| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:16 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I go in on Monday to get the Mirena inserted. Paragard was my first choice, but since I am already borderline anemic from the heaviness of my period, it wasn't the right fit. I am not too nervous. I have a prescription for something to soften my cervix and will be doing this with no pain relievers. Should be interesting. I also have classes all day Tuesday so hopefully I don't have a lot of cramping.

Did anyone start breaking out after having Mirena inserted?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:00 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

soyaspade wrote:
Do most US insurance policies cover IUD?

I was about to get one when my GYN told me my insurance refused to cover it and it would cost me $800 out of pocket. I thought about calling up my insurance company, but figured it would probably be a waste of time. The hormonal pills give me migraines, so it's been all condoms this year.

It seems like IUDs are much more standard in Europe and Asia.

I got mine for $75 for the IUD and $20 for the dr visit (well, $60 total for 3 visits). I just had to pay the copay for the IUD, which was very nice. I'm on an HMO for the rest of this year, but it's ending soon and I'm getting on different insurance that is about 50% more per month :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:28 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

clippityclopboom wrote:
I go in on Monday to get the Mirena inserted. Paragard was my first choice, but since I am already borderline anemic from the heaviness of my period, it wasn't the right fit. I am not too nervous. I have a prescription for something to soften my cervix and will be doing this with no pain relievers. Should be interesting. I also have classes all day Tuesday so hopefully I don't have a lot of cramping.

I did at first, for a month or two, then things died down as my body got used to the hormones.

I have a Mirena for a similar reason, and honestly, I'm SO happy with it. The hormone dosage is so, so low. I had MAJOR issues on all the other hormonal birth control I had been on before, but the Mirena has been no problem (and I've had mine for 4.5 years now). I really recommend it.

I'd suggest getting a bunch of Aleve (that's what my doctor had me get because it's somehow better than regular acetaminophen, though I forget how; she had explained at the time). I had cramping, but was functional after the first five or so hours (my then-boyfriend drove me home and we just cuddled in bed with a heating bad on my pelvis for several hours, but I was up and fine to attend a party that night). I had cramping for a few weeks after, but nothing worse than menstrual cramping, and most of the time, not even that bad, and only for an hour or two total each day.

Congratulations, and good luck with the insertion!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:15 am 
Level 7 Vegan

clippityclopboom wrote:

Yes! Not right away, but about 3 months ago (so, that's waht, over a year since insertion?) I started having a zitty chin and it never went away! It may have nothing to do with the IUD, but since I never had the slightest spot even at the worst of my teens, I'm suspicious.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am envious of all of you with your shiny, happy IUDs!

I had a Paragard for two years, had it removed to get pregnant, got pregnant, had the baby, got a new Paragard put in, kept it in for two years before calling it quits. I loved the IUD for birth control. My uterus, however, was never very happy. Before my son was born, things were OK-ish - my periods were just crazy heavy. After the baby, it was a nightmare. Bleeding and cramping and back pain, oh my!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

i have had my paragard since april 07, and it's great. i guess i have decently heavy periods, but nothing too different than what i had before. i have lame student insurance, and it covered all but $45 of it, way cheaper than a birth control prescription. and it's hormone-free! i'm a big fan of mine, and i have convinced 3 of my friends to go the way of the IUD as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:26 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Noelle, they gave you back your IUDs?!

I wanna turn mine into a necklace.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:33 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I got my first IUD (copper Flexi-T) in January 2008. Insertion went ok, painful but I survived. It was a dream! Periods were shorter, just as light as before and NO CRAMPS. Unfortunately it expelled 8 months later, when I was emptying my menstural cup...

A few days later I got a new IUD inserted, copper Nova-T. It's larger so it supposedly should "stay in" better. The Flexi-T is real small and designed particularly for women who haven't given birth. That's why they chose that one for me at first. Wish I would've had better luck with it...

The Nova-T brought all the hellish cramps back, made my flow somewhat heavier and my periods last the usual 5 days. I've had it for over 2 years now and it's worked great with my cup, no problems. Most days of the month I totally even forget it's there, the easiest and most carefree birth control ever! Having to take a few pain meds once a month and emptying my cup one/two time more than usual daily is such small price and so worth it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 pm 

DarthCupcake wrote:
Noelle, they gave you back your IUDs?!

They did! "Can I keep it?" was the first thing I asked when I went in for the removals.

The OB who removed the first one was a little wigged out when I asked if I could keep it - I don't think anyone had ever asked him before. But the naturopath/midwife who did the second one was absolutely delighted that I wanted it "back."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:17 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I got my IUD fitted today! The appointment took about 25 mins & they couldn't fit the 10 year one I wanted but put in the 5 year non hormonal one instead.

I took painkillers, two paracetamol/codeine & two ibuprofen, but the insertion definitely still hurt, worse than any tattoo's or piercing's I've had. Afterwards I had pretty bad cramping & felt sick for about 3 hours - they aren't kidding when they tell you not to go to work / do much for the rest of the day.

I'm feeling okayish now, still crampy but bearable!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I had my consultation today. I am so so so so so happy it was as easy as it went (I am a Planned Parenthood supporter. I always have been, but now I have a personal anecdote). It goes in next week! Mirena for the win! The doctor was so nice and she didn't talk down to me or treat me like I was an idiot or a slut like my normal doctor does (seriously, she gave me the most judgey look when I asked for the Pill at 15).

I was expecting so much more opposition (as I'm eighteen), but none of it! She was happy and welcoming and totally for it. AND she only asked once if I had considered any other birth control and accepted my answer happily.

Weeeeeeeee!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, my strings are STILL poking the boyfriend. It's been about 2 months, and I thought if I left them long, they would soften up.

I got it at Planned Parenthood, but tomorrow I go to a gyno on my insurance for the HPV shot. I have JUST enough time for the shot series before I turn 27 and it's harder to get approved by Planned Parenthood because of the phara company they get it from is picky. This will be my first non-Planned Parenthood visit in about 8 years!

I'm going to ask the new doctor what she thinks. Hopefully she has experience with IUD's. I'll update you all tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:31 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

This scares me! I got my IUD on Monday. All went well, cramping is at a minimum. However, I am worried about the whole string thing poking my boyfriend! I stayed away from the pill because that completely kills my sex drive. Now I'm worried if he equates sex with getting poked by these IUD strings, our sex life will simmer out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:26 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

clippityclopboom wrote:
This scares me! I got my IUD on Monday. All went well, cramping is at a minimum. However, I am worried about the whole string thing poking my boyfriend! I stayed away from the pill because that completely kills my sex drive. Now I'm worried if he equates sex with getting poked by these IUD strings, our sex life will simmer out.

I think as long as you've told him about the possibility of the strings poking him I wouldn't worry too much - you can always have non penetrative sex whilst you're waiting for them to soften if it's really bothering him. The doctor who did my insertion told me you can move them to the side with your finger & that if they're still causing a problem at the 6 week check up then you can get them trimmed more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, bad news about my IUD. The doctor went to check on the strings, said that if they were long, she could tuck them in for me. She said "These are really short!" Exasperated, I said "but they said they kept them long!" She told me that sometimes the strings "coil" and sometimes just feel short. She tried to fix it, but she couldn't. My only option is to have it removed...unless my boyfriend and I want to continue to have painful poking sex.

This is JUST my luck. My only concern was the strings, and thats the one thing that goes wrong. I guess I'm calling tomorrow to make the appointment for removal. Maybe Planned Parenthood can fix it, but if she couldn't I don't think they can either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:10 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I went to the gyno yesterday and explored options. He was perfectly fine with the IUD even though I have not had kids and was even ok with tube ligations if I had really wanted it.
So I'm getting an IUD next period, the copper one which here is called Flexi T 300. Yay!
I really hope it won't hurt too much. He said it's to be changed ever 1.5 - 2 years, which seems a little short but he explained about the copper getting oxidated and not being super safe afterwards. Oh well.
Thanks PPK for having taught about IUDs!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Anek wrote:
I went to the gyno yesterday and explored options. He was perfectly fine with the IUD even though I have not had kids and was even ok with tube ligations if I had really wanted it.
So I'm getting an IUD next period, the copper one which here is called Flexi T 300. Yay!
I really hope it won't hurt too much. He said it's to be changed ever 1.5 - 2 years, which seems a little short but he explained about the copper getting oxidated and not being super safe afterwards. Oh well.

Try not to worry about the pain too much--everyone is different, and for some of us (me!) it was a very easy, low-pain process.

I didn't realize that the Flexi-T had such a short lifespan! The Paragard (US's copper IUD) is good for up to 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

vegetalion wrote:
Anek wrote:

Try not to worry about the pain too much--everyone is different, and for some of us (me!) it was a very easy, low-pain process.

I didn't realize that the Flexi-T had such a short lifespan! The Paragard (US's copper IUD) is good for up to 10 years.

I'm a wiener about pain and I want the copper IUD so bad. What did insertion feel like? Like a pap smear hopefully? Argh. I'm stressing out about it.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:50 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The pain is so worth it! It's hard to describe, but it just felt like really, really bad menstrual cramps.
The whole insertion (I have Mirena) took about 2 minutes, so it wasn't bad. I had no pain relievers but did take cytotec the night before to soften my cervix.

While it was uncomfortable and the pain was something I've never experienced, it wasn't too awful. I drove home within 5 minutes after the procedure. If the IUD is something you really want, don't let the pain scare you away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:18 am 
Level 7 Vegan

sarahnorine wrote:
I'm a wiener about pain and I want the copper IUD so bad. What did insertion feel like? Like a pap smear hopefully? Argh. I'm stressing out about it.

I'm a pretty big wuss (we're talking panic whenever I get a papercut), so I was really scared for my insertion, but I had it really easy. I took 800mg ibuprofen beforehand, so maybe that helped. But anyway, there are two parts that hurt: the sounding (where they insert a long thin stick to measure the depth of your uterus) and the actual insertion. The sounding was one long cramp (okay, actually like 3 seconds) that began to fade as soon as the stick was out. The insertion itself was a little less crampy, but my cervix was at a strange angle, so they had to use a tenaculum (basically, a claw) to hold it in place. THAT part hurt. The IUD didn't come out of its straw at first (they come in straws for the insertion), so it took 2 tries--so maybe 15 seconds total, and most of that pain was because my cervix was wonky.

So even with the complications, the sounding and the insertion meant I was in pain for a total of about 20 seconds. The resulting cramps (which lasted only about 1.5 days before fading) were like my period cramps, and totally ibuprofen-manageable. Everyone's body is different, so maybe you'll have more pain, but remember you might also have less!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

December 6th I go in for my Paraguard consultation! That should be enough time to see if I can function emotionally without the added hormones, right? Haha. Manfriend said that bc helped my mood swings, which I thought it actually makes them worse in most cases? anyways, I'm super excited!

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm 

sarahnorine wrote:
What did insertion feel like? Like a pap smear hopefully?

The first time, pre-kid, it felt like getting my cervix pierced. As I understand it, what I felt was actually the uterine sound, and not the IUD. Regardless, it was one jolt of serious fuckoff pain that was over in about a finger-snap.

The second time, post-kid, I felt nothing. Truly, not a thing. I kept waiting for the pain...and then they were done with me! It was amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:40 am 
Smuggling Raisins

So I had mine fitted on Monday, and I haven't stopped bleeding since. It started as dotting, and now it's like I'm on a REALLY heavy period - I got through a tampax in two hours. Is this normal?

I'm not massively happy about mine. I was sold on getting the coil idea by 'lighter/no periods' and I wanted to come off the hormones from the pill. No-one mentionned there were two types, meaning it was no hormones or no periods, until my fitting appointment, by which time I felt it was too late to back out, and went for the non-hormonal one.

No-one mentionned about the crazy heavy periods until I came home and did some research afterwards, and I really don't want those, I used to have ridiculously heavy/painful periods and I can't face a return to that. I'm a little concerned that the two days of heavy bleeding I've had since the fitting are pointing towards it though. The uncontrollable crying that used to come with the heavy/painful periods has also come back, which also sucks as I came off the pill to make me a less mental, not more!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 am 
protein lump

sorry you're going through that rachwins, but in general, yes, the copper one will make you bleed more heavily and can give you worse cramps. the hormonal one will do the opposite.

if you've come off of hormonal bc, then of course you're going to have some of the mental stuff be messed up.

no offense, but if you didn't want to get the non-hormonal IUD, you should have backed out at the appointment. no one is going to yell at you for that. when i went to my insertion appointment, i noticed that they had the hormonal one out on the table so i asked and it turns out they ordered the wrong one (i have a copper one). there's no way i would have let them insert the mirena because i wanted nothing to do with hormonal bc. i would have been miserable for 5 years with the mirena and instead i spoke up and now i'm perfectly happy with the copper IUD for 10+ years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:33 am 
Smuggling Raisins

This is true - it wasn't them that forced me to do it, but me! I'd spent so long hyping myself up to have one put in, I didn't want to back out! I've become more anti-it since reading up on the stuff about the periods after the fitting, I had figured the doctor had told me all I'd needed to know about the choices I was making. I guess I'm just feeling narked that they didn't explain everything to me, that I hadn't thought to read up on it myself, and that no-one's come up with the perfect solution so far!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next