| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Knee/Leg/Foot Health When Working On Your Feet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:44 am 
WELFARIST!

I work on my feet and am usually on them for about 10 hours a day while also lifting things, bending down, going up and down ladders, etc. I'm starting to have some awful foot, knee and leg problems. The foot and leg problem is starting to get better now that I've ditched my old shoes but my knee has been killing me lately. It's been so sore that I've been having to take two naproxen every day and it even hurts when I'm not on it. I can't not be on my feet all day so I'm wondering if a, this will go away and b, how do I prevent this in the future? I've tried a couple of different insoles- one which was an athletic insole and the other was Dr. Scholl's Work Insoles. I just bought new boots and will be investing in some new work boots soon, as well.

Post subject: Re: Knee/Leg/Foot Health When Working On Your Feet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I don't know if this would help, but I'm a huge fan of using a resistance band to strengthen the gluteus medius muscles. Those keep our femurs straight. Women are built a bit wider at the hips, and it can cause the femur to go in toward our knees and cause pain.

Here's a video for basic band walks.

And here's a link from Runner's World with a video with more exercises.
http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/the-body-shop-band-aid?cm_mmc=NL-TrainingExtra-_-1345354-_-07022013-_-Six-Moves-to-Prevent-And-Cure-Knee-Pain

Have you done the Dr. Scholl's machine thing where they prescribe an insole based on how you stand and whatnot?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:45 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yes to NDP's suggestions on the exercises. I think that will go a long way in helping knee problems in the future. Can you be more specific about your other leg/feet problems? I fought PF and a bunch of tendonitis issues awhile back so fancy myself as having (unfortunately) some amateur knowledge about this subject...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yes to strengthening the gluteus medius muscle. It's really the key to so many lower body injuries. I would also suggest getting a foam roller and doing some rolling/self massage at night to try and loosen up tight muscles. http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-trea ... age=single
And ice the sore spots when you get home.

Unfortunately, the reality is that your pain probably isn't going to go away unless you treat it with a injury recovery plan that gets to the source of the problem: mechanics; weak spots; imbalances; strains or tears; tightness, etc . Physiotherapy is often the way to go, but can be cost-prohibitive. Check out this website and see if you can self-diagnose a little bit. It's running focused, but really this pain sounds like an overuse injury (which is what most running injuries are anyway) so don't let that dissuade you. There is a list of symptoms and exercises to do as well. http://runninginjuryclinic.com/resource ... ssessment/

I would go to the doctor if you can as well. Just to make sure its not something more serious like a stress fracture or an acute injury which would need serious healing time to get better.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:34 am 
WELFARIST!

emmalv wrote:
Can you be more specific about your other leg/feet problems?

Thank you, everyone!

Sometimes they will hurt so badly that I cannot stand or bend. My feet will hurt along with my legs, knees, lower back and occasionally my hips. When I come home I will usually lay down for a while and try not to move my legs but they will still be in some intense pain.

I put insoles in all of my shoes and my legs, knees, feet, etc are feeling better but I still feel a dull pain in my knees, especially my left one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Really good shoes, and orthotics if you can swing them. I eventually ended up in compression stockings which suck, but leave my legs much less tired and fatigued at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, really good shoes. Whatever they cost, get good shoes.

Shoes don't make my back hurt less, but bad shoes sure do make it worse.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Can you see a physical therapist? They can help you figure out why you are having the pain and what you need to strengthen. Good shoes are so important too.