| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:42 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

SoaringRaven wrote:
Quarantined, your experience sounds similar to mine. After the insertion I just laid on the table for an hour, and when I got up I was fine for a few seconds... then I found myself hobbling to the bathroom so I could throw up. Then my mom drove me home, I took a nap, and woke up fine.

Ugh, that is terrible, I'm sorry. I'm sorry yours has not worked out for you in the long run either. It seems to be quite a crepe shoot.

I am just over the two month mark and just had my checkup, and the placement seems to be fine, and my strings are tucked up so I don't feel them nor does my partner. Luckily I seem to be doing much better now and not having any significant cramping except during my period, and that is not too bad. However, although I have the non-hormonal Paragard, I am still transitioning off of oral hormonal birth control, so I imagine that once the hormones are completely out of my system I might have even heavier periods.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've had my IUD in for three months now. The first month was annoying with spotting, but honestly; at this point I've never been happier. After being on the pill for years I can't believe I didn't switch sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:27 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Has anyone had an IUD removed? Did that hurt or cause cramping afterward or anything like that? I'm mainly wondering if I will be able to go back to work after my appointment or if I should plan to go home for the rest of the day.

ETA: I don't know if it matters, but if it does, I had pretty severe cramping when it was inserted 4.5 years ago. It's a copper IUD (Nova-T).

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Lobster: I have a hormonal one, but a friend had a copper one and they tend to cause more cramping when inserted. Also, you may have a harder time adjusting once it's taken out. My source for this is a friend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

When I had my first copper Paragard removed (which was pre-baby) I had some minor period-style cramping and spotting afterward, but it subsided after an hour or so. I had severe cramping with insertion as well and was laid up all day on the couch with a heating pad on my uterus. With removal I drove the 25 minutes home and went about my day just fine, but I'm sure the experience could vary! I didn't feel any different after removal, either.

If anyone is wondering, the removal of my 2nd one post-baby wasn't even noticeable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:54 am 

Thanks! I might try to schedule it to work from home afterward just in case.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:14 pm 

Had mine removed today. It hurt for a bit right when he removed it, then I had about 5-10 minutes of cramping, and now I seem to be okay. A lot less drama than insertion!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yeah, I had a removal and reinsertion and it was painless! Compared to my first insertion that was bfalhufiwof%^%*&%*&^%2nry8 painful, it was a breeze!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was kind of worried earlier this week that my IUD was slipping out, but now I'm not sure. I had my period, and first I noticed my tampon was slipping down, which was weird. I took it out and put in a new one, and as I was pushing it up, I felt a pain. I kind of thought the IUD might be poking out of my cervix, but since then I haven't noticed anything, and couldn't feel anything up there with my fingers. I was going to call the doctor, but since I haven't felt anything it seems silly.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:53 am 
Chard Martyr

I've had my IUD for one year now (where did the time go?) and love it. My hormones seem to be a bit crazy still (i.e. more acne than I've had in my whole life, but that being said, it's not super bad), my PMS is still really bad some months, but man oh man I love it. The only time my partner sort of feels the strings are right before I'm due for my period, then they tuck back up (is he crazy or is this possible?) so we are super happy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:24 am 
Semen Strong

What do people think about the latest study on breast cancer risks in women using a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system? The study done in Finland covered only women using levonorgestrel IUDs for treatment of menorrhagia, but I wonder if the finding that it is associated with higher breast cancer risk is still applicable in populations that are using it for birth control. I'm trying to better understand, because there is so much fear around this topic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25004338/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Has anyone here had an IUD at a young age, pre babies? I went to the doctor today to discuss it, and she reffered me to the sexual health doc who will need to "counsel" me and check its ok for me to have one, being that I'm so young (21). Apparently they may have to sedate me to put it in?

Of course that doc is away until September, and that's just for the first appointment, it'll be October before I can actually get one...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:29 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I got mine right around my 24th birthday (can't remember if it was before or after my birthday, so I may have been 23) and no babies. I asked a friend of mine who is a nurse and who has a very strong interest in reproductive health care where I should go where I would actually be allowed to get one without hassle, and she recommended a women's health clinic to me that was awesome and where the doctor didn't question my choice at all, just reviewed all the facts about the IUD I wanted to make sure I knew them. She also told me that the copper IUDs are only approved for use for 10 years in the U.S., but that in other countries they're approved for up to 12 years...

Anyway, I don't know much about healthcare practices in the UK, was the first doctor you went to a G.P.? I think it's usually gynecologists or other women's healthcare practitioners who would give you one here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:00 pm 

I told my family doctor/GP I wanted an IUD when I was 24 or so (no babies) and she didn't even bat an eyelash. Granted that's a little older than you (21) but I don't see why you would need counselling about it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

@Claire - Here in the UK you have to see a GP before you can see a gynaecologist, you can't just go straight.

@lobster - Yeah I'm not really sure what is meant by counselling! We're not usually crazy like that in the UK so I'm assuming it was just a turn of phrase by the doctor I saw. I have had lots of issues with BC pills and other meds so I guess they need to be sure I'll be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:16 pm 
Chip Strong

I got my first one when I was 21. The insertion hurt like a mother hubbard, but was worth it. I've never heard of doing it under sedation in the US, and obviously it's not necessary, but sounds kind of nice when I think back on that experience! IUDs are a great option even for teenagers and if that's not the feedback you get I hope it's possible for you to seek another opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was 24 as well. It seemed like my dr was almost giddy because few women knew about iuds and she was very happy to talk about options in reproductive health. This was at a gynecology office at the university hospital my student clinic referred me to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

I got my first one at 22, no babies. I did it through a low-cost women's health clinic and it was paid for by the state. They seemed downright psyched to give me an IUD! Insertion *really* hurt and I had cramps for a few hours but I was able to go for a run the next morning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks guys. I don't mind if insertation hurts cos at the moment I spend the first few days of my period in agony anyway. What's one days pain compared to every month for the rest of my life?

I think my doctor did seem kinda keen...just like she didn't know that much about it. It just sucks that the doctor that does is now away for a while. Selfish as that sounds haha.

When I've talked to a different doc at my old surgery (i just moved house) the sedation mentioned was more like a relaxant for your girly parts, which sounds like it would feel very weird but I get why it could help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:25 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Since you're having a bad time with your periods now, I assume you want a hormonal IUD right? The copper ones make your periods quite a bit worse.

I got my (copper) IUD at 28, no babies. My GP at the university practice had a lot of experience with insertion and gave me one without hesitation. I hurt, but if you breathe through it, it's no worse than really bad period cramps IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes, definitely hormonal! I'm looking at the Mirena. The copper coil sounds like a nightmare for sometime with period pain!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:49 am 
Inflexitarian

Vixki, as a fellow UK resident, I would recommend going straight to a family planning clinic, not to your GP. Since they do this kinda thing all the time, they're much more clued in. I got mine last year, at 25. I have no kids. I went to family planning and they didn't have to counsel me, but we did have to have a discussion to make sure I knew about any risks and side effects, and it was definitely what I wanted. Then they made an appointment for the insertion and that was that, really. They were very knowledgeable and didn't have any qualms about my age of lack of baby status.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:07 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Vixki, as a fellow UK resident, I would recommend going straight to a family planning clinic, not to your GP. Since they do this kinda thing all the time, they're much more clued in. I got mine last year, at 25. I have no kids. I went to family planning and they didn't have to counsel me, but we did have to have a discussion to make sure I knew about any risks and side effects, and it was definitely what I wanted. Then they made an appointment for the insertion and that was that, really. They were very knowledgeable and didn't have any qualms about my age of lack of baby status.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Find your closest family planning clinic and go there. They usually have drop in's for under 25's which is pretty convenient. I didn't get mine 'till I was 28 but it's awesome and I wish I'd gotten one earlier.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:36 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

jojo wrote:
Disappearing Ink wrote:

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Find your closest family planning clinic and go there. They usually have drop in's for under 25's which is pretty convenient. I didn't get mine 'till I was 28 but it's awesome and I wish I'd gotten one earlier.

It's best to go through family planning here too, they require an up to date smear test and test for a couple of stds (just to make sure you aren't at higher risk of infection), then it's referral to the hospital to have it fitted. Think it takes a few weeks to get it all sorted here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh ok, I may have a look and see about the family planning place here...no harm in giving a ring. My old place told me I had to go through the GP but tbh I'm not sure many people know what they're on about!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next