| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: my dr told me not to eat a lot of grains....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:03 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

FootFace wrote:
I don't know. I still can't believe that eating lots of, say, brown rice—in addition to fruits and vegetables and beans—is a bad thing. As long as your overall calorie intake is reasonable.

Well, I think the issue is if your overall calorie intake is reasonable, and you're eating enough fruits/veggies/beans/whatever, that doesn't leave a whole lot of plate space for grains once you're done with everything else. It leaves SOME. My point, probably poorly made, is that thinking about the balance is a good thing, particularly with all the "contains whole grains" marketing on food products that are essentially junk food.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

jordanpattern wrote:
But the doctor didn't say to avoid whole grains. She simply said that LP didn't NEED to eat a LOT of them, which is perfectly reasonable. You may think that doctors giving nutrition advice are talking out of their asparagi, and that's fine, but I'd hope you wouldn't expect anyone to take the word of an internet stranger over their doctor, asparagus talking or not.

I guess it depends on the internet stranger. The advice of internet strangers (with good reason to believe in their advice) on medical things has actually totally saved my asparagus on more than one occasion. And the advice of internet strangers on just checking my gut feelings on stuff has been hugely helpful on more than one occasion. I am a big fan of crowd sourcing - internet strangers are still people, who may be more knowledgeable than I on whatever subject. People are responsible for making their own determinations about the value of the advice given.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think the point she was driving out though a tad poorly presented was the vegs should be a larger portion than the grains, as even whole grains you can O.D. on ive just never heard anyone ever say "gee you better watch how many of those whole grains you eat!" (that's not how she put it just how it sounded to me)

the funny thing is i probably should cut back a bit because overeating is a big problem i have. and i dont (typically) eat bad stuff. i eat pretty healthy but i chow down pretty hard.

we werent talking about my weight or anything though so it just sounded odd to me when she was telling me.

i dont totally agree with her though. i mean i get no one should be eating buckets and buckets of whole grains i do think a healthy portion is good for the fiber and to fill you up. i personally cant get full on just vegs.

i see no issue eating whole grains a lot (within reason) if you dont have some sort of other medical issue where you would need to watch your carbs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Gosh, I wish there were vegan RD's and that they would write a food guide for vegans. Wait! There are and they did!

Quote:
Grains and Starchy Vegetables --5 or more servings per day