| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

For anyone who has gone through childbirth and is now worried, I promise that getting an IUD after having a baby barely hurts at all compared to getting one before having a baby! I had an IUD inserted both before and after baby and the second one was a breeze -- like, only a quick twinge. After this baby I will be getting Paragard #3 and I am psyched about it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm forking annoyed. I found out this morning I'm losing my health insurance in 6 weeks, so I wanted to make an appointment to get this done right away. Turns out my insurance doesn't even cover it! I cannot pay $1500 out of pocket. It will pay for itself if I get 10 years out it, but that's a lot of money to pay upfront.

I think my income is too high to qualify for any sliding scale pricing at PP, but I will ask anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had a not-great experience with Mirena. I had it inserted about two years ago after the birth of my second child. For me, there were a lot of little side effects that added up over time, and I think the hormones were just not compatible with me. I lost my sex drive, and sex never really felt good or like normal. I had some amount of cramping almost every day. I felt really distanced from my own life.
After being in therapy and going on and off antidepressants, I had one last thing to try: removing the mirena. It's been just a few weeks, but I'm already feeling better. No more cramps and my sex drive is already back at full force!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

PP said they will do the 10 year copper one for $655. That's not bad I guess? I made an appointment for next week. Not sure if I should do it now or wait until I maybe have insurance again one day. Decisions!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

mandycoot wrote:
For anyone who has gone through childbirth and is now worried, I promise that getting an IUD after having a baby barely hurts at all compared to getting one before having a baby! I had an IUD inserted both before and after baby and the second one was a breeze -- like, only a quick twinge.

Completely agreed!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm thinking about getting an IUD, well, actually I'm getting one next week! I already have my appointment.. I'm a bit worried because I'll also quit the pill, after 12 years. I decided to ride my own mix of hormones for a while since I haven't since I was a teenager and see how it's like :). Do you think my doctor will let me take the pill at least till I have my checkup in 6 weeks while having a IUD?

I don't know which one to choose.. Here in Canada we have the Nova T 200 available (out of the question for me, I find 200 mm2 copper is not enough after reading stuff here and there), the Mona Lisa which is a generic brand that mimics other brands for 2-5 or 10 years (like Nova T 380 and the Gyne-T), the Liberte 380 (TT380) and Flexi T 380. Some are more like solid Ts (like the Paragard) while others seems more flexible and don't have copper on the arms. I never had children and I would like to, someday.. 2 years seems too quick and 10 years seems like it's not gonna happen, so a 5 years model is a comfortable mental space for me. Any suggestions / story to help me? I'm a little at loss. Can we assume ther's no BPA in there?

I am excited/scared :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

I decided on the Liberte TT380 Short, it's like a smaller Paragard from what I understand. My doctor said I should expect 3 cramps at the insertion and a couple cramps for 2 to 3 days after, but that's it! She says I'll only need to take a couple extra strong Ibuprofen before.. because it's not that painful for most women she seen, just unpleasant. She seems very used to it so that's a bit reassuring.

She said I could continue the pill for a while if I wish to, not a *problem*, though the IUD should be enough for contraception right away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

missopposite wrote:
I decided on the Liberte TT380 Short, it's like a smaller Paragard from what I understand. My doctor said I should expect 3 cramps at the insertion and a couple cramps for 2 to 3 days after, but that's it! She says I'll only need to take a couple extra strong Ibuprofen before.. because it's not that painful for most women she seen, just unpleasant. She seems very used to it so that's a bit reassuring.

She said I could continue the pill for a while if I wish to, not a *problem*, though the IUD should be enough for contraception right away.

Just a head's up, I was told that it would be easy peasy (Mirena) and it was SO forking PAINFUL. I had to call a friend to pick me up because I didn't feel like I could get home on the bus myself. So it seems like responses are sort of all over the place.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I cancelled my appointment because it was still too much money for me to spend right now.

Maybe I will magically wake up tomorrow with good insurance!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ashley, are you familiar with Family PACT? I'm guessing your income is probably too high to qualify, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:39 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ashley wrote:
I cancelled my appointment because it was still too much money for me to spend right now.

Maybe I will magically wake up tomorrow with good insurance!

Yeah, that's a lot of money. That was my fear when I got mine but somehow my student insurance actually paid for it. I felt like I hit the jackpot. It's pretty shitty that the long term birth control options are the least affordable. Do you not have any insurance at all or just really crappy insurance?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:00 pm 
Chard Martyr

mandycoot wrote:
For anyone who has gone through childbirth and is now worried, I promise that getting an IUD after having a baby barely hurts at all compared to getting one before having a baby! I had an IUD inserted both before and after baby and the second one was a breeze -- like, only a quick twinge. After this baby I will be getting Paragard #3 and I am psyched about it.
My friend who just had a baby also had the same experience. Mine was pretty painful but able to function normally about 20 mins after procedure.

Ashley, I PMed you but maybe the affordable care act can help you with this? My insurance said it would be $1000 (because I never met my deductible) and PP quoted me $1200 but since my new insurance is down with affordable care act, I paid nothing ($25 for consult and $25 for follow up appt). But like, YAY.

So I'm 10.5 weeks post-insertion and PMS seems to be not as severe. No period since I got it. Had about 3 weeks of spotting. More acne than I'm used to but I hope that will go away. Most annoying bit is that PMS is random where it used to be super predictable; now I have no idea since the hormones are doing their thing.

SO CLOSE TO THE 3 MONTH MARK, J-DUB!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:40 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Meggs wrote:
SO CLOSE TO THE 3 MONTH MARK, J-DUB!

Yay 3 month magic! I also get pretty random PMS, but I'm not actually sure if it's random or if I just don't track it cause I'm out of practice and don't get a real period.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yeah, I was also going to bring up the affordable care act.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

So my insertion (copper coil) was painful but mostly uncomfortable... weird kind of pain, man. At least it was quick. 30 mins for the whole appointment! I thought I wouldn't bleed because I had my period 2 weeks prior and that's also what my doc thought.. I haven't the first day, but now it's ON. I'll have another period in 2 weeks when my pack of pills is done, I hope I won't have any problems from bleeding so much. I had cramps the first day but it has gone very quickly. No pain or discomfort, no scare when pooping :) I think it's going well and I can't wait to have my follow up appointment and stop the pill. It's gonna be a trip!

Quote:
Just a head's up, I was told that it would be easy peasy (Mirena) and it was SO forking PAINFUL. I had to call a friend to pick me up because I didn't feel like I could get home on the bus myself. So it seems like responses are sort of all over the place.

I had such a weird experience.. Cold sweat and out of breath, I screamed a little :) I couldn't drive but not because of the pain but because I was so spaced out after what happened.. I went to work the same day and I felt alright. I totally agree that everybody is going to have a different story.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jigglypuff wrote:
ashley, are you familiar with Family PACT? I'm guessing your income is probably too high to qualify, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case!

I am familiar with it, thank you. I used it for a bit in college when I was underemployed and had no money. I was so grateful for it. I'm sure I don't qualify anymore, though. My income is not high, but it's not terribly low and I'm single.

I have one more month of crappy insurance before I am totally uninsured. I still have to call and see if they will cover it now that we're into October and the Affordable Care Act. That would be amazingly good timing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:57 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm 12.25 weeks post-IUD insertion and I forgot what happens at 3 months? I just had another 1-1.5 weeks of spotty, clotty icky, but still not nearly as annoying as a period. My face has more spots on it than it normally ever does, even when I PMS. Other than that, sex is fine, no period since insertion, and hopefully my face issues will calm down soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I've had my Paragard for about a year and a half now (time flies!) and just had my first not totally horrible period with it. Still tons and tons of blood but weirdly no cramping at all.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:03 am 
Tofu Pup

It's been two whole weeks since my insertion and I am still bleeding a lot. I wonder if it's normal? I'm having my periods starting tomorrow and I don't know what to expect. Any exprience to share?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:40 pm 
Chard Martyr

Tentative to say this but I'm at like, 3.5 months post-insertion and I feel like (due to noticing other things like wanting to eat THE WORLD and being whinier) it's sort of PMS time, but I've not fallen off the ledge into some crazy dark hole like I used to with PMS. I suppose there is still time, but I'm hopeful that the hormones have levelled out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So, I have half-followed this thread and the Livejournal community for IUD's. What I have taken away from it is, people who have ok periods before have bad periods after and people who have terrible periods before have good periods after. Is that a fair summary? Also, if you (I) were to get an IUD and had gnarly side effects and elected to remove it, would those side effects go away? (Wasn't reading for that info. when I read the forums before, and I'm hoping someone here has a ready answer...)

NatureBoy and I _do not want kids_ (ever, let alone this early in a relationship) and he's getting anxious for me to make an IUD decision, which is why I ask. Right now, my periods are like clockwork and are awesomely negligible as far as PMS and etc. go, and I don't want to fork with a good thing. However, having bonus childproof (ish) protection would be great!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Lutin, are you looking only into the hormone-free (copper) options, or also into the Mirena? As a whole, periods tend to get heavier on the copper, and better or gone altogether on the Mirena. Which is why people with terrible periods would choose the Mirena - it's not that all IUDs make bad periods better (it's kind of dumb copper and Mirena are lumped into the same category because they have such different methods of actions and side effects).

I can only assume side effects that are mechanical (such as increased cramping) will go away immediately when the IUD is out, hormones or not. I have had friends experience longer (couple weeks to a month) emotional side effects when coming off hormones though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm only looking into the hormone-free copper options. (Agreed that it's unfortunate that they're lumped together, and that I did the same thing when asking such a specific question.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:37 am 
Chard Martyr

I have Mirena and it's been awesome with getting rid of my period but the part that I'm still struggling a bit with is the not knowing when my symptoms are PMS-related because I don't get my period anymore! I liked knowing EXACTLY when I was going to get my period and could therefore explain my mood change was due to PMS.
But other than that, no complaints, and I think that is getting better with time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:14 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've always had pretty easy periods, and they stayed easy and uneventful with the copper IUD (I've had two, one pre- and one post-baby).

Reply to topic  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next