first get diagnosed earlier and then recognise that my psych was the forking worst so I could find someone else.

It seems to me that many people are only just starting to realise that it's possible to have a doctor who just sucks at their job and that if they're having bad experiences with a doctor, they can/should get the fork out of there and find someone else - that they as a patient should have the right to be treated by a doctor who doesn't make them miserable.

And I think with psych stuff, people are just a bit slower in moving toward the same realisation... Which is compounded by the fact that if a psych patient complains of poor treatment, all too often friends/family/medical professionals themselves dismiss concerns as the patient being oppositional or just, y'know. Crazy.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

that's terrible blondie! I'm so sorry.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wow, blondiefk, what a terrible experience. How are you doing now?

My son when he was about 17 went for a couple of visits to a psychologist who was obsessed with stroganoff. That'll cure ya.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I ended up in inpatient for nine days, ten days if you count the observation time in the ER. They offered me two medication options then did the one I didn’t choose which made me really sick so they undid that and discharged me. I think too soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

To be fair two of the things that landed me in the psych ward weren't fixable there - I just came off an opiate treatment drug after 23 years of being on opiates and PMDD which I'm supposed to address with my gynecologist with birth control pills.