| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:29 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

AmandaMelanie wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
Holla!

How do you ladies avoid the pain during sex when the angle gets all wonky and just perfect to poke at it?

[...]

I also have a tilted uterus which may have something to do with it.

Check, and check. Tilted uteri unite. (Also, apparently it's rare, so we're very special.) I tend to prefer positions where I have control over the depth of the thrusts, so I can avoid getting poked. It's pretty much my second nature now.

However, despite being a very content Mirena user for 6 years now, some days ago I had the worst Mirena experience ever. It was probably the wrong time in my cycle - low uterus- and an accidental poke, but it felt like my entire Mirena moved around because of it. Which hurt like nothing else in the world can. I spent 30 minutes lying on the bed, nauseous and crying with pain. Which sucked. Has something like this happened to anyone else before?

I am a bit worried that the Mirena might have scratched the inside of my uterus or something. :/ I was this close to calling the weekend docter, because part of me was afraid that everything went wrong or something. It's okay now. I still feel my uterus/Mirena sting occasionally, but I'm not sure because that is because it's the time of my period or because I have an involuntary Mirena-shaped uterus piercing by now. (Also, weekend docters are expensive and I am poor, so I'm sticking this one out for now. Maybe call my regular MD if things still sting in a week.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Over the past few months my menstrual cramps have been worsening. I've had my IUD for about three years now, and had really painful periods in the beginning, but then the pain lessened. Now it's back... really, really badly. Like, lying in bed all day, vomiting, and passing out bad. Has anyone else had this?

I'm going to see my gyno soon to talk about it... if it is the IUD, then I'll probably be looking into sterilization, because I can't keep missing school/life (and work, as soon as I get a job) because of my IUD pains...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

coldandsleepy wrote:
Rereading this thread has me a little worries though. I have crazy periods already, like overflowing my cup every couple of hours for days heavy. Can they actually get heavier? I'm kinda skeptical.

This is why I didn't get a copper IUD even though I could have had the NHS insert it for free. If it's more than 80ml per cycle you should probably ask your doctor about treating those heavy periods though. I've been taking tranexamic acid for the first three days or so and it's made the whole thing a lot more bearable (migraines aside). I no longer sleep on a dark towel and dread getting up in the morning and leaking everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

jojo wrote:
I'm not trying to put you off or freak you out I just wanted to share my experience, obviously everyone's bodies are different & if you're okay with the possible loss of $60 then it's worth a try.

I'm okay with losing the $60! I've never been on hormonal birth control and would really like not to have to resort to it if I don't have to, particularly not before I'm done nursing. (It can fork with your milk supply.) So I'm willing to take the gamble!

But I appreciate hearing that it is just as likely to mess you up if you already have heavy periods. Just good to know what the risks are.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:10 am 

I would definitely go for it and see how you like it, coldandsleepy! Most women tolerate them much better after having babies. I had one and put up with it for five years even though it made my periods super painful (although not heavier). Even though I didn't love it before, I'm definitely going to get another one after I have my baby, and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:19 pm 

Okay, so I am now officially kind of paranoid about IUDs. I now know two people who personally know someone who has gotten pregnant while using an IUD. Am I being crazy here? I heard from someone that the strings can poke holes in condoms (makes sense, because some dudes can feel a pokiness), and now I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to throw away my NuvaRing. Someone tell me happy stories?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:45 pm 
Married to the wolfman

There is a really low failure rate-- like 0.4% in typical use. There's pretty much nothing else that's statistically that good (except abstinence I guess). Obviously nothing's perfect, but your friends aren't indicative of a bigger trend!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:29 am 

Yeah I know, I just am wondering if IUDs can be inserted poorly or incorrectly to allow a higher failure rate somehow? I really want an IUD, but I'm trying to weigh all the pros and cons before I make a decision.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:37 am 

How does that work in the US then? I know that things are totally different health insurance wise, but what about checkups after 'installing' the IUD? Because both times, I had a checkup with an ultrasound (dildo-cam, ugh) 1,5 months after my IUD was inserted to check that everything was where it should be. And when I felt weird about it with my previous Mirena, I just rang up the gynecologist and had an identical checkup, which was covered by my very basic insurance.

From the communist Netherlands with love,
Paloma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Paloma wrote:
How does that work in the US then? I know that things are totally different health insurance wise, but what about checkups after 'installing' the IUD? Because both times, I had a checkup with an ultrasound (dildo-cam, ugh) 1,5 months after my IUD was inserted to check that everything was where it should be. And when I felt weird about it with my previous Mirena, I just rang up the gynecologist and had an identical checkup, which was covered by my very basic insurance.

From the communist Netherlands with love,
Paloma

Here, I was really paranoid about my paraguard (called nova-T here) in the first few months because my doctor cut the strings too short and my cramping was so forking terrible that I was sure something was wrong. My doctor ordered two ultrasounds during that time, and everything was fine (and I felt kind of dumb).

From communist Canada with love.

alice1drland, it's been shown statistically that the failure rate with IUDs happens almost exclusively without the first year. Which is why I thought it important to be vigilant/paranoid, because it is true that some people expel or have their IUD dislodged in that time. After a year, it's almost always fine. Or at least, that's my old doctor's thinking.

coldandsleepy, there is a good chance your periods will be even heavier and more painful with the paraguard, but (THANKFULLY!) I found that that only lasted a year. I know a year is still a long time to be gushing blood and in pain, but at least in my case I found it worth it. My periods are now totally the same as they were pre-IUD, though the ovulation cramps are a new thing.

Also, my IUD is expired. I really need to get it replaced but I hate my current doctor--he's a creep. Hold me accountable, PPK!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:39 pm 

Thanks for your responses. I'll just have to talk it over with my doctor and see if post-insertion checkups are something she's willing to do. I love her, so she probably is great about it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:41 pm 

vijita wrote:
Also, my IUD is expired. I really need to get it replaced but I hate my current doctor--he's a creep. Hold me accountable, PPK!

In that case, it's not just your IUD that needs replacing then, I reckon. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:42 pm 

alice1drland wrote:
Thanks for your responses. I'll just have to talk it over with my doctor and see if post-insertion checkups are something she's willing to do. I love her, so she probably is great about it.

Man, if only for your mental sanity. Because after that you most probably won't bug her for five years anyway. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:46 pm 

A post-insertion check should be standard here, too! Unless you have really horrible insurance, I guess. If it covers the IUD insertion, it should cover a visit about 6 weeks later. So should as-needed appointments if you feel like something's wrong, including a possible ultrasound to make sure it's in the right place.

If anecdotes make you feel better, I work as a nurse at an abortion clinic and out of hundreds of patients I've seen so far, I've never seen someone who had an IUD failure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:13 pm 

Paloma wrote:
vijita wrote:

In that case, it's not just your IUD that needs replacing then, I reckon. :)

Oh definitely! I just have to wait until I move, since there are no other doctors accepting new patients in this tiny community. So May 1st, hold me accountable! I might go back to the doctor who inserted it, but she stabbed the hell out of my cervix and cut the strings ridiculously short.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:46 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I got mine (the copper) in about 3-4 months ago, have had that many period cycles since it went in.

I got it done at Planned Parenthood and took the recommended amount of painkillers beforehand and got it inserted while on my period because the cervix is already dilated somewhat when you're menstruating. The nice thing about my insertion is that it just felt like a menstrual cramp-not at all unbearable. I took a painkiller after the insertion just for some minor pain. The monthly periods are heavy but getting more manageable as time goes on and since I didn't have any cramps before insertion, I get very minor ones now that I have the IUD in.
It is so worth it to be able to have sex and not have to worry about the chance of a condom breaking. We'd break a condom every other time for whatever reason. I'm so glad I did it, though I will say that the insertion sounds a bit intimidating, but really wasn't that bad at all.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The insertion was fine, not nearly as painful as I expected. The cramping, on the other hand, is bad. I would say it's on par with early labor. Worse than normal cramps. Ow.

Also, as soon as my OB put it in, my uterus expelled it. Like before it could even open. She was like ha ha what? But the second time it was fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 pm 

I had that the first time round too, the extreme cramping. It was like my uterus was a scared child and the IUD was a wasp.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 am 
Married to the wolfman

My hell cramping lasted through the night but is gone this morning. I still have a period-like back ache but that ain't no thang.

I'm excited! Maybe my kids will both be asleep at the same time tonight and I can take this bad boy for a test drive!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hah, C&S. I am hoping for you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:13 pm 

Yay, coldandsleepy! I'm so glad you aren't dealing with much pain!

I got my period this morning and I was SHOCKED because I haven't had any cramps or bloating. And still don't. I guess my uterus finally decide to deal. Amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:58 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Nice vijita!

Also: mission accomplished on my behalf. Neither of us could feel anything different as usual, though I'm guessing that's because I'm at or near ovulation (both based on my own symptoms and my OB's remarks at placement... she was like daaaamn your cervix is high, you're about to pop an egg up in this business).

Weirdly, I bled copiously after the chess playing. Is that an IUD thing? My vag feels 100% fine, I was well lubricated and didn't feel any pain during intercourse, so I don't think that's the issue. I did have a little bleeding during the IUD insertion (doctor said it was normal, as the cervix is getting prodded and whatnot) but none at all yesterday prior to the act and then gushhhhhhhhh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 pm 
protein lump

i've never had a gush, but yeah, i regularly have a little spotting after sex. i always just assume that the IUD is getting whacked.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:04 pm 

I spotted after sex too at first. You are lucky that you are not gushing for a full month following insertion like I did!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 am 

Uuugh, it turns out my insurance doesn't cover IUDs after all. Oh well. If I lived anywhere that wasn't NYC I'd consider going to a Planned Parenthood or other facility that might do it for free/cheap, but "free" in this city means "3-to-5-hour-wait," which I cannot possibly do during the work week. Bleh. I might ask my dr anyway if she has any suggestions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next