| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:23 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I know that I can't be the only one dealing with this.

I have had it for years and am finally learning to deal better. I pop Vit. D and make sure I exercise as best I can (bad foot).

So this is the thread for support.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Post subject: Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:28 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Yeah my husband gets winter SAD I get summer SAD... this doesn't make for a great mix
I have us on vits this year so fingers x'd.
He's loads better sicne he quite the office job and now works outside.

I always thought I was nuts for feeling bad in the summer but found out since that summer SAD does exist!
Maybe I get too much vit D?

Last edited by HandsInTheDirtAgain on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:35 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

HandsInTheDirtAgain wrote:
Yeah my husband gets winter SAD I get summer SAD... this doesn't make for a great mix That's very funny!.
I have us on vits this year so fingers x'd.
He's loads better sicne he quite the office job and now works outside.

I always thought I was nuts for feeling bad in the summer but found out since that summer SAD does exist!
Maybe I get too much vit D? That's very funny!

That is interesting. I had no idea that summer SAD existed.
My hubby started a garden to combat boredom, but because we winter garden he has to get out every so often and deal with the yard. It really does make a difference.

I found for me having something fun for me (art) is a life saver. I force myself into the studio when it is bad.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:39 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I just want to stay in bed when its hot and sunny, then I feel bad because I SHOULD be doing stuff, its a nasty circle :P I'm better early morning and late at night, if I didn;t have other responsibilities (ie kids/school :( ) then I would just sleep from say 9am till @ 5pm and be up the rest of the day/night :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

i have summer SAD too! i always feel like a weirdo because all summer i whine and moan about how much i hate being hot, i don't want to do anything except sit inside with the shades drawn and lay in bed.

in the cooler seasons i really get into all the things i like, cooking, baking, knitting, sewing, etc. in the summer it is too much effort to even move.

working outside helped me this summer and living in a place where it doesn't get very hot too often. having a job i like and having to be outside helps me to get out of the house and be around people which really perks me up. i always get so excited when it gets to be september and cooler, shorter days happen and i get all happy for the holidays!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:12 am 
Dildo Queen

summer SAD definitely exists. suicide rates are highest in the summer!
for me, things start to die in january, but i'm still pretty okay, but fork man, february...fork that month.

sometimes i get anxxious thinking about march and april too because those months used to be really bad for me - spring was the worst - but i'm getting better now that i'm in university with a different schedule.

i'm just going to try and keep myself busy and keep my friends around me as much as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

try take melatonin before bed!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:42 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Have you tried light therapy? My bf wants to try it as he's been feeling really down and lethargic. He will get a light from here http://www.day-lights.com/ I'm not doing too bad this fall, but I'll try it out too to see if it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:45 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

littlebear wrote:
i have summer SAD too! i always feel like a weirdo because all summer i whine and moan about how much i hate being hot, i don't want to do anything except sit inside with the shades drawn and lay in bed.

in the cooler seasons i really get into all the things i like, cooking, baking, knitting, sewing, etc. in the summer it is too much effort to even move.

wow, this is me perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:54 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

von m wrote:
Have you tried light therapy? My bf wants to try it as he's been feeling really down and lethargic. He will get a light from here http://www.day-lights.com/ I'm not doing too bad this fall, but I'll try it out too to see if it helps.

I haven't tried it. In part because I felt I was getting too much conflicting information about the amount of time and when was best, etc. However, I have heard that for some people it is a life saver. And we may be using lights this winter for the seed garden anyway...

What is interesting to me is that I was worse before I moved. We lived in a high desert with lots of sun in the summer and in the winter. Here there is fog and gray a lot. But I am dealing better, or at least I feel like I am. I wonder how much of mine was because of physical temperatures.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:03 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

My husband gets this in the winter. He got a SAD light last year and said that it helped. Between that and vitamin D, I think he did a lot better last year than previous winters. Fingers crossed for this year - it's supposed to be a very winter-y winter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:11 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

von m wrote:

I use the light therapy in the winter... You can get the light bulbs from hardware stores and places like walmart and target... You don't have to order them online and the prices are fairly cheap at the store.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:20 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Put me in for summer SAD too! When I lived in Maine it was fine because it was really only bad for about 3 weeks total, but in NC? Hell.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:59 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Don't forget to get at least 15 minutes of direct sunlight (not through a window!) a day if you live in an area where that is possible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:03 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

I had my first bout of SAD this year. We had this horrible, horrible winter, with more snow than I can remember seeing before(I moved, but only 90 miles from where I lived before) and winter storm after winter storm. I was seriously depressed, and then then winter just ended like it ran into a brick wall, and I was fine. If it happens again I'm going to start tanning once a week or so; using the tanning bed for up to 10 minutes on the lowest-intensity beds was recommended to me by a dermatologist for an unrelated skin condition when it got out of control, so I figure the benefits outweigh the potential risks, and the lamps and tanning beds provide the same sort of light.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:53 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I have been tempted to try out light therapy. I am not diagnosed with SAD but I know I get more lethargic and depressed in the winter. This winter will be the worst. last year in school and I no longer live with any friends or family so it's MUCH lonelier.

If it makes it may more accessible I know Best Buy carries Phillips light therapy lights starting at $99 bucks. Directions say to use work your way up to 20 minutes a day, usually first thing in the morning. I was planning on just setting my alarm clock 20 minutes early and soaking in the light while still laying in bed. I am buying on tomorrow so I will let everyone know how it works on me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

IsaChandra wrote:
Don't forget to get at least 15 minutes of direct sunlight (not through a window!) a day if you live in an area where that is possible.

I don't think they make sunshine here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:52 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I get pretty bad depression in the darker, winter months and since I've moved to the Netherlands where that's the norm more often than not (plus lots of rain), I've been looking into ways to treat it. I was switched to a new BC because I deal with lots of emotional, PMDD symptoms and I can tell already that's going to help. But my partner and I are ordering a light therapy lamp and I'm going to look into popping a vitamin D pill.

Those of you that take vitamin D, are you doing that in addition to the D already in your multivitamin?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

please remember that vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin! it will be stored in your fat cells and it is released when your body needs it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:21 am 
Level 7 Vegan

kfad wrote:
I know that I can't be the only one dealing with this.

I have had it for years and am finally learning to deal better. I pop Vit. D and make sure I exercise as best I can (bad foot).

So this is the thread for support.

I didn't know that Vitamin D could help with SAD! This is good to know; we don't get much actual sun here in Feburary and March, when I'm at my worst.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:13 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Vitamin D is a big help for a lot of people. I take it in addition to my regular multivitamin. You can get your levels checked and there is a super prescription strength. (I can get all of the info when I get home today).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kfad wrote:
I found for me having something fun for me (art) is a life saver. I force myself into the studio when it is bad.

i'm gonna have to try something like this - i really don't have too many fun things go'n on because i get so stuck in the whole "gym, work, home, dinner, internets" cycle. i get a little winter SAD around the beginning of march (i'm just sick of it all by then) and i definitely get summer SAD around june through august. i should pick up knitting again, and i have wanted to try mandalas as well - maybe i can work on practicing piano again, too. there was so much that i used to do that i just don't do anymore. i need to work on this, especially when SAD hits. it gets pretty bad. :( making a note on the vitamin D, too. thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:29 pm 
Ignore this!

Blech, I am sick of my SAD. I double my meds every fall, then cut them back again in the spring. That helps, and light therapy helps, but nothing gets rid of it. I just want to lie in bed 24/7, but I am used to just forcing myself to do stuff for the sake of those around me. Exercise helps too -- it's another thing I force myself to do. I do take Vit D, not sure if it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't think I have SAD but I definitely don't feel as happy during winter and I've noticed for the last two years in August/September I feel like I've woken up. I feel amazingly happy and energetic compared to June/July.

I also dislike extreme heat so the peak of summer here can be horrible but I do enjoy lying in the sun, I just don't want to have to do anything else!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:08 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

With every passing year, I seem to find it more difficult to deal with the cold, dark weather. Last year was particularly challenging, since my mom was in and out of hospital with what would prove to be her final bout with breast cancer, and I was in the midst of a particularly harrowing semester. I read somewhere - probably on the PPK, actually - about the possible benefits of taking extra vitamin D, and started being really vigilant about that. I have to say that it did seem to help, so I've started on the same course as the days shorten this year. I also find that making sure I eat good, nutritious food, and getting outside for a little exercise (and I hate being outside when it's cold!) goes a long way to making me feel better overall. Hang in there, and remember what Shelley said: "O Wind,/ If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"