| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:12 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I got Mirena 3 weeks ago and I hate it. I've had light bleeding every day since it was inserted. I'd really like it to stop.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

aelle wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
I'm getting mine next weekend! The girl on the phone said that I could have a local anaesthesia and when I was like, 'no, I don't think I want that', she was all 'yeah, we would recommend that we put you under with IV sedation anyway'. What? I don't want any of these things! But it seems like it's one or the other, so I guess I'm getting the local (because it's cheaper). I don't really see how getting a needle jammed into my cervix is going to hurt any less than the insertion anyway, and it'll probably take the same amount of time. And the local won't do anything about the cramps, which seems like the hurty part. It all seems dumb.

The part where they have to manually dilate your cervix (by running a hysterometer and then an IUD insertion tube through it) was the most painful part for me, moreso than cramps. But it lasts under a minute. Sedation completely sounds like overkill to me. I had a Xanax and some Ibuprofen, and while it wasn't the most pleasant experience in the world, I can't really see it being improved by extra needle jabs. It seems so odd that the pain relief methods are so varied and so different from one place to the next!

Which kind are you getting?

Yeah, I was so taken aback when she said the stuff about the anasthesia because the only people I've really heard from who have IUDs are PPKers, and no one seems to have been offered anything like that.

I'm getting Multiload, which is the copper one available here. It's like Paragard, but with curved arm-bits. So excited to be off the pill, it's been messing with my sex drive for a while and I'm super over it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:09 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

My doc used local anaesthesia as well and it was no needles, but a little spray. It was great!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:44 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

no anesthesia here, either. i got my paragard 4 1/2 years ago, and they just numbed my cervix with a shot of novacaine (not particularly pleasant) before insertion. the whole process sort of hurt, and i was crampy for a few days, but i love having an iud.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:41 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

dragonssister wrote:
I got Mirena 3 weeks ago and I hate it. I've had light bleeding every day since it was inserted. I'd really like it to stop.

I spotted for a good two months before my body got used to the hormones. It sucked, but after my body got used to the hormones, I have not bled since (going on 11 months now).

The only issue I have with the Mirena is that every time I go to the doctor for blood work/migraine check ups, I have to take a pregnancy test since I no longer menstruate and that freaks the nurses out.

Also, I have another 4 years before I have to get this Mirena replaced, but I do not know how I feel about being on hormonal birth control for a good 10-15+ years. Does anyone else struggle with this? I would love to get the Paraguard instead, however I was advised not to go this route because my periods when I am not on hormonal birth control are extremely heavy (to the point where I would faint from the blood loss). At least I have four years to decide..who knows, maybe more options (non hormonal) for birth control will be offered then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:03 pm 

Ok, now this is getting weird: last year I had a copper IUD inserted, it lasted a few months and then kept sliding down my uterus and I could feel the strings very very long. Once the doc pushed it in again, the second time he took it out and we decided to insert a bigger one. Which we did in july, everything was fine, and two weeks ago I had a check and it was perfectly positioned. Now, last wednesday I get my period and on Thursday I feel for the strings... waaay long again. My cervix was also much lower which I guess is normal during the period. So I thought about calling the doc and fixing it again, but the next morning I check and the strings are much shorter. In the evening, again super long, and the next morning, short again.
Now the bleeding has almost stopped, my cervix is back in place up there, and the strings are nowhere to be felt.

Is this normal? I have never heard of an IUD moving up and down the uterus on its own during menstruation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

If they strings felt longer than normal but your cervix was also in its normal place, I'd worry, but since your cervix was also very low, I'd be inclined to say it is normal. I mean, it may be unusual for you, but it doesn't sound like the IUD's coming out. Periods make our bodies do weird things!

Still, since you've had an issue in the past, talking to your doctor might be a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So, I've had mine for almost 3 years with no problems. The last couple of months my periods have been getting closer together (one at the moment is 14 days early), I've been moodier and spotting after sex. I'm booking in to get it checked out once I stop bleeding this time. Is this normal tho? I have been training a lot lately (between 3 - 5 hours a day), and not always eating enough calories due to veganism and eating clean, but I'm not sure it would be this? I haven't had any problems with exhaustion or anything, but as I'm resuming fighting next year, training is gonna only get tougher, and I don't want to be dealing with bleeding all the time...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:23 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I just had the paragaurd inserted 2 weeks ago & I LOVE it! I am so excited to not have to worry about birth control & so happy to not be on any hormones.

It's so fun!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had the Paraguard inserted in September and I've been experiencing cramps randomly throughout my cycle. My period ended two days ago and today I've been having chronic cramps all day today! They're not bad enough to warrant pain meds but they're sure a nuisance and will happen for a few hours once a week or so and then stop. Does this happen to anyone else or do I just have a weird uterus?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

couroupita wrote:
I had the Paraguard inserted in September and I've been experiencing cramps randomly throughout my cycle. My period ended two days ago and today I've been having chronic cramps all day today! They're not bad enough to warrant pain meds but they're sure a nuisance and will happen for a few hours once a week or so and then stop. Does this happen to anyone else or do I just have a weird uterus?

I cramp a lot too - cervix cramps. They're sharper and more painful than uterus cramps. I'm basically crampy 2 weeks out of 4.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, then maybe they're cervix cramps! I can't really tell the difference except that yeah, these are sharper than normal cramps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:11 pm 
protein lump

yeah i get cervical cramps. i don't get them terribly often, but they're definitely different from uterine cramps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:59 am 

vegetalion wrote:
If they strings felt longer than normal but your cervix was also in its normal place, I'd worry, but since your cervix was also very low, I'd be inclined to say it is normal. I mean, it may be unusual for you, but it doesn't sound like the IUD's coming out. Periods make our bodies do weird things!

Still, since you've had an issue in the past, talking to your doctor might be a good idea.

Thanks Vegetalion! I spoke with the doc and he told me to come in and check. I really hope it's nothing, I'd like to have a worry-free birth control, not one with more hassles than the rest!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:07 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have a copper IUD (similar to Paragard, but it's called something different, I got it in Canada) and I have the odd bout of cervical cramping, but they are usually quite short-lived (10 min or thereabouts).

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Bai wrote:
So, I've had mine for almost 3 years with no problems. The last couple of months my periods have been getting closer together (one at the moment is 14 days early), I've been moodier and spotting after sex. I'm booking in to get it checked out once I stop bleeding this time. Is this normal tho? I have been training a lot lately (between 3 - 5 hours a day), and not always eating enough calories due to veganism and eating clean, but I'm not sure it would be this? I haven't had any problems with exhaustion or anything, but as I'm resuming fighting next year, training is gonna only get tougher, and I don't want to be dealing with bleeding all the time...

I don't know whether/if the IUD can cause that, but I can think of a couple causes off the top of my head that sound likely to you: someone on here (or maybe in the period thread) has pointed out that inadequate iron intake can actually cause more bleeding. If you're working out a lot but not eating a lot, you might not be getting enough iron.

BUT if it's not iron.... stress and/or intensive working out can cause your cycle to go nuts. If it's a recent ramp-up in training, your body could just be trying to adjust.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm not sure if it's my IUD or just my body acting up, but I've spent the past six hours in the fetal position due to cramps. I don't have my period, so I'm assuming it's my IUD?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:29 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

how long have you had your IUD?

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finally got mine today, after having my original appointment pushed back because it conflicted with some of my volunteer work. And holy shiitake, you guys, I think I had the easiest IUD insertion of all time. I had totally psyched myself up to deal with the pain, but there was nothing. I had an injection of novocaine or something similar (I didn't ask) into my cervix- this was the bit I was most worried about, but it didn't feel any different to the pap smear that I had beforehand. Just like getting prodded in there, no sharp pain or anything. I felt a little bit of pressure when the doctor measured my uterus, and then nothing. When she pulled the speculum out after it was all done, I was like, 'you're kidding, right?'.

The nurse was kind of shocked when I stood right up and said I felt fine. She made me go sit in the recovery room for ten minutes and we chatted about stuff and she kept offering me biscuits, then she decided that my body must just be weirdly unconcerned about things like foreign objects in the uterus. So I left, and hopped straight on the bus to work. I had a slight amount of cramping after a couple of hours, nothing really bad but it was a bit distracting (and I am a very important person with very important work to do) so I took some paracetamol and I was fine. I'm home now and I still feel fine, just like I did yesterday. I love you already, IUD.

My only disappointment was that the doctor didn't know anything about menstrual cups when I asked her opinion on using one with an IUD. I know they're not common here, but I was surprised that she didn't know about them. I kind of explained and she was all, 'I don't think that sounds safe', but she wasn't coming from an informed position so I didn't really push it. I might wait until my next period to try it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:56 am 

Glad it went well Erinnerung! Sounds very similar to my (first) insertion as well. My doc also had never seen the mooncup, but he said it should be no problem with the IUD.

I went to see him last week and guess what? The forking IUD had come down again! Wooo! This is the third time, it happened twice with the small one and now with the big one too. The doc pushed it back up (OUCH!!!) and said if it comes down again, then my uterus is just not ok with foreign objects. Grrrr.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Erinnerung wrote:
My only disappointment was that the doctor didn't know anything about menstrual cups when I asked her opinion on using one with an IUD. I know they're not common here, but I was surprised that she didn't know about them. I kind of explained and she was all, 'I don't think that sounds safe', but she wasn't coming from an informed position so I didn't really push it. I might wait until my next period to try it.

I asked my doctor about menstrual cups after she inserted my IUD. She said it was fine to use it and just to take care to not pull on the string when removing it. I've had mine a few months now and have used my cup without any problems so far!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, when I explained it she seemed concerned about the risk of infection from the blood hanging around in there, but she wasn't anti-tampon so her reasoning didn't make sense. I didn't push it. Anyway, my strings seem really short so I think the risk of pulling on them is pretty slim. I'll definitely try it out during my next period- which will be while I'm overseas. Good timing, because I hate dealing with disposable stuff while I'm traveling.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Adding my experience to the mix!

I see a nurse practitioner, she does my paps and did my insertion today. I got a call from the doctor's office a week ago after inquiring about the IUD and they said that my insurance covered it completely (except copay of course) and even though I was told to "double check" with my insurance, I didn't. Oops. Ah well anyways.

Took a generic Advil an hour beforehand. I was pretty nervous. The process was pretty quick, but 3/4 of the way through she stopped to see how I was doing, told her I was really nauseated and so she got distracted sort of, 'til I assured her I could wait until she was done to throw up. Wasn't really certain I could wait but also just wanted to get it over with. So it basically took slightly longer than it needed to, but it was nice she checked on me I guess. Fairly painful (no anesthesia) but the nausea was worse, but I usually feel that way when I get paps but to a lesser extent, so not completely out of the ordinary for me. Anywho, been cramping all day and just been chilling out at home. If I absolutely had to work, I probably could, but very glad I could just veg for a day.

Going back in a month to check the strings. I haven't been brave enough to feel the them myself cuz I'm sore, maybe tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:09 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

clippityclopboom wrote:
Also, I have another 4 years before I have to get this Mirena replaced, but I do not know how I feel about being on hormonal birth control for a good 10-15+ years. Does anyone else struggle with this? I would love to get the Paraguard instead, however I was advised not to go this route because my periods when I am not on hormonal birth control are extremely heavy (to the point where I would faint from the blood loss). At least I have four years to decide..who knows, maybe more options (non hormonal) for birth control will be offered then.

I'm struggling with this question right now too. I don't have a IUD (yet?), but I've been on hormonal birth control since I was 14 (I'm 30 now). I'm very busy atm and my doctor isn't very easy/flexible to get an appointment with... so imagine my horror when I scoured the fridge for a batch of Nuvaring I thought I had and found nothing. This suddenly made me think about if I still want to be on hormones. I've currently not been using anything for a week and a bit. If I get a heavy painful period like I used to, I don't know what I'll do. But if it's lighter, I'm considering getting a copper IUD. Or I might run back to hormones when my face breaks out in zit central.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:10 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm a midwifery student and I did my first IUD insertion yesterday! Just wanted to share my excitement with fellow IUD fans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 29  Next