| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:04 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I got mine inserted today! It was super good, almost no pain, just like a regular cramp for a few second. The doctor used local anesthesia (in a spray can, so no pain there either!) and I took one of my normal anti-cramps pill afterwards and I'm still doing really well.
I have the Flexi T 300 and it needs changing every two years, not covered by my public insurance but it was only 190 euros anyway.
It's the second day of my period and apparently it's easier to get it in during your period because your cervix is already a bit open.
I had a biopsy almost 10 years ago and that was HELL compared to inserting this tiny thing.
Welcome IUD!!!
And super thanks to the PPK for teaching me about IUDs! I thought they were primitive forms of birth control that were used in the '70s until I read this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So here's my IUD story:

2 weeks ago -
I had my initial appointment, the nurse and nurse practitioner are both extremely nice and we discuss why I want the Paragard. The nurse practitioner goes over what it is, how it works, risks and whatever (everything I already know). She gives me a mini-exam and everything looks good to go. She prescribes 800mg ibuprofen to take 1 hour before the next appointment as well as misoprostil to "ripen my cervix" which I am supposed to take 3 hours before my appointment.

Last week -
I take the misoprostil as directed and holy hell, worst cramps of my entire life. I really thought I was going to pass out. I took the ibuprofen an hour before the appointment as directed, it helped but it was still worse than my normal cramps. They tried to insert the IUD but it was expelled before they could finish trimming the strings. They consulted a doctor and she reccommended trying again without the misoprostil. Try again in a week.

Today -
Almost called to cancel... Took my ibuprofen as planned and went to the appointment. When they did whatever they had to do there was some pretty intense cramping but it is still way better than last week. The insertion seemed to go better but they warned me that there is still a chance it will expel again. I am hoping that the issues were because of the misoprostil. I have some cramps now and a little bleeding but it's tolerable.

Overall, i am happy i stuck it out and have my fingers crossed that it stays put... it'll be really nice to be almost worry free in the prego department.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:19 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Nicole wrote:
So here's my IUD story:

2 weeks ago -
I had my initial appointment, the nurse and nurse practitioner are both extremely nice and we discuss why I want the Paragard. The nurse practitioner goes over what it is, how it works, risks and whatever (everything I already know). She gives me a mini-exam and everything looks good to go. She prescribes 800mg ibuprofen to take 1 hour before the next appointment as well as misoprostil to "ripen my cervix" which I am supposed to take 3 hours before my appointment.

Last week -
I take the misoprostil as directed and holy hell, worst cramps of my entire life. I really thought I was going to pass out. I took the ibuprofen an hour before the appointment as directed, it helped but it was still worse than my normal cramps. They tried to insert the IUD but it was expelled before they could finish trimming the strings. They consulted a doctor and she reccommended trying again without the misoprostil. Try again in a week.

Today -
Almost called to cancel... Took my ibuprofen as planned and went to the appointment. When they did whatever they had to do there was some pretty intense cramping but it is still way better than last week. The insertion seemed to go better but they warned me that there is still a chance it will expel again. I am hoping that the issues were because of the misoprostil. I have some cramps now and a little bleeding but it's tolerable.

Overall, i am happy i stuck it out and have my fingers crossed that it stays put... it'll be really nice to be almost worry free in the prego department.

Oh, yeah, misoprostil is sometimes used as abortion drug... so it can be intense for some. I barely responded to it after letting some sit directly on my cervix before getting my IUD. I wonder why your doctor had you try it before trouble even started?

See, I was unable to not scream when she touched my cervix so then she tried the misoprostil (my husband calls it miso... we used the same exact technique of putting on the cervix to induce my labor and it worked amazingly) and it was slightly helpful. I hope you're feeling well now! You did it! Yay!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:55 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

They recommended it because I haven't ever been pregnant and apparently that's their practice. Never again!

Today I feel good so hopefully I'm in the clear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Momo wrote:
Mine failed me and I got pregnant when I was anything but ready to have a child. Now I am afraid of all birth control because I chose the copper iud w/o hormones...I am too scared to try hormones.

Oh no! That is so unfortunate. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. I thought IUDs were the most reliable method out there.

This brings to mind something else. I'm rather curious as to those with IUDs. Is that your only form of birth control, or do you double up and use condoms as well?

Even though I'm a bit paranoid to rely on just the IUD, the boy and I have been more tempted to forgo the condom now if a sudden out of the blue friskiness strikes, but he tends to want less mess because he doesn't want to mess with me getting another UTI or bacterial infection down there...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

God no, no condoms. They're useful, but man I hate using them. I know anything can happen, but we went for a statistically very reliable BC so that we could stop using condoms!
To limit the mess in the bed, we keep a small towel close by and I wipe as soon as we're done. Then I go pee and rinse to avoid UTIs.
Have you and your partner gotten tested for STIs recently? Now that you're equipped with an IUD, that's really all you need to feel safe forgoing condoms when you feel like it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I got an IUD so we could stop using condoms. In terms of cleaning up and "mess," usually after we're done, I just pop into the bathroom and pee and/or wipe up.

I was wondering if anyone here had seen a reduction of infections since getting an IUD? I used to be REALLY prone to yeast infections, and would get them almost once a month... until I got my Paragard 3 months ago. I haven't had one since.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

I got my Mirena about a year ago. Never been pregnant. I really wish that someone had recommended pain meds before the appt! I am very tough when it comes to pain, and it was VERY painful! I started sweating and got dizzy and had to lay down in the exam room for about 10 min after insertion. Then I was ok and went back to work, but still! Very bad cramping that day.
I have been really happy with it since then though. My periods are virtually nothing. I definitely plan to get another one in 4 yrs. This time I will take meds first!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ugh on the pill I had like no cramping practically ever. I'm now on my first period post mirena insertion and yikes. Not as bad of cramping as the day of insertion but man, a lot more cramping than I've had in a long time. Does it get better? My period is also a week early to boot, and it seems like the first 3 months are the worse then things get lots better, right? I'm a wimp when it comes to pain, so knowing I don't have to deal with this for long would be greeat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:57 pm 
protein lump

i have a paraguard, so your mileage may vary... but, yes, the first couple of months were bad. my first period was CRAZY heavy and i thought for sure i was going to bleed to death. but obviously i'm still here. and my periods are pretty much the same as pre-IUD, except maybe once a year my body goes nuts and i'll have a long bleeding spell (like for 2+ weeks). and now i have cervical cramps which are annoying, but tolerable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:55 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am thinking about getting the mirena taken out so I can go on the pill for acne. I can't use both, my gyno got mad at my suggestion of both. Hrmph. I don't want to get it taken out because of money and stubbornness. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sra. Nooch wrote:
I am thinking about getting the mirena taken out so I can go on the pill for acne. I can't use both, my gyno got mad at my suggestion of both. Hrmph. I don't want to get it taken out because of money and stubbornness. We'll see.

Did your acne start with the Mirena? I've been having a spotty chin for the last 6 months, and for the first time of my life. Don't like!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:48 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

aelle wrote:
Sra. Nooch wrote:

Did your acne start with the Mirena? I've been having a spotty chin for the last 6 months, and for the first time of my life. Don't like!

Nope, can't blame the IUD for the acne. This all started during pregnancy and has just gotten worse since. I think my entire hormonal balance was thrown off from being pregnant. I got my IUD when my babe was 6 weeks old.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:20 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

simplybecause81 wrote:
Ugh on the pill I had like no cramping practically ever. I'm now on my first period post mirena insertion and yikes. Not as bad of cramping as the day of insertion but man, a lot more cramping than I've had in a long time. Does it get better? My period is also a week early to boot, and it seems like the first 3 months are the worse then things get lots better, right? I'm a wimp when it comes to pain, so knowing I don't have to deal with this for long would be greeat.

I'm getting really bad cramps too & this is my second period since the insertion. It's nowhere near as heavy as the first one (which was pretty ridiculous!), I'd say it's about the same as when I was on the pill. I've never needed pain killers for cramps before but yesterday I had to take paracetamol & codeine AND ibuprofen to deal with them. I'm also hoping that it'll get better after 3 months or so like the doc's said it would.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:50 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

My doctor is having me come in for an ultrasound this week to make sure my Paragard is in the proper place. I have only had a handful of periods since I got it in March of 2009. I don't follow the logic of it, but I'm no doctor either.

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I am at my 5-year mark with my IUD next month... that means removal and I'm not liking the sound of it!

So everyone on the boards here has talked about insertion (mine was hell - I was throwing up from it and I have a very high pain tolerance, it was sooo worth it though). Has anyone had one removed and then immediately get a new one put in? I'm tempted to get the mirena out and get a paraguard put in. Kids are a slight possibility but not for another year or so at least and I don't want to do pills/ring/shots, condoms are being considered, but I don't like how condoms feel... so it sounds like either abstinence (ha, yeah right) or another IUD that could possibly be shorter-term is the way to go.

So has anyone done a removal/insertion same day? Should I do it two different days? I guess I should ask my doctor, I just don't like him all that much but am too lazy to find a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Pi. wrote:
So has anyone done a removal/insertion same day? Should I do it two different days? I guess I should ask my doctor, I just don't like him all that much but am too lazy to find a new one.

I'm having problems with the string on mine, so my doctor said she would remove it and insert a new one in the same session. I'm guessing it's pretty normal. I would do it! If you are already at the doctors office, there's already a speculum in you, and you are already going to feel something coming out, you might as well have him/her slide the new one in!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

graffitipassion wrote:
Pi. wrote:

I'm having problems with the string on mine, so my doctor said she would remove it and insert a new one in the same session. I'm guessing it's pretty normal. I would do it! If you are already at the doctors office, there's already a speculum in you, and you are already going to feel something coming out, you might as well have him/her slide the new one in!

I belong to the livejournal community IUD_Divas, and from the posts there it seems like it's standard practice to remove/insert in the same session. And I've heard removal and reinsertion isn't as painful or crampy as the initial insertion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm thinking seriously about getting an IUD, but I'm really worried about the pain and change of period heaviness, etc. RIght now I get my period pretty regularly and I usually only have it for 3-4 days, being pretty light after the first day. Condoms make sex a lot less enjoyable for me, especially since a lot of spermicides/lubes that are on condoms irritate my ladyparts. I would get a non-hormonal one. Any tips or anything? I'm a bit lost.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pi. wrote:
I am at my 5-year mark with my IUD next month... that means removal and I'm not liking the sound of it!

So everyone on the boards here has talked about insertion (mine was hell - I was throwing up from it and I have a very high pain tolerance, it was sooo worth it though). Has anyone had one removed and then immediately get a new one put in? I'm tempted to get the mirena out and get a paraguard put in. Kids are a slight possibility but not for another year or so at least and I don't want to do pills/ring/shots, condoms are being considered, but I don't like how condoms feel... so it sounds like either abstinence (ha, yeah right) or another IUD that could possibly be shorter-term is the way to go.

Yes, I think you should get both the same day! If only because that way there's no lapse in protection. Bring it up explicitely beforehand, though ; I've heard of doctors trying to milk their patients by making them pay for 2 different sessions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

pranaferox wrote:
I'm thinking seriously about getting an IUD, but I'm really worried about the pain and change of period heaviness, etc. RIght now I get my period pretty regularly and I usually only have it for 3-4 days, being pretty light after the first day. Condoms make sex a lot less enjoyable for me, especially since a lot of spermicides/lubes that are on condoms irritate my ladyparts. I would get a non-hormonal one. Any tips or anything? I'm a bit lost.

Your worries are the same as mine, and even though I had a decent amount of discomfort and it took 2 tries to get it to work I am really happy with it and so is my partner.

I had my first period about a week after insertion and it wasn't too bad but I had also had quite a bit of bleeding in the middle of my cycle because of all the messing around they were doing.

Overall, I'm happy with it and will deal with heavier periods if it means that I don't have to worry about pregnancy and it makes being spontaneous a lot more... spontaneous...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

vegetalion wrote:
And I've heard removal and reinsertion isn't as painful or crampy as the initial insertion.

This is awesome to hear! I'm still taking someone with me this time... I'm amazed I got myself home okay last time. My boyfriend will be happy to escort me and do his small part toward me/him remaining baby-free.
aelle wrote:
Yes, I think you should get both the same day! If only because that way there's no lapse in protection. Bring it up explicitely beforehand, though ; I've heard of doctors trying to milk their patients by making them pay for 2 different sessions.

The lapse in protection did enter my mind, babies are not in my immediate future! I'll definitely make sure the doc knows that I want both done at one visit... no reason to pay 2 copays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:43 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Pi. wrote:
no reason to pay 2 copays.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

pranaferox wrote:

These were exactly my thoughts before getting mine; in fact, your ladyparts sound like they work very much the same way mine did, both in terms of periods and in not liking condoms. I got the nonhormonal one (Paragard), and I LOVE it. My difference is now instead of a 4-day period, I have a 5-day one, and whereas I used to get REALLY BAD CRAMPS for 1 day at the start of each period, I now have mild cramps for 3 days. So no major increase in pain, and only 1 extra day of bleeding. It was totally worth it for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:48 pm 
Huffs Nooch

graffitipassion wrote:
Pi. wrote:

I had problems with my strings. My Dr supposedly left them long-ish but my IUD got sucked up into my uterus thus leaving my strings sticking STRAIGHT OUT (and really pokey). I had the strings trimmed super super short-almost all the way off and no more pokey business.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next