| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rid of tiredness and fatigue
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:15 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi
I have been building up to becoming Vegan for about a year now, dairy never agreed with me anyway but didn't realise how much until I turned Vegan
I am feeling tired and sluggish since going 100% Vegan in the past month, any advice on what I may need to focus on food wise or Vitamins....?

Fae

Post subject: Re: Rid of tiredness and fatigue
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:00 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Are you getting enough calories? What does a normal day of food look like to you?

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:47 am 
Tofu Pup

Vegetable juice in the morning/porridge/fruit
then a salad or sourdough with avocado and tomato for lunch or soup/grains with vegetables/soba noodles
evening could be/tofu with lentils/soba noodles with tahini and kale/ramen with kale/quinoa, wheat free past and beans with vegatables/sweet potato stew/tempeh and stir fry........lots of variation

We eat our largest meal in the evening

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:30 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Sounds like you may be a little low on both fat and protein (as well as potentially calories). Dairy provides a lot of fat and a fair bit of protein, so if you have cut it out without replacing it that may explain feeling run down.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

OK, so up my pulses, lentils, tofu, tempeh and around lunchtime.....Ironic about the fat as been trying to cut down lol but your right, using my sesame seed oils, olive oil I can have, just have obviously lacked in the fat content in cheese eughhh,
Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I would add a little fat in the morning as well. Maybe a little avocado?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:03 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I know I'd never be able to function with a diet that carb oriented. I'm not saying cut out carbs, I'm saying add protein and fat. Your first two meals don't seem to have much of either :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

I do also make smoothies with almond mylk, spinach, tahini, banana and or avocado so need to have that more........so what do you all eat in a day

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

On a perfect day I would have:

Breakfast: Either a green smoothie or a breakfast burrito

Lunch: Dinner leftovers or a tofu salad sandwich or a hearty soup w/bread

Dinner: I really love all things burrito, casseroles, homemade veggie burgers, curries...all bets are off for dinner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:38 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Here goes:

Breakfast: oatmeal with 1-2 TBSP almond butter + fruit
Snack: soy yogurt with fruit & hemp seeds
Lunch: depending on what kind of day I have, either sandwich (usually either baked tofu or tofurky, tomato, spinach, cucumber, avocado) or a giant-ass salad (spinach, baked tofu or beyond meat chiken, veggies, avocado, nuts, dressing)
Snack: one or more of the following: smoothie with protein powder, fruit, almond milk, sometimes greens; primal strips (vegan jerky), leftovers, energy bars;
Dinner: BBQ seitan and broccoli with mashed sweet potatoes.

I also have a truly massive sweet tooth, so add to that at least one cookie or muffin or some kind of sweet treat. I try to focus on getting a lot of veggies and protein. I am an endurance athlete, so carbs are also very important for my training, but it's easy enough to just add some brown rice or potatoes or whatever to a meal, so I plan around maximizing veggies and protein, which works well for me.

Make sure to get plenty of calories, more protein, and a decent amount of healthy fats!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:25 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you, I realise I need a bigger lunch for me with protein and more fat like avocado
Today I had porridge with quinoa grains mixed in and fruit and raw cacao nibs.........then I had spinach salad and wrap with chickpeas roughly ground up in food processor with vegan mayo, carrots, celery, peppers, walnuts, mustard and gherkins :)
Dinner is thai curry with sweet potato and greens and sticky jasmine rice

Thank you ladies for all your help xxxx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yesterday:

Rice cakes (whole grain) with PB and marmite, OJ
Whole grain rye sandwich with olive tofu and greens (my tomatoes weren't quite ripe enough!)
Handful of peanuts, a few squares of dark chocolate
Take-away shared between several of us consisting of veggie dumplings, bean sprouts, two different tofu dishes (one of them with rehydrated tofu skins and veggies) and rice.

Dinner on thursday was a strawberry-ginger-orange smoothie, seitan piccata with potatoes, green beans, arugula and edamame as a snack later. I almost always have nut butter with breakfast, tofu with lunch (I can get a few different flavours I just need to slice up) and nuts for snacking.

If your goal is to up the protein, I would probably use something other than almond milk for smoothies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:51 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Faeceltica wrote:
Thank you, I realise I need a bigger lunch for me with protein and more fat like avocado
Today I had porridge with quinoa grains mixed in and fruit and raw cacao nibs.........then I had spinach salad and wrap with chickpeas roughly ground up in food processor with vegan mayo, carrots, celery, peppers, walnuts, mustard and gherkins :)

For me, this still would leave me drained. I'd add a good amount of nut butter to your breakfast, and some seitan and/or tofu to your lunch AND dinner.

Please don't feel like I'm nit-picking you :) but looking at your diet I *know* I would feel tired.

ETA I've been vegan for almost 20 years and have tweaked around my diet to find what works for me. I know you will sort it out. Yay you!

ETA (again!) if you feel you still fall short on calories/energy you can always add in a dessert here and there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:15 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

If you like nut butter at all, I'd try some in the porridge. Mostly because it's delicious, but it also adds fat and protein. Sometimes I'll add a scoop of protein powder as well.

Also, are you taking a B12 supplement?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:29 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

tofucheez wrote:
Faeceltica wrote:

For me, this still would leave me drained. I'd add a good amount of nut butter to your breakfast, and some seitan and/or tofu to your lunch AND dinner.

Please don't feel like I'm nit-picking you :) but looking at your diet I *know* I would feel tired.

ETA I've been vegan for almost 20 years and have tweaked around my diet to find what works for me. I know you will sort it out. Yay you!

ETA (again!) if you feel you still fall short on calories/energy you can always add in a dessert here and there.

Alternately, you can add snacks in there. I simply cannot go 4 or 5 hours without eating. Toast with PB&J, soy yogurt, energy bars (home made are way better - you can make them with oats, peanut butter, brown rice syrup, maple or agave syrup, nuts, and chocolate chips or dried fruit, and they are amazing!), vegan jerky, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

yes to snacks! I never go more than two hours without eating something, usually it's more like every hour. It's not that I'm regimented about it, I just get all spaced out if I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:13 pm 
Impressive boner

Also make sure you're getting a decent supply of b vitamins and vitamin d.