| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

cherryblossom wrote:
Hmm, I checked for my strings the day after insertion and couldn't find them -- or my cervix at all for that matter. I even tried squatting. Is it possible that I just have a long vajay and I'll never be able to feel them? I will check again, but I don't want to stress myself out too much over it.

Other than that, everything seems to be going great.

Short fingers/long vagina. That should be a parody of a Cake song.
There, I've made references to everything I love about this page of posts.

Anyway, I can barely touch the strings on mine, but my husband can find it easily enough. Do you have a partner you could ask to check it for you? If not, just wait for the doc to check the placement. Some people can't find their strings.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:13 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Does anyone have an IUD AND use a diva cup? I want to get one, but the box says not to, though some doctors say it's perfectly okay. I asked the same question on the diva cup thread because I'm hoping to find someone who has used both at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

radish wrote:
Does anyone have an IUD AND use a diva cup? I want to get one, but the box says not to, though some doctors say it's perfectly okay. I asked the same question on the diva cup thread because I'm hoping to find someone who has used both at the same time.

I used the two of them together for a year without problems. I think I skipped the first cycle post insertion, because I was nervous, but once I was familiar with the IUD I used the cup carefully, and all was good.

Now my Mirena has reduced my flow so much that a cup is overkill.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

aelle wrote:
I used the two of them together for a year without problems. I think I skipped the first cycle post insertion, because I was nervous, but once I was familiar with the IUD I used the cup carefully, and all was good.

Oh good, I'll try diva cup then!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:53 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I've used the cup for both cycles since insertion and had no issues the fist cycle and during the second I think I pinched the strings while removing the cup and pulled the IUD halfway down. I'm not sure the cup was the culprit, but I can't think of any other way the IUD could have come down. My doc says the cup should be ok to use, but he had never seen one before I showed him mine. I think I'll try cotton pads next cycle just to be safe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My libido is MIA. I suspect the hormones in my Mirena are not so fun for me. I always did super well on estrogen-dominant BC, and loss of, er, appetite is not the only sign I have a bad progestogen-dominant profile (I've been getting more hairy and zitty too). Urgh. There are probably other factors at play too, like fatigue and stress from work, but dammit, I want to want to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:40 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Oooh, I'm sorry aelle! I thought the Mirena hormones were really low...much lower than even "normal" hormonal bc since it's localized. I wonder what's going on?

My libido has been going down lately too...but my life has also gotten really stressful. I'm guessing it's the stress...at least for me. I hope it works out for the both of us. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:24 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My libido sucks lately too! It's bumming me out. But I have a copper IUD, so there's no correlation there. I'm trying to exercise more...that usually helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:45 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I got my Paragard almost 3 years ago and I love it. I have never had a problem with it. I even got it free cause I was a poor college student at the time, talk about 10 years of free birth control!!

Anyway, I would love to be able to use the divacup but like others have heard that it's a no-go. Hmm.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:30 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I had a mirena put in about 3 weeks ago... The actual insertion wasn't too painful
but for 2 weeks solid now, I've been having the worst pain ever... and I have quite a high tolerance for pain. I've been taking painkillers EVERY day for about 2 weeks, even though I hate taking painkillers unless it's totally necessary...
every day I've tried to push past the pain, but I think it's just the type of pain, I *need* the painkillers in order to function normally... I've made it to about 5 pm without them, when my flatmate made me take some because I was doubled over in tears.
I've been trying to get an appt to see a dr since last week, but I wasn't registered on the NHS, and then when I finally did get an appt, I overslept (grargh) and the next available appt isn't for another week!!!

*dies*

ugh... And I've bled EVERY DAY since having the damn thing put in. The woman warned me about irregular bleeding, but she described it as "likely to be sporadic". Not constant! I'm also super, super tired, possibly because I've been losing blood for 3 weeks :/ (eta: i've been losing blood longer than that actually, because I had the mirena inserted the day after my period ended, so I'd already been bleeding for a week. Holy crepe I've been bleeding for a month O.o )

I wonder if I can blame this rant on the tiny dose of hormones? hah.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Titchus wrote:
I had a mirena put in about 3 weeks ago... The actual insertion wasn't too painful
but for 2 weeks solid now, I've been having the worst pain ever... and I have quite a high tolerance for pain. I've been taking painkillers EVERY day for about 2 weeks, even though I hate taking painkillers unless it's totally necessary...
every day I've tried to push past the pain, but I think it's just the type of pain, I *need* the painkillers in order to function normally... I've made it to about 5 pm without them, when my flatmate made me take some because I was doubled over in tears.
I've been trying to get an appt to see a dr since last week, but I wasn't registered on the NHS, and then when I finally did get an appt, I overslept (grargh) and the next available appt isn't for another week!!!

*dies*

ugh... And I've bled EVERY DAY since having the damn thing put in. The woman warned me about irregular bleeding, but she described it as "likely to be sporadic". Not constant! I'm also super, super tired, possibly because I've been losing blood for 3 weeks :/ (eta: i've been losing blood longer than that actually, because I had the mirena inserted the day after my period ended, so I'd already been bleeding for a week. Holy crepe I've been bleeding for a month O.o )

That kind of pain doesn't sound normal. Maybe the IUD wasn't inserted properly, or maybe you are in the process of expulsing it. Sorry it's not working out!
I had long bleedings/spotting for a good while after my insertion, and some cramping, but nothing like you describe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Titchus wrote:

*dies*

Yeah, I agree with aelle that there probably is something wrong. Can you call a hotline and ask a nurse some questions? A health clinic? I'm not sure what's available in your area, but I know many hospitals/insurance companies/free clinics have 24 hour hotlines. I think there is a "not okay" amount of bleeding...something like soaking 3 pads a day. But I'm not sure which is why you should try to check. I'm glad you have an appointment soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:54 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks both of you.

I phoned the out of hours hotline last week, the nurse had a checklist of symptoms and such. She did give me an appt at the hospital with the out of hours dr (at 2am the same night), but I went to the wrong hospital (I'm an idiot). By the time I'd figured out that I'd come to the wrong place and an ambulance driver laughed in my face, I was too tired and grumpy to go to the right place, wait for the next slot since I missed mine, etc.. So i just went home and decided to wait for an appt with a regular GP...

And then missed my appt. d'oh.

So I'm just hoping my body isn't rejecting it... I really don't want to have to go on the pill again.

(end of self-pitying)
Although, if I do have to go back on the pill,
Has anyone tried any sort of dietary supplements to counteract the libido-dampening effects of birth control?? Could such a thing work? I can't find any reliable information that isn't given by the manufacturers of such supplements...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:08 am 
protein lump

wait. why do you keep missing appointments? i don't mean to sound harsh, but this sounds pretty serious and it doesn't sound like you're really taking it that seriously? can you not set an alarm or something?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:24 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So I'm on my second period while having the Paragard and I'm worried. I started using my diva cup on Sunday, as I did Pre-IUD and it seemed fine up until this morning when I woke up around 3:00 and I was in a lot of pain. The pain is still here a few hours later, though sporadically. I checked for my strings while sitting on the toilet and I could feel them quite well. I've never been able ti feel them so well (though I've only checked for them standing up) and I'm kind of reassuring myself that it was just the positioning + my cervix being low due to having my period. I'm on day 3 of my period and I got my Paragard in about 5 weeks ago. What do you guys think? Did I make it shift out-of-place?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm 
Tofu Pup

My sister had an IUD years ago. I think it was the metal kind. She was an actress who was taking classes at a circus school. She fell off the trapeze. The IUD broke inside her. She got blood poisoning and almost died. That's all I know about IUD's. They're probably better made these days. Of course it's also a good idea not to fall off a trapeze!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:49 pm 
protein lump

um. thanks?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm trying to decide whether that post is too long to sig.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:02 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

pranaferox wrote:
So I'm on my second period while having the Paragard and I'm worried. I started using my diva cup on Sunday, as I did Pre-IUD and it seemed fine up until this morning when I woke up around 3:00 and I was in a lot of pain. The pain is still here a few hours later, though sporadically. I checked for my strings while sitting on the toilet and I could feel them quite well. I've never been able ti feel them so well (though I've only checked for them standing up) and I'm kind of reassuring myself that it was just the positioning + my cervix being low due to having my period. I'm on day 3 of my period and I got my Paragard in about 5 weeks ago. What do you guys think? Did I make it shift out-of-place?

I haven't gotten to my second Paragard period yet, but from what I've read, it sounds pretty normal to still be cramping a lot, and being able to feel your strings better doesn't sound too weird given the circumstances (on your period, sitting vs standing.) If you can't feel the hard plastic of the T itself, then I think generally that means you're good? Have you had a follow up gyno appointment to check the placement? If it's still making you worried after a couple of days, it might not be bad to have a doctor double-check.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:18 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i got a paraguard today! it definitely hurt but not as much as i was prepared for. my doctor was forking rad.

i felt pretty shitty (like nauseated) after they gave me some cervix-dilating drugs while i was waiting for my cervix to open up, but once they put the iud in i felt a lot better. i think a big part of it for me was just nervousness. its only been an hour and a half maybe, but i am feeling surprisingly good! not even crampy yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:33 am 
Spent a summer in Brisbane, hated it

I'm getting my Mirena replaced on Friday. I made the appointment for early in the morning so that in case I'm hurting a bit, I can just lie down for the rest of the day. I've been very happy with the Mirena was not at all hesitant to get another one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm coming up on 8 months with Paragard, and I wanted to let everyone know that ever since month 5, my periods have gone back to their normal pre-IUD length, with medium flow (which is slightly heavier than my previously light periods, but not a big deal). The only differences that still remain are minor cramping and spotting around ovulation. The cramping is really mild, and the spotting isn't even enough to stain my underwear, just some pinkish threads to notice when I wipe (gross? sorry). For the first 3 months, my partner felt the strings once per month (all times at day 19 of my cycle...?), but has never felt them since.

I love this thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The Evil One wrote:
I'm getting my Mirena replaced on Friday. I made the appointment for early in the morning so that in case I'm hurting a bit, I can just lie down for the rest of the day. I've been very happy with the Mirena was not at all hesitant to get another one.

Hope it goes well!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:37 am 
Spent a summer in Brisbane, hated it

graffitipassion wrote:
The Evil One wrote:

Hope it goes well!

Thank you. I just got back and I think I am going to go lie down for a bit. I'm a little crampy right now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:50 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

aelle wrote:
My libido is MIA. I suspect the hormones in my Mirena are not so fun for me. I always did super well on estrogen-dominant BC, and loss of, er, appetite is not the only sign I have a bad progestogen-dominant profile (I've been getting more hairy and zitty too). Urgh. There are probably other factors at play too, like fatigue and stress from work, but dammit, I want to want to do it.

:(

I haven't had any problems yet, and it has been 4.5 months. If anything, my libido is quite high at times. Good think my bf isn't complaining.

I'm still a little uncomfortable about totally relying on my Mirena, so we have a tendency of waffling back and forth as to whether or not we use a condom too...though I must say, the textured condoms from vegan essentials=amazing. (Especially the ribbed one)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next