| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Disappearing Ink wrote:
I've read through some of the thread, so I'm prepared for pain and heavier periods, but what peas me off is bleeding between periods. Did any of you who have the copper one experience anything like that?

I haven't experienced that, thank goodness!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I haven't experienced any of that either, either with my first or second IUD.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

ETA, reading about how much some people have had to pay reminds me how much love the NHS. Paying for healthcare seems so alien to me, but I guess we're lucky here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:46 am 
Chard Martyr

I made my appt for my Mirena! July 16! So excited!
I hope beyond hope that what the insurance peeps said to me is true- that I won't have to pay anything for it as of July 1.
Definitely calling on Monday to make sure. So excited!
Going to take lots of ibuprofen for insertion. Sorry it sucked, j-dub.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:43 pm 
Chard Martyr

Just got my Mirena inserted. HOLY PAIN BALLS when they opened and measured my cervix (felt like the most massive cramp ever). Less pain but for longer period of time when she did the actual insertion. I just kept breathing as instructed and made it through. No passing out, no other craziness.
I was given the cervix opening meds beforehand and also took 800mg ibuprofen. I'm on day 3 of my period.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

couroupita wrote:
Disappearing Ink wrote:
I've read through some of the thread, so I'm prepared for pain and heavier periods, but what peas me off is bleeding between periods. Did any of you who have the copper one experience anything like that?

I haven't experienced that, thank goodness!

I haven't either! I used to have occasional between period bleeds prior to my IUD, don't think it's ever happened since I got the thing.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:34 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Meggs wrote:
...HOLY PAIN BALLS....

Indeed. I'm actually already nervous about having to have it changed once the five years are up!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Disappearing Ink wrote:

Not at all! My periods have always been like clockwork, though, with nothing going on in between. I clearly inherited a punctual and efficient German uterus from my mother's side of the family.

I had an MRI last week and totally forgot about my IUD until I was about to go in, oops. The MRI operator lady freaked out a bit and made me hold an alarm thing to call her and stop the machine if I felt anything going on down there, but nothing happened. I guess the side effect of having no side effects is completely forgetting that I have this thing in me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 pm 
Chard Martyr

Erinnerung wrote:
completely forgetting that I have this thing in me.
I hope I forget. Currently I'm a little preoccupied with it and am afraid to pee and stuff, just because I recall that crazy cervix-opening pain and it makes me want to cross my legs forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:56 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Meggs wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
completely forgetting that I have this thing in me.
I hope I forget. Currently I'm a little preoccupied with it and am afraid to pee and stuff, just because I recall that crazy cervix-opening pain and it makes me want to cross my legs forever.

When I got my IUD (~3 years ago) I was really nervous about pooping for the first couple days, which I knew was ridiculous but couldn't help. It took me around 2 weeks to get used to/comfortable with the fact that there was something in my body.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

After I got over some initial silliness about my partner's piercings causing problems and just being really nervous it would hurt like hell, I decided to take the plunge and got a paraguard about 6 weeks ago. I had no real pain during insertion and only felt a little crampy a few hours later. I was totally dreading my first period with it but all that happened was I had super-light only-when-I-wipe bleeding for like 3 days and then a pretty heavy period for another 3 days. That was a bit of a bummer because before the IUD I've always had very light 3 day periods, but maybe this will improve.

in any case, I already have 2 kids (both via c-section) and don't think we will have another, so I'm really stoked that this will last 10 years. To be honest, at that point I will be nearing the end of my childbearing years anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

vegetalion wrote:
When I got my IUD (~3 years ago) I was really nervous about pooping for the first couple days, which I knew was ridiculous but couldn't help. It took me around 2 weeks to get used to/comfortable with the fact that there was something in my body.
Ok good, so I'm not weird then! It's getting better. Boyfriend had a bad experience with a past partner with an IUD who maybe had their coils too long and it hurt him? So he was nervous about sexytimes, but we're working through that. Ha.
The NP who put my IUD in said I may have spotting for a while (2-3 weeks?). So far the only difference was my period/bleeding lasted about 2 days longer than it usually does. I'm hopeful.

What other changes can I expect/have people experienced in the first month?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:04 am 
Nailed to the V

After a few months without the Mirena, I now know I'm definitely one of the people who do best without an IUD. It's such a relief to have my period and know that after it's over, I won't be bleeding again for weeks! However, I'm glad I tried IUDs and will encourage others to do so too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My IUD is making me get spotting quite often each month lately. It'll go on for like two weeks, leaving me with a week prior to my period blood free, and the one after only. Last summer this happened and I called my doctor who said it was because the copper in the paragaurd thinned the lining of my uterus and prescribed me estridol to take for a few weeks to make the estrogen help it regrow thicker. I called today about this, because I assumed that I needed it again, and spoke with the nurse practitioner on the phone who said that I may just need to wait it out. I asked her to leave a message for my doc and have her call me back, because last time the estrogen made it go away until about this april. I want to take it again so the lining will get thickened and everything, since not only will I have no more random bleeding, but I will probably be healthier in that condition. I hope she calls back and does prescribe it, but I don't really know what I should do now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:05 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Meggs wrote:
vegetalion wrote:
Ok good, so I'm not weird then! It's getting better. Boyfriend had a bad experience with a past partner with an IUD who maybe had their coils too long and it hurt him? So he was nervous about sexytimes, but we're working through that. Ha.
The NP who put my IUD in said I may have spotting for a while (2-3 weeks?). So far the only difference was my period/bleeding lasted about 2 days longer than it usually does. I'm hopeful.

What other changes can I expect/have people experienced in the first month?

I got mine in May and I seem to not have a period anymore and mostly the cramping is gone. Very occasionally I'll get a bit of cramping when I move funny. Otherwise it's like it doesn't exist!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:22 pm 
Chard Martyr

j-dub wrote:
I got mine in May and I seem to not have a period anymore and mostly the cramping is gone. Very occasionally I'll get a bit of cramping when I move funny. Otherwise it's like it doesn't exist!
THANK YOU!! I can't wait for this side effect. It's only been a week but I've not really had spotting or anything else.

I'm hopeful the IUD will help my PMS symptoms since I'll have consistent hormones. Has anyone experienced this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:35 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Meggs wrote:
j-dub wrote:
THANK YOU!! I can't wait for this side effect. It's only been a week but I've not really had spotting or anything else.

I'm hopeful the IUD will help my PMS symptoms since I'll have consistent hormones. Has anyone experienced this?

Yep! That's the main reason I have it (and was on the pill before it)--my period is a forking monster. I'd say I get a day every month where I'm a teeny bit crampy and a little more tired than usual but that's about it. My usual PMS involves being awake until 5 am the night before plus a panic attack, cramps and back pain so bad I can barely move, and so exhausted that I was convinced every month that I had mono again (evidently it takes me a long time to make the connection...). Now, a tiny bit of cramping and I'm done!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:22 am 
Chard Martyr

Oh my gosh, j-dub, thank you. I'm so hopeful, even moreso now. I'm seriously an awful person during my week of PMS. Really the best I can do is stay away from people I love because everything they do is annoying and I don't like them and they're ridiculous so I'm a complete bisque.... and I think it's real until every freaking month it ends and I feel better and oh yes, it's PMS not reality. Every month I want to break up with my boyfriend. After the first time I actually did, I decided I shouldn't make any major decisions during that week.
So, I get that you didn't make the connection for some time because I'm convinced my symptoms are real life and not PMS.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Meggs wrote:
Oh my gosh, j-dub, thank you. I'm so hopeful, even moreso now. I'm seriously an awful person during my week of PMS. Really the best I can do is stay away from people I love because everything they do is annoying and I don't like them and they're ridiculous so I'm a complete bisque.... and I think it's real until every freaking month it ends and I feel better and oh yes, it's PMS not reality. Every month I want to break up with my boyfriend. After the first time I actually did, I decided I shouldn't make any major decisions during that week.
So, I get that you didn't make the connection for some time because I'm convinced my symptoms are real life and not PMS.

Have you tried taking some Maca Maca for the PMS? That stuff helps me so much!

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:42 am 
Chard Martyr

sarahnorine wrote:
Have you tried taking some Maca Maca for the PMS? That stuff helps me so much!
No! Tell me more! Do I take it all the time as a supplement or just near PMS time? What will it help? If you say, "take it all the time and it will help everything related to PMS" I will try it.

So I'm 12 days into this IUD thing and I've got some breast tenderness and spotting but that's all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 pm 

So in other news, my doc did prescribe birth control, I'm supposed to take it for 2 months to regulate my bleeding and stuff. It is not fun. Birth control does not agree with me, hence the iud, and now I'm nauseous all day long. Can't wait till this is over. I've talked to my doc about it, and she said if its really bad I only have to do one month, but still. I just want to sit around and not move, because I will throw up most likely if I move around too fast. Have been every day at least once. It makes me glad I can normally tolerate having an iud just fine. I don't know what I'd do if I had to take this stuff normally.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My Mirena is due to expire this year. I had a regular, although light, period thoughout the 5 years which annoys me to no end as suppressing my period was mostly why I chose this IUD in the first place. I've also had increasingly long and increasingly painful menstrual cramps, up to 3 weeks of cramps per month towards the end.

I really wanted to love my Mirena, we were perfect for each other on paper. Now I have no idea what to exchange it for. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:55 am 
Inflexitarian

There's a stupidly long wait at the only place around here that fits IUDs, so I have to wait until 3rd September for mine. Wah!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:48 pm 

Disappearing Ink wrote:
There's a stupidly long wait at the only place around here that fits IUDs, so I have to wait until 3rd September for mine. Wah!

Lucky lucky uk/eu people. I had to wait about 3 months, and i'm sure you won't have to pay nearly what I did (makes me sad to say how much). Less than I'd have to pay for birth control apparently, cause as mentioned before i have to take birth control this month for some bleeding irregularities and its $36 a month, meaning 10 years of that would be over $4,000!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

vegetable_assassin wrote:
Lucky lucky uk/eu people. I had to wait about 3 months, and i'm sure you won't have to pay nearly what I did (makes me sad to say how much). Less than I'd have to pay for birth control apparently, cause as mentioned before i have to take birth control this month for some bleeding irregularities and its $36 a month, meaning 10 years of that would be over $4,000!
I waited until my insurance company had to go with the affordable care act womens preventative health thing and mine was free. Which is awesome.

Ok guys, so I've had the Mirena for 2 weeks and 2 days. I've had spotting, PMS, breast tenderness, and now I appear to either be gaining weight rapidly or bloating. I feel so gross. Will these side effects even out?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next