| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:40 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Update- 2 years in to Paraguard. I love IUD's so much, I had my 17 year old get a Mirena. That being said, it's time for my Paraguard to come out. The periods are actually getting heavier and more painful, instead of less, and I'm simply tired. Of course, I'm also 37 and considering permanent measures. Would I recommend it? Absolutely. Especially to someone planning to have kids 'someday'. I think I'm just at a different phase in my life.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm having a paraguard IUD placed next week. I had a mirena but I was constantly bleeding on it and ended up with vaginosis because the PH in the region was all wacky and allowed for lots of bacterial growth. So, I had it pulled and went on depo. That turned out to be a horrible decision...

I know that the flow will be heavier, and I'm prepared for that. I am really hoping there isn't intermittent bleeding, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:28 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

vijita wrote:
I'm really glad I went with the copper IUD. Lots and lots of pain for a time is still > than weird unpredictable reactions to hormones, for me anyway.

This. The temporary discomfort is nothing once you've survived it and then it's just all awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Una wrote:
I know that the flow will be heavier, and I'm prepared for that. I am really hoping there isn't intermittent bleeding, though.

The first couple months are a little unpredictable, but after that my period was pretty predictable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Nicole wrote:
vijita wrote:
I'm really glad I went with the copper IUD. Lots and lots of pain for a time is still > than weird unpredictable reactions to hormones, for me anyway.

This. The temporary discomfort is nothing once you've survived it and then it's just all awesome.

Yes! I was just saying the other day how the actual day of insertion really, really sucked. But never for a SECOND have I regretted my decision, it's just been plain awesome since then.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

And actually, I've come to appreciate the ovulation cramps. It's a nice sign of exactly what to expect, and as someone who kind of sucks at keeping track of time, I'm glad my ovaries are all over it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Does anyone have experience with absolutely awful PMS and an IUD? While I'd like the nonhormonal one, I know it wouldn't do anything for the emotional symptoms of PMS and would probably make the physical ones worse. So...would having a Mirena help with horrendous mood swings and anxiety and cramps?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:43 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Anyone else missed a period on the coil? Please say you have. I'm about to make 'the trip' to the chemists. Eurgh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have, and my doctor says that its a pretty normal thing to have happen. It doesn't necessarily mean you're pregnant so don't get ahead of yourself worrying or something.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Me too, my doctor said it wasn't a big deal.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:59 pm 
Chard Martyr

Everyone seems to love the IUD. Is it really super amazing? I'm awful with birth control, which is why I was on Depo for years. It was just easier than the pill. I loved not getting my period for years, too. Now the period is back, and that's fine, because it's light (3-5 days; 2 days, really, then just barely there). I am very hesitant to start putting hormones back into my body (via pills) but I need some sort of birth control. If planned parenthood deems an IUD not too expensive (I don't have insurance right now), what types of things should I be asking myself to know if an IUD is right for me? Is it going to make me have an awful period? Educate me. (Yes, I read the whole thread, but I need it broken down, ladies. There is so much information.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The problem with IUDs is that every woman's body seems to react differently, so it's really hard to know until you have one in you how that particular kind will work for you.

BUT, if you're interested, there are two options: Hormonal (Mirena if you're in the US), which releases a smaller amount of hormones than most other HBCs directly into the uterus; and non-hormonal (Paragard if you're in the US), which is flexible copper-wrapped plastic.

The hormonal and the nonhormonal IUDs seem to have pretty different side effects; I'd recommend looking at the IUD community on livejournal, where different people have posted their insertion experiences, questions, and monthly/yearly check-ins. You'll see a wide range of experiences in the posts (and even more in the comments). Remember as you read that it's essentially an "insert it and forget it" form of birth control, so if all is going well, people usually don't think to write forum/livejournal posts about it. So if it seems like bad experiences happen more often than good, it's certainly because people are more likely to post about bad things than good.

I have had an easy time with my Paragard; my period only extends one day and now that I'm up to the 6-month mark, it seems to be going back to normal. Though my cramps last longer, they are actually less painful than my pre-IUD cramps. I'm really happy with this form of birth control.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 pm 
protein lump

planned parenthood also has a really good break down of IUDs and birth control in general.

like vegetalion said, it's hard to know how it's going to work for you since everyone's experience is different. i've had mine for 3 1/2 years and i love it. i'm super happy with how it's working out even though i've had a few weird bleeding episodes. overall, the cramps are the same (virtually non-existent) and my period is maybe a day or two longer, though not any heavier. it's nice not to have to think about taking pills or remembering to buy condoms or worry about hormones or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:52 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thank you for the extra information and sites, ladies! I'll go check them out!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm making an appointment to talk about getting an IUD fitted this week. This thread has been incredibly helpful, so thanks guys!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:29 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I am so excited I could pee!

I got my Mirena 5 years ago, and my insurance didn't cover it. I still think it was totally worth it and I don't regret it at all.

Well, the expiration date is early March, so I just called my university student health services to get an appointment to get the sucker pulled. Then I called my insurance to see if I can get a new one covered--not only are they covering the office visit, they're covering 80% of the cost of the Mirena!

So on Thursday I'm getting my old Mirena pulled and a new one popped in to replace it!

I AM SO EXCITED.

Even though I haven't had a boyfriend in forever so having an IUD is kinda pointless. I don't care. I am running on the supposition that taking one out and immediately replacing it with a new one will mean less of an adjustment period for my body, because it's used to the Mirena being there. We'll see. I hope I'm not wrong.

Either way... this is the first time in my life I've had an expensive medical thing actually be covered by my insurance. I don't know how to handle it. I feel like I live in a first world country. It's awesome.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:55 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

DarthCupcake wrote:
Well, the expiration date is early March, so I just called my university student health services to get an appointment to get the sucker pulled. Then I called my insurance to see if I can get a new one covered--not only are they covering the office visit, they're covering 80% of the cost of the Mirena!

Lucky! That is so awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

kale is your friend wrote:
I can't decide if this thread has made me more or less intimidated by the idea of getting an IUD. I'd definitely get the non-hormonal copper version (if I wanted extra hormones in my body, I'd just take BC), but I'm really, really bothered by the idea of spotting in between periods and of my (extremely predictable, 4-day) periods being longer/heavier.

I guess it's a preferable option to using condoms for the next six years (til I turn 30 and would have an easier time finding someone to tie my tubes) though, since I'm adamantly opposed to the idea of hormonal BC and also to the idea of ever being pregnant under any circumstances...

I've never had spotting in between my periods (I have Paragard). My periods did get a little heavier but nothing that I couldn't handle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm 30 minutes away from having my IUD removed. YAY. That being said, I still thing everyone should try it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:24 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thursday is my rescheduled IUD insertion date! Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:50 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I got the Paragaurd inserted in January and wrote about it on here. The insertion was fine but I HAVE HAD very unpredictable bleeding. 2 weeks after my period + insertion, I had 3-4 days of bleeding, followed by my usual period 2 weeks later. This included a really heavy day both times which I had never experienced pre-IUD. I also have a lot of spotting, which isn't even tampon worthy, but again, I don't think I spotted once a day in my life prior to the IUD. ALSO, I sometime bleed after sex now. Haha... on the bright side, my cramps are worse than they had been pre-IUD, but they're still not bad. My final complaint is that my partner complains of "feeling it". He says it feels like a piece of metal jabbing him. That makes me awful. I must go get the strings cut a bit more. I hope the jabbing doesn't continue and then begin to interfere with our sex life.

All in all, despite these complaints, I am very happy I have the IUD and a life without condoms and hormones. I very rarely even think about the IUD. I can deal with the additional bleeding and am hopeful this goes away with time. My only real concern is it causing pain for my partner and eventually damaging our sex life! So Sad!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, update on my Mirena switcheroo.

So after they replaced the Mirena that had the too-short strings with a Mirena with a long string, my boyfriend and I had very gentle sex 3 days later. He didn't feel the string at all! Which is great! (The next few times he felt it, but it didn't poke him like before).

The weird thing is that I've had my period for about 2 weeks now. It went from almost black to very very light red/brown (where I'm at right now).

I guess I think it's weird because I had the old one pulled and the new one inserted on the same day. So I figured there wouldn't be too much of a gap with the hormones. Since I hadn't had a period in 4-5 months, I thought my periods has stopped completely and I was done with those. But I guess the switch of the Mirena's shook things up a bit! Just wanted people to know (esp DarthCupcake! Im happy for you!) in case it happens to them. I haven't contacted my gyno because almost every doctor has told me as long as I'm not soaking through pads than I'm probably fine. It's almost gone anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I have a consultation appointment today! I'm a little nervous about heavier periods (I'm doing Paragard) and the strings poking my guy, but mostly I'm excited at the idea of being condom free. I'm hoping the insertion won't be too bad... I arranged a ride home from the clinic, but I wish I could get my mitts on a Vicodin or something. Heh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I got my Paragard inserted today! I arrived back home from my appointment maybe 30 minutes ago? My gyn and her assistant were super helpful and nice and gave me a play-by-play of what they were doing which was awesome, plus the assistant let me squeeze her hand when the actual insertion went down (because that shiitake was painful!) I'm cramping on and off fairly badly but I'm just sitting in my bed PPKing with a heating pad on my belly and a kitty to my side, so all is well! My gyn told me not to have sex for two weeks! Ugh, I hope this cramping goes away.. Though I was imagining worse.
Yay Paragard! (so far..)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:08 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

graffitipassion wrote:
Okay, update on my Mirena switcheroo.

So after they replaced the Mirena that had the too-short strings with a Mirena with a long string, my boyfriend and I had very gentle sex 3 days later. He didn't feel the string at all! Which is great! (The next few times he felt it, but it didn't poke him like before).

The weird thing is that I've had my period for about 2 weeks now. It went from almost black to very very light red/brown (where I'm at right now).

I guess I think it's weird because I had the old one pulled and the new one inserted on the same day. So I figured there wouldn't be too much of a gap with the hormones. Since I hadn't had a period in 4-5 months, I thought my periods has stopped completely and I was done with those. But I guess the switch of the Mirena's shook things up a bit! Just wanted people to know (esp DarthCupcake! Im happy for you!) in case it happens to them. I haven't contacted my gyno because almost every doctor has told me as long as I'm not soaking through pads than I'm probably fine. It's almost gone anyway!

Ooh, thanks for the heads up! I'm scheduled for next Friday, and I'm super excited, but I will definitely be prepared for the potential for blood!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 30  Next