| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gallbladder removal and recovery
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've had a lot of pain since I had a gallbladder attack almost a month ago, so I think I'm just going to go ahead with getting it removed. How is the recovery for the laproscopic removal? Will I be able to look after my kids the next day if we take it easy? What about working (on my feet) a week later?
And did you have any terrible digestive trouble after? I am going crazy trying to decide if this is the right thing to do.

Post subject: Re: Gallbladder removal and recovery
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:20 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I had mine removed in December and had a horrendous recovery--flat on my back for a week due to pain, then off work for another month due to exhaustion. That being said, I was very, very ill for the preceding year, which no doubt impacted my recovery.

I would plan to not be able to look after your kids the next day.

I haven't had particular digestive trouble since (aside from IBS). I did have to reintroduce fat slowly.

All in all, it was absolutely the right thing to do. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Oh, and the most important tidbit I got (from Lavawitch, thank you!) is to get two warm-packs--one for your belly and one for your neck. They are the only things that will help with the gas pain.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thank you j-dub! I'm glad you're feeling better, sounds like you had it rough.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:16 am 
Impressive boner

I had mine removed in December 2005 after being ill for around a year (The NHS is great for being free but can be very slow at times.).

Working on your feet a week later might be pushing it. I went back to my desk job two weeks after surgery and ended up with two of my incision sites being infected and having to take more time off sick.

I didn't have any major digestive problems afterwards, aside from the odd bout of diarrhea.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:42 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My digestive problems were way better after the surgery. There is no way I could have taken care of a kid for at least the first week after I was discharged. I think I needed two weeks off. I also had stones in my duct and I was in the hospital for a week and had 3 surgeries! I would get it out, you want to avoid what I had to go through! The longer you wait the more likely you can get such a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:48 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

No experience/advice here, but hope you feel better soon, whatever you decide to do :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was walking around and up and about within hours after the surgery. Worst part was soreness from the surgery and constipation from the pain meds. But once I got past that I was fine. I think I stayed home from work for a week. And I only took the pain meds they sent me home with a for two days. So expect to sleep through the first two days home from the hospital at best, and at worst expect to be laid up for a week or two.

The actual worst part was the pain coming directly out of surgery from the gas they put in you. OMG!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thank you everyone! It's scheduled for the 24th, so I'm just hoping to avoid an attack before then! And I'm trying to work out what to do about work; it's difficult because I'm a freelancer who has to be on a set, and I only get this particular gig four times a year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I had mine out on a Monday and I was off work for the rest of the week. I was able to go back to my desk job the following week. I didn't have any complications or digestive issues.

The day of surgery, I was throwing up a lot afterwards, from the anesthesia. The second day was rough -- I was very sore. I didn't have kids then, but there's no way I'd have been up to watching them. I was only wanting to eat soup. But after that, it got better. I didn't need the hospital pain meds by the third day, just Tylenol. Be sure to get up and walk around! Your lungs need it after they put you under -- otherwise you can get a lung infection (happened to a friend's husband). And carry a pillow around the house with you that you can clutch to your stomach whenever you get up/sit down. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:24 am 
Ninja Master

I had mine out 2 years ago. i was in a lot of pain for a few days, couldn't do much except lie on sofa! I was off work 2 weeks as the 2nd week i was finding it difficult to twist or sit in a chair for ling periods.

After that though I've basically felt great. I feel a bit groggy and get stomach pains if I over eat but i can pretty much eat what i want now.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I was in a lot of pain but it's all a bit of a blur. The pain medication didn't work for me so they kept giving me more until that stuff made me throw up. But I'm a weirdo when it comes to meds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:38 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The surgeon gave me a prescription for vicodin, which I think I've taken before with no problems. I hate throwing up, so I'm going to talk to them about anesthesia before the surgery-I've been under once with no problems but I need a little reassurance!