| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 29  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:50 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:44 pm
Posts: 1394
Location: Boston, MA
My IUD is out! Gone. I sorta miss it, not it really, but the idea of it. I have a huge box of Glyde condoms on their way to me (and some condoms I got crossing the border to South Africa handy if I need one before the Glyde get here).

I felt crampy and a bit nauseous getting it removed, but nothing nearly as bad as insertion. I had some wonton soup and that made me feel a lot better. Now, 6 hours later, I feel just a tiny bit crampy.

It was a nice 5 years MIrena and I had together. I'm not on hormonal BC for the 1st time in 14 years!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 pm 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:26 pm
Posts: 208
Location: ITH
sooo it has been about 3 months since insertion, and I'm pretty sure that my period has already gone MIA with my mirena. I've had nothing since my initial first one after insertion during my spotting phase. Not sure how I feel about this quite yet.

Also, I'm having loads of trouble with chin acne. I've never had issues there before! So annoying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:42 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 pm
Posts: 702
Location: nyc
So I've had my Paragard in for about 35 hours now and the cramping is still pretty bad. If I'm standing up I have to curl up on the floor or hunch over and hug my stomach. There has been a bit of bleeding, but mostly only when I wipe. Earlier today I thought that the cramps had gotten better but they are feeling as intense as yesterday's cramps now :(. I want this pain to go away! Advil is not helping much.

_________________
Formerly known as alphonesemambo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:53 pm
Posts: 1564
pranaferox wrote:
So I've had my Paragard in for about 35 hours now and the cramping is still pretty bad. If I'm standing up I have to curl up on the floor or hunch over and hug my stomach. There has been a bit of bleeding, but mostly only when I wipe. Earlier today I thought that the cramps had gotten better but they are feeling as intense as yesterday's cramps now :(. I want this pain to go away! Advil is not helping much.


I'm so sorry, that sounds terrible. I used a heating pad ...it was physically but also psychologically comforting. I hope that stops soon!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:15 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Hamburg, Germany
simplybecause81 wrote:
Also, I'm having loads of trouble with chin acne. I've never had issues there before! So annoying.


Gah! I have this too. I'm sorry to say that my skin problems have not cleared up in the 2 years it's been since insertion. My skin was perfect pre-BC and on the pill, and now my face is messed up. I hope you have better luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:21 pm 
Offline
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3178
Location: San Francisco
graffitipassion wrote:
pranaferox wrote:
So I've had my Paragard in for about 35 hours now and the cramping is still pretty bad. If I'm standing up I have to curl up on the floor or hunch over and hug my stomach. There has been a bit of bleeding, but mostly only when I wipe. Earlier today I thought that the cramps had gotten better but they are feeling as intense as yesterday's cramps now :(. I want this pain to go away! Advil is not helping much.


I'm so sorry, that sounds terrible. I used a heating pad ...it was physically but also psychologically comforting. I hope that stops soon!


I second a heating pad. That did wonders for me.

Also, keep well hydrated, and get lots of potassium. Uterine cramps are essentially muscle cramps, so you can help calm them in the same way as you can assuage other cramps.

And finally, my doctor who did my insertion strongly encouraged Aleve. Apparently it has different anti-inflammatory stuff than other pain pills, and whatever it has can really help more than most options.

_________________
Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist
Keep loving, keep fighting

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 pm
Posts: 702
Location: nyc
Can I get some input? I think I may have gotten my period today, but since it's been just a little bit bloody down there since I got my IUD I'm not sure! My schedule is fairly irregular, but this seems like it could be my period. The only reason I'm a little bit dubious is because it's not exactly a "flow" if you will.. Also the cramps are back and they were pretty subdued for the past day or two. I don't know what to think!

_________________
Formerly known as alphonesemambo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:42 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Seattle
I'm getting my IUD on Friday! My doctor said to get it inserted while I'm on my period... did anyone else do that? My period is unpredictable, so I don't know if I'll actually have it on Friday, but they also said to make my appointment a few days in advance, so I had to guess.

Also, if any of you had a problem with too-long strings at first, did your guy experience actual pain from the strings poking him, or was it more of just a weird sensation? I'm hoping it's not an issue, but I'd like to warn my fella, just in case.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:41 pm 
Offline
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 am
Posts: 2116
Location: Munich, finally!
I also got mine inserted during my period, apparently the cervix is already dilated for the period and therefore the insertion is much easier. I barely felt it.

However I use the mooncup and I'm afraid I half-pulled out my IUD while removing it yesterday! One of the strings is now really really long, and it certainly wasn't so before. I tried to call the doctor today but he was closed because of Carnival (at least I hope he's not on vacation!). I'll try again tomorrow.
I remember someone upthread said she expelled her IUD in her mooncup, I'm wondering if maybe we can just push the strings back in. It doesn't hurt as if the IUD was actually half way down my cervix, so I hope it's possible. It was in such a perfect position!

_________________
I dunno, I guess I just get enthused over eating big ol' squishy balls. - Interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:11 pm 
Offline
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3178
Location: San Francisco
cherryblossom wrote:
I'm getting my IUD on Friday! My doctor said to get it inserted while I'm on my period... did anyone else do that? My period is unpredictable, so I don't know if I'll actually have it on Friday, but they also said to make my appointment a few days in advance, so I had to guess.

Also, if any of you had a problem with too-long strings at first, did your guy experience actual pain from the strings poking him, or was it more of just a weird sensation? I'm hoping it's not an issue, but I'd like to warn my fella, just in case.


I got my first insertion on my period. Like Anek said, the cervix is generally lower, softer, and more dilated then, so it's easier.

My strings are actually pretty long, and I like them that way! When they're long, they can curl around the cervix and be out of the way, whereas when they're shorter, THAT'S when they get stabby. Sort of like stubble vs. longer hair--stubble is scratchy, longer hair is softer and lays flat instead of sticking out.

It's probably good to warn the manfriend just in case, because a) unpleasant surprises are unpleasant and b) if he feels something, you can totally tuck your strings up out of the way yourself. I find the easiest way to do this is to squat a little (it makes the vaginal canal shorter) so that my fingers can reach up to my cervix. Slide in one, maybe two fingers, and just gently push my strings out of the way.

Within fairly short order, my strings got soft and now they're kind of hibernating in a nice cuddly snuggie of cervical goo that keeps them right up there and no one ever knows they're there.

_________________
Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist
Keep loving, keep fighting

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:55 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Seattle
Thanks for the info! The bit about the longer strings being less pokey makes sense. It's such a weird concept to me, since I don't think I've ever knowingly felt my cervix, so the idea that it's within reach and I could just push the strings out of the way is totally strange. But reassuring!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:34 am 
Offline
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3178
Location: San Francisco
cherryblossom wrote:
Thanks for the info! The bit about the longer strings being less pokey makes sense. It's such a weird concept to me, since I don't think I've ever knowingly felt my cervix, so the idea that it's within reach and I could just push the strings out of the way is totally strange. But reassuring!


From what I understand, our cervixes (cervices?) are generally fairly low and within reach of our fingertips (I usually have to use my middle finger to reach). However, as we get aroused, they rise up (like cake!) and the vagina elongates. So, strings will also be less poky/feelable the more turned on you are.

Bodies are such neat things!

_________________
Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist
Keep loving, keep fighting

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:53 pm
Posts: 1564
DarthCupcake wrote:
cherryblossom wrote:
Thanks for the info! The bit about the longer strings being less pokey makes sense. It's such a weird concept to me, since I don't think I've ever knowingly felt my cervix, so the idea that it's within reach and I could just push the strings out of the way is totally strange. But reassuring!


From what I understand, our cervixes (cervices?) are generally fairly low and within reach of our fingertips (I usually have to use my middle finger to reach). However, as we get aroused, they rise up (like cake!) and the vagina elongates. So, strings will also be less poky/feelable the more turned on you are.

Bodies are such neat things!


Haha...so true.

I'm going to feel around for my strings today. I can't believe I haven't done it yet!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:24 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 pm
Posts: 702
Location: nyc
During my insertion, after the gyn cut my strings, she gave one to me so that I would know what I was feeling for. My first thought was "Oh! These feel just like cat whiskers!" I think that response made them feel a little awkward when I said it out loud.. My boyfriend felt for them a few days later and agreed on the cat whisker thing hehehhe.

_________________
Formerly known as alphonesemambo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:20 pm 
Offline
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 am
Posts: 2116
Location: Munich, finally!
Ouch ouch ouch. So somehow I did really pull the IUD halfway down my cervix and it hurt like hell pushing it back up. Now let's hope it stays where it is.

_________________
I dunno, I guess I just get enthused over eating big ol' squishy balls. - Interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:17 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:53 pm
Posts: 1564
Anek wrote:
Ouch ouch ouch. So somehow I did really pull the IUD halfway down my cervix and it hurt like hell pushing it back up. Now let's hope it stays where it is.


Damn, girl! That's crazy. I can't believe you were able to push it back up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:34 pm 
Offline
protein lump
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:47 am
Posts: 2492
Location: providence via jersey
i would go get that checked out by your doctor. if the placement is incorrect, the device can be less effective.

_________________
I'm one of those vegans that cuts corners when it comes to things like breastfeeding and stabbing you in the face~Pranjal
That story would be adorable if it didn't end with herpes. ~Mo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:07 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: Boston
DarthCupcake wrote:
cherryblossom wrote:
However, as we get aroused, they rise up (like cake!) and the vagina elongates.


Ha! I actually think of it as retracting (like claws!) instead of rising like cake, but maybe I'm just more into monsters than cake.

Is it gross that this thread makes me want to make cake?

_________________
http://vegetalion.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:11 pm 
Offline
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3178
Location: San Francisco
vegetalion wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:
cherryblossom wrote:
However, as we get aroused, they rise up (like cake!) and the vagina elongates.


Ha! I actually think of it as retracting (like claws!) instead of rising like cake, but maybe I'm just more into monsters than cake.

Is it gross that this thread makes me want to make cake?


I prefer to think of my vagina as a delicious dessert as opposed to a terrifying pointy monster, but that's just a personal preference and all.

Old IUD is out, new one is in. In a word: ouchies. All things considered, though, the situation is pretty decent. These are not NEARLY as bad as the cramps I had when I got my first one, so I will consider this a win.

_________________
Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist
Keep loving, keep fighting

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:44 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Seattle
Had my IUD inserted a couple of hours ago. It mostly just felt like bad period cramps, but there were two instances of about 30 seconds of pain that were unlike anything I've felt before. Holy forking ouch! But the pain subsided to no big deal within a very short time, and now it's just a minor discomfort. I'm pretty happy with how it went!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:39 pm 
Offline
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 am
Posts: 2116
Location: Munich, finally!
graffitipassion wrote:
Anek wrote:
Ouch ouch ouch. So somehow I did really pull the IUD halfway down my cervix and it hurt like hell pushing it back up. Now let's hope it stays where it is.


Damn, girl! That's crazy. I can't believe you were able to push it back up!


esme wrote:
i would go get that checked out by your doctor. if the placement is incorrect, the device can be less effective.


Oh, I didn't do it myself, I went to the doctor. Luckily he had a spot available. Strangely enough even though I was in the middle of my period, after the whole thing the bleeding completely stopped for two days and then I had one afternoon of light bleeding.

_________________
I dunno, I guess I just get enthused over eating big ol' squishy balls. - Interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:01 am 
Offline
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3178
Location: San Francisco
cherryblossom wrote:
Had my IUD inserted a couple of hours ago. It mostly just felt like bad period cramps, but there were two instances of about 30 seconds of pain that were unlike anything I've felt before. Holy forking ouch! But the pain subsided to no big deal within a very short time, and now it's just a minor discomfort. I'm pretty happy with how it went!


Hooray, congrats!

So far my new insertion seems to have pretty much followed my hypothesis--there were about two instances of those 30 seconds of insane pain during the sounding and then the insertion, but once that was over, I lay on the exam table for about 15 minutes, they gave me some water, and I was fine to walk home (albeit slowly). Within about half of hour of eating a nice hefty dinner at home, I felt much better, and within a half hour of feeling better, I was completely back to normal. I've had zero cramps, zero pain, and only had a tiny bit of spotting for about an hour yesterday immediately following the insertion. Heck yeah!

Anek wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
Anek wrote:
Ouch ouch ouch. So somehow I did really pull the IUD halfway down my cervix and it hurt like hell pushing it back up. Now let's hope it stays where it is.


Damn, girl! That's crazy. I can't believe you were able to push it back up!


esme wrote:
i would go get that checked out by your doctor. if the placement is incorrect, the device can be less effective.


Oh, I didn't do it myself, I went to the doctor. Luckily he had a spot available. Strangely enough even though I was in the middle of my period, after the whole thing the bleeding completely stopped for two days and then I had one afternoon of light bleeding.


Ooof, that sounds incredibly painful! I'm glad you were able to get it fixed up! But dang.

_________________
Your heart is a muscle the size of a fist
Keep loving, keep fighting

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:12 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: Boston
I just wanted to let you all know that as per Darth Cupcake's comment above--I made cake.

But I still like to think of my vagina as a fierce beast!

_________________
http://vegetalion.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:40 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Seattle
Hmm, I checked for my strings the day after insertion and couldn't find them -- or my cervix at all for that matter. I even tried squatting. Is it possible that I just have a long vajay and I'll never be able to feel them? I will check again, but I don't want to stress myself out too much over it.

Other than that, everything seems to be going great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:37 pm 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 4387
Location: Toronto, ON
vegetalion wrote:
But I still like to think of my vagina as a fierce beast!


I love this.

_________________
I like my bagels like I like my men - big and covered with earth balance & nooch. - Bunniee

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 29  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer