| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Please run away from that doctor! And I hope you feel better soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

mooo wrote:
Please run away from that doctor! And I hope you feel better soon.

+1!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:26 am 
Huffs Nooch

So I'm bumping this thread to complain and to ask a question. I got my IUD a month ago and the cramping started to stop but now I'm getting really bad cramps. My strings are in the same place and they haven't gotten longer so I'm just wondering how long it took for the cramps/being unable to use the bathroom normally (BMs) to really go away. I have a Mirena and I'm NP.

I'm just really frustrated and I would take it out but I want to give it a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Afrofunk, it took a few years before my constant cramping (especially when I had to use the toilet) subsided. I still get random cramps but the intensity is much lower. I think I'm on the extreme end, since others here have posted that their cramps lessened after a year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

couroupita wrote:
Afrofunk, it took a few years before my constant cramping (especially when I had to use the toilet) subsided. I still get random cramps but the intensity is much lower. I think I'm on the extreme end, since others here have posted that their cramps lessened after a year.

T_T?
Thanks for responding! That's good to know, I just start having the "Is this expelling?!" freak out every time I cramp up/need to use the bathroom and it drives me nuts. My friend who also has a mirena said that it ended after a month, but she just had a baby, so it's good to hear other opinions. I'm still waiting for my ACA insurance to kick in before I go back to the doctor for the ultrasound.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:59 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had constant cramping for a year with mirena. Gave up at that point and had it removed! My doc has mentioned another, smaller one that may be less likely to cause cramps, but I'm blanking on the name.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Is it Skyla? My doctor called it Mirena light and not in a good way, they don't even do insertions of it at that office. That's the one I wanted initially but I wasn't opposed to getting a Mirena.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I had cramping for 3ish months with Mirena. Never as bad as period cramps, but uncomfortable. After that I would get cramps occasionally, but often with a bit of spotting (so a mini period with mini cramps).

I had my Mirena taken out 4 years ago, its time was up. I'm thinking about getting another one in now that I have insurance again. The insertion pain and few months of cramping was SO worth it to get rid of my terrible periods for years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:52 am 

_afrofunk wrote:
Is it Skyla? My doctor called it Mirena light and not in a good way, they don't even do insertions of it at that office. That's the one I wanted initially but I wasn't opposed to getting a Mirena.

Yes, that's it! I don't know anyone who has one, so it's interesting that your doc won't use it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I had a transvaginal ultrasound at my last ob/gyn exam, so I got to see my own IUD! From the angle I saw, it looked like a toothpick. Thrilling stuff. Guess you had to be there, eh?

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:13 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Kiddo wrote:
_afrofunk wrote:

Yes, that's it! I don't know anyone who has one, so it's interesting that your doc won't use it.

Yeah it was weird but she gave this whole spiel about it about how it was just marketing because their patent was up. I know some PPs carry it but not a lot of places near me do.
The cramps are starting to get better but I feel like it's the calm before the storm. Rebekah, I actually want to get a trans-vaginal ultrasound too, because I can't take the "drink 2 liters of water" bladder bursting that comes with a regular one. How long did that one take?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:31 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

_afrofunk wrote:
Rebekah, I actually want to get a trans-vaginal ultrasound too, because I can't take the "drink 2 liters of water" bladder bursting that comes with a regular one. How long did that one take?

I don't know. Five minutes? Three minutes? I'd never had one before and wasn't expecting it. I walked into my new ob/gyn's office and thought 'huh, what are those monitors for?' They were for me. He used the monitors to measure my ovaries, and... make sure the IUD was okay?? Sorry I can't be more helpful, my German's not very good and the whole thing was bewildering. Everything's bewildering when you don't Quite speak the language.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:35 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Rebekah wrote:
_afrofunk wrote:
Rebekah, I actually want to get a trans-vaginal ultrasound too, because I can't take the "drink 2 liters of water" bladder bursting that comes with a regular one. How long did that one take?

I don't know. Five minutes? Three minutes? I'd never had one before and wasn't expecting it. I walked into my new ob/gyn's office and thought 'huh, what are those monitors for?' They were for me. He used the monitors to measure my ovaries, and... make sure the IUD was okay?? Sorry I can't be more helpful, my German's not very good and the whole thing was bewildering. Everything's bewildering when you don't Quite speak the language.

It's okay, regular ultrasounds are horrible to me so I will ask if they do the transvaginal instead when I go in for my check-up. Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Rebekah wrote:
_afrofunk wrote:

I went to an ob/gyn once (once) that regularly did transvaginal ultrasounds on all patients to check for ovarian cysts. Kind of huge overkill. I think checking out the placement of an IUD on ultrasound after insertion is pretty normal, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ariann wrote:
I went to an ob/gyn once (once) that regularly did transvaginal ultrasounds on all patients to check for ovarian cysts. Kind of huge overkill. I think checking out the placement of an IUD on ultrasound after insertion is pretty normal, though.

I've had my Paragard for... six years, maybe? The doctor here insists that's not possible and no IUD lasts that long, and I tried to politely explain that this particular IUD CAN last that long. He never did agree with me, he merely said "I accept that everything is better in America" sarcastically. So, he may have done the ultrasound to make sure I'm not... what, lying so I can keep an outmoded IUD in place?? Because everyone wants birth control that no longer works?

Then again, getting measured for an IUD was the most painful thing that's ever happened to me. No WAY I'm taking this one out until absolutely necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:50 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I just got my Skyla a couple weeks ago, and so far it's great! I only had cramping for a couple days, and it wasn't unbearable, although I do still have light spotting. I know the Skyla is kind of just "Mirena Light" marketed to women who haven't had babies, but I decided to use it because I think I'll want to get pregnant within 3 years (or at least force the question with my partner by then). Originally I wanted to get a paragard to get off hormones, but the level of hormones in an IUD is MUCH lower than in pills because it is right in the uterus and doesn't have to go through the circulatory system. It's still early days for me, but so far I'd definitely recommend it! It's so great not to have to worry about pills, and I can really tell a difference with the decreased hormones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:26 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

** POSITIVE EXPERIENCE**

Just a quick update // a retrospect if you want. It's been 1.5 year since I got a copper IUD inserted and... everything goes well! The insertion was a bit painful, but mostly just uncomfortable (haven't had children and a weirdly shaped uterus). I had a couple cramps that same day but still could drive and go to work. Nothing after that. I spotted for maybe 4 months total, after that nothing. My periods are not more abundant, not to a point where I feel to complain about it anyway. No trouble whatsoever with the cords. The only time I can feel it is when I haven't pooped for like.. days and really need to go :)

I did stop the pill at the same time, that's another story :) Hormones are a bit insane and I don't know how much time it takes to come over the fact that I took hormonal pills for 15 years, but that's more than one year, apparently.

EDIT: I went back to my older posts (haha! totally forgot about the bad bits AND that I had already written about it..) and I realize it wasn't as good as I now remember it.. it's been a while! But you see, I don't remember any of it and i'm really glad I made that decision and would still totally recommend it to anyone and everyone to at least try it :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:34 am 
Ninja Master

Ugh the mirena is so far not very fun! I've had it in since March 24th. Insertion was a bit painful but nothing too bad then I was fine for 2 weeks. But since then I've been bleeding pretty much every day. Some days are just a bit of spotting, others are heavy like a period. And the cramps.... they come and go but today for example - SO painful. Like the worst periods I used to have.

Please someone tell me this will settle down soon?

The doc had to put me on iron tablets as the constant bleeding made me anemic and she's also put me on the mini pill to try and speed up the bleeding, which is playing havoc with my emotions (not to mention my sex drive). She said I might have to stay on that for up to 6 months or indefinitely - in which case what is the forking point? If that is the case I'm coming off it and going back to the combined pill.

(I'm having a bad couple of hours, I will probably be fine and not wanting to cry constantly in a couple of hours!)

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:17 pm 

I'm so sorry baps! When I tried the Mirena, I was told that it takes up to six months for the bleeding pattern to stabilise.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:41 pm 
Ninja Master

Oh nuts i hope it doesn't take that long. Not sure how much more I can take.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:03 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I must be in the vast minority here, but my Mirena has never caused me any discomfort. Just minor cramping the day of insertion (and day after? I think?) I've never had spotting. I've been getting minor PMS each month for the last few months (a little bloating, breaking out, and ravaging all the bread), but it's close to time to replace mine.
But, I haven't had my period in 4.5 years. And I intend to continue this until I either hit menopause or change my mind about kids. I have nothing but amazing things to say about my experience with the Mirena.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:54 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm getting a Mirena inserted the day before going to a weekend festival with camping, whathaveyou. Kind of not stoked for that.

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:03 pm 
Ninja Master

You might be fine. I had pretty much no cramps for 2 weeks. It was after that it all went to hell.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

baps wrote:
Ugh the mirena is so far not very fun! I've had it in since March 24th. Insertion was a bit painful but nothing too bad then I was fine for 2 weeks. But since then I've been bleeding pretty much every day. Some days are just a bit of spotting, others are heavy like a period. And the cramps.... they come and go but today for example - SO painful. Like the worst periods I used to have.

Please someone tell me this will settle down soon?

This sounds a lot like my experience with a Mirena. I got the mirena in the first place because of horrific periods and severe pelvic pain even when not on my period, and probably for the first month I had random spotting, and probably another month or two of random cramping often. But, I had had random cramping before, so I'm not sure if it was related. It probably took six months before I wasn't having random cramping even when not on my period (but the cramping was much less severe after the first few months). I've had my mirena for over a year now, and I still have bleeding during my period, but its five days of spotting with occasional cramping which is so much better than the five days of bleeding so heavy and cramping so bad I would pass out, so I'm good with that.

Hope things settle down for you soon baps! I found taking either naxopren or ibprofen first thing in the morning for the first month or so kept cramping tolerable for the day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:45 am 
Ninja Master

Thank you, I will try taking ibuprofen in the morning. I usually just pop it when the cramps hit as I never know when that's going to be but that doesn't really do much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next