| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:12 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
coldandsleepy wrote:
I had my placement check today... I've been a little worried about the thing because I've only ever successfully felt the strings once and my partner has NEVER been able to feel them.

It's right where it should be though, lookin' all cool on the ultrasound. I'm relieved and pleased, but sad that I forgot to ask for a print out of the ultrasound.

I was the same. I've never felt them. But it's all fine, apparently! (Except for the fact that it's expired. You guys need to hold me accountable to get the damn thing replaced!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:49 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: Boston
vijita wrote:
You guys need to hold me accountable to get the damn thing replaced!)

Why haven't you already? Vijita, call your doctor nowwwwwwwww!

_________________
http://vegetalion.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:52 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I KNOOOOOW. I have to find a new doctor because I moved, again, so that is why I'm lagging. Ugh! Keep yelling at me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:44 pm 
Offline
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:22 pm
Posts: 159
Ok, I'm getting mine tomorrow, and I'm scared. But I hope it will be worth it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:25 am
Posts: 1038
allisonbrye wrote:
Ok, I'm getting mine tomorrow, and I'm scared. But I hope it will be worth it.


Take some painkillers 2 hours beforehand. Some ibuprofen or something.

_________________
The night is dark and full of turnips.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 am 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: ATX
And I recommend a heating pad for your uterus afterward!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:17 pm 
Offline
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:22 pm
Posts: 159
It's in! I did 600 mg ibuprofen and it worked really well. A little hurty, but not bad at all. Now I'm sitting with a hot water bottle and three kinds of vegan ice cream from Trader Joe's. Yay!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:36 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Mini Apple
allisonbrye wrote:
It's in! I did 600 mg ibuprofen and it worked really well. A little hurty, but not bad at all. Now I'm sitting with a hot water bottle and three kinds of vegan ice cream from Trader Joe's. Yay!


Congratulations!!

_________________
"Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY, one night only: it's the amazing...the outstanding...the unbelievable.....VULVODYNIA!" -- Desdemona

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:40 am 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:31 pm
Posts: 57
Location: Limbo
This last period was fine. I don't know why. My cramps haven't been so bad, but I no longer have anyone to help me use my IUD. I feel like crying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:21 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 751
Location: Virginia, USA
So..

Little one is enough for several years so I'm looking at getting a Paraguard. I really have NO desire to go back to the place that delivered her for the post-partum so am looking for a new doc for that appointment. Is it reasonable to broach the subject with a doctor who I've never met at the postpartum or do I need to not bring it up until a different appointment?

I think it's appropriate after research because I want long term, something I won't forget, something effective, and something non-hormonal.

_________________
Geeks make the world go 'round

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:46 am 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: ATX
I absolutely think it's reasonable! I can't imagine a doctor at a postpartum appointment who wouldn't broach the subject of birth control.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:34 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:14 pm
Posts: 1106
Location: 'Burbs of California
Shanti wrote:
So..

Little one is enough for several years so I'm looking at getting a Paraguard. I really have NO desire to go back to the place that delivered her for the post-partum so am looking for a new doc for that appointment. Is it reasonable to broach the subject with a doctor who I've never met at the postpartum or do I need to not bring it up until a different appointment?

I think it's appropriate after research because I want long term, something I won't forget, something effective, and something non-hormonal.

Totally reasonable. I got a Paraguard at my 6 wk postpartum visit, and I think that's when a lot of new moms get them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 am 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 6025
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Shanti, it's definitely ok to mention to a new doctor! I would actually mention it when you make your appointment so they have it ready and waiting for you when you get there.

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:25 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 pm
Posts: 751
Location: Virginia, USA
Okay, good. We want them several years apart :)

_________________
Geeks make the world go 'round

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:09 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 pm
Posts: 575
Location: Sacred City, California
Okay, after reading this thread about six million times and quizzing my Mirena-using best friend, I've made the appointment and I'm goin' in for an IUD tomorrow. I'm nervous, but I keep refocusing on the peace of mind the IUD will bring. I have industrial-strength Naproxen for tomorrow, and some misoprostol for tonight. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Wish me luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:25 am
Posts: 1038
Good luck SassyOh. And take your time when you're sitting in that chair. Don't go home unless you feel absolutely fine, and even better: bring someone to look after you, ok ?

_________________
The night is dark and full of turnips.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 am 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Mini Apple
My doctor removed my Paragard a couple weeks ago :( Had it for almost three years, but my periods stopped after six months and they couldn't figure out why. Started having really bad PMS every month even without the period. So it's gone. Sadness. Part of me wonders if they actually put in a Mirena and just didn't want to admit it.

_________________
"Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY, one night only: it's the amazing...the outstanding...the unbelievable.....VULVODYNIA!" -- Desdemona

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:42 pm 
Offline
Wears Pleather Undies
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:03 pm
Posts: 20
Location: Somewhere....
Nobody told me anything when i got mine, i probably should have found this before hand. I don't really EVER take pain medications or any medication for that matter, so i went in completely blind.
Sucked getting it in a wee-bit but whatever, the doctor told me i should take some ibprofen or something and i ignored her, didn't want a prescription, blah blah blah.
Fair warning: Not even fifteen minutes after i had it put in while i was driving home my cramps got so bad i almost pooed my pants. Fo rizzles.

_________________
Lips Stained Red From A Bottle Of Wine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:45 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:15 pm
Posts: 2574
vijita wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
I had my placement check today... I've been a little worried about the thing because I've only ever successfully felt the strings once and my partner has NEVER been able to feel them.

It's right where it should be though, lookin' all cool on the ultrasound. I'm relieved and pleased, but sad that I forgot to ask for a print out of the ultrasound.

I was the same. I've never felt them. But it's all fine, apparently! (Except for the fact that it's expired. You guys need to hold me accountable to get the damn thing replaced!)


Did you get it replaced? I just want to let you know that if you didn't and you end up having a baby, I will raise that baby for you if you want. Well, me and Agnes will coparent.

_________________
"No one with hair so soft and glossy could ever be bad at anything." - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:16 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:00 am
Posts: 1077
Steph wrote:
My doctor removed my Paragard a couple weeks ago :( Had it for almost three years, but my periods stopped after six months and they couldn't figure out why. Started having really bad PMS every month even without the period. So it's gone. Sadness. Part of me wonders if they actually put in a Mirena and just didn't want to admit it.


That is seriously weird and I would wonder the same thing. Did you ever see what color the strings were, or did you see the IUD when it was taken out? Paragard has white strings (well, they aren't exactly white after it's been in there for three years) and Mirena's are black.

I'm getting a Paragard next week! I had one for five years and kind of hated it, but I'm holding out hope that it will be better now since I've had a baby. I figure as long as I'm breastfeeding and not having periods, I won't be having the painful cramps that made it so miserable before.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V

Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 pm
Posts: 575
Location: Sacred City, California
Wow. WOW. That was the weirdest, most intense sensation I have ever felt. My doctor, who has children and an IUD, said she feels that the sensation is very similar to labor pains, and if that is true, I now fully understand why some women refer to themselves as goddesses or superheroes after giving birth.
I can't say the experience was pleasant, but it was mercifully brief and my doctor was very kind (even after I yelped like a hurt pup on the table). I'm riding a nice little endorphin rush at the moment. The cramping is pretty nasty, but it's nothing pizza and ice cream can't fix!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:05 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:00 am
Posts: 1077
I got my Paragard yesterday, and it was SO much easier than the one I got before I had a baby! I had some cramping for a few hours afterward, but I haven't even taken anything since before the insertion and I feel completely fine today! So if anyone's worried about the pain, just go get knocked up and have a baby and get your IUD after that, and you'll be fine! Just kidding.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
strawberryrock wrote:
vijita wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
I had my placement check today... I've been a little worried about the thing because I've only ever successfully felt the strings once and my partner has NEVER been able to feel them.

It's right where it should be though, lookin' all cool on the ultrasound. I'm relieved and pleased, but sad that I forgot to ask for a print out of the ultrasound.

I was the same. I've never felt them. But it's all fine, apparently! (Except for the fact that it's expired. You guys need to hold me accountable to get the damn thing replaced!)


Did you get it replaced? I just want to let you know that if you didn't and you end up having a baby, I will raise that baby for you if you want. Well, me and Agnes will coparent.

Next week! Though I will totally take you up on that offer if necessary. <3 I'm really nervous and really need to get the address to that clinic which is top-secret because it's primarily an abortion clinic. And you know, people suck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: Boston
mooo wrote:
I got my Paragard yesterday, and it was SO much easier than the one I got before I had a baby! I had some cramping for a few hours afterward, but I haven't even taken anything since before the insertion and I feel completely fine today! So if anyone's worried about the pain, just go get knocked up and have a baby and get your IUD after that, and you'll be fine! Just kidding.

Congrats! I remember how much it hurt you before--here's to a pain-free paragard experience!

_________________
http://vegetalion.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:52 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
UGH. You guys. I am getting my IUD removed and inserting a new one tomorrow and I'm terrified. My first insertion was so goddamn painful. It's a Nova-T again (the Paraguard of Canada), because I can't do hormones. At least this time I'm having it done at a specialty contraceptive/abortion clinic, so hopefully my doctor will know to be more gentle than my cervix-stabbing evil monster of last time, but I am just feeling super nervous about the whole thing. And I was supposed to have my period now but of course, I'm late.

At least Jay is coming with me. Last time I almost got into a car accident trying to make my way the 40 minutes home with excruciating pain and lots and lots of bleeding.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 30  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer