All day, everyday 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
Once a day 41%  41%  [ 35 ]
Couple times a week 27%  27%  [ 23 ]
Once a week 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Once a month 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Special occasions only (a few times a year) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
I eat kale for dessert! 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 85
 Post subject: How often do you eat sweets/treats?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:30 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

How often do you eat sweets and treats? Are they a regular part of your intake? Only for special occasions? Do you eschew sweets in favour of massaged kale salads?

How do you feel about your sugar intake? Too much? Too little? Just right?

I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate-for-me level of sugar intake and all I've figured out so far is that I'm probably a little too generous with the sweets and treats these days.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: How often do you eat sweets/treats?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'd say I don't go out of my way to eat them but probably end up doing so a couple few times a week. That's much less than I used to which is probably good. Sometimes stuff like kombucha fulfills the same desire and is probably better for my tum anyway.

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I try to do protein bars or shakes as a snack because they usually satisfy the sweet tooth and keep me a little more satisfied. I'm probably between 1-2 times a day.

I also missed the "often" when I first read the thread title, so I wanted to answer "with my mouth."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:37 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

It really depends how you define "treat" for me. Is a flavoured soy yoghurt a treat? A non-sugar-sweetened fizzy drink?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've never really monitored before. I would say I'm somewhere between once a week and a few times a week depending. Vegan + GF sweet treats are kind of hard to come by and I don't bake hardly ever. I had some Lucy's chocolate chip cookies this week so far and a few pieces of dark chocolate. But that's about as much as I'll do, I haven't had a cupcake, piece of cake, muffin, scone or any other baked good in a really long time! Which is sad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:54 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Is anything with sugar in it a treat? A fatfree whole wheat muffin? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm actually trying to figure this out as I only want to eat treats once a week for a bit and see how it goes. But then I wasn't sure what I actually consider a treat..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:58 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Probably a couple of times a week. Unless you count jam on the breakfast toast as a treat, which I don't, although it has sugar.
I know that for myself even those few times a week are too much, I feel much better when I don't eat sugary stuff at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Too much right now! I overindulge when I'm under a lot of stress, but I think I'm starting to manage it again, so hopefully I will bring it down a bit! I think once a day is good for me, but that might mean a little bit of chocolate at the end of the day most days, and a bigger treat other days. If I'm already eating really well with lots of veg, I definitely feel okay about a treat. I like moderation!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I said all day every day because I eat way too much sugar. Like yesterday I had a Jokerz bar and sweet and Sara marshmallows and so far today I've had some ice cream. I should switch to fruit but when I'm in the city sugary vegan stuff is so plentiful I keep eating it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:07 pm 

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Is anything with sugar in it a treat? A fatfree whole wheat muffin? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm actually trying to figure this out as I only want to eat treats once a week for a bit and see how it goes. But then I wasn't sure what I actually consider a treat..

For me I consider things like cookies/candy/chocolate/ice cream, etc. So, "desserts". But I would also consider something like a white-flour, sugary scone a treat. A whole grain, low-sugar muffin I wouldn't. But that's just me. (And I'm GF so muffin talk is sadly pretty moot.)

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:07 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Right now, once a day, I'd say. When I'm stressed, I get a major sweet tooth. Which sucks because it inevitable makes me feel like shiitake physically, cycling into feeling more stressed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have to put cereal and granola on the list of sweets and treats for me. I stopped eating cereal for months and just recently had a few bowls and I realized how horribly sweet it is and it was too much and I don't need it. The good thing about breaking the sugar habit is that your taste buds adapt and you can't or don't want to eat it anymore. Sometimes even my coffee or tea can be too sweet!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:25 pm 
Cranky

[modly note]The potential danger of this thread is that we head into shaming territory. Let's be careful not to impose value judgments of ourselves (or others) based on our reporting! [/modly note]

I eat sugar as often as I can. I know I've had too much when my blood sugar starts nosediving and then I'll be more mindful. (I've had a long relationship with hypoglycemia, which is pretty well controlled these days.) I pack as many fruits and veggies into breakfast and lunch as I can so that I can do whatever I want with my evenings.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:36 pm 
WRETCHED

If that is how you define sweet treats, then I'd say a couple times per year. I do eat a small piece of dark chocolate a few times per week though. Cookies, cake, ice cream, etc are a rarity for me. I generally avoid things with added sugar (other than the dark chocolate) except for special occasions and what not.

Last edited by linanil on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have about an ounce of dark chocolate a day - usually in the form of some Ghirardelli chocolate chips. They're not my favorite kind of chocolate, but they do the job to help me to feel satisfied.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:44 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Living in Portland, good vegan treats are relatively plentiful. However, I still very much have the mindset of "OMG look at that amazing vegan thing! Who knows when I'll get a chance to eat one of those again- better eat two!" I'll find myself eating several treats a day sometimes, but usually when I realize I'm doing that, I'm pretty good about cutting back. No shame here, but it does make me feel like crepe and is less-than-optimal fuel for the things I like to do, so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:05 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
Living in Portland, good vegan treats are relatively plentiful. However, I still very much have the mindset of "OMG look at that amazing vegan thing! Who knows when I'll get a chance to eat one of those again- better eat two!" I'll find myself eating several treats a day sometimes, but usually when I realize I'm doing that, I'm pretty good about cutting back. No shame here, but it does make me feel like crepe and is less-than-optimal fuel for the things I like to do, so.

Yeah, that's the trap I fall into. Vegan + GF can be a real trick so I when I find it I stock up and then once I have it I eat it. And once I'm in that pattern my body makes it well known to me that it expects regular sugar infusions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:09 pm 
Dead by dawn

I put a couple of times a week, but it really could have just as accurately been once a day. I'd say 4ish times a week is about right, sometimes a lot more, sometimes a lot less. Depending on... what, I'm not sure exactly. Sometimes just boredom. Sometimes availability (my grocery store now stocks Mighty-O donuts... I try to go later in the day when they're sold out or I can't pass one up just because they're there.) Given the choice of treats, though, I'll go with fatty/salty like potato chips before sugary usually.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

I eat so much sugar it's shameful! I hate salt and love sugar. Right now my sugar cravings are in overdrive because of pregnancy... I know that's when you're, like, not supposed to eat so much sugar, but my blood glucose test was fine so I'm don't feel so terrible about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:27 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I don't at all, really? I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I am sure if I lived somewhere that had ALL THE CAKES or whatever I'd get well on in there. I'm not arsed enough to bother seeking things out though and have found I'm not that into such things so much- case in point, today there were a bunch of chocolate chip hobnobs on my desk and I ate one and almost died of a sugar coma. Ok, not actually, but it was not Good Times and I would not choose to purchase. A family-sized bag of crisps, though? Stick it in a nose bag and I will munch it til only crumbs are left.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:30 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'm on a medication that really pushes the sugar need button in my brain so it is next to impossible for me to think about anything other than were I am getting my next hit from. When I am not on this medication I could manage on one sweet a day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

interrobang?! wrote:
I don't at all, really? I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I am sure if I lived somewhere that had ALL THE CAKES or whatever I'd get well on in there. I'm not arsed enough to bother seeking things out though and have found I'm not that into such things so much- case in point, today there were a bunch of chocolate chip hobnobs on my desk and I ate one and almost died of a sugar coma. Ok, not actually, but it was not Good Times and I would not choose to purchase. A family-sized bag of crisps, though? Stick it in a nose bag and I will munch it til only crumbs are left.

yeah that's pretty much me. I only eat desserts if someone bakes me something special but I don't really like sweet stuff. In fact I'd sort of rather people didn't bake me anything, but if someone makes some vegan cookies, or orders a vegan bday cake just for me I feel like a jerk refusing it. I like savory, salty foods.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:58 pm 
Impressive boner

Usually it would be something like chocolate buttons or a flapjack a couple of times a week. I've been not so careful for the last month or so though and have been enjoying chocolate spread and Jammy Dodgers a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:18 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have the hugest sweet tooth. I want dessert after every single meal. But now I am cutting wayyyy back, so I'm only eating cookies or anything like that on the weekends or maybe a week night if I know I have plans. It's really hard to cut them out!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Nicole wrote:
I have about an ounce of dark chocolate a day - usually in the form of some Ghirardelli chocolate chips. They're not my favorite kind of chocolate, but they do the job to help me to feel satisfied.

Yup, this is me too. I don't bake super often and store bought vegan treats are too expensive to buy regularly so we usually don't have much in the house, but I really like having something sweet after dinner. Usually a handful of chocolate chips is enough. I definitely have something sweet every day though. It's better if it's something I can eat slowly to enjoy the sugar longer, so I don't usually have my treat in liquid form.