| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've had my Mirena for six months now, and I think I may have stopped getting my period. Last cycle it was really light, and I've had a bit over a week of cramps (that I didn't even need to take pain meds for! What is this magic?!?!), and not even spotting yet. I probably just jinxed myself, but that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

So I went to the drop in centre today to ask about getting a Mirena. To be honest I thought the nurse wasn't very helpful -she kept telling me that I should get a copper coil, even though I specifically said my main reason for getting one was pain. She also kept saying "You do realise this is an invasive procedure?" over again, which wasn't so encouraging.

But anyway, I booked in and am getting a Mirena fitted a week on Monday. Apparently if it doesn't suit or makes me sick or whatever its their policy not to take it out for six months at least, so I'm stuck, which is a little scary, but oh well..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Well that's a rather unfriendly introduction to the world of IUDs!

Aren't they going to test you for STDs before they insert the IUD? My doctor said it was standard procedure to test everyone even if they've been in a perfect monogamous relationship for 10 years, because you can get very nasty complications with your IUD if you have an STD.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 am 
Nailed to the V

Well, I don't know. Apparently ill have to do a pee on a stick pregnancy test on the day but they mentioned nothing about STDs or sexual history or anything like that. Tbh they didn't ask anything about my health at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

So I totally chickened out of getting my IUD put in. I think I want to find more information out about it first so I'm going to go back to the GP and make an appointment to discuss it with the women's health person there. It just nerves me out that if it makes me really bad they won't take it out for six months. I've had bad reactions to bc pills (both types) and I'm not convinced this won't do the same thing. I'm still not completely convinced I don't have something like endo going on as well. So I want to discuss it more rather than get it put in by the mardy nurse I saw.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

vixki wrote:
So I totally chickened out of getting my IUD put in. I think I want to find more information out about it first so I'm going to go back to the GP and make an appointment to discuss it with the women's health person there. It just nerves me out that if it makes me really bad they won't take it out for six months. I've had bad reactions to bc pills (both types) and I'm not convinced this won't do the same thing. I'm still not completely convinced I don't have something like endo going on as well. So I want to discuss it more rather than get it put in by the mardy nurse I saw.

Makes sense to me! I've been happy with my copper IUD for years, but my big sister had hers removed pretty quickly. Mileage varies! Plus, some of us are just more comfortable in ALL aspects of living if we can ask a zillion questions and do a lot of research beforehand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

vixki wrote:

I'm sure there are differences there, but in the US general practitioners will remove IUDs, just not insert them. So maybe you could have a different doctor remove it if you have issues?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks guys. I am totally the sort of person who likes to ask a million questions first. I tend to push past it on things that don't matter but I don't want to risk too much here, I'm jobseeking right now and getting ill would mess a lot up.

mandycoot - here in the UK you generally have to go through your Gp to get any sort of medical treatment, but for sexual stuff you have the option to go to a sorta "not many questions" NHS clinic
But the one I went to told me the NHS won't remove iuds until 6 months is up which I suspect is bull but either way I think I'd rather go somewhere else...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:38 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Wow vixki I'm sorry you had sush a shitty experience. It sounds very different to my experiences with the sexual health drop ins in Brighton. I'm pretty sure they did an std test before I got l the first one (copper) that I had a tonne of problems with. I did give it over 6 months to see if it'd settle but I've never heard of the NHS not removing them for at least 6 months, that seems odd. It sounds like you did totally the right thing walking away, if I ever feel uncomfortable wih someone who's going to be doing something invasive (be it a piercing or a medical procedure) I do the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:24 am 
Nailed to the V

Yeah I don't know why they were not so good. Perhaps if I'd done it in Leicester it'd be better, Loughborough is pretty small and as a student town it's the off season right now, maybe it's just not so great. I've got an appointment with my GP to talk about it in a couple of weeks to see what they say.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:53 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

When I got my Mirena they encouraged me to keep it for at least six months because some of the side effects (especially irregular bleeding) tend to go away after that time. Not the same as outright refusing to remove it, but maybe that's the reason?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:09 am 
Nailed to the V

Oh I get that totally. Just when I've been on previous birth control pills I've had really bad side effects (like, not being able to keep food down at all etc) and I don't want them to just say "nope, we're not taking it out" if I get really bad. I want the option to have it took out even if they would rather I keep it in longer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:31 am 

Did you tell them this and they still said they wouldn't remove it? Because that's crazy! I hope you find a sane NHS office and it works out for you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This has probably been asked already. Is it true that you can't use a menstrual cup with an IUD or is that bullshiitake?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I use a diva cup with mine. Never been an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm also an IUD + cup user, no issues.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:02 am 
***LIES!!!***

Oh good. After next pregnancy, I am thinking of switching to a copper IUD. I feel done with hormones and remembering stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:37 am 
Not NOT A Furry

couroupita wrote:
I use a diva cup with mine. Never been an issue.

Ditto. I think it'd take a LOT more than a cup to pull that sucker out. YCMV (your cervix may vary)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 am 
Saggy Butt

I use a Diva Cup with mine too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:55 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Me too. Also after having IUDs for so long, I can't imagine having to deal with pills! It's so easy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:31 am 
Nailed to the V

GP recommended I don't get an IUD, for some reason. She says because of all my other health problems she doesn't want to complicate anything, or something like that.

Put me on some birth control pills and I feel like total crepe. Told her that they would do that, hormones mess up my stomach. Hate this feeling sick constantly, ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:48 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm sorry vixki, that sounds like hell.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 pm 

Ariann wrote:
This has probably been asked already. Is it true that you can't use a menstrual cup with an IUD or is that bullshiitake?

I used both for about a year, worked well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29