| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:25 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 2677
Location: SF Bay area
Disappearing Ink wrote:
I've read through some of the thread, so I'm prepared for pain and heavier periods, but what peas me off is bleeding between periods. Did any of you who have the copper one experience anything like that?

I haven't experienced that, thank goodness!

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1143
Location: ATX
I haven't experienced any of that either, either with my first or second IUD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:12 pm 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:26 am
Posts: 759
Location: UK
Excellent. Thanks for the info.

ETA, reading about how much some people have had to pay reminds me how much love the NHS. Paying for healthcare seems so alien to me, but I guess we're lucky here.

_________________
VEGANSLIME // IN RAD TASTE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:46 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9605
I made my appt for my Mirena! July 16! So excited!
I hope beyond hope that what the insurance peeps said to me is true- that I won't have to pay anything for it as of July 1.
Definitely calling on Monday to make sure. So excited!
Going to take lots of ibuprofen for insertion. Sorry it sucked, j-dub.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:43 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9605
Just got my Mirena inserted. HOLY PAIN BALLS when they opened and measured my cervix (felt like the most massive cramp ever). Less pain but for longer period of time when she did the actual insertion. I just kept breathing as instructed and made it through. No passing out, no other craziness.
I was given the cervix opening meds beforehand and also took 800mg ibuprofen. I'm on day 3 of my period.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:24 pm 
Offline
Married to the wolfman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Posts: 5877
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
couroupita wrote:
Disappearing Ink wrote:
I've read through some of the thread, so I'm prepared for pain and heavier periods, but what peas me off is bleeding between periods. Did any of you who have the copper one experience anything like that?

I haven't experienced that, thank goodness!


I haven't either! I used to have occasional between period bleeds prior to my IUD, don't think it's ever happened since I got the thing.

_________________
"Hummus; a gentleman's vice." -- Mars

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:34 pm 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4013
Location: Brighton, England.
Meggs wrote:
...HOLY PAIN BALLS....


Indeed. I'm actually already nervous about having to have it changed once the five years are up!

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Not-For-Profit Bakery: Operation Icing
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:52 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Canberra, Australia
Disappearing Ink wrote:
I've read through some of the thread, so I'm prepared for pain and heavier periods, but what peas me off is bleeding between periods. Did any of you who have the copper one experience anything like that?


Not at all! My periods have always been like clockwork, though, with nothing going on in between. I clearly inherited a punctual and efficient German uterus from my mother's side of the family.

I had an MRI last week and totally forgot about my IUD until I was about to go in, oops. The MRI operator lady freaked out a bit and made me hold an alarm thing to call her and stop the machine if I felt anything going on down there, but nothing happened. I guess the side effect of having no side effects is completely forgetting that I have this thing in me.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9605
Erinnerung wrote:
completely forgetting that I have this thing in me.
I hope I forget. Currently I'm a little preoccupied with it and am afraid to pee and stuff, just because I recall that crazy cervix-opening pain and it makes me want to cross my legs forever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:56 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: Boston
Meggs wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
completely forgetting that I have this thing in me.
I hope I forget. Currently I'm a little preoccupied with it and am afraid to pee and stuff, just because I recall that crazy cervix-opening pain and it makes me want to cross my legs forever.

When I got my IUD (~3 years ago) I was really nervous about pooping for the first couple days, which I knew was ridiculous but couldn't help. It took me around 2 weeks to get used to/comfortable with the fact that there was something in my body.

_________________
http://vegetalion.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1613
After I got over some initial silliness about my partner's piercings causing problems and just being really nervous it would hurt like hell, I decided to take the plunge and got a paraguard about 6 weeks ago. I had no real pain during insertion and only felt a little crampy a few hours later. I was totally dreading my first period with it but all that happened was I had super-light only-when-I-wipe bleeding for like 3 days and then a pretty heavy period for another 3 days. That was a bit of a bummer because before the IUD I've always had very light 3 day periods, but maybe this will improve.

in any case, I already have 2 kids (both via c-section) and don't think we will have another, so I'm really stoked that this will last 10 years. To be honest, at that point I will be nearing the end of my childbearing years anyway!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9605
vegetalion wrote:
When I got my IUD (~3 years ago) I was really nervous about pooping for the first couple days, which I knew was ridiculous but couldn't help. It took me around 2 weeks to get used to/comfortable with the fact that there was something in my body.
Ok good, so I'm not weird then! It's getting better. Boyfriend had a bad experience with a past partner with an IUD who maybe had their coils too long and it hurt him? So he was nervous about sexytimes, but we're working through that. Ha.
The NP who put my IUD in said I may have spotting for a while (2-3 weeks?). So far the only difference was my period/bleeding lasted about 2 days longer than it usually does. I'm hopeful.

What other changes can I expect/have people experienced in the first month?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:04 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:39 am
Posts: 584
Location: Sweden
After a few months without the Mirena, I now know I'm definitely one of the people who do best without an IUD. It's such a relief to have my period and know that after it's over, I won't be bleeding again for weeks! However, I'm glad I tried IUDs and will encourage others to do so too.

_________________
I tend to hook up with people who give me chocolate, but I fail to see how this is a bad thing./tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 am 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:32 pm
Posts: 1008
Location: Michigan
My IUD is making me get spotting quite often each month lately. It'll go on for like two weeks, leaving me with a week prior to my period blood free, and the one after only. Last summer this happened and I called my doctor who said it was because the copper in the paragaurd thinned the lining of my uterus and prescribed me estridol to take for a few weeks to make the estrogen help it regrow thicker. I called today about this, because I assumed that I needed it again, and spoke with the nurse practitioner on the phone who said that I may just need to wait it out. I asked her to leave a message for my doc and have her call me back, because last time the estrogen made it go away until about this april. I want to take it again so the lining will get thickened and everything, since not only will I have no more random bleeding, but I will probably be healthier in that condition. I hope she calls back and does prescribe it, but I don't really know what I should do now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:05 am 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
Meggs wrote:
vegetalion wrote:
When I got my IUD (~3 years ago) I was really nervous about pooping for the first couple days, which I knew was ridiculous but couldn't help. It took me around 2 weeks to get used to/comfortable with the fact that there was something in my body.
Ok good, so I'm not weird then! It's getting better. Boyfriend had a bad experience with a past partner with an IUD who maybe had their coils too long and it hurt him? So he was nervous about sexytimes, but we're working through that. Ha.
The NP who put my IUD in said I may have spotting for a while (2-3 weeks?). So far the only difference was my period/bleeding lasted about 2 days longer than it usually does. I'm hopeful.

What other changes can I expect/have people experienced in the first month?

I got mine in May and I seem to not have a period anymore and mostly the cramping is gone. Very occasionally I'll get a bit of cramping when I move funny. Otherwise it's like it doesn't exist!

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:22 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9605
j-dub wrote:
I got mine in May and I seem to not have a period anymore and mostly the cramping is gone. Very occasionally I'll get a bit of cramping when I move funny. Otherwise it's like it doesn't exist!
THANK YOU!! I can't wait for this side effect. It's only been a week but I've not really had spotting or anything else.

I'm hopeful the IUD will help my PMS symptoms since I'll have consistent hormones. Has anyone experienced this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:35 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
Meggs wrote:
j-dub wrote:
I got mine in May and I seem to not have a period anymore and mostly the cramping is gone. Very occasionally I'll get a bit of cramping when I move funny. Otherwise it's like it doesn't exist!
THANK YOU!! I can't wait for this side effect. It's only been a week but I've not really had spotting or anything else.

I'm hopeful the IUD will help my PMS symptoms since I'll have consistent hormones. Has anyone experienced this?

Yep! That's the main reason I have it (and was on the pill before it)--my period is a forking monster. I'd say I get a day every month where I'm a teeny bit crampy and a little more tired than usual but that's about it. My usual PMS involves being awake until 5 am the night before plus a panic attack, cramps and back pain so bad I can barely move, and so exhausted that I was convinced every month that I had mono again (evidently it takes me a long time to make the connection...). Now, a tiny bit of cramping and I'm done!

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:22 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9605
Oh my gosh, j-dub, thank you. I'm so hopeful, even moreso now. I'm seriously an awful person during my week of PMS. Really the best I can do is stay away from people I love because everything they do is annoying and I don't like them and they're ridiculous so I'm a complete bisque.... and I think it's real until every freaking month it ends and I feel better and oh yes, it's PMS not reality. Every month I want to break up with my boyfriend. After the first time I actually did, I decided I shouldn't make any major decisions during that week.
So, I get that you didn't make the connection for some time because I'm convinced my symptoms are real life and not PMS.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 400
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Meggs wrote:
Oh my gosh, j-dub, thank you. I'm so hopeful, even moreso now. I'm seriously an awful person during my week of PMS. Really the best I can do is stay away from people I love because everything they do is annoying and I don't like them and they're ridiculous so I'm a complete bisque.... and I think it's real until every freaking month it ends and I feel better and oh yes, it's PMS not reality. Every month I want to break up with my boyfriend. After the first time I actually did, I decided I shouldn't make any major decisions during that week.
So, I get that you didn't make the connection for some time because I'm convinced my symptoms are real life and not PMS.


Have you tried taking some Maca Maca for the PMS? That stuff helps me so much!

_________________
MN Vegan blog-->http://www.mnvegan.blogspot.com

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9605
sarahnorine wrote:
Have you tried taking some Maca Maca for the PMS? That stuff helps me so much!
No! Tell me more! Do I take it all the time as a supplement or just near PMS time? What will it help? If you say, "take it all the time and it will help everything related to PMS" I will try it.

So I'm 12 days into this IUD thing and I've got some breast tenderness and spotting but that's all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:32 pm
Posts: 1008
Location: Michigan
So in other news, my doc did prescribe birth control, I'm supposed to take it for 2 months to regulate my bleeding and stuff. It is not fun. Birth control does not agree with me, hence the iud, and now I'm nauseous all day long. Can't wait till this is over. I've talked to my doc about it, and she said if its really bad I only have to do one month, but still. I just want to sit around and not move, because I will throw up most likely if I move around too fast. Have been every day at least once. It makes me glad I can normally tolerate having an iud just fine. I don't know what I'd do if I had to take this stuff normally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1475
Location: Hamburg, Germany
My Mirena is due to expire this year. I had a regular, although light, period thoughout the 5 years which annoys me to no end as suppressing my period was mostly why I chose this IUD in the first place. I've also had increasingly long and increasingly painful menstrual cramps, up to 3 weeks of cramps per month towards the end.

I really wanted to love my Mirena, we were perfect for each other on paper. Now I have no idea what to exchange it for. Any suggestions?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:55 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:26 am
Posts: 759
Location: UK
There's a stupidly long wait at the only place around here that fits IUDs, so I have to wait until 3rd September for mine. Wah!

_________________
VEGANSLIME // IN RAD TASTE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:48 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:32 pm
Posts: 1008
Location: Michigan
Disappearing Ink wrote:
There's a stupidly long wait at the only place around here that fits IUDs, so I have to wait until 3rd September for mine. Wah!


Lucky lucky uk/eu people. I had to wait about 3 months, and i'm sure you won't have to pay nearly what I did (makes me sad to say how much). Less than I'd have to pay for birth control apparently, cause as mentioned before i have to take birth control this month for some bleeding irregularities and its $36 a month, meaning 10 years of that would be over $4,000!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 pm 
Offline
Chard Martyr
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 9605
vegetable_assassin wrote:
Lucky lucky uk/eu people. I had to wait about 3 months, and i'm sure you won't have to pay nearly what I did (makes me sad to say how much). Less than I'd have to pay for birth control apparently, cause as mentioned before i have to take birth control this month for some bleeding irregularities and its $36 a month, meaning 10 years of that would be over $4,000!
I waited until my insurance company had to go with the affordable care act womens preventative health thing and mine was free. Which is awesome.

Ok guys, so I've had the Mirena for 2 weeks and 2 days. I've had spotting, PMS, breast tenderness, and now I appear to either be gaining weight rapidly or bloating. I feel so gross. Will these side effects even out?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer