| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

coldandsleepy wrote:
I had my placement check today... I've been a little worried about the thing because I've only ever successfully felt the strings once and my partner has NEVER been able to feel them.

It's right where it should be though, lookin' all cool on the ultrasound. I'm relieved and pleased, but sad that I forgot to ask for a print out of the ultrasound.

I was the same. I've never felt them. But it's all fine, apparently! (Except for the fact that it's expired. You guys need to hold me accountable to get the damn thing replaced!)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

vijita wrote:
You guys need to hold me accountable to get the damn thing replaced!)

Why haven't you already? Vijita, call your doctor nowwwwwwwww!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:52 pm 

I KNOOOOOW. I have to find a new doctor because I moved, again, so that is why I'm lagging. Ugh! Keep yelling at me!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:44 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Ok, I'm getting mine tomorrow, and I'm scared. But I hope it will be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

allisonbrye wrote:
Ok, I'm getting mine tomorrow, and I'm scared. But I hope it will be worth it.

Take some painkillers 2 hours beforehand. Some ibuprofen or something.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

And I recommend a heating pad for your uterus afterward!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:17 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

It's in! I did 600 mg ibuprofen and it worked really well. A little hurty, but not bad at all. Now I'm sitting with a hot water bottle and three kinds of vegan ice cream from Trader Joe's. Yay!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:36 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

allisonbrye wrote:
It's in! I did 600 mg ibuprofen and it worked really well. A little hurty, but not bad at all. Now I'm sitting with a hot water bottle and three kinds of vegan ice cream from Trader Joe's. Yay!

Congratulations!!

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:40 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

This last period was fine. I don't know why. My cramps haven't been so bad, but I no longer have anyone to help me use my IUD. I feel like crying.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:21 am 
Inflexitarian

So..

Little one is enough for several years so I'm looking at getting a Paraguard. I really have NO desire to go back to the place that delivered her for the post-partum so am looking for a new doc for that appointment. Is it reasonable to broach the subject with a doctor who I've never met at the postpartum or do I need to not bring it up until a different appointment?

I think it's appropriate after research because I want long term, something I won't forget, something effective, and something non-hormonal.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:46 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I absolutely think it's reasonable! I can't imagine a doctor at a postpartum appointment who wouldn't broach the subject of birth control.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:34 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Shanti wrote:
So..

Little one is enough for several years so I'm looking at getting a Paraguard. I really have NO desire to go back to the place that delivered her for the post-partum so am looking for a new doc for that appointment. Is it reasonable to broach the subject with a doctor who I've never met at the postpartum or do I need to not bring it up until a different appointment?

I think it's appropriate after research because I want long term, something I won't forget, something effective, and something non-hormonal.

Totally reasonable. I got a Paraguard at my 6 wk postpartum visit, and I think that's when a lot of new moms get them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 am 
Married to the wolfman

Shanti, it's definitely ok to mention to a new doctor! I would actually mention it when you make your appointment so they have it ready and waiting for you when you get there.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

Okay, good. We want them several years apart :)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Okay, after reading this thread about six million times and quizzing my Mirena-using best friend, I've made the appointment and I'm goin' in for an IUD tomorrow. I'm nervous, but I keep refocusing on the peace of mind the IUD will bring. I have industrial-strength Naproxen for tomorrow, and some misoprostol for tonight. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 am 

Good luck SassyOh. And take your time when you're sitting in that chair. Don't go home unless you feel absolutely fine, and even better: bring someone to look after you, ok ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 am 
Smuggling Raisins

My doctor removed my Paragard a couple weeks ago :( Had it for almost three years, but my periods stopped after six months and they couldn't figure out why. Started having really bad PMS every month even without the period. So it's gone. Sadness. Part of me wonders if they actually put in a Mirena and just didn't want to admit it.

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:42 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Nobody told me anything when i got mine, i probably should have found this before hand. I don't really EVER take pain medications or any medication for that matter, so i went in completely blind.
Sucked getting it in a wee-bit but whatever, the doctor told me i should take some ibprofen or something and i ignored her, didn't want a prescription, blah blah blah.
Fair warning: Not even fifteen minutes after i had it put in while i was driving home my cramps got so bad i almost pooed my pants. Fo rizzles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
I had my placement check today... I've been a little worried about the thing because I've only ever successfully felt the strings once and my partner has NEVER been able to feel them.

It's right where it should be though, lookin' all cool on the ultrasound. I'm relieved and pleased, but sad that I forgot to ask for a print out of the ultrasound.

I was the same. I've never felt them. But it's all fine, apparently! (Except for the fact that it's expired. You guys need to hold me accountable to get the damn thing replaced!)

Did you get it replaced? I just want to let you know that if you didn't and you end up having a baby, I will raise that baby for you if you want. Well, me and Agnes will coparent.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:16 pm 

Steph wrote:
My doctor removed my Paragard a couple weeks ago :( Had it for almost three years, but my periods stopped after six months and they couldn't figure out why. Started having really bad PMS every month even without the period. So it's gone. Sadness. Part of me wonders if they actually put in a Mirena and just didn't want to admit it.

That is seriously weird and I would wonder the same thing. Did you ever see what color the strings were, or did you see the IUD when it was taken out? Paragard has white strings (well, they aren't exactly white after it's been in there for three years) and Mirena's are black.

I'm getting a Paragard next week! I had one for five years and kind of hated it, but I'm holding out hope that it will be better now since I've had a baby. I figure as long as I'm breastfeeding and not having periods, I won't be having the painful cramps that made it so miserable before.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Wow. WOW. That was the weirdest, most intense sensation I have ever felt. My doctor, who has children and an IUD, said she feels that the sensation is very similar to labor pains, and if that is true, I now fully understand why some women refer to themselves as goddesses or superheroes after giving birth.
I can't say the experience was pleasant, but it was mercifully brief and my doctor was very kind (even after I yelped like a hurt pup on the table). I'm riding a nice little endorphin rush at the moment. The cramping is pretty nasty, but it's nothing pizza and ice cream can't fix!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 am 

I got my Paragard yesterday, and it was SO much easier than the one I got before I had a baby! I had some cramping for a few hours afterward, but I haven't even taken anything since before the insertion and I feel completely fine today! So if anyone's worried about the pain, just go get knocked up and have a baby and get your IUD after that, and you'll be fine! Just kidding.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 am 

strawberryrock wrote:
vijita wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

Did you get it replaced? I just want to let you know that if you didn't and you end up having a baby, I will raise that baby for you if you want. Well, me and Agnes will coparent.

Next week! Though I will totally take you up on that offer if necessary. <3 I'm really nervous and really need to get the address to that clinic which is top-secret because it's primarily an abortion clinic. And you know, people suck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 am 
Level 7 Vegan

mooo wrote:
I got my Paragard yesterday, and it was SO much easier than the one I got before I had a baby! I had some cramping for a few hours afterward, but I haven't even taken anything since before the insertion and I feel completely fine today! So if anyone's worried about the pain, just go get knocked up and have a baby and get your IUD after that, and you'll be fine! Just kidding.

Congrats! I remember how much it hurt you before--here's to a pain-free paragard experience!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:52 am 

UGH. You guys. I am getting my IUD removed and inserting a new one tomorrow and I'm terrified. My first insertion was so goddamn painful. It's a Nova-T again (the Paraguard of Canada), because I can't do hormones. At least this time I'm having it done at a specialty contraceptive/abortion clinic, so hopefully my doctor will know to be more gentle than my cervix-stabbing evil monster of last time, but I am just feeling super nervous about the whole thing. And I was supposed to have my period now but of course, I'm late.

At least Jay is coming with me. Last time I almost got into a car accident trying to make my way the 40 minutes home with excruciating pain and lots and lots of bleeding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next